Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ravager, Tempest, and Alchemist are certainly the strongest variants of those heroes. I'd argue Warlock is better than Ritualist though.

Monarch Leper is also underrated. Intimidate is really good giving himself taunt and the target both weak, vulnerable and a bit of damage. In cultist/chapiter boss fights he's pretty much a Tempest Leper with more hp.

Physician feels like worst of both worlds, it's a very wonky path.

Both sharpshooter and rogue are great, yellowhand is nice on paper but the ranged malus really hurts since it greatly diminishes his rank 4 damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I got to the mountain with no trophy and fought the boss, didn't get stopped at the last inn.
It completely took me to pieces, but still.

It was my very first run, maybe it's bugged?

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Were you on the Denial chapter? The trophy requirement doesn't apply on that chapter, only the other 4.

Taear posted:

I got to the mountain with no trophy and fought the boss, didn't get stopped at the last inn.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Taear posted:

Not required in chapter 1

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Warden posted:

When it comes to Lair bosses, the Librarian has consistently been the bane of my existence, with Leviathan being the second hardest. General seems to be the easiest for me, but that is because I mainly only attempt it with a team comp that has two characters capable of hitting ranks 3-4 simultaneously (PD, Occ, Flag)
Harvest child and Librarian are pretty even
General is awful and goes against my playstyle entirely
Leviathan is fun but a coin flip
Pre-1.0 shambler was easy. Sounds like nu-shambler might be harder.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I started using ritualist mostly because I had other heroes I wanted to give hero shrines and I already had vulnerability curse open from 2 shrines before deciding on that comp. That team also had obscene amounts of damage so I don't think the extra offense from high damage burning stars would actually have improved it vs the constant crit/dodge removal + double vulns/weakens.

There is a truly astronomical amount of power locked behind candle metaprog, pets add an extreme amount of value and are guaranteed at the start of every run with no downside, there's a lot of extremely good affinity boosting inn items that make it trivial to wind up with everyone at 20/20 by the end of a run, path'd heroes are just objectively better than wanderer for the equivalent of a 1 candle penalty, combat items/trinket unlocks is a bit more variable in effect but having combat salves available is a huge difference from them not being in the pool. Hell, you can't even get any food better than slime mold generally without RNGing into food unlocks in the inn item pool outside of the occasional flapjack/stew pot run.

Librarian is pretty easy as long as you're not reliant entirely on damage to rank 1/2 for killing things which makes a bad team comp in general I think. Tends to take a while unless you're very high on back rank damage between blind/dodge spam and just generally stresses people out before dying.
General wants you to have some lovely throwable combat items which are mostly locked behind candles, or to have 1-2 heroes that can hit the general and the root at the same time and is pretty harmless if you aren't at risk of getting fully entangled. If you can deal with the taproot and have some form of consistent healing for non tanky people getting hit by the waking dead, it's mostly just a stress healing check after that.
Leviathan really just wants you to have good rank 1/2 damage and can be cheesed pretty hard if you have someone who's highly move resistant to bait the hand. The boss barely does anything if you have the damage to deal with the hand without relying on a single frontliner to handle it.
Harvest child seemed pretty simple, you ignore the meats and mostly just hope that the hunger debuff doesn't mess up your front row action economy too much and having a way to clear bleed is a significant +. By far the easiest of the bosses unless hunger rng really screws you.
I did not fight the shambler or even see it outside of extremely early runs where my unlocks/team comps had no chance to kill it buffed or not.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 12, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

temple posted:

Harvest child and Librarian are pretty even
General is awful and goes against my playstyle entirely
Leviathan is fun but a coin flip
Pre-1.0 shambler was easy. Sounds like nu-shambler might be harder.

It's fun how different experiences are, because Harvest Child has always been much easier than the Librarian for me.

