Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Headset conquered. I bashed the fork race with a PVC tube and hammer until it fit, and then made my own press out washers, bolts and a threaded rod I got at the hardware store.

Still need to set the starnut and cut the tube...somewhere? Probably after the rest of it is done. Wheel parts are still stuck in customs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Turmoilx posted:

typing in my measurements on competitive cycle site fit calculator to double triple check before i order a frame but wow .. is it hard for anyone else to understand the directions listed there
the more times i checked about sizing the more confusing it got and mixed results. so based off the 51cm road bike i had i just went with the 50cm soma wolverine b type 4.0 frame ordered was considering the 52 at first but figure i can just adjust other things if its wrong somehow

never dealt with bike fit before in my past anywhere close to this precise level so i don't think i could tell the difference between those sizes anyway

Sizing bikes yourself is tough, it's why bike fittings exist (and why good ones are expensive)

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
... and also why bad ones get to be expensive too!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Turmoilx posted:

typing in my measurements on competitive cycle site fit calculator to double triple check before i order a frame but wow .. is it hard for anyone else to understand the directions listed there
the more times i checked about sizing the more confusing it got and mixed results. so based off the 51cm road bike i had i just went with the 50cm soma wolverine b type 4.0 frame ordered was considering the 52 at first but figure i can just adjust other things if its wrong somehow

never dealt with bike fit before in my past anywhere close to this precise level so i don't think i could tell the difference between those sizes anyway

Sizing varies a great deal between brands / models, best thing to do if you already have a bike that fits is check stack & reach vs. the old frame on https://geometrygeeks.bike/

Knowing the bars will be (with no spacers) 20mm lower and 10mm further away than your current bike is far more use imo.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Turmoilx posted:

Get a bike fit.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What price range are you trying to hit? I got a set of Alex rimmed 650B wheels off ebay for $99 and they are fine except for the weight.

Cheap as poo poo. Honestly, I’m stretched a bit thin on this restoration project. It’s an old Rockhopper frame from 89, and I went overboard on shiny bits. :smith:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Found my spirit animal today.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

wooger posted:

Sizing varies a great deal between brands / models, best thing to do if you already have a bike that fits is check stack & reach vs. the old frame on https://geometrygeeks.bike/

Knowing the bars will be (with no spacers) 20mm lower and 10mm further away than your current bike is far more use imo.

good site. well that's weird.. lol. ..and does anyone by chance know what type/size BB it uses? or am i just best off looking for other builds based off this frame to see what BB they used because the soma website doesn't say from what i saw

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 11, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Turmoilx posted:

good site. well that's weird.. lol. ..and does anyone by chance know what type/size BB it uses? or am i just best off looking for other builds based off this frame to see what BB they used because the soma website doesn't say from what i saw

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/wolverine

If it's this one it says 68mm English

(And older bikes generally don't have reach and stack listed, it's only become ubiquitous relatively recently)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I would be absolutely shocked if they put anything other than standard 68mm BSA on a soma road frame

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I found out that the dropper post I bought isn't going to work great for this bike I'm assembling. Basically it will work, it meets the minimum insertion, but I would be running it fulltime at 60% extension. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not yet.

But I was thinking about how I screwed up and I'm not sure any dropper post would work on this bike to have the seat fully extended but at the right height.

Basically because the distance between the first braze-on and the seat collar is less than the distance between the seat collar and where I want my butt, it seems like I would always have this compromise no matter what, unless I had a dropper that just was too short and caused the total length to be less than my proper fit.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

You do not need to get a post that drops all the way to the seat collar… what am I missing here?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

For example:

https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/revive-185.html

Min insertion is 130mm, which seems fine for your braze-on situation, and at that min insertion, collar to seat rails is 355mm. Insert 16mm + [height of seat above rails] past minimum insertion and you're set.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah sorry, you're right. What you're missing is sleep deprivation, a $200 dropper post covered in some kind of industrial ky jelly you can't use, and an hour squinting at one-up technical drawings with a ruler and a living room that looks like a bomb went off.

I took a nap and (mostly) figured it out.

Is this enough bar drop?

