Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Soviet doctrine for the longest time was to fight buttoned up. This was at odds with the tank designs that had poor vision and ventilation. Every time I read about crew experiences in T-55s, T-62s, and even T-64s on, many of them talk about how often their hatches were open for reasons of vision or comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

So the Russians took the exactly wrong lesson here; they are cope-caging against their own weapons, not against the weapons their opponent uses.

I’ve seen pics of cope-cages that had ERA on top of them. They’ve had plenty of examples of what a tandem charge does, but somebody somewhere is probably getting screamed at to “DO loving SOMETHING, ANYTHING!!!”, so that’s what happened.

We end up getting a bunch of goofy looking stuff bolted on in random ways places/places, but I’m pretty sure the only way you’re beating a javelin missile (once airborne) is to shoot it down, or hoping the person shooting or sucked at targeting. Again, that tandem charge was literally designed against Soviet ERA, and we haven’t seen anything shut those missiles down yet.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Der Kyhe posted:

I find it sort of funny that the slit armor works when it goes against the old Soviet anti-armor weapons, but basically has no meaning against the western weapons produced after 60's. It worked in the recent conflicts for the NATO and US forces because their enemy was using old Soviet weapons.

So the Russians took the exactly wrong lesson here; they are cope-caging against their own weapons, not against the weapons their opponent uses. The only part of the cope cage that actually sort-of works, is the one that makes it impossible for an overhead drone to drop a grenade down the open hatch; why are you driving or guarding with your hatches open, and/or why aren't you doing anything useful to counter the drones.

ukraine is using a lot of older russian weapon systems too and even stuff that is a further step down, eg the rocket propelled mortars and the like. common theme with russian stuff seems to be that the higher end of it is genuinely quite capable but there's never all that much of it

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

I find it sort of funny that the slit armor works when it goes against the old Soviet anti-armor weapons, but basically has no meaning against the western weapons produced after 60's. It worked in the recent conflicts for the NATO and US forces because their enemy was using old Soviet weapons.

So the Russians took the exactly wrong lesson here; they are cope-caging against their own weapons, not against the weapons their opponent uses. The only part of the cope cage that actually sort-of works, is the one that makes it impossible for an overhead drone to drop a grenade down the open hatch; why are you driving or guarding with your hatches open, and/or why aren't you doing anything useful to counter the drones.

I think there is still sense in slat armor on Russian tanks. There are a lot of RPG-7 launchers in Ukraine. As in, more than they can possibly have users for. It has been seen in many, many videos from the front, simply because there are enough of them that every squad walking around somewhere probably has at least one.

Ukraine also has a bunch of more modern weapons, but they don't have enough of those to always have them everywhere, and the very least the slat armor on an ancient tank encourages Ukrainians to spend more valuable munitions to defeat it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

And even if they have modern weapons, they are used sparingly. If you remember the trench warfare footage from a month or two ago with the guy fighting off a BMP-load of Russians with his helper handing him weapons and ammo, in that video he shoots off a bunch of RPG rounds but when he wants to use a Matador ATGM, he radios his commander for permission. He ends up not using it, but I found that interesting that they're rationing the better western kit that way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Duzzy Funlop posted:

*edit: Link removed because dead bodies*

Link says it all, absolutely crazy poo poo to behold.
I'm assuming surrendering to drones isn't even that rare in this war, but I've never seen a video of it thus far.

Nothing :nws:, bunch of close-call explosions that I can't quite explain

The Ukrainian narrative says that the explosions are his own side trying to kill him before he can surrender

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

There are a lot of reasons to operate your tank unbuttoned, and the most significant one is that with the commander operating head out, he has far better situational awareness in a battlefield. If you're not in an artillery bombardment or getting shot at by small arms, you can potentially have better survivability head out as compared to the illusion of safety buttoning up your tank provides. There are plenty of reasons to close the hatches, too, but a tank in combat with open hatches isn't automatically a dumb thing.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

There are a lot of reasons to operate your tank unbuttoned, and the most significant one is that with the commander operating head out, he has far better situational awareness in a battlefield. If you're not in an artillery bombardment or getting shot at by small arms, you can potentially have better survivability head out as compared to the illusion of safety buttoning up your tank provides. There are plenty of reasons to close the hatches, too, but a tank in combat with open hatches isn't automatically a dumb thing.

