Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Uthor posted:

She needs the internet, LastPass, printer drivers, and wiil touch absolutely nothing else if I'm not there to tell her exactly what to do.

I hope you can get her off of LastPass at some point. The security track record there — and their handling of the incidents — is truly awful. I wouldn’t trust it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Internet Explorer posted:

please, learn from my mistakes
let me go, let me die in peace
:negative:

You will live eternal on Windows 10 LTSC as the only browser it comes with.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rexxed posted:

You will live eternal on Windows 10 LTSC as the only browser it comes with.

2021 has edge

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Please for the love of god stop recommending people LTSB/LTSC for no reason.

I'm pretty sure it was clear it wasn't recommended in this case.

It is possible with a little work to go from ltsc to a normal build through an upgrade, I've done it before

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

please, learn from my mistakes
let me go, let me die in peace
:negative:

Now I'm wondering what the mistake was. I have been using LTSB/LTSC essentially since Windows 10 launched because lmao gently caress having ads in the operating system and I haven't really had any issues; I presume that's not a common outcome?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Don't literally be internet explorer and get used way past your natural life span. That is the mistake the joke refers to.

E: like it's literally not a reference to anything else discussed earlier

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

crestfallen posted:

I hope you can get her off of LastPass at some point. The security track record there — and their handling of the incidents — is truly awful. I wouldn’t trust it at all.

I don't want to :can: but what's the benefit of a password manager like that and not just using the built in browser password manager that I'm pretty sure they all have now?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I just use the Google one. I guess it would be cool to keep them all locked up myself but using Chrome and a pixel means it's just convenient

I will say passkey wouldn't be as annoying if I still used my pixel 4.

Does anyone have a usb thumb reader or anything for their PC? My laptop (dell XPS) and phone have one of course, but I've always considered a 30$ usb finger print reader for the sake of convenience but never get past pontificating

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Do any of the browser password managers need to be unlocked before auto filling?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

I don't want to :can: but what's the benefit of a password manager like that and not just using the built in browser password manager that I'm pretty sure they all have now?

Better security, works across all OS ecosystems, and your password vault is in the cloud so if your PC explodes you can easily recover. (Though you can sync in-browser passwords with a google or firefox account.)

Also IMO if your browser account is google, that's the account you want protected by a very strong password. My google account, via gmail, holds the recovery power for most of my other accounts. My google password is 16 random characters that I can't memorize, so stronger than my password manager's.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Do any of the browser password managers need to be unlocked before auto filling?

Firefox: by default passwords are not locally secure / encrypted at all. If you set up a firefox account and store them there, they are secured. You have to unlock with the FF account password every time you want to auto-fill. (Firefox's password manager is bad.)

Chrome: default password storage is secured by your OS -- so they are as strongly protected as your OS user password. I've not tried sync to google account so don't know exactly how that goes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Firefox: by default passwords are not locally secure / encrypted at all. If you set up a firefox account and store them there, they are secured. You have to unlock with the FF account password every time you want to auto-fill. (Firefox's password manager is bad.)

Chrome: default password storage is secured by your OS -- so they are as strongly protected as your OS user password. I've not tried sync to google account so don't know exactly how that goes.
Ah, I was only familiar with the Firefox local implementation, where you can just extract the clear passwords with some nirsoft tool. So it can be marginally better. Thanks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Now I'm wondering what the mistake was. I have been using LTSB/LTSC essentially since Windows 10 launched because lmao gently caress having ads in the operating system and I haven't really had any issues; I presume that's not a common outcome?

The main limitation is lack of Windows store, but that can supposedly be installed. Other than that, it's fine. I don't know what would go wrong, as such.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

slidebite posted:

Yep, agreed. The managers built into browsers work just fine as long as a “suggest / generate strong passwords” type setting is used. If they set up sync and the browser works for all the person’s devices etc, do it! If they don’t mind “manually” doing some 2FA stuff, totally fine!

Other external password managers work too. There are some more benefits there but I have no hesitation recommending the browser. It’s better than what most people do.

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 11, 2023

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Isn’t Win 10 Education basically the better replacement for LTSC? Has more updates, still not too much bloat, and you can just use Group Policy to lock yourself on Windows 10 22H2 or whatever.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Chrome auto-suggesting a gigantic mess of a password is absolutely amazing for things I will only ever open in chrome and would otherwise have set to "Dongslol69" so I will ever remember it

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Is there a better resource for learning how Windows works under the hood than the Windows Internals series of books?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

HalloKitty posted:

The main limitation is lack of Windows store, but that can supposedly be installed. Other than that, it's fine. I don't know what would go wrong, as such.

The lack of Windows Store is a desirable feature, though. You can't tell me people actually prefer it to just grabbing an installer file

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

bobfather posted:

Isn’t Win 10 Education basically the better replacement for LTSC? Has more updates, still not too much bloat, and you can just use Group Policy to lock yourself on Windows 10 22H2 or whatever.

