Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

I still don't care about Nate or know why we're supposed to care about him. He flips between nice romantic boyfriend and weird psycho manager (and not in the fun way Kent did).

I think the deal there is that it's supposed to be jarring. The weird psycho manager bit is him putting on an act and he's uncomfortable with it but it's what he thinks this new father figure wants. Him backing out of the night out and going to Jade's signifies that he's not willing to embrace that part of himself because he finally sees what a shithead Rupert is. He didn't win over Jade by being a trash-talking alpha chad who spits on mirrors, and he recognizes that he should be the person she likes and not the person Rupert wants.

At least that's my read. It makes sense for him to get disillusioned with the bad guy before he can have a redemption. I still don't really appreciate just about any of the romantic relationships in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I loved the message of this episode but it was so over the top and saccharine it took me out of things… but I guess that’s just Ted Lasso. Still enjoying spending time with the characters even if the writing is a bit questionable at times.

I think knowing that this is the last season helps because then I’m not metagaming and dwelling on the stuff I don’t like. It’s just uplifting schlock!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think the thing which pisses me off most is the irrefutably derogatory "that's a bit gay, bruv" comment earlier in the season just not being acknowledged at all. make colin bring it up!! force isaac to reflect on his own behaviour!!!!

the 1% chance people wouldn't be cool with it was not colin getting stuck in his own head about it! it was a direct response to the environment around him! gently caress you! gently caress off!

stupid tv show!!! stupid!!!!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SpiderLink posted:

I think the deal there is that it's supposed to be jarring. The weird psycho manager bit is him putting on an act and he's uncomfortable with it but it's what he thinks this new father figure wants. Him backing out of the night out and going to Jade's signifies that he's not willing to embrace that part of himself because he finally sees what a shithead Rupert is. He didn't win over Jade by being a trash-talking alpha chad who spits on mirrors, and he recognizes that he should be the person she likes and not the person Rupert wants.

At least that's my read. It makes sense for him to get disillusioned with the bad guy before he can have a redemption. I still don't really appreciate just about any of the romantic relationships in this series.

Yeah it's pretty clear he is now certain on who he wants to be and it isn't the person Rupert wants.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

With part of Nate’s success coming from tricky set pieces or play designs, I want to see a media brouhaha kicked off by Ted saying he’d be a hell of an American football coach. People take this as an insult, Nate gets all worked up and tries to win the rematch with base play, Richmond blows them out, Rupert blows up and causes a scene.

Steiv
Oct 16, 2005

Sweet Jesus it's the fabled Mardi Gras Cat-bird!

SpiderLink posted:

…being a trash-talking alpha chad who spits on mirrors…

Is that what people have been getting from that? I’ve been reading intense self-loathing from it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Steiv posted:

Is that what people have been getting from that? I’ve been reading intense self-loathing from it.

That's what I saw too. I wrote this yesterday but forgot to post it

1. Nate was always going to have a redemption. The character that's an unredeemable rear end in a top hat that won't be rehabbed is Rupert. Also Nate spitting at himself is definitely a self hating/confidence thing which I think means we'll see some growth there. I do hope he doesn't coach Richmond though

2. The messages the show is preaching are all good but why did the show turn into an after school special to deliver them. I guess they decided to use their platform to impart some good messages, which is admirable. It might not be so bad if they were better written, it's like they're going for a legit after school special heavy handed/borderline bad acting delivery. If this was community or 30 rock or something I'd say it was intentional

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The reason Nate still lives in his old flat and drove his old car is tied into why, the better part of a year into being a manager for a top tier premier league club he still gets wowed when his boss asks him out for a drink.

