Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

giZm posted:

Got it, thanks. The area really opened up now, lots of new stuff to find, I'm enjoying this DLC so far.

But what's with the fake white phantom with the greatlance? Troll character?

Yeah that’s Maldron. He shows up with a different bit of trickery in Brume Tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I always test lock on when I see something (and even when I don't) so I knew something was up right away and got a free backstab

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Just another sign of DS2's greatness, it has NPC invaders that troll you and makes you do stupid stuff instead of just trying to stab you to death.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Well he can stay in the Lower Garrison and freeze to death for all I care, the Burnt Ivory King has been vanquished. Decided to skip Frigid Outskirts because there is nothing of value there.

To do: Sinh, Darkstalker, Ancient Dragon, Vendrick, final bosses.

e: running dangerously low on Effigies though, like single digits low. What's y'alls favorite farming spot for those?

giZm fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 12, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The skeletons in Majula mansion drop effigies, but they respawn only with bonfire ascetics. The more ascetics you burn, the more effigy dropping skeletons appear, to a certain limit.

If you bear all the DLC main bosses (Sinh, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight) and then beat and visit Vendrick, you get an item that turns you permanently human.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

The skeletons in Majula mansion drop effigies, but they respawn only with bonfire ascetics. The more ascetics you burn, the more effigy dropping skeletons appear, to a certain limit.

If you bear all the DLC main bosses (Sinh, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight) and then beat and visit Vendrick, you get an item that turns you permanently human.
Won't the Majula skellies get NG+ stats then? Feels like fighting a gaggle of NG+7 skeletons is going to sting.

The Blessing will be nice, but I'm afraid to get it I'm going to need double digit Effigies :v:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just hit the skellies with something blunt. NG+ stats isn’t a problem since you can just run away back into the mansion to heal if you need.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

"Don't worry about it"

"Just heal in the mansion"

Thanks though, they do drop them delicious Effigies :skeltal:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

giZm posted:

"Don't worry about it"

lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

giZm posted:

"Don't worry about it"

lmao

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

lol sorry bout that!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You don't necessarily need to farm effigies (outside of paying the fee to enter the Abyss) because there's a failsafe way to always get your humanity restored for free. But it is also inconvenient.

Then again, Scholar also put it behind a petrified dude, so I guess that technically makes it missable now, oops.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just re-played SOTFS a few weeks ago and it's so wild that this thread is still active. I also replayed DS3 and Bloodborne and it's kind of fun coming across old posts I made way back at launch in those threads too. And in all of the games, I've been able to reliably co-op or summon people.

DS2 felt surprisingly good to play. In my mind it was slow and clunky, but it didn't take long to get the feel for it again. Really had a blast and absolutely shithoused some bosses that I had trouble with before. Sir Alonne and Fume Knight were one-shots. Parrying the Pursuer every time he showed up. Still getting destroyed by every single hippo thing.

It's crazy how well all of them hold up. Bloodborne was absolute gold still. DS3 is refined and way closer to Elden Ring mechanically than I remembered.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS3 borders on being a prototype for Elden Ring in some ways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DS2 is weird in that it's one of the very few games I've played where my opinion of it did a complete 180' after a couple playthroughs. I think time has been generous to it, because the memory of DS1 fading into the fog means that there's less comparisons to be made to it when playing DS2, and the latter can thus be enjoyed more as its own game with its own vibe instead of as a sequel to what was a cult hit back in the day. It's one of those games that's got a solid enough foundation and a good enough aesthetic presentation that it's effectively timeless, and I can see people coming back to enjoy it a decade down the line whenever it's on a deep Steam discount.

John Murdoch posted:

DS3 borders on being a prototype for Elden Ring in some ways.

I can't say I really see it. The change from fixed casts to MP was a reversion to Demon's Souls, and the only other significant mechanical change from previous versions was the inclusion of Weapon Arts. DS3 always felt more like something being put out the door to get the funding needed for future projects, of which Elden Ring was likely at least on the table for.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 12, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It probably also helps that From kept iterating and experimenting all the way up to Elden Ring. DS2 being some terrible departure from DS1 in increasingly forgotten ways is a drop in the bucket compared to how different BB, Sekiro (which can be argued isn't even a Souls game, it's that different), or ER are to DS1.

Vermain posted:

I can't say I really see it. The change from fixed casts to MP was a reversion to Demon's Souls, and the only other significant mechanical change from previous versions was the inclusion of Weapon Arts. DS3 always felt more like something being put out the door to get the funding needed for future projects, of which Elden Ring was likely at least on the table for.

It tracks a bit more if you're familiar with the cut content that shows DS3 was going to have explicit stealth mechanics (which also explains why so much of the game is, in fact, designed like a stealth game). Though I guess it can be argued that branched off into Sekiro. Either way we ended up with it being a part of Elden Ring. Weapon Arts are also the kind of thing I'm talking about because that system gets massively expanded in ER and while previous games had similar ideas, they weren't codified in the way DS3 did it.