Windows 10 won't get any more feature updates. It's finished. If I had to revive any system that's not supported by Windows 11 I would probably install Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 (note that it's version 21H2 and not the latest 22h2) as it's supported till 2027/2032.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lack of windows store is definitely a problem for casual users and I certainly wouldn’t want to be the one recommending or setting it up for them.

I’ve recommended an oddball build for a relative once. Never again :v:

LTSC or some custom Windows version is a neat project for power users but the (to be fair, annoying and regressive in design) newer version of Windows is necessary for anybody who calls for help or clicks on the first search result when they have a problem.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 13, 2023

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

MikusR posted:

Windows 10 won't get any more feature updates. It's finished. If I had to revive any system that's not supported by Windows 11 I would probably install Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021 (note that it's version 21H2 and not the latest 22h2) as it's supported till 2027/2032.

Ah, I didn’t know about that flavor of LTSC. I was mentioning that you’ll need to use group policy to lock at 22H2 on Win 10 Edu because if you don’t, you’ll wake up one morning and find that it’s updated itself to Win 11 without your consent.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm just guessing, but wouldn't LTSC lack new features like ryzen3d/intel scheduling tweaks, new gaming PC features and optimizations, auto HDR for my OLED monitor, and better multi monitor support?

I prefer chocolatey GUI as a package manager but windows store hijacked some of the stuff I installed, but using both keeps me 95% updated and security patched.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's trivial to edit one reg key to install Windows 11 on unsupported devices. Microsoft says they may block patches from these devices but they won't.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm just guessing, but wouldn't LTSC lack new features like ryzen3d/intel scheduling tweaks, new gaming PC features and optimizations, auto HDR for my OLED monitor, and better multi monitor support?

Yes. The post by MikusR is kinda dumb: LTSC isn't getting "feature" updates either. It just gets some extra years of security updates past standard Win10, which stops getting updates in 2025.

All flavors on 10 are now only getting security and bugfix updates.

For nerds and enthusiasts, TBQH you should either be looking at 11 or looking at getting away from Windows entirely. If you hate what MS does with your PC, leave MS. Attempting to fight against the current by pirating Enterprise LTSC is stupid.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

For nerds and enthusiasts, TBQH you should either be looking at 11 or looking at getting away from Windows entirely. If you hate what MS does with your PC, leave MS. Attempting to fight against the current by pirating Enterprise LTSC is stupid.

I guess, but it's a bit annoying that my perfectly decent-spec computer is getting told it's not good enough for Win 11, and while GreenNight is right that you can trivially bypass the block, I'm a little worried that by forcing unsupported hardware onto Win 11 I might end up getting bricked by an update.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody happen to have a new solution for the xbox app refusing to go beyond 1% on installing a game. all the google solutions are just uninstall it, reinstall it, reinstall gaming services, etc., which i've done, but doing that doesn't even clear the stuck 1% installation from the download queue. similarly gets stuck on canceling the installation and explorer doesn't let me delete the xboxgames folder

edit: never mind, posting about it made it work after a sixth restart for no reason

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 13, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreenNight posted:

It's trivial to edit one reg key to install Windows 11 on unsupported devices. Microsoft says they may block patches from these devices but they won't.

a more realistic concern is that DRM and anticheat systems may refuse to work on win11 systems that don't have TPM or secure boot - valorant is already doing that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't really used a torrent client for a while now. I think utorrent was the one of choice back when I did, but I believe that one's been riddled with malware or whatever since I last used it, right? what's the current best torrent client that doesn't have sketchy bullshit attached?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Invictus posted:

I haven't really used a torrent client for a while now. I think utorrent was the one of choice back when I did, but I believe that one's been riddled with malware or whatever since I last used it, right? what's the current best torrent client that doesn't have sketchy bullshit attached?

Qbittorrent

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Klyith posted:

Qbittorrent
thanks!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I prefer chocolatey GUI as a package manager but windows store hijacked some of the stuff I installed, but using both keeps me 95% updated and security patched.

Those features are in no version of Windows 10

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

Yes. The post by MikusR is kinda dumb: LTSC isn't getting "feature" updates either.
That's why i said that windows 10 is not getting any updates

The discussion was about what version of 10 to put on somebody's pc (that doesn't support 11) so it gets the longest possible life without excessive janitoring.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm losing my mind here.