He doesn't think he deserves this/is good enough for it, and part of him is terrified of it all inevitably going away as quickly as it arrived.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

being a manager in the Prem isn’t exactly stable or guaranteed; the club I support is on their 3rd manager this season alone. that is at least realistic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also how many of us had to learn how to leave a bad boss? Bad bosses are plentiful and numerous and it takes awhile to develop the skills to deal with them.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
To those who live in the US and weren’t aware of how big the premier league is, I take it you don’t live in large cities? Every large city I’ve been to has had at least a dozen premier league focused bars, usually with each team having their own bar, as well as a few Spanish, Italian, and German teams having their own scene. It has been this way for at least a decade. Larger cities like NYC and LA even have multiple bars for the larger clubs.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
The thing about Ted Lasso is that we only gotta deal with him for 3 years but his ex wife put up with him for like a decade. Woman must be a saint.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

GigaPeon posted:

The thing about Ted Lasso is that we only gotta deal with him for 3 years but his ex wife put up with him for like a decade. Woman must be a saint.

There is no way she did not know what she was getting into when she married him.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

To those who live in the US and weren’t aware of how big the premier league is, I take it you don’t live in large cities? Every large city I’ve been to has had at least a dozen premier league focused bars, usually with each team having their own bar, as well as a few Spanish, Italian, and German teams having their own scene. It has been this way for at least a decade. Larger cities like NYC and LA even have multiple bars for the larger clubs.

Why would you look at a bar and think to yourself “ah yes this bar has a sports theme there must be a whole league, possibly several leagues of various levels, with enormous reach and popularity” and not “oh look a sports bar I guess the owner likes some team I’ve never heard of”

Honestly for that matter why would you even take special notice of a bar, there are thousands of them and I got things to do

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Around here it’s the English & Irish pubs that show Premiere League so you wouldn’t think “this is huge”, just “this is something foreign.”

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Looten Plunder posted:

The first part of her going off was fine, but then the complete swerve with "what do you want in life?" and "your sad sack mopey shtick is tiresome" was completely irrelevant to the situation.

But yeah, I guess if she's grooming him for head coach it's fine. Maybe I'm too harsh.

Nah I'm with you, it got deep and personal extremely quickly. For all we know that's where their relationship is, or how that workplace works. But we haven't seen them interact in ages. It felt like Rebecca has been watching the show.

EvilHawk posted:

If I remember correctly, he said that McAdoo wasn't gay, they cut away, they cut back and everyone is accepting it.

Yep. For a moment I wondered if Colin had just frozen up and everyone was like "uh why are you standing up?"

Also how does Colin know that Isaac isn't gay.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vegetable posted:

No one outside the US watches American football. Football is more popular than basketball around the world. I don’t understand what you’re confused about.
How a small local team from a town with like five teams in an area that's far less populous than the average American NFL city can generate so much revenue, but from what you're saying, it sounds like maybe the fans of teams in this kind of Football aren't as limited to the locals as they are in American football? Do I have that right?

On a different note, I emceed a show for a bunch of Aston Villa fans last night and boy howdy are English football fans both rowdy and horrible and great fun all at once, with the latter people largely keeping the former well supervised and then tipping extra when they get too drunk and disorderly. It was a fascinating bit of culture shock. I'm not used to rowdy drunks having their friends take care of them. It was really sweet.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

LividLiquid posted:

How a small local team from a town with like five teams in an area that's far less populous than the average American NFL city can generate so much revenue, but from what you're saying, it sounds like maybe the fans of teams in this kind of Football aren't as limited to the locals as they are in American football? Do I have that right?

On a different note, I emceed a show for a bunch of Aston Villa fans last night and boy howdy are English football fans both rowdy and horrible and great fun all at once, with the latter people largely keeping the former well supervised and then tipping extra when they get too drunk and disorderly. It was a fascinating bit of culture shock. I'm not used to rowdy drunks having their friends take care of them. It was really sweet.

Yes. People have their teams from their local leagues. But premier league is one of like 3 leagues where the best of the best end up so everyone also watches it. That viewership means money from the actual broadcast and merch and stuff. Since football is the most popular sport ever that's a poo poo load of people.