And the reason to operate buttoned up is that the Soviets fully expected the WW3 battlefield to be heavily contaminated by all 3 of NB and C.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It's not a terrible assumption to be making, seriously

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

A.o.D. posted:

How far is the TC out? Just his head or like full torso WH40K style?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Der Kyhe posted:

So the Russians took the exactly wrong lesson here; they are cope-caging against their own weapons, not against the weapons their opponent uses.

Cope cage cargo cult

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think there is still sense in slat armor on Russian tanks. There are a lot of RPG-7 launchers in Ukraine. As in, more than they can possibly have users for. It has been seen in many, many videos from the front, simply because there are enough of them that every squad walking around somewhere probably has at least one.

Ukraine also has a bunch of more modern weapons, but they don't have enough of those to always have them everywhere, and the very least the slat armor on an ancient tank encourages Ukrainians to spend more valuable munitions to defeat it.

Yeah, there's a common tendency in Internet Armchair General discussion to say "X system can be defeated by Y system so why even bother?", which ignores the real life challenges in getting Y into a position where it can effectively engage X, and the ability of X to effectively defend against threats A through W. I don't speak Tank well enough to really comment on that side of things, but you see it a lot in air defense / air power discussions as well. "Helicopters are vulnerable to MANPADS", well yeah, that's why you have tactics and systems that mitigate that threat, and in a heavy combat situation you make a calculated risk decision that you may lose a certain number of aircraft in order to achieve your objective.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tuna-Fish posted:

And the reason to operate buttoned up is that the Soviets fully expected the WW3 battlefield to be heavily contaminated by all 3 of NB and C.

Tbf it got Donald trump elected for them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, there's a common tendency in Internet Armchair General discussion to say "X system can be defeated by Y system so why even bother?", which ignores the real life challenges in getting Y into a position where it can effectively engage X, and the ability of X to effectively defend against threats A through W. I don't speak Tank well enough to really comment on that side of things, but you see it a lot in air defense / air power discussions as well. "Helicopters are vulnerable to MANPADS", well yeah, that's why you have tactics and systems that mitigate that threat, and in a heavy combat situation you make a calculated risk decision that you may lose a certain number of aircraft in order to achieve your objective.
It's all logistics, you make the loss rate so prohibitive the winning move is not to play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nystral posted:

"Name tag defilade" is a term I've heard used.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Hekk posted:

It's easy to forget that we have goons with friends and family in Ukraine right now fighting for their existence. I know that information and updates about progress ebbs and flows but before we completely derail this thread with extremely off topic subjects, take a look around GIP and see if there isn't a better spot for that conversation.

Yeah, I played EVE with my Ukrainian friends. I hope they are safe and doing well. :ohdear:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They should join cyberwar and steal from Russian corps for real

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Nystral posted:

As far as he needs to, and as low as he can while still seeing poo poo. Depending on the tank you are on (for example, the CROWS .50 on the abrams sits squarely in front of the TC and is the size of a trash can) I have seen TCs from nametape defilade to ”standing on top of the turret to peek over the hilltop” depending on what is necessary. The difference between ”looking through periscopes and optics” vs ”seeing 360 around you” is hard to explain without showing but reality is that 99% of the time nobody will ask ”why was the TC looking outside” - instead the question is gonna be ”why was he buttoned up and didnt see X/Y/Z next to the tank?”

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was going through training, they told us that Soviet doctrine was to have TC exposed until they encountered armor, and that's why their hatches opened backwards. Anyone else ever heard that? I haven't a clue if it's correct.

I didn't think it really mattered, because I can only hurt the squishy parts anyway.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Unsure if it was a deliberate design decision to have it act as a forward shield of sorts but it definitely forces the commander to be further out in order to see around the hatch.

I've always gone with anything more than shoulders out is too much, unless you're doing some tight manoeuvring around obstacles.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Tuna-Fish posted:

That reminded me of this video from early in the war where the Ukrainian forces were kitted out with an absurd amount of ordnance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADsM8PhGN8U

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1657067703889166342

Fun new toys found in the Ukrainian inventory.

