Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I watched the new one, something to do with caterpillars?

Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the one from a few weeks ago, Homer shits on a pop star with a rabid following because her fans ruined an Isotopes game with one of those coordinated crowd stunts where everyone holds up placards to spell something in the stands. The fandom terrorizes him (Lisa is secretly in this group) but he's eventually kidnapped and brought to meet a different pop star who has a feud with the first one (she tells Homer "the frienemy of my frienemy is my enefriend").

Bart joins Lisa's group (Billy Eichner is one of the other kids and gives a truly horrible voice performance without even sounding like his usual grating self) by offering her all his best prank ideas in exchange for the manpower to finally pull them off, but they're foiled by the rival fan army. This kicks off a town-wide fan war that makes a big mess that Marge condemns on the news. Lisa's pop star sees Marge's segment and invites her for dinner, where she gets Marge drunk and pumps for her embarrassing information about Homer, which she then uses for a music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MhVdaC9g_E

Homer's pop star helps him make a music video about how much his family hurt him. It's absolutely dreadful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhuTzZBnkE

The family makes up.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
You think the actors ever get their scripts and go, "goddamnit, more singing"

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

has mr beast been on the simpsons yet?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Capital Letdown posted:

How does this show even generate enough revenue to pay all the voice actors so much per episode still

I actually can’t understand the business rationale behind it. I definitely believe it is somehow profitable on a per season basis, other Disney/Fox wouldn’t commission more, but I don’t get how.

Does primetime advertising revenue on linear TV offset the production costs?

To the point on branding/licensing revenue: there is no way any meaningful amount of revenue is generated from characters/plots that are exclusive to the new stuff.

I also can’t imagine NEW SIMPSONS can be attributed with any incremental Disney+ subscription revenue. (We’ll never see it, but I’d love to see the Disney+ data on % of streams by season.)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

PostNouveau posted:

(she tells Homer "the frienemy of my frienemy is my enefriend")

this made me snort

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

spaceblancmange posted:

has mr beast been on the simpsons yet?

I think he’s too much of a decent person to do that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably the same people still watching zombie Simpsons as Ted Lasso, Yellowstone, The Good Doctor, those shows you never hear about on the internet til a meme goes around. Boomers and basic bitches, probably. How much they actually pay attention to what's in front of them is a good question.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Simpsons hasn't been a show for decades, it's been Brand®. Asking how the episodes are profitable is like asking how Mickey mouse shorts make money in 2023 - they don't, but that's not what they're meant to do

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
They are brands owned by a profit-seeking enterprise. What are they meant to do if not make more money than they cost, either directly or indirectly?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I am on vacation in Spain and a recent Simpsons was on TV in Spanish. Spanish Homer sounds nothing like American Homer, but Carl was pretty spot on and Marge sounded more like Marge than Julie Kavner does now

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Halisnacks posted:

They are brands owned by a profit-seeking enterprise. What are they meant to do if not make more money than they cost, either directly or indirectly?

Indirectly, new episodes are advertising for all things Simpsons, regardless of whether the episodes themselves are any good. Hell, even us here talking about how much the show sucks gets a few people watching the old episodes from the good years, and that suits Disney just fine. New lovely episodes keep that conversation going.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Dacap posted:

I am on vacation in Spain and a recent Simpsons was on TV in Spanish. Spanish Homer sounds nothing like American Homer, but Carl was pretty spot on and Marge sounded more like Marge than Julie Kavner does now

That reminds me of a very dark period in the 90s during the golden years of The Simpsons, when the Swedish TV channel who had the rights decided to dub new episodes with Swedish actors. It was riiidiculous. You recognized the freakin voice actors from stuff like Duck Tales. Homer didn’t say “D’oh!,” he said something like “Oh!”

It only lasted for a few weeks, then they went back to airing the original voices.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Has modern Simpsons ever done a callback to Bart speaking French?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Has modern Simpsons ever done a callback to Bart speaking French?