"The Premier League is the most-watched sports league in the world, broadcast in 212 territories to 643 million homes and a potential TV audience of 4.7 billion people."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I was super aware that it was the biggest league in the world, but teams having way more fans outside of their city than American sports leagues do (and in that case I don't mean across the world, just in America) is what's new and fascinating here.

Why would somebody who's never been to, say, Manchester be a U fan? That's bananas. And pretty cool.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i appreciated the one jury representative at the eurovision finals last night who offered hannah a bit of biscuit from a small pink box over satellite before giving his country's 12 points

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LividLiquid posted:

Why would somebody who's never been to, say, Manchester be a U fan? That's bananas. And pretty cool.

Sometimes it's glory hunting, usually it's inherited from friends or family that support the team. Or you might just be a fan of how they play.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LividLiquid posted:

I was super aware that it was the biggest league in the world, but teams having way more fans outside of their city than American sports leagues do (and in that case I don't mean across the world, just in America) is what's new and fascinating here.

I know people in Texas, born and raised, that have no connection to San Francisco that are lifelong 49ers fans so it's not too crazy to me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LividLiquid posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but all of the teams I'd call "my team" I chose around age seven based on a combination of them having dark blue uniforms and a winning record.

I get why someone who wants to attend games would be a fan of the local team, but for those of us who grew up too far from a pro sports city to have that experience the TV makes all the major teams equally accessible.

What I find really weird though are people who end up fans of obscure distant teams in second or third tier leagues they had no real exposure to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In America your favorite team is mostly controlled by whichever one had the most popular merchandise during your formative years.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Strange Cares posted:

Why would you look at a bar and think to yourself “ah yes this bar has a sports theme there must be a whole league, possibly several leagues of various levels, with enormous reach and popularity” and not “oh look a sports bar I guess the owner likes some team I’ve never heard of”

Honestly for that matter why would you even take special notice of a bar, there are thousands of them and I got things to do

Again if you live in a big city and haven’t noticed the number of people in premier league jerseys crawling all over the place on a weekends, that is on you. Big games pull in 2 million viewers.

F1 in the US is where the premier league was 10 years ago, and you would be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t know F1 was pretty big in the USA at the moment. The show only exists because of big the premier league already was. Amazon has already done documentaries covering 3 different premier league teams, and is filming a 4th.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

withak posted:

In America your favorite team is mostly controlled by whichever one had the most popular merchandise during your formative years.

The amount of sad Cowboys millennial fans is astounding

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrantWD posted:

Well, it makes sense here because we don't have a soccer scene of our own. But why do, say, people in Italy want to watch the English Premier League instead of the Italian Supreme Division? Does the Premier League tend to draw the higher-caliber players from all over Europe due to capitalism or something? Or is it typical for fans to follow more than one national league?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Well, it makes sense here because we don't have a soccer scene of our own. But why do, say, people in Italy want to watch the English Premier League instead of the Italian Supreme Division? Does the Premier League tend to draw the higher-caliber players from all over Europe due to capitalism or something? Or is it typical for fans to follow more than one national league?

Italians, Germans, Spanish, and the French mostly watch their own league, but most other places watch the premier league. It is the biggest draw because it has more “big” teams than the other leagues. Spain for example has 2 big teams that are several levels above anyone else in their league in terms of followers and resources. Germany, France and Italy have 1. England has 6 (soon to be 7). When you have more big, rich teams - you get a lot more big games for neutrals to tune in to - and more drama. At least 1 if not more of the big 6 will be having a disastrous season in any given season - which is always fun for everyone else who is not a fan of that club.

