Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I worked by the toy section of my store and there were straight up Nerf guns based on Roblox games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

people are 100% talking about games on roblox you just arent 10 years old

I wish this had loving applied to My Little Pony! Kids stuff has never stopped adults from being weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not only are there dhar mann videos about roblox, there are dhar mann ripoff channels that are made in roblox

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I wish this had loving applied to My Little Pony! Kids stuff has never stopped adults from being weird.
some kids stuff does get an adult following but a ton dont.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

not only are there dhar mann videos about roblox, there are dhar mann ripoff channels that are made in roblox

Who

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah. Again, toy department experience, there is so much poo poo that is madly popular with the kids that you've just never heard of

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The thing that is weird about Roblox to me; I have never even once seen or heard of any games made on it. No one is talking about anything made with it as some sort of must play incredible game. Where like Warcraft III, like you mentioned it spawned MOBA. Even before League of Legends, if you hadn't played Warcraft III, you at least heard of Defense of the Ancients anyways if you spent any time on gaming forums. Roblox is so weird to me, it is apparently massively popular, but I don't know a single thing about it or anyone who plays it.

aside from what's been said, the context of league's blossoming success has to be kept in mind: it was a free to play game being released just at the cusp of mass internet adoption, especially in poorer regions of the world, and there was almost nothing else big at the time in terms of true multiplayer beyond, like, counter-strike, starcraft, and a couple MMOs

anyone trying to put out a brand new multiplayer product in 2023 has to convince consumers that their product is worth their time more than league of legends, fortnite, valorant, CSGO, apex legends, rocket league, destiny 2, PoE, FFXIV, WoW, or any of the other dozens of competitive multiplayer options or live services out there. it's an incredibly vicious, tightly packed market, which leaves little space for anyone small and new with a good idea to actually squeeze in sufficiently, barring truly extraordinary circumstances (e.g. amogus benefiting from a once-in-a-century global pandemic)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

league was also a game that could run on a cheap computer, which meant it was very easy to open a net cafe with computers that had it installed. this was how a lot of people played multiplayer PC games in that era.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Super hyped for Final Fantasy XVI, and realizing that there are still Final Fantasy titles I haven't finished yet. Just completed FF2 though! So I have completed FF1 & 2, and FF6 - 15, minus FF8. Trying to see how many I can get through before FF16 comes out. I have almost 1 month left, so I don't suspect i'll get many more done. Going to play FF8 next. Final Fantasy II though was an awesome game! Much more ambitious of course than the first one, and a really good sequel. I know a lot of fans don't really like it though? But I thought it was pretty good. Granted this was the pixel remaster.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

league was also a game that could run on a cheap computer, which meant it was very easy to open a net cafe with computers that had it installed. this was how a lot of people played multiplayer PC games in that era.

there was a special travel episode of gamecenter CX i remember from several years back where arino visited cambodia and stopped in at a PC cafe, and the establishing shot they had of the interior had the league client open on every visible screen

naturally, of course, they had him play alien shooter for like 4 minutes and then moved on

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Khanstant posted:

Warcraft 3 map that's all of LotR taking place all at 9nce. In theory, if you ever had a full game and nobody left and anybody knew what to do. I'm sure the map creator put a lot of thought into it though

Hey I played that map once, highlight was when I was frodo and actually managed to sneak the ring into mordor and throw it into mt doom while the other team was doomstacking through the shire

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Roblox seems like where the kids are making custom poo poo these days. Has Roblox made any game mode good enough to be spun off into its own game and company?

theres a lot of game dev companies on roblox i work for one

some are trying to spin off on their own

the roblox platform is kinda like valve with steam but not a 1:1

I said come in! posted:

The thing that is weird about Roblox to me; I have never even once seen or heard of any games made on it. No one is talking about anything made with it as some sort of must play incredible game.

check a local toy aisle and you'll find toys based on games

there are some good games on roblox but theyre tycoon lifesim games like the farm one i'm playing now, meme parody games like the multiple ending maxwell the cat raising simulator or sonic forces lovingly recreated with despicable me characters, or obbys which are just source engine platforming maps

some genre outliers like doors which is like spooky's house of jumpscares and is high quality too high cause i can't run it and robot 64 which is a cool mario 64 collectathon game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

roblox as a concept mostly annoys me solely because i had nothing equivalent growing up beyond klik n' play and its community of, like, 50 people online

i sometimes wonder how good the preservation of all that old poo poo has been. i can't remember much of it beyond this final fantasy/zelda-like series, nelda nockbladder (an absurdist dutch-produced platform puzzler starring a bear in a nightgown), and the walkerton series, which featured high-quality hand-drawn and scanned sprites detailing the adventures of the eponymous alien hunting secret agent and his love of doritos, for which i directly blame my youthful pudginess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

in my day, we had "ZZT" and "Megazeux"

