Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

bawfuls posted:

hope this is the right thread for my noob troubleshooting questions after google failed me...

I've got plex and deluge set up successfully on my new unraid system, with deluge properly using my vpn.

Now I'm trying to get Sonarr set up and running into issues. (some) Guides tell me I need to enable the WebUi plugin within Deluge so that Sonarr can connect to it, but when I go to Deluge preferences, I can not check the WebUi box under plugins. Clicking just doesn't check the box. Other plugins are enabled, like Blocklist and Extractor. Under the Daemon I have "allow remote connections" checked as well. Other guides do not mention this step at all.

Within Sonarr, I have not been able to add Deluge as a download client yet. Sonarr says it's unable to connect to Deluge.

As best I can tell from guides, I have the settings correct in Sonarr for adding Deluge as a downoad client. The Host is my server IP, and if I enter that IP plus the port I have listed into a web browser it takes me right to the Deluge webui.

I haven't even gotten to the indexer stuff yet, which apparently requires yet another docker container (Jackett).

Feeling like I bit off more than I can chew here, documentation online is all over the place

Did you also give Sonarr the Deluge WebUI password? My Sonarr works fine with Deluge and I don't have the WebUI plugin checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yes, haven't changed the default deluge webui password and I put it in the password field in sonarr setup

the error it gives when I click Test is:

Unknown exception: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Connection reset by peer.: 'http://192.168.1.109:8112/json'

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

e.pilot posted:

unraid works fine over USB, especially a multi-bay JBOD, you shouldn’t see any noticeable performance hit

why do you want a desktop environment on unraid? you can do pretty much everything you could possibly need to do on unraid via the web gui or on very rare occasions ssh, having a desktop kind of defeats the purpose and isn’t what it’s designed for

you can pass through the GPU to a VM but then that’s all you can do with the GPU, you can’t assign it to multiple operating systems (multiple containers is fine)

Detailed more in my original post but the desktop environment wouldn't be for unraid management, it'd be for continuing to have a computer hooked up to the TV for tasks that are clunky to do on the Shield. Mainly torrent downloading/management, music playback when we have people over (using tabs to easily queue up music on/switch between multiple services e.g. youtube, soundcloud, streaming), playing music on top of muted videos, finding / playing totally legal streams of soccer games (and occasionally other sporting events) that aren't available on our TV channels or the myriad of streaming services we have. From what I've gathered, running a Windows VM for use on the unraid computer itself isn't too uncommon but maybe the people doing it tend to have both an iGPU and dGPU and/or they don't need PMS with hardware transcoding in a container.

To clarify, does the last point mean my want for both a desktop environment and PMS hardware transcoding via unraid's container management isn't possible on a single GPU system, or is there some way around that? It sounds like maybe it'd be more straightforward if I went with hardware RAID5 or JBOD with a software solution (software RAID, Storage Spaces, etc) combined with a Linux or Windows desktop OS rather than unraid (or similar) for our use cases.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Splinter posted:

To clarify, does the last point mean my want for both a desktop environment and PMS hardware transcoding via unraid's container management isn't possible on a single GPU system, or is there some way around that? It sounds like maybe it'd be more straightforward if I went with hardware RAID5 or JBOD with a software solution (software RAID, Storage Spaces, etc) combined with a Linux or Windows desktop OS rather than unraid (or similar) for our use cases.

Yes it’s not possible, if you dedicate a GPU to a VM you can only use it in the VM.

A NAS is not going to make a good HTPC, just as an HTPC is not going to make a good NAS. As cheap as SBC celeron boxes are on aliexpress, I’d just get a second one and get the best of both worlds, dedicated NAS and dedicated HTPC. If you’re determined on doing both with the same box you’re going to over complicate things and have a bad time. Hardware RAID is almost never the solution.

e: or hell grab a raspberry pi to use as the media center if you don’t already have a bunch of them collecting dust

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 11, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

e.pilot posted:

Yes it’s not possible, if you dedicate a GPU to a VM you can only use it in the VM.

