Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Rescue Toaster posted:

Anyone have particular luck with battery replacements for the newer Subarus that eat batteries? In my case a 2019 Forester, the EFB battery needs to be replaced and I was on the fence about getting another EFB or an AGM. The only EFB's available are from the dealer for a small fortune, or an autozone Duralast Platinum EFB for $250. There's various AGM options since I've heard the Optimas aren't necessarily worth it quality-wise anymore.

People over on the subaruforester forums have strong opinions on replacing the battery with another EFB or switching to AGM so I'm interested in any more pragmatic experiences. Thanks!

When I last replaced the battery in my BRZ I found it was quite a bit cheaper to get a Costco membership and one of their Interstate AGM batteries than an AGM battery from Advance, Autozone, etc (if they even had any in stock). For some reason I can't find a 2019 Forester in their battery finder, but if it takes a group 35 size like it seems a lot of other Subarus do it shouldn't be hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I've owned this car for 17 years. JFC what the hell

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

And your rear wheel arches aren't rusting away to nothing? :monocle:

Seriously, that looks great. Wish the future of my hawkeye was looking that bright.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Post repair report.

Turned out that the radiator was leaking from along the top, so my theory is that either the PO or dealership that I purchased it from dumped stop leak in it and either that caused the headgasket to go, or the HG was already blown as well and neither the PO or dealership wanted to put any money into it before passing it on.

Anyway, replaced radiator, headgaskets, timing belt and tensioner and water pump. Also new head bolts. And an oil change. And new Subaru coolant. I lucked out so much, because with working at a dealership myself, the parts were discounted and the master tech is taking my old Jeep Grand Cherokee as payment for his services!

Seems to be running smoother and quieter now, but I'm willing to concede it could be psychosomatic. Hope everything holds together! Car is pretty good on gas when I'm just commuting back and forth to work and is just as much fun as my motorcycle on the back roads and twisties! May have to visit the Back of the Dragon!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Guys, I don't know who talk to about this. I am bad at cars, my dad is bad at cars and his dad before him just rode the train.

I own a 2021 Outback purchased in October of 2020. It has less than 25k miles on it and I've done the work as it comes time for it. Yesterday when I went to pick my kids up from school, I turned the car off, walked to get them and when we got back, it wouldn't start. I tried to get a couple different jumps, finally called roadside (should've done that in the first place but my sis was in from out of town and she really wanted to see these kids man)

Dude shows up, he manages to jump my car. Says they put this grease on the batteries that are bad for conduction. If he were me I'd go straight to the dealer (all under my 3 miles warranty) It's really bad day for this guys, kids, family, work, etc. I decided to go home and wait a bit. Sure enough an hour later, car doesn't turn on. I call roadside, they sent a tow and took it over. During that time I found what were 2 different recalls but the advisor keeps saying my car is good and there are no recalls. They're picking me up in about 2 hours to get my car back. (Battery change and oil change too since I'm close enough 500 miles till I'm due)

Wish me luck.

also after two years of having this car: I just want my buttons and dials for radio stuff back :(

Oh and the tow guy said their whole day is picking up Outbacks and Jeeps :tinfoil:

IG-88 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 9, 2023

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What's your weather like? Subaru is putting some poo poo-tier batteries in the cars lately.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

It's almost never the cap. Until it is. I've seen it.

It seems to have been the cap. My wallet is $51.61 lighter and I mangled the stupid clip for the teather, but I haven't had any issues since replacement.

By the end, I had to torque the cap whenever I got home or else the lights would come on about 3/4 of the way to work the next morning, I don't miss that at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's your weather like? Subaru is putting some poo poo-tier batteries in the cars lately.

There’s also a starlink parasitic load thing that can happen too. Outbackforums said there’s a parasitic load test that can be done but the first step is to just warranty swap the battery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never had a battery last longer than 3 years on any vehicle I've had.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I've owned this car for 17 years. JFC what the hell

it's hideous

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My wife and I have East Penn flooded batteries in our Subarus (2005 Legacy and 2013 Crosstrek) and they're both about 4.5 years old and still going strong.

I generally have them load tested every spring and fall when I swap the tires out, and once they drop below their rated CCA it'll be time to replace them.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Radiator hose burst today. Oil in overflow tank after getting home with more coolant in the loop.

Wife wants to know why I should pay 5 grand, "for something that could blow up next year," which tbh is something I don't have experience with.

hard to diag this over the internet. but if there is oil in the overflow of your coolant, it's likely a failure of a head gasket or perhaps a more uncommon water block issue which would leak fluids between their seals when it cools. 5 grand goes a long way to another car too. RIP

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Seat Safety Switch posted:

South Florida

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

IG-88 posted:

South Florida

My batteries in FL lasted 5-8 years. Sounds hosed.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a 2018 Crosstrek with about 55k miles. I have a set of winter tires, and the all seasons that came with the car. I think the all-seasons have around 40k miles on them. I'm also planning on doing a two week road trip in the spring, between 2000-3000 miles.

1) Should I plan on replacing the tires before the road trip? How do I know when I should replace them?

