Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Somewhere in this thread there was a post that discussed recommended things to do right away. My one remember where that is? I need to bookmark it.

I feel like the game is pushing me to go to the Rito area first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Ran in the opposite direction of plot stuff to go see how Hateno Village had changed and got caught up in a multi-step questline, got stuck on it for half an hour because I tried to do a convoluted method of getting into a silo via the wells that didn't even work when the actual solution was much easier. And then at the end my reward was a hideously fabulous pink wig that covers Link's face and also gives him blue lipstick

10/10 game, this fuckin owns

EDIT:

Ogmius815 posted:

Somewhere in this thread there was a post that discussed recommended things to do right away. My one remember where that is? I need to bookmark it.

I feel like the game is pushing me to go to the Rito area first.

CJ posted:

Posted yesterday but here's the main stuff you want to unlock sooner rather than later.

After finishing the tutorial do the drat quest at the starter town and get your paraglider.

At some point early on do the follow up quests to unlock the full functionality of your iPad.

Great Fairy is unlocked at Woodland Stable to the north east of the starting town.

The path to Rito village from starting town has the Korok guy (he moves to starting town), the newspaper questline, and Impa's questline (near Serenne stable) which you're really going to want to unlock sooner rather than later.

A couple other things unlock at the starting town later on so come back after major story beats to check up on it.

You always want to fuse your weapon, unfused weapons do no damage and break a lot faster. Drop some monster parts and fuse it.

You can throw items by holding R then selecting it using the dpad, don't waste all your arrows when throwing will do.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 13, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

With BotW, I did the Elephant dungeon and the Bird dungeon and then I got really bored.
I'm pretty sure you gave it more of a chance than most who would have bounced off it. Bummer it didnt work out for you but it's a big sea of games out there.

I'm heading to Kakariko after jumping off the island. Good idea or no?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the tips! One question, last page it was mentioned fusing weapons doesn't raise their durability, only the hilt part determines the durability. This page the tips list said fusing them makes them break less soon. Do we know for sure how that durability part works?

I had seen mention that re-fusing a weapon can let it live forever, but I've found when they're damaged they stay damaged, even if re-fusing it with a new rock etc.

But that aside, does a wooden stick sword fused with a rock last longer than just a wooden stick sword?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2023

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Been hearing a lot of good things about this President Hudson

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks for the tips! One question, last page it was mentioned fusing weapons doesn't raise their durability, only the hilt part determines the durability. This page the tips list said fusing them makes them break less soon. Do we know for sure how that durability part works?

I had seen mention that re-fusing a weapon can let it live forever, but I've found when they're damaged they stay damaged, even if re-fusing it with a new rock etc.

But that aside, does a wooden stick sword fused with a rock last longer than just a wooden stick sword?

I read that fusing gives every weapon +25 hit durability. I don't know if that is true or how that ends up factoring in to the actual durability equation.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jfc what the gently caress are these hand enemies I just got loving jumpscared by

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Augus posted:

jfc what the gently caress are these hand enemies I just got loving jumpscared by

I just beat one and something even worse happened.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
is there ANY spot in the depths where you can ascend all the way out? i thought the lightroots might be it, but they twist too much for it to work.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Blaziken386 posted:

is there ANY spot in the depths where you can ascend all the way out? i thought the lightroots might be it, but they twist too much for it to work.

Find a lit up stone pillar.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

There's upside down towers that you can, but they're pretty rare. You can also Ascend through the ceiling if you get creative enough to get up there

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I thought BotW was a 7/10 game and so far, this is shaping up to be… a 7/10 game. I really don’t like the trajectory the series is on. So much time in these open-world Zelda games is spent slooooowly getting from point A to point B, flipping through sun-menus and doing a big chunk of it all over again you got one-shot exploded by something you had no way of anticipating.

And a lot of the shrine puzzles loving suck because they often feel like they operate by rules you’re not privy to. I’ve had to look up solutions to a couple of them already and I don’t go “oh, of course!” when I see how it’s done. More like “how the hell was I supposed to know that unless I was sitting in the room with the developers when they came up with that?” It’s obnoxious.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Almost Smart posted:

And a lot of the shrine puzzles loving suck because they often feel like they operate by rules you’re not privy to. I’ve had to look up solutions to a couple of them already and I don’t go “oh, of course!” when I see how it’s done. More like “how the hell was I supposed to know that unless I was sitting in the room with the developers when they came up with that?” It’s obnoxious.

the puzzles are insanely good

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lmao. Triggered my first blood moon by... going to sleep at a stable.

So I went to bed, got the spooky cutscene for the first blood moon, then woke up to have a conversation about Pony Points while ominous red energy was still wisping around outside.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
gently caress I jumped off the first island without beating the mini boss block guy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I'm pretty sure you gave it more of a chance than most who would have bounced off it. Bummer it didnt work out for you but it's a big sea of games out there.

I'm heading to Kakariko after jumping off the island. Good idea or no?

Yes, anything that interests you is a good starting point

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

gently caress I jumped off the first island without beating the mini boss block guy

Get uppy

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1657136108579307521

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
me: "you know its super neat and helpful that there are poes below each of the entrances to the depths, that really helps with determining when to open the glider up"

me, five minutes later: "...oh, wait."

the poes at the bottom are everyone who fell in

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

ChocNitty posted:

I think it was clever for Nintendo to give Link longer hair and an earring considering that the franchise has a pretty balanced male to female ratio.

Femboy Link will be canon if I can find the gerudo outfit in this one

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Been hearing a lot of good things about this President Hudson
Try letting go!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of Hudson I just finished his quest in Tarrytown and holy poo poo this new house building thing is amazing and awesome and suuuuper expensive. You can build house with tons of rooms that you can move around and you have your own plot of land. This in itself is blowing my mind.