Lots of armchair theorizing going on about how it's going to make Russian air defenses cry, which seems accurate since it was apparently used in connection with a Russian repair point getting blasted with pinpoint accuracy in the Russian-held parts of Luhansk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1657067703889166342

Fun new toys found in the Ukrainian inventory.

Lots of armchair theorizing going on about how it's going to make Russian air defenses cry, which seems accurate since it was apparently used in connection with a Russian repair point getting blasted with pinpoint accuracy in the Russian-held parts of Luhansk.

It was claimed it was heralding a Storm Shadow missile in it's wake. Some tweets show Storm Shadow fragments. It makes sense to use the Storm Shadow missiles ASAP once the capability is known and the enemy starts moving their assets beyond the missile's range.

fe: the tweet
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1657317762157477888

edit: closer to source tweet says it was 2 Storm Shadow missiles

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1657314335507595266

karoshi fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 13, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Was it already known the AFU had received MALD? Very cool they are getting the good stuff.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This war is progressing in reverse order. We started at Cope cages, we've regressed to MALD, when do we get to seethe?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not malding, you're malding!

This is a pretty big deal, right? Even if the Russians move their important assets beyond the range of the missile, that will still stretch their supply lines?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Which are already laughable.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

This is a pretty big deal, right? Even if the Russians move their important assets beyond the range of the missile, that will still stretch their supply lines?

MALD isn't a particularly big deal, it's just a system that can improve the survivability of Ukrainian pilots. It doesn't necessarily introduce a new capability. Storm Shadow, however, gives them longer legs on what they can effectively strike. As has been noted, depending on the exact version they've been supplied with, they can hit anything outside of Crimea with the export version, and the Kerch Bridge if they have the top of the line model from territory they already control. However, as it's an air-launched system, the pilots will need to launch it from significantly further back from the front lines to give themselves the greatest possible chance of evading Russian anti-air.

Storm Shadow is really expensive, so they're not going to have the availability to sling it at every ammo dump in range. They'll need to be discriminating in order to get the most out of it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Today is apparently the day where Russian telegram scrambles to work out if it is more embarrassing to claim that Ukraine shot down 4 aircraft, or that it was friendly fire.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I wonder if there was a brief panic in Russias IADS command center when they locked on to what they thought was an F 15

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1657368124788809728

Speaking of "in range," it seems like pretty big news that some Russian aviation now isn't even getting over the border before coming crashing down burning. Feels like the first time we've seen that outside of technical failures. There are also some unconfirmed rumours the downed helicopters were specifically carrying artillery unit officers, which it would seem like a pretty big coup for Ukraine to blow up since the biggest threat Russia has going for it appears to remain their artillery numbers advantage.

https://twitter.com/KilledInUkraine/status/1657362337626484736

quote:

“According to an army source based in Klintsy, one of the helicopters was carrying officers from two artillery brigades and inspectors from the group headquarters who were flying to inspect the location of artillery units. There is no confirmation of this information yet.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah supply lines will stretch to Crimea and Russia, extending beyond main land Ukraine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Moving patriot near the front where it will be combat useful.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

That's some next level fragging there. Not dropping grenades in your own command tent anymore!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
But why would Russia blow up their own air force?!?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

kemikalkadet posted:

But why would Russia blow up their own air force?!?

The helicopter in front has the working IFF transponder. When it is shot down, the helicopter in back picks it up and continues.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Calvin dad: And to verify the BUK's IFF subsystem they shoot at everything not responding and check twitter after running out of ammo.

(They should've run out of ammo after 4 hits.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/natalkakyiv/status/1657009895491641344?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hour long interview with Zaluzhny. Only had time to see a few minutes but it's looking really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadXxP_26V8&t=1399s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

I wonder if there was a brief panic in Russias IADS command center when they locked on to what they thought was an F 15

Pardon my complete ignorance but I wonder if the use of the AD-160 decoy threw off the AD and they got trigger happy. Yeah, it happened in a different area and time but if it were set say, to appear as a f-15 then maybe people on the ground freaked out a bit and were overly heightened?