Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I live on the edge baby.

But yeah, a bucket would work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It will at least be a fun call to the insurance company if you somehow gently caress it up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well then, bucket it is!!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We just use a garden hose into the bilge... :sweatdrop:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hey goons I have a question. I had my boat hauled and the bottom painted and the paint failed to adhere. The yard has admitted fault and said they'd haul and repaint it. However, they keep postponing the haul date for some reason or other.

At what point do I get insurance involved? What goes into that? My hull is steel and I'm in salt water so having paint falling off is going to lead to real physical damage that must be repaired, so I'm pretty concerned about it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Big Taint posted:

All boats are sinking, some a little faster than others.

Vot are ze sinking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUsVcYhERY

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Karma Comedian posted:

Hey goons I have a question. I had my boat hauled and the bottom painted and the paint failed to adhere. The yard has admitted fault and said they'd haul and repaint it. However, they keep postponing the haul date for some reason or other.

At what point do I get insurance involved? What goes into that? My hull is steel and I'm in salt water so having paint falling off is going to lead to real physical damage that must be repaired, so I'm pretty concerned about it.

Are we talking they put it off for days, weeks or months? Also, is it just the top coat failing to adhere or the primer layer too?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I used the hand held/operated bilge pump. poo poo worked.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd say they owe you a repaint within 6 weeks and that's being very charitable to them. Yards this time of year are doing gangbusters business getting everyone ready for the summer season and they're probably booked solid with new orders. Hauling and painting a 40' boat this time of year is an easy $4000 loss but they do owe you a timely repair

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

Are we talking they put it off for days, weeks or months? Also, is it just the top coat failing to adhere or the primer layer too?

Pushing from weeks into months at this point. I basically feel like this:

Hadlock posted:

I'd say they owe you a repaint within 6 weeks and that's being very charitable to them. Yards this time of year are doing gangbusters business getting everyone ready for the summer season and they're probably booked solid with new orders. Hauling and painting a 40' boat this time of year is an easy $4000 loss but they do owe you a timely repair

and I've been trying to work with them directly myself but at this point I'm getting tired of chasing it down alone and just want my boat done and done right.

I'm throwing half brained ideas around about filing an insurance claim or having another yard do it and sending them the bill or so on. Realistically I'm feeling like I should call my insurance company and let them deal with it but I'm not sure if that is really the right way to go

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Karma Comedian posted:

Pushing from weeks into months at this point. I basically feel like this:

and I've been trying to work with them directly myself but at this point I'm getting tired of chasing it down alone and just want my boat done and done right.

I'm throwing half brained ideas around about filing an insurance claim or having another yard do it and sending them the bill or so on. Realistically I'm feeling like I should call my insurance company and let them deal with it but I'm not sure if that is really the right way to go

Get a lawyer to write them a very nice letter saying that they need to get to you yesterday, and also pay his fee for writing the letter.

Maybe not the right path? I dunno, but seems like if you want to get anything done these days you have to pay a lawyer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe as a step before lawyer, move to writing, send them an email and outline of the problem and state in the email you're doing this in writing so you can start a written record of the issue. That ought to get their attention

My experience with dodgy boat people is they prefer to do everything over the phone, which leaves no paper trail. I would send emails to my boat sales guy and he would always leave me a voicemail or text me back

Boat yards are in short supply, I'd hesitate to get a lawyer involved too fast, you don't want to get blacklisted from the only yard within a 2 hour drive of your marina

Suing a plumber or an electrician is different, there's a constant supply of new ones and probably over a hundred in your area right now

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 11, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Made a carrying case for my new battery, just got a cheap ammo box with a rubber seal and put a switched voltage meter/usb charger on it, and cut the battery lines and added a quick disconnect.

Turned out well, now it will be nice and easy to put it in and take out of the boat cuz my boat sits outside in the Florida elements.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I just ordered my new 170A Balmar alternator with a Wakespeed WS500 regulator and a mounting kit for my engine.

That will be a fun install, though it will need to wait until I do the lithium install first... My 3x 330Ah Victron batteries arrive in the next two weeks!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Maybe as a step before lawyer, move to writing, send them an email and outline of the problem and state in the email you're doing this in writing so you can start a written record of the issue. That ought to get their attention

My experience with dodgy boat people is they prefer to do everything over the phone, which leaves no paper trail. I would send emails to my boat sales guy and he would always leave me a voicemail or text me back

I've sent some emails and the delays are reasonable - they had construction in their haulout well for a water main leak under the concrete and the yard manager also had his first child - plus also this:

quote:

Boat yards are in short supply, I'd hesitate to get a lawyer involved too fast, you don't want to get blacklisted from the only yard within a 2 hour drive of your marina
has me treading a lot more lightly than I'd really like, traditionally.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thought I'd seen everything in 20 years of looking at online boat ads. Never seen a hot tub on a sub-70 ft boat before

This would have been sold/built at the tail end of the"good" era of Irwin/Ericson

I bet that rots on the market for five years before the owner dies and the widow sells it for less than 300 with 10 years deferred maintenance

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 12, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Those are super nice. A friend of mine is a delivery captain and I crewed on a delivery of one that was headed for restoration and even in rough shape it was gorgeous

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Went out for a short jaunt to port credit Ontario today. I wanted to take a look at the Ridgetown. It was purposely sank as a break water back in the...... Early 70s(?) Or so. Though it hasn't been used for decades, this former lake freighter is one of the oldest surviving hulls still on the great lakes.

I'm not really a picture taking kind of guy, but there are plenty of it online. Sorry goons.