A NAS is not going to make a good HTPC, just as an HTPC is not going to make a good NAS. As cheap as SBC celeron boxes are on aliexpress, I’d just get a second one and get the best of both worlds, dedicated NAS and dedicated HTPC. If you’re determined on doing both with the same box you’re going to over complicate things and have a bad time. Hardware RAID is almost never the solution.

e: or hell grab a raspberry pi to use as the media center if you don’t already have a bunch of them collecting dust

One of the few pros of qnap using laptop/nettop intel chips is that they can do both mostly good. Even my 2U nas can be set up to run kodi over the 4k hdmi out since it has a j series celeron.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

e.pilot posted:

I agree that a separate PC for the TV would be ideal, and you're right these days it could be accomplish for not much more than $100 with a mini PC, it just seems kinda excessive and maybe more complex than what we really need here. I ended up with a Mini PC + JBOD enclosure in the first place because it seemed excessive to have both something like a DS423+ and Mini PC with similar computing power for these relatively light workloads (especially once I started considering running qBittorrent via desktop as the web UI is noticeably more janky). We don't really need a full on NAS (i.e. hosting files/services/VMs/backups for all the devices in the house), just something that can pool drives with some parity for whatever Plex/BitTorrent is running on). If this was my own house I'd definitely go with the dedicated NAS setup, all the -arrs etc, but with 2 people with their own torrent sites/workflows it just seems easier to stick with something closer to the status quo for now.

It just doesn't seem like our setup is so complicated that it should require 2 computers and a Shield (or similar) to run smoothly. We've been running a simple Windows + unpooled drive setup for the server/HTPC over a decade without much issue other than a single drive failing over that time (and a parity solution in theory would've solved that). Only major changes were upgrading the internals once and eventually adding Plex + Google TV when 4k HDR content became more common. Does wanting to pool 4 drives with 1 used for redundancy really make 2 computers required for a reliable setup? Would foregoing the parity drive (just restore from the cloud i.e. Backblaze, as slow as that may be, in the event of a single drive failure rather than rebuilding a new drive locally) make things easier?

When you say hardware RAID is almost never the solution, do you mean if I want to attempt this with a single computer I should instead use something like software RAID, ZFS Z1 or Storage Spaces with parity, or is this just reiterating the need for separate desktop / NAS PCs? Are there any major issues with just going Windows + Storage Spaces + PMS via WSL2 Docker (for hardware tonemapping) or Ubuntu + ZFS Z1 + bare metal or containered PMS? I thought Storage Spaces with parity was super slow but it sounds like it's acceptable now (at least if configured correctly). Is the issue with using a cheap HW RAID box (or software RAID / Storage Spaces) one of reliability, speed or convenience? I'll probably at least play around with one of these options before ordering another Mini PC.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I've run a gaming VM in the past on unraid (I just use the iGPU for plex for QuickSync and passthrough the nVidia dGPU) and while it mostly works there's a lot of little annoyances mainly around USB passthrough that just made it a pain to use daily. For HTPC I don't see any benefit to a VM or PC for this compared to a smart TV box/stick.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aware posted:

I've run a gaming VM in the past on unraid (I just use the iGPU for plex for QuickSync and passthrough the nVidia dGPU) and while it mostly works there's a lot of little annoyances mainly around USB passthrough that just made it a pain to use daily. For HTPC I don't see any benefit to a VM or PC for this compared to a smart TV box/stick.

yeah there’s zero point in a home theater pc in tyool 2023 I was just trying to be nice

rebuilding a drive on unraid is trivial

unraid will max out the read speed of a single spinning drive without issue, it’s more than ample for a 2 user workload

e:
hell with containers you could each have your own torrent containers on separate IP addresses and they wouldn’t intermingle at all, but you seem set in what you want so have fun with an overly convoluted patchwork setup I guess

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 12, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Aware posted:

There are definitely uses where the smart TV box is noticeably worse or in some cases not even really capable of doing what we use the PC for when we're entertaining. We very regularly have lots of people over, some not really that tech savvy, most very inebriated and most very into music. People want to play music or music videos from many different sources e.g. YouTube, SoundCloud, Tidal/Spotify/etc. It's just way easier to have a browser open, which everyone knows how to use, with someone couch queuing up whatever, using multiple tabs with necessary, rather than trying to do it with the Shield or have everyone on their phone trying to cast (especially for those that aren't already on the WiFi network). And while Android TV can, if the app supports it, play music on top of muted video via casting the music, it's that's still kinda clunky (when it it works) compared to how easy it is with a desktop OS. We do in some cases use the Shield for music when it's appropriate, but there are some situations here where it's noticeably worse. I've been trying to get off the PC at the computer for years, and am very happy with where Shields are for movies/TV (still insane to me that the Shield is the only smart TV box that can actually handle all popular surround sound formats), but there's no reason to try to force that for some of our other use cases.

