Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

atomicgeek posted:

Another possibility is one of several mods that add bunkers and interiors to existing settlements or combat areas. Basement Living, Commonwealth Express Courier Stations, any of Elianora's house mods, Aloot's Home Plate, any of RedRocketTV's Better Homes & Bunkers mods. I mean there's tons of stuff out there, but those are player houses I've tried and liked.

I took a look at Elianora's, and I decided to go with a couple of those: one for the Prydwen (which I actually downloaded before), and one for Sanctuary, that also makes some tweaks to the settlement.

Flowing Thot posted:

You sort things on both panels of MO2. Left side is basically how loose files are overwritten and just keep things organized. Something below another mod if they have files conflicting the lower mod wins. I typically group mods by type and use MO2’s function to create categories to put them in. So like essential / bug fix type mods I put at the top stuff like the unofficial patch, buffout, things of that nature. The work my way down with like a category for UI, a category for gameplay etc… Most mod’s don’t really effect things outside their category, but some do and I just handle these on a case by case basis with a special catch all section towards the end. The right panel is the load order that the game uses and you are probably used to this. Where you organize all your ESM ESP etc…

I just used the separators, and I thought that sorting entries on the left pane would sort the plugins accordingly, but I realized that the plugins have to be sorted separately.

Here's a question: is there an easy way to tweak leveled lists? I was looking at Colt-Mothman 6520 and N-80 Pistols Pack, and one of the latest comments states that it drops too frequently. I saw a comment that links to a video about replacing weapons via FO4Edit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrN153F0b8g)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Horizon 1.9: which settlement(s) is everyone using for their main base? I normally use Hangman's for the central location and started building it up when I saw it got some extra space, but then I bought Home Plate to check out the changes mentioned in the update notes and discovered the basement is monstrously huge. Possibly too huge, as any time I want to do something in there it'll involve a whole bunch of running to and from the front door.

I also want to build robots but need a lot more advanced circuitry, any suggestions for where to pick up good amounts of those early on?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Usually Hangman's and Grey Garden are natural stops on your way downtown, plus the drive-in. I should probably mix it up and do things differently next.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
help me, I am addicted to building settlements.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I'm afraid its terminal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

I'm afraid its terminal.

hmm, yes, I should build up Boston Airport, you're right.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I decided to do more or less a test run of my modded game, and while my intent was to use BrandyBoy's Hardcore Health Overhaul, I think I'm going to remove it and maybe other mods related to it (Caliber Complex and True Damage). It's nice being able to drop raiders with single headshot, but I've really had to fall back on stealth because they can drop you with only one or two shots as well. I still think it's a pretty cool mod setup, and I think I may just be that I hosed up the mod installation, but I find it way too punishing.

I think I might look into trying Horizon. I have to parse through the mods I have installed first to see what's compatible, and it sounds like I might have to do a clean install of Fallout 4, which means I might have to start over from scratch (since I don't know if the patches or INI tweaks from The Midnight Ride clash with Horizon).

-

Question: one of the mods I have installed is Rad-Ban Eyewear, but MO2 flags an error with it because it depends on AWKCR. I'm using ECO, so I'm wondering if I need to install FO4 Edit in order to fix that, or if there's a patch or something.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Question: one of the mods I have installed is Rad-Ban Eyewear, but MO2 flags an error with it because it depends on AWKCR. I'm using ECO, so I'm wondering if I need to install FO4 Edit in order to fix that, or if there's a patch or something.

I *think* there is a patch in here that removes the requirement: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/40752

I have no experience with it, however, so ymmv

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Even with AWKCR that rayban mod didn't work for me/ would crash my game fwiw

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I got fed up and just uninstalled/deleted everything, save for my old save games. I thought maybe I could salvage it, but

I keep thinking maybe I should just go with Wabbajack or the Nexus Collections for a pre-fab modlist for a more convenient setup, but from what I remember reading over in the Skyrim Modding thread, you more-or-less need a Nexus Premium Account to do so. I dunno if it's absolutely required for Nexus Collections (it looks like you're locked into using Vortex, which I've not tried), but because of the number of mods you're downloading, you need the premium speeds in order to download everything in a timely manner.

