Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I feel like my XR to 15 leap is gonna be pretty minor, which is a shame. The biggest pain points are certain bloated apps (looking at you, Grindr) crashing on my phone, as well as FaceTime also causing heat issues that cause my screen to dim.

But aside from that, I feel like all I have to look forward to is better night/low light photos. Oh and less reliance on lightning cables.

I’m still looking forward to a new phone come September/October, but it’s not going to feel as big of a leap as the 5C-7 Plus was. That was exciting.

You should see a huge jump from the XR , especially camera wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my iPhone X I bought years and years ago. Does it make sense to wait for the iPhone 15 or will the jump from X to 14 be significant enough that it shouldn't matter if I miss out on a few new features with the 15?

Are you thinking of getting a Vanilla or a Pro?
The 14 Vanilla is the same CPU as the 13 Vanilla so it might be better to wait for the 15.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

buglord posted:

I feel like my XR to 15 leap is gonna be pretty minor, which is a shame. The biggest pain points are certain bloated apps (looking at you, Grindr) crashing on my phone, as well as FaceTime also causing heat issues that cause my screen to dim.

But aside from that, I feel like all I have to look forward to is better night/low light photos. Oh and less reliance on lightning cables.

I’m still looking forward to a new phone come September/October, but it’s not going to feel as big of a leap as the 5C-7 Plus was. That was exciting.

Sounds like you should just keep the XR TBH. :agesilaus:

Edit: content:
Work upgraded me from an 11 to a 13 a few months back, and I could barely tell any difference.

I’m leaving my job in June so I just ordered a new 13. Maybe I’m stupid but I heard so much about how the 14 is nearly the same so I’d rather save the $90 or whatever it was.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 12, 2023

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’m gonna follow it and go ahead and wait to see what if any major enhancements or hardware changes come with the 15.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Amazon.it is doing a 22% discount promo on standard 14 - 128gb today. I'm currently on a 64gb XR with a 95% health battery. I wanted to know the goon consensus if it's a good idea to upgrade or it's a bad deal. Every apple device i have is on lightning so usb-c is actually a downgrade.

Edit: I forgot to mention, minimal storage size is not an issue since i have my own NAS and OneDrive. Camera improvements will be strongly appreciated since I stopped carrying my old canon ixus along.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 12, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think the 14 would beat the XR and the Canon camera-wise. Pretty good leap in phone aspects too. Could still turn around and sell the XR for a decent amount on Swappa.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The Canon Ixus is a P&S according to Google?

I bought a ~$300 P&S (Canon PowerShot that tries to look like Micro 4/3) in 2019 and I was disgusted at how garbage the pictures were compared to the goddamn iPhone 8.
I would have thought your XR would already be better than the Canon, but if not the the 14 will be a miracle.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Coming from a Pixel 4a, which I felt already had an amazing camera, the iPhone Pro 14 camera is a hundred times better with video and/or anything that involves zooming. 9x video zoom on the iphone is orders of magnitude better than 3x video zoom on the pixel 4a.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with the non-pro models is focal length. You only get an insanely wide fisheye or a normal wide angle. Digital zoom will look like poo poo.

But I habitually carry around a full size camera so maybe my expectations are unfair.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

~Coxy posted:

The Canon Ixus is a P&S according to Google?

I bought a ~$300 P&S (Canon PowerShot that tries to look like Micro 4/3) in 2019 and I was disgusted at how garbage the pictures were compared to the goddamn iPhone 8.
I would have thought your XR would already be better than the Canon, but if not the the 14 will be a miracle.

Canon Digital IXUS 90 IS also known as power shot SD790 in the states. Unlike the XR, it has optical zoom (last time i had to get some zoom out of the XR, I had to prop a binocular in front of the phone lens to see anything) and sorta decent glass so it can still produce slightly better pics when there isn't a lot of light. Movie wise it's so obsolete there is no contest.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I just ordered it along with a grandpa style flip cover(I'm old ok?).

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 12, 2023

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Apple Pay question. I work at a major retailer, and we don’t accept tap payments. I’ve heard a couple reasons why, like “Apple Pay isn’t secure enough” (which I know is utter bullshit), and “Apple charges a fee for every tap transaction”. Now that last one feels like bullshit as well but I’m not certain. Any insight? Apple isn’t the only one who does tap, considering Android, Samsung, and physical cards can tap as well… so why is Apple being singled out here?

