Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Looks like copies of Scout are becoming available for preorder, at least in Canada. Haven't seen any since the rush of sales after the SUSD video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

hosting a 6p of Sidereal Confluence tonight, very excited. my group's first play

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

remember to ABTANITEQ, always be trading and negotiating in the elysian quadrant

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Clank looks like a fun game but man it is too ugly for me to ever play. That art is rough.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Every game published by What's Your Game? looks like a fun game but man it is too ugly for me to ever play

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Admiralty Flag posted:

I usually don't like games completely without elements of chance (pipe down, Concordia, I see you), but much worse are games that don't allow a way to mitigate bad luck. Whether it's as elegant as Castles of Burgundy's four different ways to use each die (and one of them being get two workers regardless of what's on the die), simple as Spirit Island's "Draw four powers and keep the one you like best," straightforward as Brass:Birmingham's "Spend an action to get not one but two wild cards," or player-reliant as Orléans's "It's your responsibility to manage what goes into your bag so you can draw what you want out of it," so long as there's a way to reasonably handle it, I'm fine with chance.

Nah, what really chaps my hide are games where going late/last in the turn order is a significant drawback and you don't get adequately compensated for it (I'm looking at you, Great Western Trail, an otherwise great game where I always seem to go fourth, and, no, getting +$3 and being able to start wherever I want doesn't help when the labor pool's been drained of cowboys and craftsmen).

In the tryhard Great Western Trail tournaments, they bid VPs for turn order, and it's pretty common to see 4/2/1/0 as the final VP bids in a four player game. There's a very real imbalance to starting player order, but it's not overwhelming. Most of the time, I see first place win by more than four points.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Then it probably won't trouble you that What's Your Game have gone completely dark on their Madeira kickstarter. They dropped off social media for over a year, and the person they later hired to handle PR has now quit.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

Then it probably won't trouble you that What's Your Game have gone completely dark on their Madeira kickstarter. They dropped off social media for over a year, and the person they later hired to handle PR has now quit.

I thought Clank was Dire Wolf?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I thought Clank was Dire Wolf?

I quoted the post about Clank, changing it to What's Your Game

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fate Accomplice posted:

I quoted the post about Clank, changing it to What's Your Game

Yeah it read as if you were expanding the statement to all of the (same) publisher's games, not to a different publisher.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

armorer posted:

Yeah it read as if you were expanding the statement to all of the (same) publisher's games, not to a different publisher.

not my intention but rereading it I can see that

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

Where's the pr guy's quit notice? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Where's the pr guy's quit notice? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Me neither, but people are discussing it on BGG in the entry for Madeira on the Controversial and Fraudulent Kickstarters list.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

When did they quit?

I was getting email updates from them as recent as April 10 (after silence for a long time) and there were pictures of production boxes.

quote:

Dears,

this is just a quick follow-up after yesterday Update. It was great to receive immediate multiple feedbacks from your side, almost all useful to me explaining the inconvenience of a direct shipping ... your prompt participation proves we are all alive and kicking …and really care of it, of course.

My bad, yes, my bad, during my last exchange by video call on Sunday with WYG? (I was in hurry to rush to my family Easter dinner) I’ve scrambled a few but very important details and definitely wrongly reported them on the update the day after…

WYG? today confirmed to me: shipments will be “Customs friendly” thru fulfillment centers (hence Backers shouldn't be asked to cover surcharges ... the idea to put Backers in condition to face Customs duties was never there...).

I'm really sorry for having brought big confusion with my last communication.

Plan is still to ship in May the wave1 Deluxe.

TZ

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

If you're still interested in picking up Unfathomable and/or L5R and/or whatever else I have, please come by the SA Mart thread. Somebody got Wingspan.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’ll be looking to clear out some games soon too. Final Girl, Dungeon Lords, Seasons, Inhuman Conditions. I may end up just doing a local sale for most of it tho as it’s hard to make it worth it for both partners with shipping costs

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ixp5VozIs

I'm like 17 minutes in and these dicerolls are just insane

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm so sad that they closed out the Blood on the Clocktower season. Did they announce the next season? There's nothing even close to it anywhere on YT, for BotC and it's nearly the only content I watch from them.

Bun-hair with the goatee needs to stop monologuing and every single person has got to begin never mentioning that they're tired, and it's perfect.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm so sad that they closed out the Blood on the Clocktower season. Did they announce the next season? There's nothing even close to it anywhere on YT, for BotC and it's nearly the only content I watch from them.

Bun-hair with the goatee needs to stop monologuing and every single person has got to begin never mentioning that they're tired, and it's perfect.

