Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

that's mummy meat op

would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's just not the same without the sarcophagus juice

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

sarcophagau jus :discourse:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's teriyaki style!

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I got some south african drywors off the market today, it's... very very strange, it's like a dessicated sausage except it has big globs of fat in it, I think it's suet? The taste is quite pleasant but the texture is very weird.

Also looks like a really ugly turd unfortunately.

Yeah the lumps of fat work OK in boerewors because they melt down as it cooks and keep it moist, but in droewors they just kind of sit there and coat your mouth in cold grease when you eat it. Much prefer biltong for my dessicated meat snacking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Finally, snack ideas for my human centipede viewing party.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Tasty treats from Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Tasty treats from Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts.
I like to munch them vigorously!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Pork floss roll cake

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Condensed cream of shrimp soup makes its triumphant return!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've absolutely seen worse but... the title at the top says "Mainstays Without Meat" and the recipe explicitly calls for crab meat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
In the 50s, only beef and chicken was meat, i guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mandatory lesbian posted:

In the 50s, only beef and chicken was meat, i guess

Still common in lots of places. Meat means land animal, if you don't want meat you can still have fish.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There weren't a lot of people (in the US anyway) who were vegetarian as a lifestyle choice, but there were a lot of Catholics, and for Friday purposes, fish and seafood don't count as "meat".

It's why the Filet-o-Fish exists, why fish fries are a Wisconsin supper club thing, etc.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Grand Fromage posted:

Still common in lots of places. Meat means land animal, if you don't want meat you can still have fish.

I think things have changed a bit now but back when I first went to Japan in the 90s this was a very common response if you said you were vegetarian

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hallo spacedog posted:

I think things have changed a bit now but back when I first went to Japan in the 90s this was a very common response if you said you were vegetarian

Still extremely common and irritating in non-western Europe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hallo spacedog posted:

Still common, according to my veg friends in Asia.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What did I ever do to Crabby Joe?! I don't deserve this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this is a fish, therefore not meat

this is also a fish

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

uber_stoat posted:

this is also a fish

Right you are

https://twitter.com/SisyphusRedemed/status/1648209446567555072

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

uber_stoat posted:

this is also a fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGK27dSHYu8

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Choose your fighter:

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
On a vacation my family found a can of the Cream of Shrimp in a store. My daughter insisted we buy it.

I have no good idea of what to do with it now.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

A false dilemma. The best course of action is that "fish" should mean a member of Actinopterygii (also known as the "ray-finned fishes"), which includes the animals that most people would typically picture in their head if you said "think of a fish". The problem is that people started labeling lots of other clades as "fish," and thus doomed it to be too broad of a classification. Including either Chondrichthyes (sharks and rays) and/or Actinistia (coelacanths) together with Actinopterygii necessarily also includes all tetrapods (amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals). And if you include "jellyfish", the problem gets way worse.

Just because we colloquially refer to sharks or coelacanths as "fish" doesn't mean they should be biologically considered "fish". People are already used to "technically, jellyfish aren't fish." I think people would accept "technically, the coelacanth isn't a fish" more than they'd accept "technically, you are a fish" or "technically, there's no such thing as a fish."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will be the fish decider, put before me all the beasts of the sea and I shall judge whether or not they are fish. This will be indisputable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JGdmn posted:

On a vacation my family found a can of the Cream of Shrimp in a store. My daughter insisted we buy it.

I have no good idea of what to do with it now.

Lemme tell you about a friend of mine, ol' Crabby Joe

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I will be the fish decider, put before me all the beasts of the sea and I shall judge whether or not they are fish. This will be indisputable.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

OwlFancier posted:

Nice try, cat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninja turtle, not fish

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

A false dilemma. The best course of action is that "fish" should mean a member of Actinopterygii (also known as the "ray-finned fishes"), which includes the animals that most people would typically picture in their head if you said "think of a fish". The problem is that people started labeling lots of other clades as "fish," and thus doomed it to be too broad of a classification. Including either Chondrichthyes (sharks and rays) and/or Actinistia (coelacanths) together with Actinopterygii necessarily also includes all tetrapods (amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals). And if you include "jellyfish", the problem gets way worse.

Just because we colloquially refer to sharks or coelacanths as "fish" doesn't mean they should be biologically considered "fish". People are already used to "technically, jellyfish aren't fish." I think people would accept "technically, the coelacanth isn't a fish" more than they'd accept "technically, you are a fish" or "technically, there's no such thing as a fish."

Biologists shouldn't try to redefine terms that are already in common use, the whole point of inventing a bunch of pseudolatin is so they can say 'Actinopterygii' when they mean 'Actinopterygii', instead of trying to redefine 'fish' to mean 'Actinopterygii'.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Botanists can get hosed. You got it wrong if an "apple" isn't a "fruit." Hang it up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

deciding whether or not something is seafood is a daunting task round these parts

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tunicate posted:

Biologists shouldn't try to redefine terms that are already in common use, the whole point of inventing a bunch of pseudolatin is so they can say 'Actinopterygii' when they mean 'Actinopterygii', instead of trying to redefine 'fish' to mean 'Actinopterygii'.

That's the "technically there's no such thing as a fish" option. I just think that's less useful. When teaching about this stuff, I think it's easier to refine people's natural colloquial conception of what a "fish" is rather than try to get them to abandon it altogether.

Besides, I'm not sure what stake you have in this, Tunicate. This is vertebrate business.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

DontMockMySmock posted:

That's the "technically there's no such thing as a fish" option.
No it isn't. 'Fish' was never a phylogenetic term and treating it as one was always missing the point. There is more than one way to classify things.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Heck yes, fish fight.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Taxonomy's a perfect example of man's hubris.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just got reminded of this. the verdict: eh, all right.
https://twitter.com/bonerhitler/status/1649493288213270562?s=20

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm posting this to get to a page without the loving Gravyfish staring at me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Scarodactyl posted:

Botanists can get hosed. You got it wrong if an "apple" isn't a "fruit." Hang it up.

For most of European history "apple" just meant fruit anyway