2) If I should replace them, any recommendations? I'm in New England, mostly on pavement but occasionally gravel/dirt roads in Vermont. I usually put the snow tires on at the end of November and take them off at the beginning of April. Tires would probably be bought at Costco.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Which bushing(s) makes left/right slop in a 6speed shifter? Is it the cross piece farthest away from the lever?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Generally yeah

https://turninconcepts.com/driveline/tic-06-subaru-shift-linkage-bushings.html

those guys take out a lot of extra play. But are also kind of annoying to get to. You need the right size roll pin punch, have to lower the transmission a bit which puts the exhaust kind of in the way, and you might as well replace the front and rear shift bushings with the kartboy ones while you're at it. You could also replace the shifter but that's another kind of extra process.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 16, 2023

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thanks Jamal. Going back and forth between the new sti and the old legacy...nothing makes a car feel "worn" than a sloppy shifter. Up/down is pretty solid, but in gear, there's a lot of left/right wiggle

The leggy is a spec.b so it has essentially the same 6speed, and pretty sure it has the factory sti short throw in there already.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Harbor freight sells the roll punches. The job is a PITA, but it's not too bad.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
It's about time to replace the brake pads on my 2020 Outback; I'm curious if Subaru OEM pads are perfectly fine, or if there's an aftermarket option I should consider. The car is just a daily family hauler, no performance considerations at all.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The stock pads are fine but will be very pricey compared to aftermarket options.

Power Stop and Raybestos have kits that also include rotors.

Never cheap out on brakes or tires.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Crossposting from the marketplace. When I asked here about lift kits other people were also curious, but no one had an opinion. If anyone is looking to make the leap, lmk

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Selling a 2" lift kit for 2008 - 2021 WRX & STI's. It's the LP Adventure with black powder coat and lift extender (https://lpaventure.com/products/lp-aventure-lift-kit-wrx-2015-2020?variant=43061374681302)

Selling the kit which has been opened but never used for $800 shipped (new from their site is $859 + $50 shipping), or something cheaper if you can do local meetup in the Twin Cities.

I purchased it thinking I would need more ground clearance to deal with Minnesota winter, but ordered too late in the fall and didn't get to installing it before the weather got cold enough that I didn't want to do it. We had an incredibly snowy winter and it was a problem all of one time, so I'm electing not to use it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Munkeylord posted:

hard to diag this over the internet. but if there is oil in the overflow of your coolant, it's likely a failure of a head gasket or perhaps a more uncommon water block issue which would leak fluids between their seals when it cools. 5 grand goes a long way to another car too. RIP

Idk I replaced the radiator, thermostat, and upper hoses. Burped the system a fuckin' lot too, and it's okay right now. We'll see if I can make it through summer or at least to a better time to buy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haha wooooo three P0300 codes on my BRZ. Guess it’s time for new plugs or coils. Hopefully that won’t cost me too much…

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I kind of bought a Subaru. It's ultimately zero sum, since by the time this pile of parts could be vaguely considered a Subaru, the actual Subaru in the driveway will have been converted into scrap.

Future "Subaru"

Future scrap

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Haha wooooo three P0300 codes on my BRZ. Guess it’s time for new plugs or coils. Hopefully that won’t cost me too much…

Figure about $100 per coil and $25 per plug, plus a decent labor charge if you're not doing it yourself because those plugs are a pain in the rear end to get to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It really hurts to think about how awesome the Crosstrek Wilderness would be with a WRX engine and a manual.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DrChu posted:

Figure about $100 per coil and $25 per plug, plus a decent labor charge if you're not doing it yourself because those plugs are a pain in the rear end to get to.

Update on this: turns out there's an ECU technical bulleting for MY17 BRZ 6ATs where very rarely a P0300 code shows up on a cold start because the AFR sometimes differs between cylinders when the coolant temperature is below ten degrees C. So I just have to drive down to the local Subaru dealer and go "lol recall notice, flash my poo poo plz"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

bull3964 posted:

It really hurts to think about how awesome the Crosstrek Wilderness would be with a WRX engine and a manual.

I too was thinking about this the other day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Update on this: turns out there's an ECU technical bulleting for MY17 BRZ 6ATs where very rarely a P0300 code shows up on a cold start because the AFR sometimes differs between cylinders when the coolant temperature is below ten degrees C. So I just have to drive down to the local Subaru dealer and go "lol recall notice, flash my poo poo plz"

A technical bulletin is not a recall. Which means if you want them to perform the TSB service the cost is on you, not them. It's possible they will good will this, but certainly no guarantee.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

We were looking at getting a hybrid Crosstrek, but I guess they only sell them on the west coast. That’s what our local dealership said when my wife asked about them at least. Have they ever said if they plan to expand that?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Funzo posted:

We were looking at getting a hybrid Crosstrek, but I guess they only sell them on the west coast. That’s what our local dealership said when my wife asked about them at least. Have they ever said if they plan to expand that?