I don't like how narrow the default Name column is in Explorer. I've set it to be wider, and I want to apply that to all subfolders of a given folder. It won't take. In Properties, I've set the parent folder to apply its template to all subfolders, and in Options>View, I've set it to apply to all folders of its type (and all the folders involved are of the General Items type). No matter what, the subfolders keep their current Name widths.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone have a recommendation for a video converter? I have some old home videos in a .vob container that I can play fine in MPC-BE but not through PLEX so I'd like to convert them, so far the following have not worked for me:

Handbrake
Tdarr
MakeMKV
Any Video Converter
Shutter Encoder
XMedia Reencode

I think the reason they all fail is because they all use ffmpeg in some form underneath but I don't know video stuff very well. I'd have given up already after trying so many different programs unsuccessfully but I can play the file so I figure there must be *some* way to convert it. The details, as given by MPC-BE, are these: https://0bin.net/paste/0XZ2z3Qg#0LvooQP9uFyhXGz51LEQmEQZrXQhKjot8197rzWprT-

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is anyone getting a weird behavior in Edge's web capture where the selection area isn't what they dragged inside the box? I just reinstalled Windows and I don't remember this happening in the last couple months.

This is row 1 for testing example
This is row 2 for testing example
This is row 3 for testing example

If my window is maximized, it behaves fine. But if I have it snapped to half the screen, it will actually capture lower.

Maximized

Snapped

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Here's an issue I'm facing:

I have too many fonts installed; this is a consequence of having done a lot of photoshopping over the years. A lot of the fonts I have were used for one project and then forgotten. I'd like to clean them up a little bit.

I also do a lot of work in Polish, and a lot of the fonts I have installed don't support Polish diacritic marks: ąćęńłóźż. Is there an easy way to get rid of every font that doesn't support these glyphs?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a video converter? I have some old home videos in a .vob container that I can play fine in MPC-BE but not through PLEX so I'd like to convert them, so far the following have not worked for me:

I think the reason they all fail is because they all use ffmpeg in some form underneath but I don't know video stuff very well. I'd have given up already after trying so many different programs unsuccessfully but I can play the file so I figure there must be *some* way to convert it. The details, as given by MPC-BE, are these: https://0bin.net/paste/0XZ2z3Qg#0LvooQP9uFyhXGz51LEQmEQZrXQhKjot8197rzWprT-

MakeMKV is for making DVDs (disk or folder) into mkv that you can feed Plex. So if you have those use it.
If you have just the VOBs just use handbrake. No ffmpeg knowledge needed. Choose the open a sigle file button then choose the needed preset and press the big green button.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
As mentioned above, Handbrake unfortunately is unable to convert the file. So far I've tried:

Handbrake
Tdarr
MakeMKV
Any Video Converter
Shutter Encoder
XMedia Reencode
VLC
mkvtoolnix
Avidemux
Davinci Resolve

All of which were either unable to read the file, or able to read it but not export/create a readable video from it.

The playback in MPC-BE works fine. I can skip around, the audio and video are in sync and the total and remaining time are shown correctly. These are the video properties: https://0bin.net/paste/CLWX8NW-#1jeY-gnBCBD4defLABXgoqRb0K4b48B/i609zIEOw8Q

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

As mentioned above, Handbrake unfortunately is unable to convert the file.

Does it show an error?
That video info looks like ordinary dvd vob.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 14, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MikusR posted:

Does it show an error?
That video info looks like ordinary dvd vob.

This is the log from trying to import into Handbrake: https://0bin.net/paste/cGuA0xTd#7S4Pcd3vab7YP3b7KYoaAmAgr0TeZTZ9VnHUtObNPBG

Relevant section seems to be:

code:
[21:06:52] hb_scan: path=C:\soft\video.VOB, title_index=0
udfread ERROR: ECMA 167 Volume Recognition failed
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:333: failed opening UDF image C:\soft\video.VOB
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:437: error opening file BDMV\index.bdmv
src/libbluray/disc/disc.c:437: error opening file BDMV\BACKUP\index.bdmv
[21:06:52] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
libdvdread: DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav: vm: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[21:06:52] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
Input #0, m4v, from 'C:\soft\video.VOB':
  Duration: N/A, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
  Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg4 (Simple Profile), none(tv), 52 tbr, 1200k tbn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Here's an issue I'm facing:

I have too many fonts installed; this is a consequence of having done a lot of photoshopping over the years. A lot of the fonts I have were used for one project and then forgotten. I'd like to clean them up a little bit.

I also do a lot of work in Polish, and a lot of the fonts I have installed don't support Polish diacritic marks: ąćęńłóźż. Is there an easy way to get rid of every font that doesn't support these glyphs?

I figured someone had something better for you but I opened up WSL / Debian and ran

code:
cd /mnt/c/Windows/Fonts
for a in * ; do fc-scan $a | grep lang | grep pl 1>/dev/null ; if [[ $? -eq 0 ]] ; then : ; else echo $a ; fi  ; done
and it spits out a list of fonts that don't explicitly say they support Polish as a language. I'd probably not dare just delete every one that fails since things like WingDings will necessarily not handle Polish, but should give you a list to work with.