Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

15 years in, but i’m a Chickam noobie

what do you with all the cocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

15 years in, but i’m a Chickam noobie

what do you with all the cocks?

Rooboys are rehomed, after CAREFUL vetting.

Oh, don't worry, Swiffer WILL BE SPOILED. Horribly.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Requesting Swiffer be spoiled rotten with snacks and petting on behalf of the thread.

Thanks for saving her lil life.

I know she's going to be spoiled under your care, but jumping in to say I wanna see this old lady turn into the sassiest lil princess

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oh, don't worry, Swiffer WILL BE SPOILED. Horribly.

Quoted for truth.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Your rescuing Swiffer reminds me years ago when the chick I named, Guardian, had a tough time of it with a funky leg but became a beloved house chicken. :3: Thank you for providing love and care to these animals and sharing it with the world!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Huh, stream's a little glitchy and angle's weird. Wonder what happened...

There's the little vandal on the way to try and perch on the camera!

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The same poultry swap where we got the hatching eggs, but a different seller. A man selling bantam Cochins at $20 a pop, some lady got there first and bought 5 birds from him, Swiffer and two roos were left. The guy took her out of the cage he'd brought her in and let me hold her and inspect her (that's what you do when buying, checking overall health).
She was in such poor condition there was no way I was gonna let her go back home with him. :smith:

I’m so glad you found her and brought her to an excellent chicken home! She’s adorable.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Your rescuing Swiffer reminds me years ago when the chick I named, Guardian, had a tough time of it with a funky leg but became a beloved house chicken. :3: Thank you for providing love and care to these animals and sharing it with the world!

Guardian grew into his name, he was the sweetest, courtly big gentleman, always looking out for the hens (we got him outside as often as we could, always supervised just in case). Here he is in superhero mode:

And yeah, all three of us are suckers for animals from the Scratch & Dent bin. It's not a good combination to have no one in the family who can vote a sensible 'No', LOL.

And Swiffer is doing great today, out with the flock. She's dustbathing and blends well enough with the other black bantam Cochins that the boys don't have her picked out as fresh meat.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’m curious about last year’s chicks. :3: I know Arson turned out to be a hen because she was looking stunning in the Halloween pics. Did Mjolnir turn out to be a hen or a roo? I think that was the only open question.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

kaom posted:

I’m curious about last year’s chicks. :3: I know Arson turned out to be a hen because she was looking stunning in the Halloween pics. Did Mjolnir turn out to be a hen or a roo? I think that was the only open question.

Mjolnir is a roo, and at least partly responsible for all the blondies this year. All the rest are hens, and still with us. So far all 5 roos we have are being okay with one another...

Also Triffid started crowing just now. :suicide:
And no, we cannot keep another roo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also Triffid started crowing just now. :suicide:
And no, we cannot keep another roo.

Well, that makes a lot of sense. I saw them flying around a lot and challenging the other chicks but figured it was just them being a few weeks older, but that does seem like it fits better with the other tiny roosters I've seen.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I like it when the chicks peck at the ground and then do a little dig with their back legs and then peck that spot again. It makes me unreasonably happy.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/rhsOHNp.mp4
NO ONE EXPECTS THE HENNISH INQUISITION!

lol videos and clips taken out of the stream like this are what I love the most about chickam, it's perfect

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My son had chicks in his classroom that just recently went away, which made him very sad. So I put on chickam and it made him very happy.

Bonus it also got the cats attention:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Awww... I'm glad!

If you see red beaks, it's because I gave them grapes and strawberries this morning.

Also, Eggroll is actually beginning to look indistiguishable from an eggroll, both in size and color. Such a chonk.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^^ Awww... I'm glad!

If you see red beaks, it's becaise I gave them grapes and strawberries this morning.

Also, Eggroll is actually beginning to look indistiguishable from an eggroll, both in size and color. Such a chonk.

We actually watched you toss the grapes and strawberries in. The baby has decided she really enjoys them too, so now she’s glued to it.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's warm enough that I've turned the heat lamps off, now you can watch the chicks in true daylight and see their true colors!