Admittedly it's hard to conclusively say though because Elden Ring isn't all that subtle about integrating bits and pieces from every other previous Souls game so how much does 3 count as a psuedo-prototype vs. From just likes to iterate on their previous work. So you end up with stuff like the Yhorm fight already being a throwback to DeS, but then Elden Ring does its own wind weapon gimmick fight too. Is that drawing from DS3 or is it drawing from DeS or is it both? :iiam:

Though tbh early trailers for Elden Ring also made me feel like even the story was a second draft of DS3. It didn't quite shake out that way in the end, I guess...but there's also only two From games with isolated endgame dragon temple levels...

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 12, 2023

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DS3 really did feel like proto-ER to me too. The weapon arts, mana and dual flasks, weapons that split into two when two-handing, and "humanity" working as a buff instead of a penalty for dying all reminded me of ER. The blacksmith and expanding-inventory main vendor as well. Guard breaks work almost exactly the same as well. I'll say I was more often noticing things that were identical (maybe less flexible or less exposed) than I was sad that something was missing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SLOSifl posted:

I just re-played SOTFS a few weeks ago and it's so wild that this thread is still active. I also replayed DS3 and Bloodborne and it's kind of fun coming across old posts I made way back at launch in those threads too. And in all of the games, I've been able to reliably co-op or summon people.

It helps that this game has extremely high replay value, even compared to the other games in the series.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

That made me look at my trophy list - yeah I'm not even close. I have 23 out of 38 trophies, easily my worst performance. Gestures, sorceries, miracles, pyromancies, hexes, covenant rank, maybe 10 hidden trophies.

Welp, time for another run.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

giZm posted:

"Don't worry about it"

Just perfect :lmao:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Literally me.

Sinh down, and it cemented my hatred for Darksouls dragons. Every fight is just a constant "here I am, teehee, catch me, now I'm over here, whoops too slow I'm on the other end of the arena again, teehee". So annoying.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

giZm posted:

So tsundere.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

giZm posted:

Literally me.

Sinh down, and it cemented my hatred for Darksouls dragons. Every fight is just a constant "here I am, teehee, catch me, now I'm over here, whoops too slow I'm on the other end of the arena again, teehee". So annoying.
Sinh might be the best dragon fight too, and I’m not disagreeing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is Sinh the only dragon in all the Souls that can be bow'd to death that isn't glued to a wall?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Demon's Souls has a dragon that can be arrowed down.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
There's also Kalameet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VchfJokFio

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I like the Sinh fight, the only dragon fight where the dragon is the enemy rather than the camera.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Uh I think you'll find that something something ~*interconnected world*~

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Many such cases!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Uh I think you'll find that something something ~*interconnected world*~

ELEVATOR!!!! B-TEEEEAAAAMM!!!! :freep:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The elevator was one of my favorite bits in the game, it's eerie as hell and gives the impression the curse affects the geography of the lands themselves.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

What elevator?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The one connecting Earthen Peak with Iron Keep.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The top of Earthen Peak (mountain fortress covered in windmills) has an elevator that goes up even further. It takes you to the Old Iron Keep, a fortress sinking into a sea of lava.

This makes absolutely no sense physically and depending on your perspective it's either the game's dreamlike setting eroding the logic of the world or evidence that DS2 was a hack job assembled by b team frauds.

Personally I kind of like it as an example of DS2 evoking things from DS1 (in this case the ascent from Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo) in a way that's distorted and wrong.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me it's as blunt simple as "game had development problems". I don't mind the post-hoc justifications necessarily, but I don't feel like I really need one either.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Party Boat posted:

This makes absolutely no sense physically
Boss room is physically in the volcano behind poison mill, and Iron Keep is at the top of the volcano in the caldera. There, makes sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

For me it's as blunt simple as "game had development problems". I don't mind the post-hoc justifications necessarily, but I don't feel like I really need one either.

yeah; it's completely trivial and pointless to dwell on unless you're a youtube weirdo with an axe to grind, as evidenced by the fact that the team had ample opportunity to stick a matte painting of a giant mountain behind earthen peak for SotFS and chose not to, because it's a funny wart that makes the game more memorable than if it actually was just a very long elevator up the side of a mountain

Orv
May 4, 2011
MANY MAN AT ONCE, BIG ARMOR MAN, BAD GAME etc etc

Meanwhile the righteous accept that 2 is the best game and Elden Ring is just 2 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

giZm posted:

Boss room is physically in the volcano behind poison mill, and Iron Keep is at the top of the volcano in the caldera. There, makes sense.

It would be nice if that were visible from just outside the mill though