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2lsvbSgH0

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Every game dev learned an important lesson from wc3 customs: never give players and creators that much freedom again. Imagine all the additional revenue streams lost. It's enough to make Kotick cry

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
logging into Defense of the Ancients for the first time and having death threats and slurs fly out of my screen like the Ecto Containment Unit in Ghostbusters was really something

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Well, after a few attempts to give it a completely open minded and honest shot, myself and the two friends I usually do co-op stuff with have given up on Redfall. It's a shame, there's so much in it that I want to like but even when actively trying to be charitable there's just nothing there to make me keep playing. The mission design feels very bland, and I would probably forgive that if it wasn't coupled with the brainded enemy AI. We ramped up the difficulty to see if that would help, but unfortunately that just turns enemies into bullet sponges; the result being that instead of every encounter feeling identical, every encounter ended up feeling identical but for longer! I don't think the game is salvageable, unfortunately, there's too many fundamental design choices that are either very bland/mediocre or are outright questionable.

There's been a great upside to this though which is that after having tried to rope my friends in for a while without success we finally started playing Deep Rock Galactic and everyone is loving it. I love the atmosphere and the OST, and playing as a trio of Driller/Scout/Engineer (I'm the Engineer) gives us each a little niche to fulfill which feels great. Our Driller also has absolutely no sense of direction and a seeming complete inability to read a map which has lead to a lot of fun moments.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
what a stain on arkane's reputation. and your previous post about it was the most positive I had seen.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Yeah, unfortunately as we sunk more time into it the things that were dragging the game down for me very rapidly began to outweigh the stuff that I enjoyed. We all wanted to take the time to unlock more areas/progress the missions a bit and get all the abilities for our characters to see if the disparate parts of the game would come together into something better than the sum of its parts but it just doesn't. I really wish it did.

Ultimately, I think Arkane will be absolutely fine and will recover, and failure is just as important a learning opportunity as success is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The new Zelda game being out made me finally sit down to play Breath of the Wild and oh no oh God this is going to eat up my entire life, isn't it? :stwoon:

Rinkles posted:

what a stain on arkane's reputation. and your previous post about it was the most positive I had seen.

Far as I'm concerned Arkane has still never made a bad game, because if I never play Redfall I can pretend that it doesn't exist... :cripes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna laugh if Redfall turns out to be an Aliens Colonial Marines situation where one line of code being fixed makes it actually playable

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

there's some anecdotal accounts of the AI mostly shutting down in co-op for some reason. every good thing I hear about the game is from people playing solo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

catgirlgenius posted:

there's some anecdotal accounts of the AI mostly shutting down in co-op for some reason. every good thing I hear about the game is from people playing solo

All I wanted from Arkane was another solo game in the first place :sigh:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vermain posted:

anyone trying to put out a brand new multiplayer product in 2023 has to convince consumers that their product is worth their time more than league of legends, fortnite, valorant, CSGO, apex legends, rocket league, destiny 2, PoE, FFXIV, WoW

U forgot dota op

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

catgirlgenius posted:

The AI is not any smarter in solo, I’m afraid.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

in my day, we had "ZZT" and "Megazeux"

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L2lsvbSgH0

We still have ZZT, it’s just called Unreal Engine 5 now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The new Zelda game being out made me finally sit down to play Breath of the Wild and oh no oh God this is going to eat up my entire life, isn't it? :stwoon:

Have fun aimlessly exploring for dozens of hours, do the main story for at least until Hateno Village to avoid a gotcha that nails a lot (like, a lot a lot) of new players.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Last Celebration posted:

Have fun aimlessly exploring for dozens of hours, do the main story for at least until Hateno Village to avoid a gotcha that nails a lot (like, a lot a lot) of new players.

What is this gotcha?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

What is this gotcha?

Gameplay spoilers: the camera, you can’t miss it but given you can take pictures of like virtually everything for the Compendium it’s ideal to have it asap imho. Plus it’s just plain fun to have!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GOTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNcR5qobuo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thinking of introducing a new game, Would You Click This?!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Thinking of introducing a new game, Would You Click This?!

I’d be kinda tempted, that seems cringe but in that special way where it loops back into being funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did the screenshot change? I just see a clickbait tier list

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

first we need a video about the proper definition of 'Souls Borne'

it needs to be at least two hours long

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Why’s Bloodborne so important that it gets top billing like that?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/MfqQhtU.mp4

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

hatty posted:

Why’s Bloodborne so important that it gets top billing like that?

A single franchise is a series. Metroid
It takes a second franchise to make it a genre. Metroidvania
But then you have to stop or else the whole thing crumbles under its own semantic weight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Call it Nioh-Souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They're just Souls games. If anything Sekiro would deserve to be portmanteu'd but the 5 ppl who had a PS3 or whatever would riot.