Alternatively, I thought to ask for someone's modlist that I could reference for an idea of how to order plugins. There's Modwatch (https://modwat.ch/), but it sounds like that's primarily for diagnosing mod issues, and there's no links for the mods listed.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I could just search 'Fallout 4 modlist' on Google and maybe find some results :downs: One of the first I got was from the Nexus called MOFAM (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48580). It sounds interesting, but it's got like 50 parts.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 16, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I got fed up and just uninstalled/deleted everything, save for my old save games. I thought maybe I could salvage it, but

I keep thinking maybe I should just go with Wabbajack or the Nexus Collections for a pre-fab modlist for a more convenient setup, but from what I remember reading over in the Skyrim Modding thread, you more-or-less need a Nexus Premium Account to do so. I dunno if it's absolutely required for Nexus Collections (it looks like you're locked into using Vortex, which I've not tried), but because of the number of mods you're downloading, you need the premium speeds in order to download everything in a timely manner.

Alternatively, I thought to ask for someone's modlist that I could reference for an idea of how to order plugins. There's Modwatch (https://modwat.ch/), but it sounds like that's primarily for diagnosing mod issues, and there's no links for the mods listed.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I could just search 'Fallout 4 modlist' on Google and maybe find some results :downs: One of the first I got was from the Nexus called MOFAM (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48580). It sounds interesting, but it's got like 50 parts.
It's not the speed, you can just wait longer, it's needing to (in wabbjack, at least) individually authorize each download by manually clicking that's the problem.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

One month of premium isn’t that much to pay to avoid the hassle at least.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

This looks very bloated with its 700+ mods, including the entire thuggyverse, (raider) children that you can kill, and probably other goodness :greenangel:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Oh god the thuggyverse is awful.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

MOFAM is trash for a wide variety of reasons and you have to do it all manually because the dude still refuses to get on board with Wabbajack. Play Magnum Opus or something similar instead. Also Thuggy is a racist piece of poo poo that makes bad mods and should be avoided.

I have enough DP kicking around to get a couple people premium for a month if it's needed. It's just collecting dust in my inventory otherwise.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I started with Storywealth as it's been two years since I played Fallout 4, culled the ones I wasn't interested in, added some radio mods and made Boston Airport, Homeplate, and the Mechanist Lair "full" settlements that you could send supply lines to.

But I tend to view modding the game as at least quarter of the fun of playing a Bethesda game on PC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zereth posted:

It's not the speed, you can just wait longer, it's needing to (in wabbjack, at least) individually authorize each download by manually clicking that's the problem.

Relyssa posted:

Play Magnum Opus or something similar instead.

I looked up Magnum Opus, and it sounds like a pretty solid mod list.

If I have to authorize each download through Wabbajack, do I need to do it all in one session, or can I close Wabbajack and come back to it later? (I've never used Wabbajack before) If I wanted to add mods, would I need to use MO2?

Twincityhacker posted:

I started with Storywealth as it's been two years since I played Fallout 4, culled the ones I wasn't interested in, added some radio mods and made Boston Airport, Homeplate, and the Mechanist Lair "full" settlements that you could send supply lines to.

But I tend to view modding the game as at least quarter of the fun of playing a Bethesda game on PC.

I also considered Storywealth, though it said in the description that if you added/disabled mods, it could potentially mess up thing us guess that goes for any mod lists, though. Then again, it sounds like you have to do it through Vortex, which I've heard makes mod sorting much more difficult.

I'd take another shot at modding it myself, because I do prefer having a handcrafted modlist, but I've got other things going on right now, so I'd rather have something that's already largely set up for right now.

-

With either of the modlists, do you need a powerful system? The Storywealth author says their systems is a i7-10700 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super. I've got a i7-4790K and a GeForce 1070, so I dunno if my system is up to par, or if you can tweak things down for a weaker system.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Wabbajack mod lists just install a stand alone copy of MO2. You can add stuff to them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had a 3950x and 2080 super and Magnum Opus chugged

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

If I have to authorize each download through Wabbajack, do I need to do it all in one session, or can I close Wabbajack and come back to it later? (I've never used Wabbajack before) If I wanted to add mods, would I need to use MO2?

I also considered Storywealth, though it said in the description that if you added/disabled mods, it could potentially mess up thing us guess that goes for any mod lists, though. Then again, it sounds like you have to do it through Vortex, which I've heard makes mod sorting much more difficult.

I'd take another shot at modding it myself, because I do prefer having a handcrafted modlist, but I've got other things going on right now, so I'd rather have something that's already largely set up for right now.

-

With either of the modlists, do you need a powerful system? The Storywealth author says their systems is a i7-10700 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super. I've got a i7-4790K and a GeForce 1070, so I dunno if my system is up to par, or if you can tweak things down for a weaker system.

I downloaded the mods individually via the free option. They will sometimes download multiple mods at a time, but going down the mod collection going to the indivudal mod and clicking download doesn't take much longer AND you can cull the apperance mods.