Seat is going to end up 100mm lower and the stem will probably be moving up another 100mm.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 12, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
That color is great

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

Clark Nova posted:

I would be absolutely shocked if they put anything other than standard 68mm BSA on a soma road frame

its not a road frame! .. its an all road frame :smug: plan is a hope BB or chris king

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/wolverine

If it's this one it says 68mm English

(And older bikes generally don't have reach and stack listed, it's only become ubiquitous relatively recently)
oh drat.. this page IS different than the page of their site i bought it from, thanks. i kept looking at the buy page that had some but not all the info, and had to click faq tab :eng99: that just gave me all the info i needed! for now.

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 12, 2023

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah sorry, you're right. What you're missing is sleep deprivation, a $200 dropper post covered in some kind of industrial ky jelly you can't use, and an hour squinting at one-up technical drawings with a ruler and a living room that looks like a bomb went off.

I took a nap and (mostly) figured it out.

Is this enough bar drop?

Seat is going to end up 100mm lower and the stem will probably be moving up another 100mm.

Is the fork around the wrong way or is it just hanging weird because it's all loose?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
yeah everything is just hanging loose relaxing, nothing is torqued down so its just flopping around. You can see the disc brake caliper on the drive side. Once the rims show up next week I'll start actually assembling things.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Salt Fish posted:

yeah everything is just hanging loose relaxing, nothing is torqued down so its just flopping around. You can see the disc brake caliper on the drive side. Once the rims show up next week I'll start actually assembling things.

Sweet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My road bike is cool and fun and I've done a lot of optimisation to it to make it perfect for me, but I also don't like the way it looks and it's pretty beaten up so I've been looking at bikes that are of a similar era and spec

Someone talk me out of this this

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

it's red like a ferrari

that frame bend is a lil weird though right before the seat nose

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good spotting, I was trying to work out if that's actually bent or if the tube tapers there

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

it might be normal not sure

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

not suggesting you buy this bike but this is gonna be a good deal for someone.

$2300 NZD for a cannondale super six Di2 bike, nice

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/sports/cycling/road-bikes/medium-53-56cm/listing/4122001857

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i am suggesting you buy the cannondale ultegra di2 bike slavvy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I were a cash elemental I would do that but it's about ten times my budget

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress these old steel bikes are motherfucking tough. I bent my rear triangle 2 years ago when chain got between casette and spokes, because I was a n00b. Well today I made new wheels because of bearing problems and 13-24 old uniglide 6 speed casette.

I made a straight wheel and realized it won't sit straight. I started looking at my rear triangle and at least 4 things are hosed up:
- right seatstay is quite a bit bent towards bottom bracket
- right seatstay is slightly bent towards left seatstay
- left seatstay is slightly bent towards bottom bracket
- left seatstay is slightly bent towards left

I tried to split a piece of wood and step onto the seatstay with my heel. I tried standing on the seatstay with only one feet, with my full weight. I tried jumping on the setstay. It won't straighten at all. gently caress.

Many companies, including Park Tool, made tools to straighten out seat&chainstays, back in the day: https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/seat-and-chainstay-straightener-ss-1

I wonder if anyone still in Finland has something like that. Seems I need a real tool, or a friend with more power in legs than I have.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I ride a giant defy. I do 99% road with just a few occasional gravel sections. I was thinking of swapping the stick 32mm giant fondo 1 tires for some gp5000 slicks. What width should I go with? The wheels are giant PR2s.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hutzpah posted:

I ride a giant defy. I do 99% road with just a few occasional gravel sections. I was thinking of swapping the stick 32mm giant fondo 1 tires for some gp5000 slicks. What width should I go with? The wheels are giant PR2s.

32mm would work well for both. Maybe 35 if you want to sacrifice some road speed for more gravel capability

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
You could likely underbite on 32s or 30s. There’s a short gravel section after a giant climb around here that I power through on 30s.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Whoops wrong thread

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 13, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a good place to find structured training plans other than something like Trainer Road? I don’t think I am really at a point where I need something super complex. Mostly just looking to have some sort of structure to get a bit fitter when biking, but ideally something which allows for a sort of wildcard ride on the weekend. I do have power/now heart rate tracked + trainer access.

E: eg according to Zwift i am at like 2.5 w/kg, so pretty beginner

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

tildes posted:

Is there a good place to find structured training plans other than something like Trainer Road? I don’t think I am really at a point where I need something super complex. Mostly just looking to have some sort of structure to get a bit fitter when biking, but ideally something which allows for a sort of wildcard ride on the weekend. I do have power/now heart rate tracked + trainer access.