I stand by my assertion that General is the easiest for me, but I'll admit that the team is usually in a pretty bad shape after him, but Librarian has wiped my whole team out multiple times. It might just be due bad luck, since the amount of hp the book stacks have is randomized to be either 15, 30, or 45 hp each. If you get unlucky with that, you might not have enough time to burst him down.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Not required in chapter 1

Ah right cool yes I was

So far I'm not really enjoying myself. I get what they're doing and I know they wanted to do something different but the UI feels like one made for a tablet and it's legitimately driving me absolutely insane. The amount of time I have to hold down on things to get them to select, or the way you click through the screens.
Right click to open my character page? Why!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Warden posted:

It's fun how different experiences are, because Harvest Child has always been much easier than the Librarian for me.

I stand by my assertion that General is the easiest for me, but I'll admit that the team is usually in a pretty bad shape after him, but Librarian has wiped my whole team out multiple times. It might just be due bad luck, since the amount of hp the book stacks have is randomized to be either 15, 30, or 45 hp each. If you get unlucky with that, you might not have enough time to burst him down.

I got extremely unlucky it seemed with the hp spread. I won, with only my man at arms at deaths door (repeatedly) on fire with one health. I’ll take it.

Sad thing it’s the only big boss I’ve successfully killed :v:

I’m kinda meh about the new overall strategic part- it feels like they yanked a few systems from other games which when combined makes it kinda tedious. More so with managing the stagecoach continually. The actual combat and encounters still own tho

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Vs harvest child you can use pull abilities to keep the meats in front of it because it can only use it's strong cleave attack in rank 1.

Similarly, you can push books behind librarian to get him closer without destroying the books themselves.

Leviathans grab goes on move resist so stack it on your tank. It's not so hard if you get 2+ consecutive resists.

Generals trophy will prevent librarians shuffle ability or the meat hunger move.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This game commits the classic metaprogression sin of the 5% defense stat increase. For shame!

I've been peasantly surprised by this game overall. I've seen some complaining before I bought it and I don't think a year long open beta is always the best way to balance a game, but I'm losing a lot of sleep to this game and i wouldn't be mad about getting owned by bosses all the time if I didn't care.

E: what's the trick to jester's ch. 4? If I have to learn the actual notation for this song when I barely know how notes work then jester only has three unlockable skills so far as I'm concerned.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 13, 2023

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Panfilo posted:

Similarly, you can push books behind librarian to get him closer without destroying the books themselves.

Isn't that a bad idea, since he ignites then chains big whoops when he's in first rank ?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

why the gently caress does the sluice have branches if it's always unscouted :psyduck:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

as soon as i figured out to save inn and combat items for the sundering sigh leg of the journey with a team actually built for the fight it was really straight forward

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The problem I have with the sigh is the best strategy is kill it in 5 rounds and there's no wiggle room or alt strategies.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Anyone else getting BSODs with the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT? I've had 3 so far

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Hyped tonight. I had tons of trouble with Resentment starting out, but I killed the Mountain boss to finish the run the first time I got to it. Used MAA/Flagellant/Grave Robber/Plague Doctor. Blighty McBlightface, sometimes known as team Dippin DoTs.

Turns out More! More! is totally incredible when upgraded.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kobal2 posted:

Isn't that a bad idea, since he ignites then chains big whoops when he's in first rank ?

No, he just uses a weak aoe skill "burnout" if he's in rank 1 but books are still present. He only spams Burning Bright if there's no more book piles left.

Xalidur posted:

Hyped tonight. I had tons of trouble with Resentment starting out, but I killed the Mountain boss to finish the run the first time I got to it. Used MAA/Flagellant/Grave Robber/Plague Doctor. Blighty McBlightface, sometimes known as team Dippin DoTs.

I'm learning this too. It's 45% healing total with 3 tokens? Easy to build up when your own attacks can proc it. Fun to activate it, then use Deathless the following turn to heal an ally and pretty much refund your lost hp.