Season Two is currently running on Kickstarter; will have new official roles for each episode that gets made.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/norollsbarred/season-2-nrb-plays-blood-on-the-clocktower-live

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Finally got around to playing a full three-game round of Coffee Roaster. When this game first game around, I wasn't sure about it visually but now I find the Saashi & Saashi treatment incredibly charming.

I'm not a coffee snob, but it's surprising how well the bag-building matches the theme; being unable to directly see what's happening and drawing out a sample from the bag/drum. The slow increase of heat where you draw more and more each round, bringing the roast closer and closer to burning is also fairly thematic for what it is. Moisture is super weird; you draw it and it disappears. When drawn in the roast it is not replaced, essentially acting as a brake slowing things down but once it's gone it will roast faster which is also fairly thematic. On the other hand, the flavor token abilities are not super thematic, but feel opportunistic. "I drew a 3 and 4 on the crack round but thankfully I drew an acidity to preserve them" etc. Since one maintains, one splits and one merges, you feel like 2/3s of the flavor tokens can get you out of any jam, which is a reasonably satisfying number though the later coffee cultivars have like 40 tokens so each individual token means a bit less.

Scoring is interestingly diverse too; the criteria for each are just a bit different. For roast level, you're trying to get as close to a certain number as possible rather than passing a 'finish line' so you could overroast your beans and gain fewer points. Flavor is just the presence of the flavor tokens in your final cup, and duplicates don't help so you want to use enough of those during the game to reduce how many you draw at the end to a desired level. You also get points if you show the skill to have three or more beans of the same value in your final cup, which is both fairly thematic since you'd want an even roast but I think it is also there to encourage you to take the risk of discarding beans even if they are not negative. The end is a very brief push-your-luck game, but the single-use abilities add a tinge of that throughout. "I drew 2 hard beans and 1 bad bean, do I discard those or wait until after the first crack to try and remove more smoke?"

At first, I worried that replacing every bean every turn would be annoying, especially since it'd be more efficient to only replace some: If you have four 0s and three 1s, you can just ditch the zeroes and grab one 1 and three 2s, but honestly I find it easier and faster to simply pull everything out every time. Messing with the bits is part of the point, honestly.

Among my solo games, it certainly isn't as excellent as Under Falling Skies but it's also way more chill.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spiteski posted:

I second the opinion that Anno is a great board game. It's completely different to the computer game in all but name imho, but it's a great euro that plays pretty quickly with lots of fun n friendlyolish interaction ("who's got cotton? Have my gold!")

If you had to pay for your trades it would be a very different game.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea I guess "have some gold!" Is the more accurate thing, but you get what I mean

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frank Heeren of Feuerland Games has confirmed that A Feast For Odin: The Danes will be out this year. Probably a Spiel release.

It's also now a standalone game that is compatible with the original. With that in mind, the long term plan for the "Longship Edition" has been dropped and a revised 2nd Edition of AFFO is also coming this year. This will combine the base game and The Norwegians and will have a new action board for 1-2 players with modified solo rules.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Hm...

I have everything from aFfO, with a 3D Inlay, all in the base game box... Let's see how many changes there will be in the revised edition. I really don't want to buy everything again.

Danes as a stand alone game sounds interesting, I like the idea of nat having to add much more to the game as it is now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Hm...

I have everything from aFfO, with a 3D Inlay, all in the base game box... Let's see how many changes there will be in the revised edition. I really don't want to buy everything again.

Danes as a stand alone game sounds interesting, I like the idea of nat having to add much more to the game as it is now.

The big change for The Danes (and The Swedes, which is I think now an expansion for The Danes) is that the islands have been replaced by kaupangs and there's a good dozen of them. So it looks like colonisation may be more important.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I held off getting AFFO previously specifically because I was waiting for a revised or big box edition and now I still have to choose between two different games, I am appalled.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

The big change for The Danes (and The Swedes, which is I think now an expansion for The Danes) is that the islands have been replaced by kaupangs and there's a good dozen of them. So it looks like colonisation may be more important.

Thanks.

I will get the Danes and kaupangs instead of islands sounds interesting.

Any more infos about the revised edition, besides the new action board? I think most of it will be changed occupation cards, right? Don't see any other point in changing anthing else imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Thanks.

I will get the Danes and kaupangs instead of islands sounds interesting.

Any more infos about the revised edition, besides the new action board? I think most of it will be changed occupation cards, right? Don't see any other point in changing anthing else imo.

