Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I hear they have an entire Oracle of Seasons, and that they're better than their counterpart Oracle of Ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

Not everywhere has four seasons I think depending on your latitude. But yes most places not on the equator or the poles have four of them.

This is an old fact from the tv show QI, so I might be misremembering it or they were wrong, but I think a lot of non anglophone countries set the number of seasons at 5 or six or three or something.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Tbh where I live there are no poo poo like at least 9 seasons.

lovely Cold Spring (March)
Perfect Spring (mid April through May)
Good summer (one month only: June)
Hell’s rear end in a top hat summer (July 1st to September 10th)
False Fall (September into October)
Perfect Fall (October)
Fall (November until New Years)
Fake Winter (January)
Winter (February)

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 20:16 on May 13, 2023

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
The joke here is "Winter and Under Construction".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, seasons are actually a human imposition on nature, they don't have a separate existence, any more than there are exactly 7 colors of the rainbow. Isaac Newton just stuck "indigo" in there because 7 is a mystical number.

Like, the equinoxes and soltices are real, but that doesn't mean you have to orient precisely 4 seasons around them, or even that the seasons match them. People in the US routinely complain "that's way too late for Spring, where I am Spring starts in February", or "are you kidding, around here Spring doesn't start till May".

In New Hampshire, it was Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Mud Season. Which lasted at least a month.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They have seasons, we have generations

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Be that as it may I still find the Japanese assertion that only they have 4 PERFECT SEASONS so loving funny every time I hear it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

hallo spacedog posted:

Be that as it may I still find the Japanese assertion that only they have 4 PERFECT SEASONS so loving funny every time I hear it

Oh, totally!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

In Florida there are only ever exactly two seasons, but how those are defined varies. Summer/Winter, Rainy/Dry, Snowbird/Resident, Hurricane/Not Hurricane...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Air Skwirl posted:

This is an old fact from the tv show QI, so I might be misremembering it or they were wrong, but I think a lot of non anglophone countries set the number of seasons at 5 or six or three or something.

Oh sure you could divide the year up however you want, but if the argument is that there are what we would think of as seasonal variations then most parts of the world will find it quite easy to come up with at least four.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
lets fire up those weather machines we allegedly have and invent like 20 new seasons, we'll have the most and best seasons in the world

poo poo if we did have that, can we get like a mini season that makes it warm for halloween so everyone can wear their slutty costumes??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can still wear your slutty costume if you're brave enough.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
God only created two seasons. Duck Season and Rabbit Season.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

You can still wear your slutty costume if you're brave enough.

:hmmyes:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Light Gun Man posted:

lets fire up those weather machines we allegedly have and invent like 20 new seasons, we'll have the most and best seasons in the world

poo poo if we did have that, can we get like a mini season that makes it warm for halloween so everyone can wear their slutty costumes??

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

This is only anecdotal but I have been in a few locations (not in Japan) where a lot of Japanese programing was on TV (like documentaries and news) and there were a lot of subtle usages of language that seemed a little cringe.

Things like “the superior Japanese [thing]” or “because only the Japanese [thing] is truly superior”.

Just lots of usage of “superior” for things like products, foods, or lifestyle, that to me sounded a little yikesaroo.

I am an American and I know there is very similar language that gets thrown around so pot/kettle and all, but even to me it seemed a little overboard.

Is there any truth to this?

Sorry if it isn’t related but I always found it pretty jarring. No I cannot recall exact details this was like 13 years ago.

You're talking about the various NHK World shows, aren't you? I LOVE Japanology and Japan's Top Inventions for the sheer level of "no, you didn't invent that" and "yes, other places have rocks too. They're not a Japan-only thing."

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

RareAcumen posted:

This seems to be a constant thing in algorithm led websites. I wonder why.

People are like this about Reddit comments, since those can effectively be hidden from other users without the poster knowing. Basically any website that shows any kind of "engagement" with posts has a cadre of dogshit users convinced their low numbers can't be due to their dogshit posting but has to be some kind of shadowy conspiracy against them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We Got Us A Bread posted:

You're talking about the various NHK World shows, aren't you? I LOVE Japanology and Japan's Top Inventions for the sheer level of "no, you didn't invent that" and "yes, other places have rocks too. They're not a Japan-only thing."

How does this mesh with the thing about Koreans who cannot believe that humans can survive without eating kimchi?

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My school had a pastor for sex Ed and still taught us the war was about slavery complete with graphic photos of slaver atrocities. Better than Japan, from what I’ve heard

That's an odd thing to learn about in sex ed, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And why did he lick his lips the whole lesson?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vib Rib posted:

God only created two seasons. Duck Season and Rabbit Season.

What about Elmer season?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Dewgy posted:

What about Elmer season?