I fought and narrowly beat the death boss, that lady is no slouch and it doesn't help that she pops up right after you finish a battle. Got a trinket that seems great for Flagellant, Deaths Head which heals you to full when you heal off deaths door. If you had deathless or defiant quirks you could be nigh immortal with such a setup lmao.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Got this the other night and enjoying it so far but uh what the gently caress is up with the hellion chapter two skill unlock fight? I find myself with a couple of barbarian bros against four soldier jerks and see that I have a skill that stuns the front two ranks so I figure that seems pretty good and open with it. They both resist. I check their resists and oh they have 100% stun resist. What. Why give me a trap option in the first place? I summon a couple more bros since one went down then next round I go to use my damage skill it's gone from like 8-15 damage when I looked at it on the first round, down to 4-6 or some poo poo. These guys have tons of hit points and it barely scratches them. Then they kill my other bros easily and taunt me to high stress and then my only skill is to run and hide and I lose. What.

e: okay I got a skill anyway so I guess you're supposed to lose and that fight is the hellion's secret shame

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 13, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Wafflecopper posted:

Got this the other night and enjoying it so far but uh what the gently caress is up with the hellion chapter two skill unlock fight? I find myself with a couple of barbarian bros against four soldier jerks and see that I have a skill that stuns the front two ranks so I figure that seems pretty good and open with it. They both resist. I check their resists and oh they have 100% stun resist. What. Why give me a trap option in the first place? I summon a couple more bros since one went down then next round I go to use my damage skill it's gone from like 8-15 damage when I looked at it on the first round, down to 4-6 or some poo poo. These guys have tons of hit points and it barely scratches them. Then they kill my other bros easily and taunt me to high stress and then my only skill is to run and hide and I lose. What.

e: okay I got a skill anyway so I guess you're supposed to lose and that fight is the hellion's secret shame

Some of the memory fights end up with you losing, though not all of them, since they tell the stories of what happened in their pasts. All of them have special mechanics and a lot of them involve not killing things. I think all of them can be figured out pretty easily except Jester's last memory fight.

Panfilo posted:

Got a trinket that seems great for Flagellant, Deaths Head which heals you to full when you heal off deaths door. If you had deathless or defiant quirks you could be nigh immortal with such a setup lmao.

Related to Flag and Trinkets, his unique Trinket Emancipation is goddamn incredible. It's a damage buff if below 20% HP, but that's not the best part. It makes Punish steal one positive token each use, no conditions, no limitations. So if you hit an Evangelist with Block+ and Crit Token, the hit will remove the block and the ability will take the Crit token away and give it to you.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Warden posted:

Some of the memory fights end up with you losing, though not all of them, since they tell the stories of what happened in their pasts. All of them have special mechanics and a lot of them involve not killing things. I think all of them can be figured out pretty easily except Jester's last memory fight.

Yeah I've done quite a few already but this is the first one I've run into that you're supposed to lose so it caught me out. The only one I've actually failed so far is the vestal's one with the torturer where I figured out the thing with the light but got some unlucky rng and couldn't capitalise on it before I died, hopefully I'll get it next try

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Xalidur posted:

Another thing I love about that team comp is that it absolutely eats both the Tangle and the Sprawl's Lair bosses for breakfast, even in your first region.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Warden posted:

I think all of them can be figured out pretty easily except Jester's last memory fight.

I failed this three times and gave up on jester for the night. This can't possibly be as trial-and-error as it feels, but that sure does seem to be the strat. I feel like I'm trying to brute force guess a PIN number.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It's kind of great that the narrator of DD2 is literally relieved if the flagellent goes down, and gives him the sort of eulogy usually reserved for enemies you face.

Nobody likes Damian. Nobody.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Panfilo posted:

No, he just uses a weak aoe skill "burnout" if he's in rank 1 but books are still present. He only spams Burning Bright if there's no more book piles left.

Well holy gently caress, that makes him SO MUCH SIMPLER !

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Randomly got a Breacher Barristan AND a Breacher Audrey at the start of my Act 4 run.

I guess I'm finally trying out Pirouette! :v:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Jetrauben posted:

It's kind of great that the narrator of DD2 is literally relieved if the flagellent goes down, and gives him the sort of eulogy usually reserved for enemies you face.

Nobody likes Damian. Nobody.

Speaking of the Narrator, is it just me or has he barfed his 18th century thesaurus back out ? Might be just an impression, but I seem to have noticed he uses far fewer arcane ten dollar words or fancy-rear end grammar this go around. Pity. I kinda miss inordinate exsanguinations.

