Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Ok but what the gently caress does 'Thurnby Lodge will never be your promised land' mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whites who fled east when Indians arrived from Kenya and Uganda have some mixed up ideas about Jews and Muslims.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's just a general statement to any and all, thurnby lodge will never be your promised land, this place is not a place of honour, nothing valued is here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I went into Leicester city centre for the first time in a long while and I have to say it's looking good. It seemed happier, less litter, less pollution, there's a free bus that goes around and it's green and makes frog noises, the closed down shops that got occupied by scammy "£10 mystery box, not connected with the Oadby warehouse thefts!" pop up outlets have been replaced by either community ventures or food franchises, the only religion guys were singing gospel instead of shouting about how the world is in sin and everyone is poo poo.

So good work from the local community and lol at whoever is glaring out of their window at that.

e:
https://twitter.com/Leicester_News/status/1642784415813189635

https://twitter.com/JMarshUoL/status/1642958758421602325

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 13, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

You know what I'd like?
I'd like one loving person to ask Starmer what evidence he has that any of the poo poo he's planning to do, will actually work.
Akehurst told him so, and then reminded him of how lovely it is to go for a drive on a Sunday after a nice game of football, and how terrible it would be if there was video of someone having hit a cyclist after a pint or two, especially if that video were to unexpectedly emerge.

(It will emerge the second they have Wes! approval ratings high enough, at which point he will be taken out back and alpaca'd)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

the closed down shops that got occupied by scammy "£10 mystery box, not connected with the Oadby warehouse thefts!" pop up outlets

Oh is that what those are? There's one that shows up each winter in middlesbrough outside the cleveland center, they have the shop door half way open and a guy stands outside with a trunk and a microphone yelling about the weird bundles they were selling. Always wondered what the deal with that was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone else on octopus having problems submitting a reading today? I get to the 'yes that's right' button and nothing is happening. Tried different browsers, incognito, different devices. Been ongoing since last night.

Update it's worked now this evening.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 13, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Rivers of blood, filled with small boats.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

I went into Leicester city centre for the first time in a long while and I have to say it's looking good. It seemed happier, less litter, less pollution, there's a free bus that goes around and it's green and makes frog noises, the closed down shops that got occupied by scammy "£10 mystery box, not connected with the Oadby warehouse thefts!" pop up outlets have been replaced by either community ventures or food franchises, the only religion guys were singing gospel instead of shouting about how the world is in sin and everyone is poo poo.

So good work from the local community and lol at whoever is glaring out of their window at that.

e:
https://twitter.com/Leicester_News/status/1642784415813189635

https://twitter.com/JMarshUoL/status/1642958758421602325

Glad to hear Leicester has improved. I was there a few times about 5 years ago and after the shops shut the town was proper night of the Living dead, with people smashed out of their brains on Spice

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Ok but what the gently caress does 'Thurnby Lodge will never be your promised land' mean

No building Jerusalem Mecca in England's green and pleasant lands.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/500cigarettes/status/1657368548916842497?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: Obviously an earlier eurovision, but I love their take on it all

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1657039416622284803?s=20

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1656962793034137600?s=20

About this time in 1996, Labour were polling consistently between 45% and 55%, with the Tories between 20% and 30%.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

You can walk my path
You can wear my shoes
Let her talk like me
And be an angel too

But maybe
You ain't never gonna feel this way
You ain't never gonna know me
But I know you...
Teach you now that...

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1657039416622284803?s=20

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1656962793034137600?s=20

About this time in 1996, Labour were polling consistently between 45% and 55%, with the Tories between 20% and 30%.

I genuinely foresee labour dropping from here. Their position is forged solely from dissatisfaction with the Tories. Once manifestos are published and policies required and all lab can offer is "two thirds as much misery as the Tories, with no substantial answers to the problems facing society" that lead will shorten.

I predict a small majority. Enough to give the Tories the rest the want, and too narrow a margin for Kieth to do any of the radical policy changes he would never want to implement. They will then go into 28/29 with a platform of "give us a majority so we can radically do gently caress all", then lose to loving Jo Johnson or some other absolute ghoul

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Telegraph Sports having a normal one and accidentally proving how much of a non-issue their handwringing is.
https://twitter.com/ClassiestBuu2/status/1657026298223394820

https://twitter.com/GastlySundae/status/1656960562633252866

Also an interesting thread on policy wonkery:
https://twitter.com/joecguinan/status/1656675505062678528

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not clicking any more Twitter threads and I recommend you all do the same.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Trin Tragula posted:

Was there hope in 1997? Was not old enough then to know much except that some new person was PM with a D:Ream song.

Perhaps media presented it as an exciting time, and may try to do so again, but it's hard to imagine anyone popular hope about the outcome of the next election.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

1997 was the cusp of the new millenium, not "everything's been hosed for 20 years and it's only getting worse"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

domhal posted:

Was there hope in 1997?

Was 20 then.
The 90s was a glorious time, it was the pre-millenium, a beginning of a new age.
Everything was looking up, Thatcherites out, sleeze out, brand new thing called the internet and computer games beginning to get sorta realistic looking.
I remember watching Blair and thinking it was an amazing time and the future was going to be excellent.

Now, hah, I fully expect if I'm alive 30 years from now my best probable future is living back in my old family home and being able to use the electricity once a week.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

I'm not clicking any more Twitter threads and I recommend you all do the same.

:twitter:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

domhal posted:

Was there hope in 1997?

