Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I still think they should have taken Portnoy leaving as an opportunity to replace James with like, Sebastian Bach or someone similar. That dude can still belt Skid Row songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Systematic Chaos is in the top 10 prog albums for me, but I get that a 25-minute two-parter based on a manhwa western may be too corny for some. The Astonishing goes beyond corniness and straight into the self-aggrandising territory. Their latest, A View from the Top of the World, is uneven, but they clearly tried to bring it back after the whole rear end-tarnishing ordeal. If not super memorable, it's probably the most listenable post-Portnoy album.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I asked my friend which ones he liked and he said The Astonishing was fine. So I'm listening to it right now and... it's a concept album like Metropolis Part 2 but has none of the musicality and charm... so it's nothing?

The 90s were my favorite era of DT so I guess I'll go to A Dramatic Turn of Events instead.

I'll just write down the setlist and check out the tracks I don't know (it's billed as "Top of the World" tour so I guess it's to promote the latest album)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Distance over Time always felt like an apology for The Astonishing in the form of "you guys love Rush, right? good, so do we" and that's kind of endearing to me as a Canadian prog fan even though it has a handful of meh tracks on it.

I had no idea that In the Presence of Enemies was based on a manhwa, that's fuckin awesome. Gonna need to go find a translation of it and read it now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Distance over Time always felt like an apology for The Astonishing in the form of "you guys love Rush, right? good, so do we" and that's kind of endearing to me as a Canadian prog fan even though it has a handful of meh tracks on it.

I had no idea that In the Presence of Enemies was based on a manhwa, that's fuckin awesome. Gonna need to go find a translation of it and read it now.

It's a good comic, just don't watch the movie.

Maybe you'll also be surprised to learn that Forsaken was based on a Russian short horror story by Ivan Turgenev.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The concert was nice, I guess. They played a lot of newer songs and then stuff like 6:00, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and Pull Me Under (which obviously had the biggest reaction). James sounds a lot worse live lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
LaBries voice has gone downhill in last 5 years or so. Real shame.
He was pretty solid around Dramatic turn of the events tour and before.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I do like Systematic Chaos but prefer Black Clouds and Silver Linings, personally. I also rather like A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Maybe I need to give them more playtime, but the self-titled and the two most recent ones are mainly a blur in my mind. Mainly a bunch of unmelodic riffage. I should like the Astonishing on paper, as I like musicals/high concept poo poo, and I also like heavy music. But it's... not that great, is it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The concept is bad and the music is also bad, which are pretty important factors. The comedy level is very high but not worth multiple listens.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My take on post-Octavarium stuff:

Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds are both quite good. Systematic Chaos is probably better if you like something a bit more stripped-down and raw. Black Clouds is probably better if you want something cheesy.

Post-Portnoy, I'd say Dramatic Turn and Distance Over Time are the best of that era, the latest (View From The Top of the World) is solid but unremarkable, and Dream Theater and The Astonishing are janked in different ways - the self-titled album is too much like DT-by-numbers, The Astonishing is an attempt by Dream Theater to not be Dream Theater.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I finally heard ELP's arrangements of Copland's Hoedown and Fanfare for the Common Man. It worked pretty well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I generally just have a huge playlist of Dream theater albums (minus Astonishing and When the Dreams and Day Unite) that I play on random.

My rankings of post-Octavarium:
Systematic Chaos and Self-titled are more of the same Heavy Theater as Octavarium and Train of Thought. Suits me when I want bit heavier theater.
A Dramatic Turn of Events and a View from the Top of The World are more Prog Theater goodness.
Astonishing is crap. There's couple of good songs hidden there, but I'm not listening 2 hours of this.
Distance over Time was mostly forgettable.
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is extra cheesy with cheese on top. Good though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The first time I listened to The Astonishing I was temping in the IT basement of a health authority on contract from my employer and was functionally just filling a desk for two weeks. I had literally no work to do because my actual employer cleared off my schedule for the two week period assuming I was going to be busy as hell and the team I was contracted to just needed the desk occupied and assumed I would have my own actual work to do.

I sat at that desk doing nothing for two weeks straight bored out of my skull and listening to that album was the low point of that contract.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat you guys are brave, I just drive around with a CD copy of I&W singing Learning To Live at the top of my voice whenever it comes on.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 has a nod to the best era of King Crimson :smug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Care to share, as I have no plans on seeing it anytime soon.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I didn’t know if it would work when they all started singing Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With but it was ok!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

fartknocker posted:

Care to share, as I have no plans on seeing it anytime soon.

spoiler-free: in the mid-credits scene a bunch of characters share their favorite Earth artists and King Crimson gets brought up

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Lily Catts posted:

spoiler-free: in the mid-credits scene a bunch of characters share their favorite Earth artists and King Crimson gets brought up

Full quote as spoken by Adam Warlock: "I'm partial to the music of Adrian Belew, both solo and his work with King Crimson."