Gernot Kopke has a series of Developer Diaries on BGG in the AFFO forums. Uwe Rosenberg isn't involved in the design - he's credited as the creator, but Gernot is doing all the work on expansions. That includes The Norwegians, so at least you know he's good at it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Frank Heeren of Feuerland Games has confirmed that A Feast For Odin: The Danes will be out this year. Probably a Spiel release.

Yeah right

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

It's also now a standalone game that is compatible with the original. With that in mind, the long term plan for the "Longship Edition" has been dropped and a revised 2nd Edition of AFFO is also coming this year. This will combine the base game and The Norwegians and will have a new action board for 1-2 players with modified solo rules.

I have some MIXED EMOTIONS about this :( Hope any of the 2nd edition stuff can be acquired/applied to first editions easily.

BoardGameBliss in Canuckistan has a spring sale thing going on. I am eyeing up 1824 but it looks like it's more Double O chrome insanity, similar to 44/54. Can any 18xx engineers give me their thoughts on it? Also Horseless Carriage is on sale, which is mighty tempting...

VVVV I try not to think about it so when it actually starts fulfilling it'll be a pleasant surprise.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Man I wish 1889 was close to fulfillment

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
1824 is alright, and not actually all that fussy compared to other OO titles, the most interesting thing about it is that there are two separate train rosters, but only one of them actually advances the game, and also older trains can be upgraded to the next train rank up once available. It's been a while since I last played it but it tends to a rather nasty train rush.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jedit posted:

This is very exciting to me, as someone who has intended to buy AFFO for a long time now but not done so yet. It means I can continue to not buy it for a while longer!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dammit I just recently got a copy of base + norwegians and printed an organizer for it!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spiteski posted:

Dammit I just recently got a copy of base + norwegians and printed an organizer for it!

Big AFfO has been lying about further releases for like 6 years, don't sweat it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Spiteski posted:

That's cool as hell and will continue to be cool after whatever it is they're making comes out.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

an actual dog posted:

That's cool as hell and will continue to be cool after whatever it is they're making comes out.

Yea that's more than fair. I've already got a dozen plays of it so it's already made itself worth it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

Gernot Kopke has a series of Developer Diaries on BGG in the AFFO forums. Uwe Rosenberg isn't involved in the design - he's credited as the creator, but Gernot is doing all the work on expansions. That includes The Norwegians, so at least you know he's good at it.

Yeah, AFFO strikes me as a very expandable game, with plenty of things you can tinker around with in small ways without needing to overhaul the core concept. I'm glad it got somebody else excited enough to drive the expansions.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Random post apropos of nothing but I played Brass:Birmingham this weekend at a meetup with two others: one who had played twice before and one who had watched Rodney Smith's video. I usually volunteer for the "novice table" at Brum meetups because I'm usually pretty good on the teach (not this week though; I was mushmouthed and confused, but the guy had really paid attention to the video and asked sharp questions) and I don't mind bringing new people into the game.

I'm not a total pro, probably played 15times total or so, but I've got some experience, so I usually also try to do something new and/or suboptimal in these games. Especially in 4P, I often follow a strong cotton strategy, even with suboptimal cards. This time, I did a mixed cotton/box strat, but I tried something new: developing away my level 1 breweries for board presence in the Rail era. Mixed results; I built one in Uttoxeter (got lucky on that card) and followed that up immediately in Rail with a second Uttoxeter brewery using an industry card, which was nice, but I literally ran out of breweries to build so I couldn't do as many double rails as I wanted.

Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping close track of points so it turned out to be a curbstomp. But at least I can console myself that I demonstrated the importance of link points and the value of having level 2+ industries on the board at the end of the Canal era (I had at least six tiles out, and only one was a level 1). Both players enjoyed it a lot, even if I accidentally dealt myself an extra card at the beginning of the game (sticky sleeves); that was OK, because as soon as we packed the game up and I had the box banded, a player stood up and one of her level 3 coal mines fell onto the floor.

The totally new player said, "I can see why this game is #1 on BGG," and to no surprise I found myself in agreement. It's one of my three favorite games, along with Spirit Island and Dune:Imperium (I count Cosmic Encounter as an experience generator rather than a boardgame). What a magnificent game it is! When we occasionally play Age of Industry, I find myself wishing we were playing Brass:Birmingham; the one time I've played Brass:Lancashire, I was wishing it was Brum instead. It's just such a wonderful game, the right combination of tightness and tension with just enough slack so that it's not miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is the Steam version of Brass:Birm any good? The mixed rating has me spooked and the implementations can be VERY hit or miss.