If it’s a major retailer they’re probably in some kind of grudge match with credit cards over fees, and might be trying to get people to use some other kind of system instead that has less fees/is better for the store. Anything that makes credit cards easier to use makes it harder to push the other thing. Walmart is I think the most famous example of this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrBond posted:

If it’s a major retailer they’re probably in some kind of grudge match with credit cards over fees, and might be trying to get people to use some other kind of system instead that has less fees/is better for the store. Anything that makes credit cards easier to use makes it harder to push the other thing. Walmart is I think the most famous example of this.

Kroger used to bitch about this but are starting to relent and allow Apple Pay in their stores finally. I think Walmart is the only holdout and would rather everyone use Walmart Pay. Kroger still has their own pay thing too but will also accept Apple Pay now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What's even sillier is that some store's apps offer in-store pick-up with Apple Pay built-in.

Home Depot and Lowes also don't accept Apple Pay, but Lowes is finally rolling out support. I doubt I'll be doing much shopping at Home Depot now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Amazon just delivered the phone(with pretty much zero packaging). Trying to move data, I'm having a shitload of issues. The wizard is getting stuck on the firmware update part, second time i had to reinitialize. I'm skilled enough to use configurator to circumvent this if it gets stuck on the third attempt but isn't this supposed to be fire and forget?

Edit: it worked at the second attempt, migrating viable data for less than a third of the apps. Had to set up every app beside games.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Kroger used to bitch about this but are starting to relent and allow Apple Pay in their stores finally. I think Walmart is the only holdout and would rather everyone use Walmart Pay. Kroger still has their own pay thing too but will also accept Apple Pay now.

Christ, I thought we were past stores partnering with fly by night companies to roll out some horseshit custom payment service.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Christ, I thought we were past stores partnering with fly by night companies to roll out some horseshit custom payment service.

Walmart has been trying to get people to use their pay service over actually paying in the store for years now. They don't like that the credit card companies take "so much" from them and would rather just cut them out so they pushed their completely unsecure pay thing. IIRC they revamped it, it's still not secure, it still sucks, but they keep pushing it just to cut out credit card companies.

Store conglomerates REALLY hate MasterCard and Visa fees apparently.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s funny because the Walmart credit card is Mastercard.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Sanity check, is it normal that iPhone migration doesn’t move alarms during the copy process? I had the old phone ring instead of the new.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Walmart has been trying to get people to use their pay service over actually paying in the store for years now. They don't like that the credit card companies take "so much" from them and would rather just cut them out so they pushed their completely unsecure pay thing. IIRC they revamped it, it's still not secure, it still sucks, but they keep pushing it just to cut out credit card companies.

Store conglomerates REALLY hate MasterCard and Visa fees apparently.

My pet peeve is companies only giving a discount on the monthly bill if you do autopay with a debit card.

I guess volume wise that 1-3% credit card fee adds up. Still not a great policy.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I started using WalmartPay because I forgot my wallet 2 times and did not realize until I got to the register. It was extremely useful in those moments.

I got three months of Walmart+ free with YouTube premium (and that gave my three months of Paramount+ for free) and they give you “rewards” on items you buy so I use WalmartPay still. Some day I am going to try the “scan as you go” set up to avoid having to go through the checkouts completely (but it only makes sense for large items that you will not be bagging).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Walmart scan as you go is nice. Until at the end it tells you to go to a checkout lane and scan the QR code to finish the transaction, then it seems entirely pointless.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Duckman2008 posted:

My pet peeve is companies only giving a discount on the monthly bill if you do autopay with a debit card.

I guess volume wise that 1-3% credit card fee adds up. Still not a great policy.
I don’t like it either, but in addition to saving processing fees they’re guaranteed payment. Overdrawn? That’s your problem with your bank.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Walmart scan as you go is nice. Until at the end it tells you to go to a checkout lane and scan the QR code to finish the transaction, then it seems entirely pointless.

That is pointless (other than saving you time bagging your stuff)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got three months of Walmart+ free with YouTube premium (and that gave my three months of Paramount+ for free)

So off topic from WalmartPay/Walmart+, I had a subscription for Paramount+ signed up through my iPhone, and saw a deal through Verizon where if you pay for a year of Paramount+ all at once you’d get a free year of Netflix. I had to let the Paramount+ subscription lapse before I could switch the billing to Verizon though, so I let that happen and I continued to have access to Paramount+ with a cancelled subscription. Apparently there is some bug where if you have a sub to Paramount+ through Apple and cancel it you stop being billed, but still have full access. This prevented me from getting the year of Netflix since I can’t switch the billing over since they still think I’m subscribing through Apple.