The light will be back on again at night, but as long as it's warm enough (and little Eggroll doesn't suffer) we'll leave the heat lamps off during the day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh wow, that lighting shows up a lot better. And prefect timing too, I'd checked out for a bit, and most of them are way further into that awkward half-feathered look now :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I see some shenanigans went down earlier this evening

https://i.imgur.com/QJ3l0Kk.mp4

TRIFFFFIDDDD! :arghfist:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 2, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I moved the cam over to the corner for now, hopefully the little stinkpot will lay off jumping on it. Tonight he jumped up on the edge of the box and aimed for my dinner plate as I walked by with it. I'm going to raise the cam in a day or so--the chicks are getting so big, it's time.

We've got a great shot at having a broody mom for the next round of chicks, BTW--we've got like 8 broody hens out there right now (the coop is a screamfest as they defend their nests). Luna (age 5) is the front runner, she's the biggest. Brick (age 4) is also in the running--it'll depend on how many chicks we end up with. Both are first-time broods and we'll watch to make sure they stick with it.
Chickam with a momma hen is a whole different experience. :v:

I'm candling the eggs that are in the ReptiPro in 4 days, we'll see then how many embryos we have!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

What do you do with the eggs that don't have embryos? Do you eat them or throw them away?

In general, do you eat the eggs from your flock? How do they compare to normal eggs?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

What do you do with the eggs that don't have embryos? Do you eat them or throw them away?

In general, do you eat the eggs from your flock? How do they compare to normal eggs?

Any duds are thrown away--the incubator runs at 99.5 to 101.0 degrees F and the eggs would have been in there for at least 10 days, so...yuck.
Beacuse any country kid can tell you that if you *really* want to egg someone's house right, you leave your ammo out in the sun for a week or two first so they can...ripen.

YES, we eat our girls eggs! We also provide loads of eggs to our local food closet, since we get about a dozen a day from our hens. Home-raised eggs taste AMAZING, supermarket eggs are tasteless in comparison--and free-range birds lay eggs naturally lower in cholestorol.

The camera has been relocated to the top edge of the brooder box, and two cinder blocks with cool pass-thrus were added! Big chicken fun! Let the ambushing begin...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Egg have been candled, we have embryos!
https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2023/05/egg-candling-update-for-chickam-round-2.html

Also: Dubious made it up to the edge of the brooder box today and got a VERY dirty look from Triffid, who thinks that's HIS spot. Everyone was distracted with goodies.
Eggroll is growing feathers now and not just great big ol' gobs of chicken meat. Wings and tail are coming in nicely.
Wingding getting fluffy as all get out, but has a giant spiky triangle on top of her head because those feathers still have the sheath on.

When this next batch hatches, our current chicks will be just a couple of days shy of 6 weeks old. At that point, weather permitting they'll be spending quite a few daylight hours out in the small run (they go out with the flock for good at 8 weeks of age) but will come into the brooder box at night.
What we'll do is securely partition off part of the brooder box for the new chicks/mama for the first 2 weeks. Then when the older chicks go out in the yard for good, the new chicks will get the run of the brooder box.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 5, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah that's awesome, this batch is growing up fast and more on the way. Hope things go well with the eggs.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

5 days to go 'til the next hatch! :henget:
It's *planned* for Monday, May 15th (1 day short of 21 days, the usual) but may happen on 5/14 (Mother's Day in the US!). The eggs go into lockdown in 2 days, that's when I'll candle for the last time to remove late quitters and move the eggs to the bottom shelf.

I'll keep the cam on the chicks until someone pips and starts to unzip--so if you look at our channel and see EGGS, the hatch is on!

We've got 90 bazillion broody hens out there, so one way or another, there WILL be a mom for this batch. We'll be sectioning off the brooder box to make a space for the new family, and the older chicks and the new ones will share the box for about 2 weeks--but during the day, the older chicks will be out in the small run to get them used to being outside--exceptions will be WingDing and Eggroll, who aren't feathered out/old enough yet.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Last day of egg turning!
The cam will be down for a bit this afternoon while he clean and rework the brooder box, halfing it to keep the incoming new chicks apart from the older ones--the older chicks are too rough.