Over time that has resulted in a lot more money pouring in to the premier league. The 20th placed team, probably makes more money from TV rights than the 2nd placed team in the next richest league. It has started to create a bit of a cycle where more money attracts more quality players to the league, which attracts more viewers, which leads to more money. It has all of the big non-premier league teams worried about how dominant it is becoming.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Phenotype posted:

People in Italy watch the Italian League first and other leagues after that. And probably vice-versa for other countries. Serie A (the Italian league) isn’t as profitable as the Premier League, but it’s still one of the 10 most profitable sports leagues in the world. 6 of the 10 most profitable sports leagues in the world are soccer leagues, in fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue?wprov=sfti1

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

LividLiquid posted:

People pick teams for silly arbitrary reasons and the code of sports necessitates that you don't switch unless there's some really good reason, like your team suddenly sucking because the club was bought by an american owner who knows less about football than Ted Lasso is not a good enough reason.

Personally I follow Chelsea because they had a really good team on Pro Evolution Soccer 2006 and that's kind of what got me into football. Mmm, Shevchenko and Drogba, what a partnership.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Phenotype posted:

Because the premier league is a more competitive league with bigger household names, due to TV deals and billionaire owners the 20th placed premier league team has much bigger revenue than say, the 4th placed team in Spain or Italy, they say that the most profitable competition in football is actually the play-offs from the championship (english 2nd division) to the premier league because you're guranteed to make something like 200 million pounds even if you get relegated following season, no other league can compete, the competition comes from particularly big clubs in the other top leagues that have a long tradition of success and a lot of money, but often they also struggle, Barcelona nearly imploded financially this year, Bayern Munich were annihilated by Manchester City in the Champions League, etc.

So ultimately, people watch the PL because it's kind of like the only league where you have recognizable football stars playing for teams outside the top 3 and where almost any match is going to be highly competitive. And also the premier league is just a touch more violent than most other top leagues, and that helps.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Americans choose Premiership teams for completely arbitrary reasons because we want to watch soccer that is good and it’s a bonus that it runs in winter when MLS doesn’t.

there are loads of Manchester United fans because they were easily accessible on TV, for instance.

I support Tottenham because I’m Jewish and a lot of their support historically has been Jewish. It’s just a matter of finding one random thing and going “yeah sure that’s my team ok cool”

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i support tottenham because i don't know how to be happy

TyrantWD posted:

Spain for example has 2 big teams that are several levels above anyone else in their league in terms of followers and resources. Germany, France and Italy have 1.

i'm assuming you're talking about juventus here but i do not think inter and ac milan should be so easily dismissed. although inter milan's finances are kind of very hosed right now

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i support tottenham because i don't know how to be happy

i'm assuming you're talking about juventus here but i do not think inter and ac milan should be so easily dismissed. although inter milan's finances are kind of very hosed right now

Yeah Italy have had 4 different league winners the past 4 years, it’s a lot more competitive these days then it has been in the past.

It is true about the Spain, France, and Germany, though. And given Man City has won 4 of the last 5 EPL seasons (soon to be 5 of 6 :rolleyes: ), I’d argue it’s not totally off base to the say the EPL is become a one-team pony.

Since we’re doing teams, I support Liverpool because Red is my favorite color and, at the time, had a shirt sponsored by Carlsberg which, as a young dumb 20 year old, I thought was rad that they had a beer sponsor when everyone else had banks and airlines and poo poo (Liverpool are now, of course, sponsored by a bank).

In the words of Coach Beard: “Yeah, it’s dumb.”

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 15, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phenotype posted:

If you're a basketball fan, no matter where you are in the world, you watch the NBA. That's where the real action happens, the best teams and the best players and the best drama. You might also follow an NCAA team or whatever the gently caress, but you're not gonna neglect the NBA.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 15, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The Champions League also gives eyes to domestic viewers of other clubs that are in other leagues - leading to people gaining affinities for other nations clubs. A notable example of that would be Borussia Dortmund - Everyone likes Dortmund except Bayern fans.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Another thing that I assume contributes to the "big fan of Premiere League Team even though you don't live there" is that soccer is a global sport, and EPL has been a league with players from all over the world to a greater degree than any of the big sports in the United States.