The Brazil episode had a gag where Bart learned Spanish on the flight over only to be told they speak Portuguese.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Brazil episode had a gag where Bart learned Spanish on the flight over only to be told they speak Portuguese.

To be fair, knowing both Spanish and French would probably allow you to muddle through Portuguese pretty well.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

That reminds me of a very dark period in the 90s during the golden years of The Simpsons, when the Swedish TV channel who had the rights decided to dub new episodes with Swedish actors. It was riiidiculous. You recognized the freakin voice actors from stuff like Duck Tales. Homer didn’t say “D’oh!,” he said something like “Oh!”

It only lasted for a few weeks, then they went back to airing the original voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvaMKyEd26k&t=14s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There is actually a fairly consistent running gag that Homer and Bart have an inexplicable knack for languages.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MhVdaC9g_E

Homer's pop star helps him make a music video about how much his family hurt him. It's absolutely dreadful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhuTzZBnkE

The family makes up.

Woof. The view count on these videos are thankfully low enough that at least it's not some massive cultural phenomenon level stain on our culture, but the supportive comments sure are something.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Edit: nevermind. Forgot to post the link and then lost the link :eng99:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 14, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Von Pluring posted:

They did that in Iceland for one (1) episode.

Wasn't even that bad of a dub but just felt wrong.

Only but I remember is that they localized a dig at Fox to be about the company that owned the station that aired the Simpsons.

Ok it was a lot worse than I remembered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhsb8F9b0wI

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That doesn’t seem bad at all tbh, in fact it sounds really close to the American voices

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Indirectly, new episodes are advertising for all things Simpsons, regardless of whether the episodes themselves are any good. Hell, even us here talking about how much the show sucks gets a few people watching the old episodes from the good years, and that suits Disney just fine. New lovely episodes keep that conversation going.

So, I figure this must be true otherwise why would Disney keep the series alive. But creating a full 20+ episode season still seems like an expensive advertising method to me. Surely they can whip together some short videos or highly abridged mini-seasons to “keep that conversation going”.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We've probably discussed this before, but another aspect is that a lot of people just put it on as familiar background noise and if they catch a chuckle or two out of it, that's good enough for them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So 50 years from now there will be just an ASMR Simpsons channel of the characters reciting AI-generated random text, for people to put on like muzak

Not unlike that one couch gag by Don Hertzfeldt

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you forgot the part where they also say YOURNAME so youre invested in the story/skinnerbox.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Homer Simpson Soft Spoken | Eating Noises | Ear-to-Ear | Binaural ASMR

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is actually a fairly consistent running gag that Homer and Bart have an inexplicable knack for languages.

It didn’t come up much but Hank on King of the Hill would sometimes demonstrate a knack for picking up Laotian or Spanish, hinting at an untapped talent he had no interest in as it isn’t propane or football.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The ai generated steamed hams twitch channel was ahead of its time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It didn’t come up much but Hank on King of the Hill would sometimes demonstrate a knack for picking up Laotian or Spanish, hinting at an untapped talent he had no interest in as it isn’t propane or football.

They do regularly watch at least one Spanish language show iirc, between that and general proximity it's not surprising to pick up a bit of it. Early on Peggy would actually admit her Spanish is amateur, at least in the episode where she gets a job at Alamo Beer.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Lol, yeah that's pretty much it. Plus having an American family speak Swedish is just absurd. The network must have thought that animation equals kid's show, since that's the only thing that ever gets dubbed in Sweden.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
That voice artist really taught me a lot about their native Estonia.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a broiled ox penis

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/blujayzstuff/status/1657493280030859264?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

No squash, nor stretch for all that movement. Homer's fat is absolutely rigid.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the angel is so dull. Just flat straight on.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That marge voice genuinely unnerved me

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But it has shadows! And it has frames! The drawings are always on model and line thicknesses stay the same for everything so that means it's extra correct!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Homer's voice perfectly level and unmoving like a prop supported above his head. Incredible animation superior to the old days for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

These are people for whom original-run Family Guy is classic hand animation