e.pilot posted:

yeah there’s zero point in a home theater pc in tyool 2023 I was just trying to be nice

rebuilding a drive on unraid is trivial

unraid will max out the read speed of a single spinning drive without issue, it’s more than ample for a 2 user workload

e:
hell with containers you could each have your own torrent containers on separate IP addresses and they wouldn’t intermingle at all, but you seem set in what you want so have fun with an overly convoluted patchwork setup I guess
I don't really see how going with a single PC with less virtualization and containerization is overly convoluted and patchworked. What is convoluted about having a desktop OS running a native torrent client and Plex in a container (or possibly bare metal if going with Linux)? While my roommate is tech savvy enough to have got into torrenting and such back in the day he's not really trying to learn new software like -arrs, web interfaces/terminal for everything, or how to manage docker etc when the current setup works fine. Again, if this were just my house and/or I was getting something for my long term use, I'd probably go with Unraid, but that's not the situation. I understand for a lot of people the idea of still using a KB+Mouse occasionally from the couch isn't desirable, but I promise you it still is a nice option to have for us. Not everyone has the same use cases/requirements. I understand Unraid is a great and straight forward NAS OS and would be great, but it seems like given the use cases there could be another fairly forward option that doesn't involve 2 separate mostly redundant PCs.

Btw we do occasionally have more than 2 disk users as we have friends using Plex remotely, but I agree that the speed of single spinny disk access is plenty. I'm not proposing RAID/Storage Spaces/ZFS as alternatives for performance reasons, just as other potential options for pooling and possibly parity.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Splinter posted:

given the use cases there could be another fairly forward option that doesn't involve 2 separate mostly redundant PCs.

there’s not is what we’re saying, NAS OSes are a relatively specialized use case versus a desktop OS, and sure you can roll your own dual use desktop/NAS with whatever flavor of linux you desire, but that greatly conflicts with your stated desire for simplicity and ease of use

you’re coming into the NAS thread asking for suggestions, are ignoring all of them, and complaining that things are different now than they were however many years ago, just install windows on it and revisit this thread when it dies again in a few years, and we can tell you to run the NAS OS du jour again

e: and fwiw you don’t have to learn anything new, setting up the arrs is extra and not at all required, the torrent client literally runs in a web gui and is deadass simple, I connect back to my network via VPN and download torrents to my server from literally the opposite side of the planet from my phone’s browser, it looks like this

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 12, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Splinter posted:

There are definitely uses where the smart TV box is noticeably worse or in some cases not even really capable of doing what we use the PC for when we're entertaining. We very regularly have lots of people over, some not really that tech savvy, most very inebriated and most very into music. People want to play music or music videos from many different sources e.g. YouTube, SoundCloud, Tidal/Spotify/etc. It's just way easier to have a browser open, which everyone knows how to use, with someone couch queuing up whatever, using multiple tabs with necessary, rather than trying to do it with the Shield or have everyone on their phone trying to cast (especially for those that aren't already on the WiFi network). And while Android TV can, if the app supports it, play music on top of muted video via casting the music, it's that's still kinda clunky (when it it works) compared to how easy it is with a desktop OS. We do in some cases use the Shield for music when it's appropriate, but there are some situations here where it's noticeably worse. I've been trying to get off the PC at the computer for years, and am very happy with where Shields are for movies/TV (still insane to me that the Shield is the only smart TV box that can actually handle all popular surround sound formats), but there's no reason to try to force that for some of our other use cases.

I don't really see how going with a single PC with less virtualization and containerization is overly convoluted and patchworked. What is convoluted about having a desktop OS running a native torrent client and Plex in a container (or possibly bare metal if going with Linux)? While my roommate is tech savvy enough to have got into torrenting and such back in the day he's not really trying to learn new software like -arrs, web interfaces/terminal for everything, or how to manage docker etc when the current setup works fine. Again, if this were just my house and/or I was getting something for my long term use, I'd probably go with Unraid, but that's not the situation. I understand for a lot of people the idea of still using a KB+Mouse occasionally from the couch isn't desirable, but I promise you it still is a nice option to have for us. Not everyone has the same use cases/requirements. I understand Unraid is a great and straight forward NAS OS and would be great, but it seems like given the use cases there could be another fairly forward option that doesn't involve 2 separate mostly redundant PCs.