This is good and flexible, I have used it quite a bit when life gets in the way of things like the Zwift plans which don’t allow much leeway:

https://sparecycles.blog/2022/01/02/sustainable-training/

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

450g full carbon forks for under $300, why do they have an option to "add headset lower" to the cost though, that comes with a headset doesn't it, confused on that. looks like a good choice though
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/frames/products/state-bicycle-co-carbon-fiber-black-label-gravel-fork

how do i find a crankset to use for this 104mm bcd ? i been searchin but havin a real hard time, for 68/73mm BB or just 68?

or 130mm 5 bolt too i guess, i've not tried that yet, is this a 'you must use gates for this part too' kinda thing ..i hate that for this part. i sent a question about it to universal cycle site maybe those geniuses know of something im missing. so don't bother to look if you don't know it either.. let them do the impossible
closest i got was finding a spider by northshore that is the right size but im not familiar

i looked around on reddit before postin here the past two days and.. it was terrible. i hate to come here asking my dumb idiot questions about a thing that no one (maybe 2) uses on a build here

the answer seems to be "Get a direct mount crankset and a 104bcd spider" i saw on the internet. that helps some, direct mount

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 13, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tildes posted:

Have you tried the trainerroad free trial? I like trainerroad, used it for a couple of years over winter but just let my subscription go as I’m not sure I’ll use it enough/at all over summer. And their high price, legacy pricing for older customers & billing in USD means I’m paying 3x what some of their customers are, which feels like a pisstake.

If they fulfilled all the promise they have & correctly tracked and incorporated ad-hoc outside rides into the training progress/plans, maybe it’d be worth it, but they’re not there yet.

There are more expensive alternatives like training peaks. There’s the training bits of zwift, which I can’t stand.

There’s a far cheaper clone of trainerroad called TrainerDay, which works fine, obviously lacks the claimed behind the scenes magic of trainerroad, but sadly still has subscription pricing. £4.99 /month is 1/4 the price of trainerroad where I am though.

Maybe worth having a look at the free trial for Wahoo SYSTM for something a bit different.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Turmoilx posted:

450g full carbon forks for under $300, why do they have an option to "add headset lower" to the cost though, that comes with a headset doesn't it, confused on that. looks like a good choice though
https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/frames/products/state-bicycle-co-carbon-fiber-black-label-gravel-fork

how do i find a crankset to use for this 104mm bcd ? i been searchin but havin a real hard time, for 68/73mm BB or just 68?

or 130mm 5 bolt too i guess, i've not tried that yet, is this a 'you must use gates for this part too' kinda thing ..i hate that for this part. i sent a question about it to universal cycle site maybe those geniuses know of something im missing. so don't bother to look if you don't know it either.. let them do the impossible
closest i got was finding a spider by northshore that is the right size but im not familiar

i looked around on reddit before postin here the past two days and.. it was terrible. i hate to come here asking my dumb idiot questions about a thing that no one (maybe 2) uses on a build here

the answer seems to be "Get a direct mount crankset and a 104bcd spider" i saw on the internet. that helps some, direct mount

Whats the bike the crank is going on? You have to have a belt drive compatible frame/bike to use that part which I’m not sure you have.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I need to start following gpx files on mtb rides. I normally use strava but free version doesn’t support loading them afaik. What’s the best non-subscription ios app? I don’t mind paying but I don’t want to pay Outside yearly or whatever.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

WorkOutDoors is really good if you have an apple watch

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

vikingstrike posted:

Whats the bike the crank is going on? You have to have a belt drive compatible frame/bike to use that part which I’m not sure you have.

If you read up the thread OP specifically bought the Wolverine to work with this belt drive build.

Regarding crank compatibility: if not going all Gates, I'd probably look for something with the right BCD from a fairly known name then email Gates to find out if their chainring will fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Vando posted:

If you read up the thread OP specifically bought the Wolverine to work with this belt drive build.

Regarding crank compatibility: if not going all Gates, I'd probably look for something with the right BCD from a fairly known name then email Gates to find out if their chainring will fit.

Ah whoops my bad