As far as you messing up by not downloading all the mods as you a) put alternate start at the very bottom b) don't use the bash patches in Storywealth and c) don't swap around major changes to exterior cells in the middle of the game unless you know exactly what you are doing you'll probably be fine.

I have mods that add multple guns to the game and clothing, and they all show up on a raiders.

I run LOOT everytime I add a new mod - removing mods in the middle of the game minus stuff like pure texture changes is also dicey but sometimes I live dangerously like swapping out a mod that modifies Dogmeats behavior for a mod that modifies *all* compaion behavior - just to be sure I didn't miss an important load order change like making sure alternate start is *always* at the bottom of the load order.

I also run the game on my laptop, which is mildly powerful. The most it chugged was for Sim Settlements 2, and that was mostly for ~15 raider attacks where a most of the guns where energy weapons.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

I run LOOT everytime I add a new mod - removing mods in the middle of the game minus stuff like pure texture changes is also dicey but sometimes I live dangerously like swapping out a mod that modifies Dogmeats behavior for a mod that modifies *all* compaion behavior - just to be sure I didn't miss an important load order change like making sure alternate start is *always* at the bottom of the load order.

It can be useful to Lock the specific mod or mods in place in MO2, which at least means you don't have to scroll the modlist to find them again, they'll be at the end. Also most of the time you don't need to sort with Loot if you just add items or armors etc, things that don't alter the worldspace.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

You can close Wabbajack and it will always pick up where it left off. You would need to use MO2.

If you send me a link to your Nexus profile (PM is fine) I can send you enough donation points for a month of free premium to save you from having to click each download.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Can someone explain how Wilson's auto-loot function in Horizon is supposed to work, because I can't seem to get him to do anything and neither the in-game documentation nor the wiki explains a goddamn thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wilson will pull "junk" items from the nearby area automagically iirc. So, stuff you'd break down for crafting supplies.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chronojam posted:

Wilson will pull "junk" items from the nearby area automagically iirc. So, stuff you'd break down for crafting supplies.

Sure, except he doesn't grab anything and then I later get a message saying he's leaving with zero items. Tried with automatic, also with manual except I can't find any documentation explaining what the keys are for manual activation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isndl posted:

Sure, except he doesn't grab anything and then I later get a message saying he's leaving with zero items. Tried with automatic, also with manual except I can't find any documentation explaining what the keys are for manual activation.

wouldn't manual be the same keys as you use for commanding your companion normally? like hold e or whatever.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Arivia posted:

wouldn't manual be the same keys as you use for commanding your companion normally? like hold e or whatever.

Figured it out: in manual mode Horizon replaces the interact action on junk items, so attempting to pick up something triggers Wilson's loot routine instead. You don't need to summon Wilson or try to interact with him.

Still don't know how to get automatic looting working so I can passively vacuum up junk as I walk by it, but good enough I guess.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

I downloaded the mods individually via the free option. They will sometimes download multiple mods at a time, but going down the mod collection going to the indivudal mod and clicking download doesn't take much longer AND you can cull the apperance mods.

As far as you messing up by not downloading all the mods as you a) put alternate start at the very bottom b) don't use the bash patches in Storywealth and c) don't swap around major changes to exterior cells in the middle of the game unless you know exactly what you are doing you'll probably be fine.

I have mods that add multple guns to the game and clothing, and they all show up on a raiders.

I also run the game on my laptop, which is mildly powerful. The most it chugged was for Sim Settlements 2, and that was mostly for ~15 raider attacks where a most of the guns where energy weapons.

heard u like girls posted:

It can be useful to Lock the specific mod or mods in place in MO2, which at least means you don't have to scroll the modlist to find them again, they'll be at the end. Also most of the time you don't need to sort with Loot if you just add items or armors etc, things that don't alter the worldspace.

How accurate is LOOT? The Midnight Ride guide (I'm sorry, I know I keep referring to TMR) said to avoid it because it's automated, and so the auto-sorting could cause mods to break or get overwritten.

Relyssa posted:

You can close Wabbajack and it will always pick up where it left off. You would need to use MO2.

If you send me a link to your Nexus profile (PM is fine) I can send you enough donation points for a month of free premium to save you from having to click each download.

I downloaded Wabbajack just now, but it looks like there's an issue with it right now, because it can't load the modlist gallery.

I'll try doing manually first. If I find I don't have the patience for it, I'll PM a link to my profile to you. I'd accept it now, but I've got some other things going on right now, and so I'm worried I might forget about it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Keep in mind with Loot you can add rules to manually sort things in a certain way for mods that need it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I did use custom rules in LOOT to fix the deep clean series of mods.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

How accurate is LOOT? The Midnight Ride guide (I'm sorry, I know I keep referring to TMR) said to avoid it because it's automated, and so the auto-sorting could cause mods to break or get overwritten.

