Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's the post on ONE Friday Fights 16, legit top-to-bottom worth your time to watch the whole show
https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-16-2023-05-12

Here's some good finishes though
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1657011819574181888
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1657023457400434691
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1657032417880752130
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1657043607130349571

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Holy poo poo this card is so good. I need to make watching these a Friday ritual. I feel like One has cracked the entertaining fight card secret by having MMA, kickboxing, and Muay Thai all mixed around. Legitimately watch every fight on this video.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Some good news. Mark Coleman is apparently sober after a long time abusing drugs n alcohol.

Apparently liverking has been helping him out with ancestral tenets or some bullshit but hey. I think eating bull penis and taking Winstrol is better than Jack Daniels and cocaine. So good for him.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
UFC should definitely steal the ONE format of mixed, martial arts (including mixed martial arts). There are a lot of entertaining fighters who get buried because they can't wrestle. As an added benefit, the UFC can add a bunch more titles to promote and someone awesome like Edson Barboza or Stephen Thompson could hold a championship belt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

reeg posted:

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/37613472/nine-pfl-fighters-suspended-nevada-state-athletic-commission

Follow-up to the PFL positive tests. Nine fighters suspended, completely loving their "season" setup. lol

One of them was Cezar Mutante, Vitor’s physical specimen of a protege who looked like this:

at middleweight.

And now looks like this at a not-cutting-for-LHW heavyweight:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Posting this partially for others and partially for myself

:siren: Tomorrow's UFC card starts at noon EST/9 AM PST:siren: (Europe enjoy)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, my sleep schedule's all hosed up lately and if I actually manage to stay unconscious I'm not going to be forcing myself out of bed early to make sure I don't miss Bryan Battle, so if no one's gotten to it by showtime someone feel free to throw up a GDT or somesuch.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031895

The dog does not like letting me sleep. GDT is up, fights are starting as we speak.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Checking here if there's a good place to post about https://breakingdown.jp/ - the Mirai Asakura owned fight league that seems to have Sexyama running the 'team Korea' side of things in the latest youtube videos.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'd be interested in watching it, but it's extremely strange format. It says "1 minute 1 round" fights. And I guess they are putting the 8th show on next weekend? Is there a copy of any of the first 7 anywhere?

EDIT: The shows are on Abema PPV and the old ones are behind a paywall still, so like they haven't even unlocked BreakingDown4 from a year ago to watch even though I have Abema Premium and can watch all Krush / RISE / etc. stuff. The Youtube page only has interviews and PVs. What is this promotion?

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 13, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
it's looks like it's mired in various Japanese mafia promotional red tape, but watching Sexyama talking to his fighters really reminded me of Physical 100 which was so much fun

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/AlexPereiraUFC/status/1657492949062565889

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1657416254314135552
I looked up the amateur fighter the broadcast memorialized apparently was the only person to die in a 2 car crash, maybe because she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Also, noticed for the first time the UFC typo team got another decent one in

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dana White, the world's greatest promoter, on promoting fighters.

quote:

“Walker didn’t really wow anybody tonight, but he won,” White said at the UFC Charlotte post-fight press conference. “He was put on the co-main event to kind of shine tonight. He got a ‘W,’ so I guess that’s good.”

“Obviously he’s in there with a very durable, tough guy and a dangerous guy in Smith,” White said. “But Smith got dropped, was hurt in the first round, and then his leg was gone, and Johnny never went for the finish. Never tried to finish the fight. Just tried to fight safe and get the win.”

I look forward to effusive speech about how amazing Mackenzie Dern's performance was next week.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It truly feels like he's trying to make me not give a poo poo about the UFC, it's amazing

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Dana White, the world's greatest promoter, on promoting fighters.

I look forward to effusive speech about how amazing Mackenzie Dern's performance was next week.

Lol what? I always kind of hated Johnny Walker but he actually impressed me last night.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Dana's comments make sense when you remember he just wants to see people get hosed up and created dana white power slap bullshit to watch people get horrible injuries

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

chaleski posted:

It truly feels like he's trying to make me not give a poo poo about the UFC, it's amazing

I mean, yeah. Dana would absolutely prefer if the only fans left were complete sycophants. It seems like one of his favorite things is to tell people to go watch or do something else if they don't like it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/francis_ngannou/status/1657432137124151297
I’m moderately hyped.

It was all noise until the predator clicks, but it occurred to me probably half the fan base is too young to register it?