Today is the last day of turning eggs, tonight they go into lockdown. When I candle tonight to remove any late quitters, I'll know how many chicks we can expect, and we'll plan our broody mom accordingly. I plan on halfing the box diagonally, so the view we have now will show both sets of chicks (the cam will be on the ReptiPro during the hatch, tho).

After this weekend, the older chicks will be in their 6th week and will spend the warm daylight hours out in the small run to get them used to the outdoors & other chickens. When the hatch happens, that night we'll install a broody hen in the dark--it helps her accept the chicks as hers. The older chicks may be distressed at full dark at first, but they'll be ok. :v:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
So this just happened:
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxXPhHPGAAViwTqnqx4g999giAjOZ11vSv

Ouch. Does this happen a lot?!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Leng posted:

So this just happened:
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxXPhHPGAAViwTqnqx4g999giAjOZ11vSv

Ouch. Does this happen a lot?!

Yeah, it does, unfortunately. Triffid can be kind of a jackass sometimes. We don't normally like to mix older chicks with younger, just for this reason. No serious damage done.
Time will give Eggroll her revenge when she grows up to be a GREAT big fat hen and SITS on her flockmates.

Meanwhile, the eggs go into lockdown tonight! I'll turn them and move them down to the bottom of the incubator around 11PM PST (in the US), that's when I'll candle them and see how many viable eggs we have. We've partitioned off the box, it cuts down on the room for the older chicks, but they're 6 weeks old next week and are going to start spending the daylight hours out in the small run to get them used to being outside and around the adult flock. They'll come in at night.

We've got three or four options for a broody mom right now, and which one we use will depend on how many chicks we get:
1. Bobo, a tiny black bantam Cochin (she could handle 2-4 chicks).
2. Marble, a large tortoiseshell bantam Cochin (she could handle 4-6 chicks and is my first choice).
3. Dart, a standard-sized mixed breed hen who could handle ALL THE CHICKS ON EARTH. No, really, just ask her. Dart is uber-fierce and roars a LOT, she'd be highly entertaining for mom, but she's a last resort because she's so big--being confined in that small of a space might be too stressfull on her, and I don't want her turning on the babies if she feels overcrowded.
4. The last option is Uptown Bus (medium sized buff bantam Cochin), who was a Chickam mom in 2020 when she hid a nest on us--she just went broody today.

Luna and Brick, who are the perfect size and would have been perfect no matter the number of chicks, dropped their brood today. Basil is also semi-broody but is kinda 'meh' about it, so not a great choice.

Anyway, here are some pics of Wingding, who is fluffing out nicely and has a triangle atop her head.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Wingding is glorious!

can't believe it is lockdown time already :peanut:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Tuned in earlier to see the partition up! :woop: Can’t wait for hatch round 2!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

LOCKDOWN!
The eggs got their final turn just now, and I candled to remove duds.

Final count: 5 eggs with chicks, 2 more I'm not sure of so they stayed in, 7 quitters. So with any luck, we'll have 5-7 chicks in a couple of days!

Also--NAMES! If you didn't submit a name the first time around, please do so now! If you picked one for the first hatch but want to change your choice, let me know!

I forgot to get pics of Eggroll's colors coming in...they're just...wow! BTW, Swiffer is doing great, she loves to be picked and petted and wants ALL the attention. Quite the talker, too. :v:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 13, 2023

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009
I’d like to suggest the name Pickle for one of the new chicks. :)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wanna change my suggestion to DJ Wormeater and hope for a musical genius chicken.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Looking at the stream every day I'm quite sure all of them are musical geniuses. At least compared to us low humans, they are amazing

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Hazel the Great for a name in case the other one got lost.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Checking in on the chicks growing into larger and larger fluffy balls of adorable has been a delight and I'm so excited to be around for a hatch this time around. I'm putting forth the name Scrimbles

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I don't remember if I put in a suggestion earlier, but I would like to submit Arc Reactor for this naming round.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Eurovision final is today, so I submit Cha Cha (go Finland!)

:cheers:
VVVV

best bale fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 13, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

best bale posted:

The Eurovision final is today, so I submit Cha Cha (go Finland!)

Well now I've gotta represent the PYF Comic thread and throw Chako into the name hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I submitted Love Actually before, but I dunno if it was too late to go in, so let’s stick with that.