Yes a bit. I was one of those who cheered the arrival of Tonty. Little did I know. I also got laid off from a job I hated (and was thinking about quitting anyway but as they kept doing more & more layoffs just waited it out til they got to me) with the equivalent of 5 months take home pay and a new job a week later.

Also 'the millennium bug' was on the horizon and I was thinking about what supplies I should start getting in. I've mentioned the glorious tinned custard binge before ITT so no tinned custard in the apocalypse cupboard. Also discussions with people who would come out with idiocies such as "surely you don't believe in the Millennium" (qué?) no said I just know there will be issues but I don't know what they will be, fked up water supply may be? And who knows what idiots will start roaming about in gangs trying to rob my canned tuna. Took me 3 years to consume my supplies and I was bloody glad of them when I had flu & pneumonia.

Also that was the year I got the internet at home and a new pc with a TV card (had no TV for years this was long before streaming, torrents etc).

Oh yeah and Princess Diana was killed and I signed a book of condolence in the hospital chapel. And if ever there was a time to overthrow the monarchy that was it. Very anti-royal feeling at the time. Huge public anger at how QE2 etc reacted. (The Helen Mirren fil The Queen is pretty good on how it was at the time).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always thought Blair looked like a psychopath even before '97. Every one of his appearances sounded like either a bad salesman or someone who kept kids in their freezer. I was told that it wasn't fair to judge people on their appearance even if it sets your fight or flight alarms off. Often by people who took the piss out of Major for looking 'dull'.

That aside I generally remember the time as optimistic. South Africa democratically ended apartheid and voted Mandela in, people were getting ready to sit down and talk peace in NI, the tech sector was booming, we were all going to be a global village and people would voluntarily decide to be less bigoted if you gave them enough freedom.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Did Laura create an AI

Or is Laura the boring product of an AI

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Washing machine creator on whether it will make women 'idle'

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Why is this even posed as a question? Humans are known bores.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
at least you realise

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ginny p = ginsters pasty

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Eurovision, famous for only having English language songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRva0YOVtcI

They make a fair point though, now that there's more native German and French speakers in the EU, the lingua inglese of the EU and similar institutions should probably shift more towards one of those.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

domhal posted:

Was there hope in 1997? Was not old enough then to know much except that some new person was PM with a D:Ream song.

Perhaps media presented it as an exciting time, and may try to do so again, but it's hard to imagine anyone popular hope about the outcome of the next election.

There was a huge amount of optimism about getting rid of the Tories. Michael Portillo became a meme ahead of its time - there was a saying that went round - “were you up for Portillo?” because he lost his safe seat in the middle of the night and pulled lots of amusingly sad faces. There was a genuine widespread belief that Blair was going to set the country on a new course that had largely turned to poo poo by the time 9/11 hosed up the future more broadly

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

the equivalent of 5 months take home pay and a new job a week later.

I find this so hard to even imagine these days, I'd have to work with the same company for 20 years for that to be a thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

SpicePro posted:

I find this so hard to even imagine these days, I'd have to work with the same company for 20 years for that to be a thing.

That was statutory minimum at the time, based on years worked and age.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1657460672291061765

e: I also had hope in 1997 and voted for Blair. There was a lot of hype in the media, and as most people didn't have access to the internet back then, people got sucked up in the tidal wave. I also remembered having similar hope for Claggnuts and voted for him too... The moral of the story is not to have hope. Hope can be a dangerous thing.

Also have some robin tax. I've made a new friend who I try to visit daily.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 13, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/13/membership-of-anti-monarchy-group-republic-almost-doubles-in-wake-of-coronation-arrests

Sorry phone posting so no quotes.

Anyway Republic gets loads of new members and donations since the arrests last week.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That was statutory minimum at the time, based on years worked and age.

I'm interested to know how your age factored in, I imagine you couldn't do that now for discriminatory reasons. Of course it's now just 1 week per year you've worked (unless you have been at the company for less than 2 years and you get nothing lol!).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Eurovision, famous for only having English language songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRva0YOVtcI

They make a fair point though, now that there's more native German and French speakers in the EU, the lingua inglese of the EU and similar institutions should probably shift more towards one of those.

I doubt it, mostly because it benefits everyone who isn't France or Germany for the EU common language to not be French/German. It's the language of mutual effort, where everyone has to put in effort to become a speaker.

We will probably see more of a linguistic drift towards a EU-english than is weird and picks up bits from european languages than the proper English way, but that happened to all our colonies already.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

SpicePro posted:

I'm interested to know how your age factored in, I imagine you couldn't do that now for discriminatory reasons. Of course it's now just 1 week per year you've worked (unless you have been at the company for less than 2 years and you get nothing lol!).

I was under 40 at the time. I think over 40 or it may have been 42 you got 2 weeks for every year over that age.
I can't remember the exact calculation now. It was tax free (hence why equivalent to 5 months take home). Also I said I did not want to work notice (2 months in my job - said I'd rather sit on the sofa and paint my toenails that work another day.) so had that too (also tax free). Should have seen boss face when I got my Union rep to come in to the redundancy meeting (I was management LOL. Mind you the rep looked like a rabbit in headlights too).

People who appealed against the redundancy had appeal time knocked off their redundancy time somehow I can't remember the details. Basically if you appealed you lost money week by week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Euro English owes more to US cultural imperialism than most people in the UK happening to speak it.

It'll be interesting how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Euro English owes more to US cultural imperialism than most people in the UK happening to speak it.

It'll be interesting how that goes.

The cultural victory in Civilisation is no longer "jeans and rock music", it should be Swedish people speaking like they're on an American TV show.