I harvested, sold, and saved up a ton of rupees for suit upgrades and just blew it all on house parts. And I do not regret it. This is so much fun. I'm about to have a huge house.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 13, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Game gives me Armor Shard, I give me sword with armor shard stuck on it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I found my way back up to the sky, been spending the last two hours just Mcguyvering my way across different sky islands, only seeing an occasional enemy while the sun is giving me golden hour

This is very calming

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

Yes, anything that interests you is a good starting point

I picked up my old horse from the stable and went there and am glad I did, although I would like to get the paraglider before taking on them towers. I'll poke around a bit before moving on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rageaholic posted:

So I'm trying to do this camera quest for Robbie in the chasm and I got lost a few times. Every time I get into a fight down here I die. Is this quest essential to do right away? I feel like I should visit more shrines and get more heart containers before attempting chasm stuff, but maybe not.

I was able to get through right away (although this seems much more difficult that BOTW so far). You need to throw your light seeds or whatever to show your path, and make your way towards the big glowing seeds. There you'll light the whole area up, making it easier. For the enemies, I was attacked by a bunch of gloom infested moblins and stuff, and they were kicking my rear end, so I started to run, when I realized they lost track of me, and I was able to run all the way to the second glowing root structure where goggles was waiting for me. You can take the photo, then gently caress right out of there.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i decided to return to the great plateau immediately after getting the glider, for nostalgia's sake

between the rewards and the horrors, this is basically my early trip to caelid all over again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Highrule

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

fusing weapons

My playthrough so far has shown that a solid undamaged hilt always makes its fused product swing for noticeably longer, not the apple attached on the end. I mean it's a given that the game wants you to explore its limitless combinations of hilts and blades, so just the act of fusing anything to anything might give it some default bonus to durability, but again it's mostly dependent on the hilt. This hilt-centric gear progression canonically fits the mass-decay of existing weapons plot segment and underlines the open world looter-shooter aspect of this Zelda. Since you always keep the hilts when disassembling fused weapons, it incentivizes diving into more dangerous enemy camps to break apart their looted gear to recombine into your personal arsenal.

Same with shield stats as their ratings don't seem to signify the amount blocked or the durability, but rather the bash damage. Since the shield blocking action soaks up the entirety of a hit, there's really no performative difference between a pig iron and a bone leather shield. But the iron shield will last longer taking hits even if a rock is glued to the front of the leather shield. Again there might be some hidden durability bonus of simply attaching things to the front of shields but it's mostly dependent on its type and rarity, though I am curious to see the actual numbers between attaching a rock and an Armor Shard.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

This game is hard as poo poo

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

PTSDeedly Do posted:

This game is hard as poo poo

Yea, kinda shocked at the difficulty here. Keep getting trounced in one direction, thinking that it must be warning me away from going there, and getting beat up in another direction.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
BOTW was hard as gently caress when I first played it

I think my TOTK experience is going well just because I got used to the BOTW way

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat this game is so good. my shoddy boat spins in circles but still makes it across and my platform gets lit on fire by me forgetting I had the fire sword but it also still makes it across

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
First area spoilers:

https://www.tiktok.com/@guhreentitv/video/7232422312694402350

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My defense stat through most of the tutorial was 1 and then 2 for a little while.

My defense stat is now 9 so I feel like I can actually survive a few hits now.

Raising the money was not too bad. TIP: You can sell food you cooked for surprisingly good prices. I had a two meat, three veg recipe and sold it for 49rupees. Sold a couple more things and was just able to afford the first purchaseable armor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's one Korok I thought was set up just to be bowling downhill. Cool! I use sticky hand to drop him down the hill and watch him roll and roll and get like halfway there... And then roll off into the abyss. Oops! Sorry pal

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

My playthrough so far has shown that a solid undamaged hilt always makes its fused product swing for noticeably longer, not the apple attached on the end. I mean it's a given that the game wants you to explore its limitless combinations of hilts and blades, so just the act of fusing anything to anything might give it some default bonus to durability, but again it's mostly dependent on the hilt. This hilt-centric gear progression canonically fits the mass-decay of existing weapons plot segment and underlines the open world looter-shooter aspect of this Zelda. Since you always keep the hilts when disassembling fused weapons, it incentivizes diving into more dangerous enemy camps to break apart their looted gear to recombine into your personal arsenal.

Same with shield stats as their ratings don't seem to signify the amount blocked or the durability, but rather the bash damage. Since the shield blocking action soaks up the entirety of a hit, there's really no performative difference between a pig iron and a bone leather shield. But the iron shield will last longer taking hits even if a rock is glued to the front of the leather shield. Again there might be some hidden durability bonus of simply attaching things to the front of shields but it's mostly dependent on its type and rarity, though I am curious to see the actual numbers between attaching a rock and an Armor Shard.

Thanks for the info! On the breaking apart enemy looted gear to recombine into your arsenal you mention. My thing is, it would seem keeping it as is would be most efficient, since I won't be destroying a part. But later on when I'm more into which parts I like more than others, and have an abundance of stuff, I'll probably wanna mess around more like that.

On the hilt/base weapon thing, since there's no way to restore its durability, for me it feels like a waste to remove and add a second item to fuse with one hilt. Might as well save that item for a fresh hilt etc. But I'm only 3 hrs in.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Shields seem super durable. I made it through two dungeons before my first good shield broke. Got it near start if game, glued a Talos heart to it and it lasted for ages. Now I mostly use my shield selection as Zonai toolbelt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw a big pond of goop appear out of the ground

Won't go into it further, but it didn't end well for me.