Not trying to burst your bubble, if you dont mind the occasional hiccup it works great assuming you have two GPUs which isnt hard on an Intel based system but also getting a 730 or something is very easy too. So absolutely go for it! Unraid makes it particularly easy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Maybe this should have been posted although it's not really a NAS system anymore as much as a post-NAS setup where the local storage pool is a sort of L2 cache

https://github.com/saltyorg/Saltbox

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

e.pilot posted:

you’re coming into the NAS thread asking for suggestions, are ignoring all of them, and complaining that things are different now than they were however many years ago, just install windows on it and revisit this thread when it dies again in a few years, and we can tell you to run the NAS OS du jour again

e: and fwiw you don’t have to learn anything new, setting up the arrs is extra and not at all required, the torrent client literally runs in a web gui and is deadass simple, I connect back to my network via VPN and download torrents to my server from literally the opposite side of the planet from my phone’s browser, it looks like this

I mean...I bought essentially exactly what the thread recommended. I came here leaning towards a DS423+ maybe paired with a mini PC for a desktop and based on the thread recommendations ended up with an N5105 mini PC paired with a USB JBOD DAS. I also mentioned I still might end up going with an unraid solution, I've just been researching and trying to better understand some alternatives as well. I'm not against new software or workflows, I'm just trying to make sure I'm making a good decision given the circumstances of how the system will be used and especially who will be using it.

I'm just curious why ideas like putting 4 disks in a raid enclosure, setting it to RAID5 mode, then connecting it to a Windows or Linux PC wouldn't be a straightforward solution. To me it seems like it would be straightforward forward on both the software and storage side of things. Set-and-forget for years. But I'm sure I'm missing something. Are the raid controllers on the enclosures unreliable? Is something like Storage Spaces not set-and-forget? Etc. Those are the sorts of questions I've been looking into.

I've also used torrent clients remotely as well. I lived halfway across the country for a few years and was still using the server in this house remotely via the web for both torrents and Plex because the internet where I was living was slow. I also use Podman/Docker/Linux all day at work. I'm comfortable with most of this stuff except for the storage array options.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Splinter posted:

I'm just curious why ideas like putting 4 disks in a raid enclosure, setting it to RAID5 mode, then connecting it to a Windows or Linux PC wouldn't be a straightforward solution. To me it seems like it would be straightforward forward on both the software and storage side of things. Set-and-forget for years. But I'm sure I'm missing something. Are the raid controllers on the enclosures unreliable? Is something like Storage Spaces not set-and-forget? Etc. Those are the sorts of questions I've been looking into.
Yes if the raid hardware fails you’re pretty much hosed, especially if it’s some random one off raid enclosure that is difficult to source another exact version of years down the road, software raid doesn’t give a poo poo if the hardware fails, replace the hardware with whatever and off you go.

And unraid doesn’t even do that, even if the hardware and software fail, the drives are still readable by anything, they’re just normal XFS formatted drives since it’s not raid, it just adds a parity drive making recovery of data possible should a drive fail. Downside being you don’t get the speed advantages of raid, but in a single digit user workspace that’s a relatively moot point.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I want to read some data from a bunch of snapshots.

A while ago I was playing around with truenas and I set up "backups" dataset with a recurring snapshot task. The idea being that I could simply use it as a dumb mirror of my other computer's files using rsync or syncthing or robocopy, and rely on the snapshots to provide versioning. I never got around to actually using it though.