No guarantees it’ll work for anyone else, but I haven’t paid for Paramount+ in over two months, and there are folks on Reddit who claim to have had this going on for over a year.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something similar happened to me. I had subscribed on their website for a month so my daughters could watch a movie. I cancelled it before the month was over. After I got this offer, I went through the Walmart website to sign in and thought it had taken that subscription set up.

2 weeks later (and a month after I had cancelled my previous subscription), it stopped working because it was still only recognizing my previous subscription even though it was cancelled and not paid for.

I think their system is not that good at restricting access and Apple may be a permanent loophole.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Branch Nvidian posted:

So off topic from WalmartPay/Walmart+, I had a subscription for Paramount+ signed up through my iPhone, and saw a deal through Verizon where if you pay for a year of Paramount+ all at once you’d get a free year of Netflix. I had to let the Paramount+ subscription lapse before I could switch the billing to Verizon though, so I let that happen and I continued to have access to Paramount+ with a cancelled subscription. Apparently there is some bug where if you have a sub to Paramount+ through Apple and cancel it you stop being billed, but still have full access. This prevented me from getting the year of Netflix since I can’t switch the billing over since they still think I’m subscribing through Apple.

No guarantees it’ll work for anyone else, but I haven’t paid for Paramount+ in over two months, and there are folks on Reddit who claim to have had this going on for over a year.

Can confirm. I haven't paid for Paramount+ for close to a year because of this bug.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can confirm. I haven't paid for Paramount+ for close to a year because of this bug.

Does it work on the no ad version too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i am tired of fuckin lightning cables burning themselves out due to little bits of dust getting stuck in the socket and crossing the pins. this connector is hella lovely and it needs to die so i can just have a goddamn usb-c plug that works on my phone.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe clean the lint and cheeto crumbs out of your pockets every once in a while.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dust does not conduct electricity

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What about cheeto crumbs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

i am tired of fuckin lightning cables burning themselves out due to little bits of dust getting stuck in the socket and crossing the pins. this connector is hella lovely and it needs to die so i can just have a goddamn usb-c plug that works on my phone.
This has literally never happened to me or anyone I know

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve seen a lot with damage on one of the pins but none that actually burned out.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

This has literally never happened to me or anyone I know

It was a surprising description to me as well.

But lightning cables constitute a part of the litter ecosystem so they're failing for some reason.

Same people who lose masks and those single use dental floss applicators I guess.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I mean I think they just wear out like a lot of cables do. Especially a cable that you might plug in/unplug from something multiple times a day. And a lot of lightning cables have been floating around people’s homes for over a decade at this point. Plus, I know I often buy a cheap one from a corner shop when I’m caught without a charger, and then that makes its way into the rotation, and inevitably dies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

god this blows posted:

Does it work on the no ad version too?

You can only get the no-ad version when you sub through Apple TV channels or whatever the hell it's called.

Arivia posted:

I've never seen this ever. Where in the world do you get your cables?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have had a number of lightning cables die with black stains on the contacts of of the connector, but I've never concluded whether it was a result of arcing or natural corrosion/grime buildup.

There have been claims that the "fourth pin" will eventually turn black due to static discharge but they've been pretty sparse so I'm not really buying it, if it was a universal problem I'd expect a lot more coverage because people love talking trash about apple and a "wiregate" would be too juicy to resist. :dadjoke:

As an example, one of the first links I saw in google: https://ioshacker.com/iphone/why-the-fourth-pin-on-your-lightning-cable-turns-black

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it's basic knowledge, but I wanted to remind that turning off 5G is a real battery save option. On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day. If you don't need upload/download on the move (say you are in a wifi covered area), you will save a decent amount of charge.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SlowBloke posted:

I know it's basic knowledge, but I wanted to remind that turning off 5G is a real battery save option. On my new 14 it's a 30% battery charge saving per day. If you don't need upload/download on the move (say you are in a wifi covered area), you will save a decent amount of charge.

Gross phone janitor bullshit.

If I wanted to fiddle and worry about battery life and check settings I’d have an android phone. Low power mode should be enough.

On the same note, I also refuse to consider any data plan that’s not unlimited - I don’t want to ever think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

wooger posted:

Gross phone janitor bullshit.

If I wanted to fiddle and worry about battery life and check settings I’d have an android phone. Low power mode should be enough.

On the same note, I also refuse to consider any data plan that’s not unlimited - I don’t want to ever think about it.

Without this "trick", my new phone discharges to 40% in less than eight hours. I was kinda pissed at this less than five days old phone having less charge by the end of the work day than my 95% battery health XR. I mean, i could carry a bandolier of powerbanks to compensate, but it seems more hassle than a simple software toggle.