Pretty decent but mod descriptions mentioning a specific place in the load order should be adhered to.
Apart from that Loot is useful to see if anything needs cleaning or is missing dependencies etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

LOOT is dependent entirely on the community list which is not updated as frequently as it should be. It's a very useful tool if you add custom rules to it to sort things but it's never going to be a substitute for diving into xEdit and seeing what the conflicts are and what should go where. Do your best to not blindly trust it because it can and will make mistakes and put things in the wrong spots.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Meh, moving things around in the load order will probably not mess up your active save, it's deleting [impactful] mods from your save that starts cascading into bigger problems because of orphaned scripts and whatnot.

Imo for starters sort with Loot, then work from a vanilla savegame that is at the end of vault 111, so you can load in all the mods and still change your character and name. Sometimes you need to save afterwards and load it again to trigger a next batch of mods to register, depending on how much poo poo you installed.
Go out in the world and play a bit, if all seems fine, congrats...

Otherwise, check for problems with gameplay mods that seriously alter the game in some fashion (engine tweaks/fixes; scrap everything/boston FPS fix/real life scopes etc, combat overhauls), mods that alter areas or overlap with other content (check the modpages for compatibility and patches).

A lot of it is already documented and you just need to take out some time to read descriptions and comments. Save very often ( Survival Options Holotape has save-items that you can bind to your quick item select thingy ) BUT keep an eye on your save folder and delete old saves occasionally so it doesn't bloat into a 20+ GB folder.

Enjoy

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 19, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wabbajack modlists are back up, so I've started downloading Magnum Opus.

There's 771 mods, and manually, I've downloaded about 30 so far, all of which are only like 1KB. :pwn:

Once I've got them all downloaded, would I just create a new instance in MO2 and pick the folder where I installed everything?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Wabbajack modlists are back up, so I've started downloading Magnum Opus.

There's 771 mods, and manually, I've downloaded about 30 so far, all of which are only like 1KB. :pwn:

Once I've got them all downloaded, would I just create a new instance in MO2 and pick the folder where I installed everything?

You don't even have to do that. It'll set up it's own portable instance of MO to use.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

dolphinbomb posted:

You don't even have to do that. It'll set up it's own portable instance of MO to use.

Oh, cool.

When everything is done downloading, does it just auto-install all the mods? I know that some mods have the FOMOD where you select specific options, so I'm guessing if it auto-installs, you have to reinstall the mods you want to tweak.

Also, does it just install everything in a set order, or would I use LOOT once everything's installed?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 20, 2023

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just install and go. Wabbajack works by effectively copy/pasting someone else's mod setup/configuration to your computer. Make sure you read the readme that's included with the list, it'll answer a lot of questions you might have. You can also jump in the list creator's discord, where there are a lot of people experienced with modding and installing wabbajack lists and can help you if you run into issues. The creator and staff for Magnum Opus in particular are pretty helpful. They'll even help if you want to add or change mods that are included, but you'll have to be willing to do some legwork and learn how to get things to play nicely, not just jump in and go "hi can someone tell me how to add [mod]?" and get mad when no one is willing to walk you through something step by step.

Absolutely do not run LOOT afterwards. There are a ton of small patches and tweaks in Magnum Opus to make everything run smoothly and as stable as possible, and LOOT will completely gently caress that up.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Relyssa posted:

LOOT is dependent entirely on the community list which is not updated as frequently as it should be. It's a very useful tool if you add custom rules to it to sort things but it's never going to be a substitute for diving into xEdit and seeing what the conflicts are and what should go where. Do your best to not blindly trust it because it can and will make mistakes and put things in the wrong spots.

haven't been active in the mod community for a few years, but running loot was not seen as particularly helpful anymore beyond a first pass after a fresh install with new mod list, and in my experience, running it after that tended to just introduce a bunch of unnecessary conflicts and nonsense overwrites. either use xedit or a curated modlist.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, cool.

When everything is done downloading, does it just auto-install all the mods? I know that some mods have the FOMOD where you select specific options, so I'm guessing if it auto-installs, you have to reinstall the mods you want to tweak.

Also, does it just install everything in a set order, or would I use LOOT once everything's installed?

Every wabbajack list, including opus, has a readme page that will open automatically in your browser. Look to there for post install steps. Absolutely do not run LOOT, as the list author has already sorted the mods for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Is this offer still open? I could do with some shooting things and stealing everything not nailed down right now.