(I also miss when Meltdown/Virtue wasn't a binary. I hope they add some variety there, though they probably won't if they haven't after so long in EA.)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ragnar34 posted:

I failed this three times and gave up on jester for the night. This can't possibly be as trial-and-error as it feels, but that sure does seem to be the strat. I feel like I'm trying to brute force guess a PIN number.

You have to use the leeway of the first two rounds to move all the way back. At least that's how I eventually succeeded (and it's thematic with his whole solo mechanic).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd love to have a retry on the shrines, at least one, instead of having to find another one, i just want that grape shot, man

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

man I find the friendship mechanic really annoying
You lose SO MUCH when you meltdown that I've almost always got some skills that increase stress or whatever. I'd be fine if it was like "okay now this skill is a choice to use" but really, I have to use it so I have to deal with it. Rargh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Did breaking down in DD1 also tank your health? I don't think it did, and here it really is a cluster gently caress.

I guess it's because you don't maintain people after runs so picking up afflictions isn't really a problem, but chain meltdowns followed by an AOE is a disaster.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Meltdowns no longer kill people and they are effectively stress heals. The cost is some relationship pips and low health.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did breaking down in DD1 also tank your health? I don't think it did, and here it really is a cluster gently caress.

I guess it's because you don't maintain people after runs so picking up afflictions isn't really a problem, but chain meltdowns followed by an AOE is a disaster.

In DD1, reaching 100 Stress gave you and Affliction, reaching 200 gave you a heart-attack that either dropped you to Death's Door or insta-killed you, bypassing DBR, if you were there already.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I honestly don't mind the health drop, it's the relations drop I hate

Also SURELY there's a way to make the combats faster? I just want it to whip by, where's the speed!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The most common place meltdowns happen is vs the chapter boss fight where it is overall the least negative impact since affinity doesn't matter at that point and if you were already at low health the hp hit doesn't hurt much either.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Panfilo posted:

The most common place meltdowns happen is vs the chapter boss fight where it is overall the least negative impact since affinity doesn't matter at that point and if you were already at low health the hp hit doesn't hurt much either.

I mean, maybe if you're good? It happens for me all the time

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Taear posted:

I honestly don't mind the health drop, it's the relations drop I hate

Also SURELY there's a way to make the combats faster? I just want it to whip by, where's the speed!

I like the combat flow but yeah for a game that's about rinse and repeat the fights take way too long and there's too many of them. The pacing's all screwed

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Taear posted:

I mean, maybe if you're good? It happens for me all the time

Figuring out how to manage the relationships with breakpoints, location choices, inns, and quirks is an important part of the game and part of the depth

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

Figuring out how to manage the relationships with breakpoints, location choices, inns, and quirks is an important part of the game and part of the depth

I preferred it the other way in the first game. I just don't like the randomness of "oh everyone hates the man at arms so now he's got two locked skills and every time you use them something annoying happens"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's not random, it's a consequence of not managing stress and relationships

yes, sometimes you're going to get turbo hosed, but there's a lot you can do to mitigate it

first, do not let your party sit on high stress

doing so will stress and tank relationships with the rest of the party, eventually causing a failure spiral

once anyone is at 4+ stress, they'll start saying nasty poo poo that will harm your party, raising stress and losing relationship points, keep it low

make sure at least one of your party members has something to reduce stress, and prioritize buying stress combat items if you have too many people to maintain below 4

second, there are relationship breakpoints at 8 and 14 - aim for 14, avoid 8 or less - high gives a chance for positive relationships, low negative, avoid negative because the locking in of random moves can hurt you more than the benefits of a positive one

pay attention to route choices, especially if going one way will push any party members above 3 stress

when given a choice at an encounter that has two positive party members and the same negative, pay attention to their relationship with the negative one - whoever you choose will reduce their relationship by 2, so pick the person that won't go to 8 or below

finally, manage your stress and relationships - unlock inn and combat items, max out your carriage equip slots

you can use playing cards, whiskey, whittling tools, pipe weed, etc to raise relationships and lower stress at the inn