If I'm not mistaken they actually discontinued the PHEV version completely :( My wife and I are shopping and she loved the Crosstrek but really had her heart set on some sort of hybrid and, well, yeah.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'll be doing a long road trip this summer, and I'm just before my 60,000 mile service interval. Is it worth it to have the dealer do that service, which includes spark plugs, or should I find a local shop? Dealer is saying $1,139 for:

quote:

Subaru oil & filter change, tire rotation, replace cabin filter, replace engine filter, brake fluid drain & fill, PCV valve replacement, brake inspection, front & rear differential service, replace spark plugs and a multipoint inspection

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'll be doing a long road trip this summer, and I'm just before my 60,000 mile service interval. Is it worth it to have the dealer do that service, which includes spark plugs, or should I find a local shop? Dealer is saying $1,139 for:

no

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

:saddowns:

75k of street and track on a built motor is about all I could hope for I guess, still I would have thought it would have been down on compression before it went through the head gasket. It had studs and a good gasket, maybe I got it too hot.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ooooooffffff I'm sorry. At least Subaru engines are easy to pull.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

:saddowns:

75k of street and track on a built motor is about all I could hope for I guess, still I would have thought it would have been down on compression before it went through the head gasket. It had studs and a good gasket, maybe I got it too hot.
What is that gadget called? I've only ever seen leak tests done with a pressure gauge, that is really cool.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Fifty Three posted:

What is that gadget called? I've only ever seen leak tests done with a pressure gauge, that is really cool.

That is an S-type bubbler/ air trap. I've only ever used them when making wine at home.

From the fluid levels, it looks like your coolant is under negative pressure compared to atmo? With a blown combustion to water jacket headgasket I would expect a positive pressure to atmo, not negative. Weird.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wrar posted:

Ooooooffffff I'm sorry. At least Subaru engines are easy to pull.

Thanks, at least I just got my new garage set up and I am looking forward to a new build anyway.

Fifty Three posted:

RELD Head Gasket Tester Kit Combustion Leak Detector for 50 Tests https://a.co/d/5Gb1q7X

It’s cool, you just drain a little coolant so there is some head space in the cooling system (I didn’t have to since it was low), put a blue liquid in the air trap tube and run the engine. The gases that bubble out through the blue stuff turn it green or yellow if it has exhaust in it.

I think I’ll start a thread about the car and the new engine build.

Bajaha posted:

That is an S-type bubbler/ air trap. I've only ever used them when making wine at home.

From the fluid levels, it looks like your coolant is under negative pressure compared to atmo? With a blown combustion to water jacket headgasket I would expect a positive pressure to atmo, not negative. Weird.

It’s showing negative because I had just shut the car off so it was cooling and the coolant volume was decreasing. Symptoms manifested in a couple small leaks (from the increased coolant pressure), then coolant loss that couldn’t be accounted for from the leaks (it was going out the tailpipe).

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm planning a cross country trip later this summer to pick up a teardrop travel trailer with a 2013 Outback, and I was hoping to get a sanity check on my checklist to get things ready.

Basically the car currently has a hair over 100k miles. At this point I 100% need new brake pads, alternator, and battery at a minimum. But since I'll be tearing stuff apart and am at a big service interval, I figure I might as well shotgun some new parts for other normal wear and tear components. I recently pulled both headlight assemblies and popped new bulbs in every socket, and had a full set of new Michelin X-Tour tires put on there.

My plan from here is to:
  • Purchase and install new Curtis bolt on hitch

• Find a shop to install a trailer brake controller and 7 pin receiver (trailer is 1850 pounds dry & tongue weight is under limit, will confirm everything at cat scale)

Replace/inspect all suspension components:

• Planning new Powerstop Z23 pads and rotors, but not sure if I should get new calipers too or just grease up the pins on the old ones. Will replace brake fluid too. Figure the extra stopping power will be nice peace of mind pulling a trailer through mountains.

• New strut/spring assembly front & rear. Debating higher loaded spring/strut assembly from Rallitek to help towing, but not looking to add a lift or anything with so many other things needing done

• Front and rear wheel bearings (figure it's probably cheaper/easier to buy the whole hub assembly than take it in somewhere to pull the bearing). Is this something to stick with OEM parts on, or are there any recommended aftermarket vendors?

• Unsure what other wear and tear suspension components I should do at 100k. Should I do ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, etc? I've not done cv axles on 4x4 , and my impression is that is something that I should wait till it starts going bad, right?

General service:

• New spark plugs (already have oem plugs for 120k maintenance, figure I'll throw them in now)

• While I'm doing the spark plugs, should I just go ahead and replace the ignition coil pack? When/if I replace that, I should do the wires too, right?

• PCV valve

• Differential oil change

• Fuel filter, engine & cabin air filters

• New Starter

• New battery (already due)

• New alternator (already needed)

Since the alternator needs replaced, should I go ahead and huck in all the stuff on the accessory belt while I've got it apart? Looking at:

• Water Pump

• Accessory Belt

• Tensioner & Idler Pulley

While I'm doing the water pump, figure may as well:

• Take a look at the radiator

• inspect the hoses

• Flush the coolant

• Pop a new thermostat in.

Just trying to think of anything preventative I can do since parts are cheap and running into an issue while towing could be pretty dangerous on top of everything else. Suggestions or anything I missed are greatly appreciated!

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 1, 2023