You know how God created grapes but not wine, so that we may also know the joy of creation?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hallo spacedog posted:

While living in Japan I've had multiple Japanese people tell me that Japan is unique in the world because they have... FOUR DIFFERENT SEASONS in the year. no poo poo

These sound like New Yorkers when it comes to bodegas.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

These sound like New Yorkers when it comes to bodegas.

No, you see, no other city in the world has small stock neighborhood/corner stores that fill the gap for when you need a few odds and ends but don't need/want to commit to full box/grocery store run.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Data Graham posted:

How does this mesh with the thing about Koreans who cannot believe that humans can survive without eating kimchi?

Can you really call it survival without Kimchi?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Somehow Imperial Japan returned.

it's called Daddy America needs more boats to take on China

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Dameius posted:

No, you see, no other city in the world has small stock neighborhood/corner stores that fill the gap for when you need a few odds and ends but don't need/want to commit to full box/grocery store run.

Broke: only NYC has bodegas
Woke: dollar general is a bodega

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

Broke: only NYC has bodegas
Woke: dollar general is a bodega

Bespoke: Bucees is a bodega.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

While living in Japan I've had multiple Japanese people tell me that Japan is unique in the world because they have... FOUR DIFFERENT SEASONS in the year. no poo poo

I’m from the Midwest and grew up with Cicadas screaming all summer, which I didn’t know was a pretty localized phenomenon. I moved to Japan and the first summer I was with some Japanese colleagues and heard cicadas and was like “oh hey, cicadas!” And they were all “oh yes, these are a Japanese insect. We understand that to foreigners they may sound strange, but to us theirs is like the song of summer, it is like music” as though they somehow sounded different to Japanese people.

I was like, “oh yeah, I know, we have them where I’m from”. And they were all “no no no, these are a famous Japanese insect”.

They got a little salty when I was like “yeah I grew up with them too. They don’t sound like music, they’re just screaming bugs”.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Brawnfire posted:

And why did he lick his lips the whole lesson?

Cause he was LL Cool J, duh.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
At least they started reinventing something other than public transport.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

PurpleXVI posted:

At least they started reinventing something other than public transport.

Disruption is monetizing holes in the ground

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

cellar door built into the beach right below the sand dunes: only slightly better choice than below the high tide line

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

It's funny because Japanese historically had 13 seasons, the 4 seasons stuff is super recent (and their seasons are far less distinct than anywhere in Northern Europe)

The "Japan is special" stuff really feels like them buying into the "Japan is so different" Weeb bullshit, particularly from Americans for whom Japan is their first foreign country so everything different there must Japan being weird

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It’s basically 12 months then, so sounds like a translation issue at best. The earth is at four specific points for each “season” so you can call it anything or loving ignore it but that’s all they mean. If it’s 20 thousand years ago and you live on the equator you’ll still notice it, and if you’re at the tip or something it will be a huge aspect of your life.

If god forbid aliens ever dig up our poo poo someday, they could tell their friends about “blueberry season” and “gossip girl seasons” and conclude we were barely hanging on as a species at all. So it’s not really important what the words are.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m from the Midwest and grew up with Cicadas screaming all summer, which I didn’t know was a pretty localized phenomenon. I moved to Japan and the first summer I was with some Japanese colleagues and heard cicadas and was like “oh hey, cicadas!” And they were all “oh yes, these are a Japanese insect. We understand that to foreigners they may sound strange, but to us theirs is like the song of summer, it is like music” as though they somehow sounded different to Japanese people.

I was like, “oh yeah, I know, we have them where I’m from”. And they were all “no no no, these are a famous Japanese insect”.

They got a little salty when I was like “yeah I grew up with them too. They don’t sound like music, they’re just screaming bugs”.

I’ve lived in Michigan all my life, and it never really occurred to me what kind of bird or insect is making which noise that I hear during the spring and summer. I know different species come out different years, and that different species have different songs, but I’ve never registered the soundscape of any year as being different than the previous.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

B33rChiller posted:

cellar door built into the beach right below the sand dunes: only slightly better choice than below the high tide line

Tech bros invent a cellar door but call it cellr dr, ruining the euphony

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh didnt expect techbros(I assume its a techbro, or a bro) to reinvent "(cool) hole in ground"

Also those keep things cool, not cold, if you want cold you have to get natural ice or snow and then bury stuff or still use some sort of tech or science stuff.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Disruption is monetizing holes in the ground

We must not allow a hole in the ground gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Cicadas are not some Midwest only thing, not even the "mid to late summer is just nonstop cicadas freaking the gently caress out" part. The cyclical hatching thing is something that I think got exaggerated by news media not understanding there isn't an appreciable difference and reporting on it because it sounds interesting. It's the entomological equivalent of "super rare strawberry wolf super moon will be visible this Thursday only!!!!!" reports.