On the way back we (went with a dude from work) saw something floating in the water. Turned around and went back to investigate further. It was a pill bottle. It wasn't waterproof, so the contents were somewhat wet, but I opened it up and there was this white powdery looking stuff in there. Some of it was a bit clumped up, but there was a bunch of it stuck to the I side of the bottle, and had obviously been powder ta some point.

I smelled it and it kinda smelled a bit like beer. Weird. Did someone uhhhh, lose their stash?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ship skip to 1:22 and 2:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7SqmEmuHM

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It looks like the Edmund Fitzgerald.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hells yeah! Sweet video.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's considerably shorter.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wesleywillis posted:

Edmund Fitzgerald (Radio Edit)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Kesper North posted:

Edmund Fitzgerald (Radio Edit)

Narrower too I think:v:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

wesleywillis posted:

Hells yeah! Sweet video.

Have a look around the steel mills in Hamilton sometime using Google maps satellite imagery. There’s a whole bunch of similar ships used to build the break walls there with the hull shapes still visible. All those had the superstructures removed, though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Thought I'd seen everything in 20 years of looking at online boat ads. Never seen a hot tub on a sub-70 ft boat before

This would have been sold/built at the tail end of the"good" era of Irwin/Ericson

I bet that rots on the market for five years before the owner dies and the widow sells it for less than 300 with 10 years deferred maintenance

How about a saltwater jacuzzi on a 50ft day boat? :eng101:

https://www.deantonioyachts.com/d50open

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Fornax Disaster posted:

Have a look around the steel mills in Hamilton sometime using Google maps satellite imagery. There’s a whole bunch of similar ships used to build the break walls there with the hull shapes still visible. All those had the superstructures removed, though.

There's a bunch at Ontario place doing the same poo poo

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

wesleywillis posted:

wesleywillis posted:

Narrower too I think:v:

To be fair, as the lake freighters go she was bigger than most.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a freakishly empty marina.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's also a marina in *checks notes* north of Seattle so *checks Google* it's barely north of 50°F this time of year. The alcoholics haven't yet switched from vodka to rum or tequila that far north

Texas famously has more gold medalist sailors than any other states, that's not an accident, they have an 11 month sailing season. The only reason it's not 12 months is because he's there's no wind in August and it's just too drat hot to move while outside

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hadlock posted:

It's also a marina in *checks notes* north of Seattle so *checks Google* it's barely north of 50°F this time of year.

I'm so mad that Toronto has my weather. it was 90 degrees in Seattle today

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Locator posted:

That's a freakishly empty marina.

Based on the colour of the leaves on many of the trees, and lack of leaves on some others, I'd say its probably mid-late fall there.

The place I have my boat docked at says I have to have it out by October 15th. Its probably similar at the marina.

Hey, speaking of boat poo poo, is it considered sacrilege to us zip ties for mouzing a shackle?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

wesleywillis posted:

Went out for a short jaunt to port credit Ontario today. I wanted to take a look at the Ridgetown. It was purposely sank as a break water back in the...... Early 70s(?) Or so. Though it hasn't been used for decades, this former lake freighter is one of the oldest surviving hulls still on the great lakes.

I'm not really a picture taking kind of guy, but there are plenty of it online. Sorry goons.

That's my neck of the woods and I sailed out of that marina last summer. That ship gets COVERED in birds and bird poo poo - just an unbelievable amount of poo poo - and the smell that comes with it is impressive. And yeah, that was clearly filmed out of season because we're only on the water April-October and it's completely packed otherwise.

quote:

On the way back we (went with a dude from work) saw something floating in the water. Turned around and went back to investigate further. It was a pill bottle. It wasn't waterproof, so the contents were somewhat wet, but I opened it up and there was this white powdery looking stuff in there. Some of it was a bit clumped up, but there was a bunch of it stuck to the I side of the bottle, and had obviously been powder ta some point.

I smelled it and it kinda smelled a bit like beer. Weird. Did someone uhhhh, lose their stash?

Obviously it could be anything, but is it a sour, chemically smell? My first thought is that you've probably found some heroin my man. I haven't seen any in a pill bottle but weirder things have happened.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

Hey, speaking of boat poo poo, is it considered sacrilege to us zip ties for mouzing a shackle?

It's fine for short term use. Lockwire is cheap, as is copper romex wire with the insulation stripped off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zip ties are remarkably uv resistant, I recall seeing them used on a J/24 to hold, I forget, maybe the back stay tensioner to the aftcastle. This was on a boat that sailed at j/24 worlds in ~2013 so it's not like it was a casual weekend warrior

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Zip ties are not all created equal in my experience, where I have some used in very strong high altitude sunlight. I’ve bought some that are specifically sold as UV resistant and they’ve held up better than others

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I actually asked him about the zip ties. Apparently he worked at the freightliner (like, 18 wheeler) engine factory and the zip ties he was using were used to secure the engine block to the forklift pallet or something. So true industrial grade. I guess the factory is outside of Denton, Tx somewhere. Maybe it's Peterbilt I forget

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
With all this sinking talk, I feel fortunate but also living on the edge a bit for having the driest bilge imaginable (it gets downright dusty), but also the boat apparently never having an automatic bilge system in it's 43 year lifespan. Half of me figures I should just add it, half of me figures it's gone this far so why add another hole?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yeah, I have used the lovely zip ties before, but typically only go with the "uv black" ones these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Well the good news is the rib hasn't sank yet but it still lets some water seep in through the stern board when I'm bowing up (Is that the right terminology?), but thankfully the bung works quite well. I'll need to get this looked at regardless.
In other news apparently estuary water and low tides on mud makes your boat really friggen dirty :doh:

I'm having lots of fun otherwise :D