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 15, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

A pretty well received Predator movie came out recently so it might be in their awareness.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

lol kron is so dumb it almost makes me feel bad to make fun of him

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Trillhouse posted:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the gracies are such a bunch of lame losers

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

:thaoldme:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I can't even type "CITUATION" or "ADIVES" or "COMUINTITY" without my autocorrect screaming at me. I imagine it's got to be the same for Krons phone, so the dude must have brute forced that poo poo.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 15, 2023

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/UpNextFighting/status/1657221776685043717
have a few seconds and want to see a cool fight?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

There’s no way someone advised this seriously, right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My favourite Gracie fact was that one of them, possibly Renzo, who had 9 kids, couldn't come up with another name starting with 'r' for his 10th kid, and so called them 'r10' for a while.

Also, I've met Royce Gracie and can confirm that he's an rear end in a top hat.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

was "rio" already taken? it's right there

also holy moly that twitter fight was a helluva ko

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

was "rio" already taken? it's right there

also holy moly that twitter fight was a helluva ko

He had nine kids, so must likely yes.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The UFC is trying to put together Cory Sandhagen vs Umar Nurmagomedov for the summer. I was going to get mad about rankings but I looked and Henry Cejudo is now the #3 fighter in the division, so.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Wait, a full grown man wrote 'two day' instead of 'today'. I'm flabbergasted. Wasn't he raised in America??

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

My favourite Gracie fact was that one of them, possibly Renzo, who had 9 kids, couldn't come up with another name starting with 'r' for his 10th kid, and so called them 'r10' for a while.

Also, I've met Royce Gracie and can confirm that he's an rear end in a top hat.

I always liked messing with people that sucked off the gracies by pronouncing their names with the R and when corrected would apologise and refer to Helio Gracie as Relio. I also once stitched a sakuraba mask onto my gi for a tournament and got yelled at in portugese by someone's instructor.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

welp

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1658404625576280064

quote:

It’s official.

Francis Ngannou has signed with the PFL.

Per The NY Times, the deal gives Ngannou “equity and leadership roles” in the PFL. He’s expected to fight in the promotion’s super-fight PPV division next year, while competing in boxing this year. The PFL deal is an MMA-only agreement. His boxing plans will be announced at a later time, sources say.

His PFL debut fight (opponent, date) wasn’t announced just yet.

Also, per the Times, Ngannou will become chairman of the newly-launched PFL Africa and will serve on the company’s advisory board “to represent fighter interests.”

Ngannou will be live on the The MMA Hour TODAY at 1 pm et / 10 am pt / 6 pm bst to discuss it all.

Real curious to see what that boxing match winds up being, and real hopeful it doesn't wind up hurting his drawing power before he can start doing something outside of the UFC.

I'm glad he negotiated for things but I gotta be honest, given how half-invested PFL has seemed to be in the PFL Europe initiative, I'm not sure I see a whole lot coming out of PFL Africa. It'd be real cool to wind up being overly pessimistic about it, though. EFC has been proving there's talent in the region for years.

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 16, 2023

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I always liked messing with people that sucked off the gracies by pronouncing their names with the R and when corrected would apologise and refer to Helio Gracie as Relio. I also once stitched a sakuraba mask onto my gi for a tournament and got yelled at in portugese by someone's instructor.

Doing god's work there my friend.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Equity role in PFL
Chairman of PFL Africa
Super-fight PPV back end
Advisory role to board

All things that are worth literally nothing to him and the fighter community as a whole.

Oh well, take what you can get I guess, the real value was him showing it can be done at all, escaping from the UFC.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

Real curious to see what that boxing match winds up being, and real hopeful it doesn't wind up hurting his drawing power before he can start doing something outside of the UFC.

Yeah, I mean presumably he gets smoked by any heavyweight that is an actual boxer? Maybe he’s hoping Tyson Fury will hold him up for 10 rounds so he can get a bag without embarrassing himself? Unless he’s fighting a celebrity, there seems to be a ton of risk for Francis in a boxing match.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

he gets a huge payday to likely get smoked by a real boxer and still gets to go back to murdering the likes of the crochet boss, seems okay.

i do wonder if the benefits for other fighters he was advocating for made it in, and part of me is sad the jones fight will never happen, but cool for francis, glad he got a big deal in spite of the ufc.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

double negative posted:

he gets a huge payday to likely get smoked by a real boxer and still gets to go back to murdering the likes of the crochet boss, seems okay.

i do wonder if the benefits for other fighters he was advocating for made it in, and part of me is sad the jones fight will never happen, but cool for francis, glad he got a big deal in spite of the ufc.

I think I saw that his opponent would get a guaranteed 1mil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

I think the Pauls have shown that you can have a financially lucrative boxing PPV facing a completely washed opponent as long as they have name value, I wouldn't count on Francis necessarily getting whomped