Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

8 bit theatre for life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:nws: I guess: https://i.imgur.com/Gp1Fc3h.png

but the interesting part is

"Im skating, come get me. BR, Pet?" (Probably Pete)

Such disrespect for old comics. Something I was certainly guilty of as a kid. I would've loving wiped on a "Mafia" comic book because it wasn't Vihreä mies Hulk or Ryhmä-X.

e: I've got so many coverless issues of Tex Willer, because I tore them off to make my bicycle go BRRRRRRRRR.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you ever have a complaint about Marvel or DC's oline comics setup, just remember that it's not this.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1656155384531374080?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

If you ever have a complaint about Marvel or DC's oline comics setup, just remember that it's not this.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1656155384531374080?s=20

Publisher: "Why do people keep pirating our stuff? :qq:"

Also Publisher: "Let's combine all of the most abusive, user hostile practices into one monstrous whole."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is this digital comics but make it gatcha?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Meanwhile, Viz Media has introduced another subscription service in the same vein as Shonen Jump. Just $1.99 a month for 100 chapters a day with a lot of classic and new stuff.

I've been reading an old horror manga called Cat Eyed Boy where the titular boy travels around and gets involved in supernatural situations. It's by the same creator as Drifting Classroom (which is also on the new service)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just go to the comic book store and buy the albums I want. It's pretty handy.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every day I feel better about my thing for physical comics. Just got the last 11 Dorohedoro books and a bunch of Strontium Dogs for 50% off

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Every day I feel better about my thing for physical comics. Just got the last 11 Dorohedoro books and a bunch of Strontium Dogs for 50% off

I usually go in on payday (unless I'm buying for someone else as a present) and buy two or three albums. I don't know how much a subscription to something would cost so I can't do a cost comparison :shrug: When I die I'm pretty sure someone younger will read them at least once, and nowadays I keep everything in decent nick so they can sell it off. e: or I can, when I get old.

I know it's not like a great gift to posterity but it also doesn't suck.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Getting the latest audiocomics on vinyl

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

site posted:

I didn't know such a thing existed. But according to Google it's some perverthorny thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you like skateboarding or historically accurate Victorian maid uniforms, I have excellent news.

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1656618034902061058?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Collecting question, what do you guys recommended for protecting books out on display? I'm setting up the wall in my office to display my graded books along with some other key ones, I figure the standard bags they're in don't have UV protection and are fairly flimsy

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

site posted:

Finally, time for a Nexus revival!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Picked up a 3.0-1.8 copy of Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #5 for $15. Happy with this find. Probably a $30-40 book in this condition or closer to $50 if graded and bought from a proper comic shop. Gorgeous Kirby art. Will go into the collection.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 12, 2023

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

muscles like this! posted:

Meanwhile, Viz Media has introduced another subscription service in the same vein as Shonen Jump. Just $1.99 a month for 100 chapters a day with a lot of classic and new stuff.

I've been reading an old horror manga called Cat Eyed Boy where the titular boy travels around and gets involved in supernatural situations. It's by the same creator as Drifting Classroom (which is also on the new service)

Oh, rad. I want to become more conversant with manga and I like Shonen Jump's platform, I just don't think shonen is for me. I'm assuming this has a wider spread of genres?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its got a lot of horror and shojo manga. Like if you ever wanted to read everything from Rumiko Takahashi they've got it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Having gotten a little worn out by shonen manga, Madison Ikkoku is a delight.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh, rad. I want to become more conversant with manga and I like Shonen Jump's platform, I just don't think shonen is for me. I'm assuming this has a wider spread of genres?

There’s a large selection of different genres. There’s also stuff that’s published in Shonen Sunday, which is technically Shonen because that’s the demographic the magazine is primarily aiming for, but has a whole different feel than what’s published in Shonen Jump.

I really recommend Cross Game and Frieren: Beyond Journey’s end as examples of manga that are technically shonen but are very different from something like Naruto

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E: wrong thread

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/comixace/status/1658891236973899776?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

The Eisner nominations have been announced! What comic do you think was snubbed? Why does Tom King have so many nominations? Why can’t the Eisners find better webcomics than Lore Olympus?

I think Look Back should have been nominated for Best Oneshot. It’s a phenomenal comic.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
MJ & Black Cat: Beyond got nominated for best single issue, that's quite nice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Congrats, I just read that and it was really good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a read order anywhere for the Radiant Black stuff? The Reddit sub doesn't really have a good one, shockingly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

Is there a read order anywhere for the Radiant Black stuff? The Reddit sub doesn't really have a good one, shockingly.

I read a bit of it going off publication dates for the TPBs from Amazon, that worked fine. I only got, like three trades deep into RB and the first one of each other series, which was what was available at the time though. I don't know how well it holds up with the content that has been released since then.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 18, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Picked up 3 issues of Machine Man today. :)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got the complete Diceman signed by Pat Mills, I’ve never actually played a choose your own adventure but it seems like it might be a good time? It’s certainly very interesting especially the Reagan CYOA at the end which constitutes a rare glimpse into Mills’s politics and capacity for satire not occluded by the necessity of allegory in his scifi/fantasy writing. I’ve also got the Flintstones hardback collection coming today which I am pretty stoked about and finally got my hands on the last two LWAC books.

Unfortunately I also recently got laid off from my job very suddenly and cruelly so I won’t be buying any more books for the foreseeable future

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Sorry for the loss of you job! I hope you can find one soon!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Tom King got an Eisner with Ace the Bat Hound, you got this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1660731807883579394?t=xd7YQe7gxcU-ovKF3Snidg&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamnit it’s going to be one of those stupid 100 dollar hardcovers. Why do they keep making those? Who keeps buying them?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I have only the vaguest memories of this comic, but I feel like this is the bullshit I need right now.
But I have always been a fan of space, knights, spaceknights, and read only memory.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit it’s going to be one of those stupid 100 dollar hardcovers. Why do they keep making those? Who keeps buying them?

I got $100 hardcovers of all the things I enjoyed as a teenager and almost completely stopped caring about hardcovers since then.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't know who buys them, but they're usually a precursor to releasing the same stuff in paperback and on Marvel Unlimited.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I buy them for things I really love.

I don't think I'd buy a ROM hardcover.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Aaaand, I just bought a $75 Hellblazer hardcover. But it's for a bday gift.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i used to collect some of those big omnibus editions but i stopped when i realize that 90% of the time they're a huge pain in the rear end to actually read

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Aaaand, I just bought a $75 Hellblazer hardcover. But it's for a bday gift.

Ennis?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, thanks for the rec. :cheers: And I put most of the others in my wishlist for future gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Yeah, thanks for the rec. :cheers: And I put most of the others in my wishlist for future gifts.

Steve Dillon could draw anything you can imagine except a different face.