I am in no way an active fan of EPL but know a lot of people who are, but if you look at the Premiere League Player of the Season since the league formed, there's representation from Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Portugal, Serbia, Sweden, Trinidad & Tobago and Uruguay.

In the same time period in the NFL (the most popular sports league in the United States), every single MVP has been from America.

The NBA and MLB are somewhat more diverse, but baseball is almost exclusively from the Americas; baseball has a couple of Canadian MVPs, a few Venezuelans and Dominicans, and two Japanese players (Ichiro and Ohtani). The NBA's MVPs include folks from Nigeria, Canada, Germany, Greece by way of Nigeria, Serbia, and Cameroon.

I'm not saying that people in a certain country or region jump around to support every player from their country or region, but in many cases if you're a baseball fan in Japan and you got into MLB because of Hideo Nomo, Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, Ohtani, etc. that creates a fanbase of Dodgers/Mariners/Yankees/Angels loyalists in Japan, who in many cases will stick with "their" team even after the national hero leaves the team.

Maybe I'm overestimating that sort of imprinting, but it definitely plays a role.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 15, 2023

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe I'm overestimating that sort of imprinting, but it definitely plays a role.

Nah, I think it's very valid. I know an Everton fan who started following them specifically because of Tim Howard.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The Lebron James of Soccer, Christian Pulisic brought about a ton of Dortmund fans and maybe in a weird extension, Chelsea fans; surely.

It's funny talking about how big soccer is and where origins of fandom come from - but the FIFA games is a huge part of it, imprinting, family allegiances (even after emigrating), all this stuff leads to massive massive fan groups spreading throughout North America.

Back on topic though: The Latest Episode was definitely a better one of the last stretch of 5 I think, but it still falls pray to egregious meandering, some scenes drag on for so so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

Again if you live in a big city and haven’t noticed the number of people in premier league jerseys crawling all over the place on a weekends, that is on you. Big games pull in 2 million viewers.

F1 in the US is where the premier league was 10 years ago, and you would be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t know F1 was pretty big in the USA at the moment. The show only exists because of big the premier league already was. Amazon has already done documentaries covering 3 different premier league teams, and is filming a 4th.

If you live in a big city you're passing hundreds if not thousands of people while walking around any given day, as well dozens of bars and restaurants all with different themes and styles. Even if you are observant enough to notice the same multi-colored shirt on a few different people, and maybe even match it to a banner on a bar you passed, I don't understand how that momentary blip somehow grants more in depth knowledge of a sport. You're also passing a lot of people wearing obscure band or anime shirts or whatever, maybe you see one and it interests you enough to look it up, or more likely you see/hear about that band/anime later and vaguely recall the person wearing the shirt, even more often it just leaks out of your brain 15 seconds later if it even registered in the first place.

I have a brother-in-law who is into Arsenal and has a tattoo of the canon on his chest, he talks to me about it sometimes, but one week after talking to him I probably wouldn't have been able to name the league they were in, much less compare its popularity to other leagues around the world (although obviously the league thing has changed since Ted Lasso, but I still wouldn't know how to compare the Premiere League's popularity to a league from say South America).

People have a lot of hobbies and poo poo on their minds! And they are interacting with a ton of poo poo on a daily basis all around them that they can't just absorb knowledge of. Presumably this is one of your hobbies so you have knowledge of it and pay attention to it, but I guarantee there's poo poo about topics that don't directly interest you like aspects/subgenres of fashion, music, food, whatever that you are filtering out on a constant basis walking down the street.

Also I had no clue about F1 having a surge in popularity in the US and even among people who I would consider worldly/cultured/well-traveled/knowledgeable I would guess maybe half of them would have any clue about it if brought up. Like general knowledge sure but "F1 is big in the USA at the moment" I would be surprised, "hard pressed to find someone who didn't know" seems like a super lofty goal.