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Random DT-chat bump, but my problem with their S/T album is that the songs just feel unfinished. I havent listened in a while but more than one of them just seem like they're grooving along and then go "DA! NA NAAAA!" mid-measure and then the track is over.

Plus it has that 26 minute track, which, hey I'm fine with DT doing a 26 minute track but I also feel like 14 of those minutes are just kinda like silence and boring quiet orchestra. When I saw them do it live they just left the stage for the like six minutes of soft orchestra in the middle and a screen showed a shooting star.

Maybe I need to give Distance Over Time another listen but all of their albums since ADToE have just been a "listen once, and cannot recall a single melody or cool moment from it, and never listen again", and this is coming from a Dream Theater superfan

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How in the ever living gently caress did a djent band make it to the Eurovision finals again?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nightmare Cinema posted:

How in the ever living gently caress did a djent band make it to the Eurovision finals again?

I read that as "a decent band" and was nodding sagely for a moment.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The lead singer grew up in Germany watching it. Voyager got 2nd in their national final last year (and won the public vote), and this year were selected without a competition (with a different song, and IMO a better one).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Not a djent guy, but good on them. Hope Leprous will get there someday, they definitely have a Eurovision hit in them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

get steven wilson to write a song for europe

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Paladinus posted:

Not a djent guy, but good on them. Hope Leprous will get there someday, they definitely have a Eurovision hit in them.

Either them or Maraton repping Norway, absolutely.

hexwren posted:

get steven wilson to write a song for europe

It'd probably be an 80's period piece about taking pills in Europa Park or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Steven Wilson is so frustrating sometimes because I love his music so much but he can be such a goddamned blowhard

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Steven Wilson is so frustrating sometimes because I love his music so much but he can be such a goddamned blowhard
He's loosened up since his days of writing iPod diss tracks and Xbox product placements

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Future Bites has that eye-rolling part where it's just a voice listing a bunch of consumer products

you can't make fun of limited-edition box sets when that's like one of the things you're known for doing. I mean you can, but not when you're as self-serious as SW is about it

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 15, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

you can't make fun of limited-edition box sets when that's like one of the things you're known for doing. I mean you can, but not when you're as self-serious as SW is about it
Eh, I really didn't get a "self-serious" vibe off that track. I think he's never considered himself immune to irony, or the contradictions of the human condition, or the tense relationship between art and consumption and capital. John Carpenter did a lot of the same things decades ago; They Live was also a product that was sold for money, right?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

What's the most normie or entry-level dream theatre album? I've listened to bits of pieces of their work and I haven't really found my way into it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

kalel posted:

What's the most normie or entry-level dream theatre album? I've listened to bits of pieces of their work and I haven't really found my way into it

Metropolis, Part 2. It's a concept album, but the story is not that crazy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kalel posted:

Images and Words or Awake.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Images and Words has a lot of their more poppy (I guess? I've heard Pull Me Under, Take the Time and Under a Glass Moon on the dad-rock stations around here before) and standalone songs.

Scenes from a memory (metropolis part 2) is, as mentioned above, a concept album but nothing too deep or strange, but it does lend itself a little more to a full-through listen of the whole album.

Under A Glass Moon is also the best Petrucci solo in any dream theater song :colbert:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've heard Pull Me Under, Take the Time and Under a Glass Moon on the dad-rock stations around here before)

Uh excuse me?

Where the hell is this??

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Metro nj/NYC I've definitely heard them on 107.1 though it may have been a specific dj/show and not regular rotation

89.5 plays them now and then too

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What we used to call dad rock is now grandad rock. Pull Me Under is 30 years old, it's dad rock by definition.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Metro nj/NYC I've definitely heard them on 107.1 though it may have been a specific dj/show and not regular rotation

89.5 plays them now and then too

The Peak? They usually shy away from anything metal, but I am also kind of not surprised?

WSOU of course would, but I always find their censorship standards annoying (having to "reverse" any references to God, Jesus, hell, damnation, prayer, etc.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, the peak. I would consider I&W-era DT closer to like, Kansas or something in the ears of the average listener, than metal. Like I'd definitely not expect to hear any newer DT on there, most of it leans way too heavy.

Also SOU is annoying in a lot of ways (what you mentioned, their tendency to overplay the "big" metal songs/bands, etc.) but I've been listening to them for like 20+ years and always had a soft spot for the super-amateurish college student dj's and stuff.

Also the religious censorship policy is hilariously inconsistent like for a while they couldn't say the full name of the band "Lamb of God" but they could say play their song with the line "walk with me into hell" no issue lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

kalel posted:

If you listened to them and said to yourself “well this kinda sucks and the singer is horrible”, you may be on your way to a dream theater free life.