Now I'm trying to use this truenas machine again, and I see that those backup snapshots are holding on to 30 GB:

code:
tank/backups@auto-2022-05-29_00-00                     36.3M      -     11.6G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-06-05_00-00                      660K      -     17.2G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-06-12_00-00                      240K      -     17.2G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-06-19_00-00                     41.9M      -     19.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-06-26_00-00                     36.0M      -     19.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-07-03_00-00                     38.4M      -     19.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-07-10_00-00                     58.5M      -     26.5G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-07-17_00-00                     6.81M      -     28.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-07-24_00-00                      220K      -     28.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-07-31_00-00                      204K      -     28.1G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-08-07_00-00                     86.6M      -     28.4G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-08-14_00-00                     97.8M      -     28.5G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-08-21_00-00                      131M      -     28.8G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-08-28_00-00                      308K      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-09-25_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-10-02_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-10-09_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-10-16_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-10-23_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-10-30_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-12-18_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2022-12-25_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-01_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-08_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-12_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-13_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-14_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-15_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-16_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-17_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-18_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-01-19_00-00                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-05-11_21-30                        0B      -     28.7G  -
tank/backups@auto-2023-05-11_21-45                        0B      -     28.7G  -
I want to figure out what's using that space and make sure its not important before I blow all this away and try again. But tank/backups has nothing in it besides 4 other datasets which themselves are also empty. So what do I do here?

E: I figured it out! /mnt/tank/backups/.zfs/snapshots has them. ls -a will not show .zfs/ even though it exists.

What confused me is that USED for tank/backups is at 30G, but is empty, while the snapshots have low USED numbers but can see the files. I would have expected the USED number on the snapshots to account for the data, since it was deleted from tank/backups itself.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 13, 2023

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Seems like the migration from TrueNAS Core to Scale is pretty straightforward. Thinking about giving it a rip on the next few days.

Anyone done this recently?

Lotta Linux isos, no full backup, not worth it for this data (4x8tb RAID-Z and 4x14tb RAID-Z, single pool). All replaceable, just would be very very annoying.

I have not came across any horror stories about the process, so I'm feeling alright about it.

TrueNAS (13.0-U4)is a VM running on ESXi 7.0, PCIe passthrough for the LSI HBA (9207-8i). Zero issues for the past few years with the setup.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Splinter posted:

You can absolutely get Ubuntu or Fedora, set up ZFS with a RAIDZ1 + Samba + torrent client, and do exactly what you want. Not really sure why it's getting such pushback. Is it going to be more likely to have issues than Unraid or TrueNAS? Sure, but only in the sense that issues always become more likely as you add moving parts - it's still pretty likely to work out just fine if you know what you're doing.

I have no experience with Storage Spaces so I can't comment on the Windows option.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Storage spaces is absolute garbage, do literally anything else.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I ran storage spaces for years and it worked but the performance was absolute poo poo. Like worse than the individual drives would have managed. If you really don't want to learn linux or whatever it'll do the job but it should be towards the bottom of the list of preferences.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Storage Spaces Direct is still being used in server environments, IIRC. What is its actual purpose there? Because uh...

Microsoft should just add their efforts to OpenZFS on Windows, making sure it'll integrate better than what's going on right now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Anyone got recommendations for tracking down what process is spiking CPU utilization on TrueNAS Scale? I’m not encountering any issues with TrueNAS Scale, just curious.

Happens about once a minute - big jump to 50% cpu and then a return to nothing. Seems to last less than a few seconds so it’s been hard to spot it in top/htop/btop.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Moey posted:

Seems like the migration from TrueNAS Core to Scale is pretty straightforward. Thinking about giving it a rip on the next few days.

Anyone done this recently?

Lotta Linux isos, no full backup, not worth it for this data (4x8tb RAID-Z and 4x14tb RAID-Z, single pool). All replaceable, just would be very very annoying.

I have not came across any horror stories about the process, so I'm feeling alright about it.

TrueNAS (13.0-U4)is a VM running on ESXi 7.0, PCIe passthrough for the LSI HBA (9207-8i). Zero issues for the past few years with the setup.

I have done it twice in the last few days since I've been experimenting with different setups. Both times it went through flawlessly. Even kept my shares configured. Go for it imo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The SATA controllers on this piece of poo poo ASRock motherboard are somehow broken as hell, throwing random CRC errors on SSDs and crippling the performance of my parity drives, so I switched out my LSI 9220-8i HBA for a big boy LSI 9300-16i which is admittedly overkill for spinners (12GB/s throughput vs 6GB/s lol), but goddamn if everything isn't flying now. Parity checks would max out at 30MB/s before and it's now going at 180MB/s on 5400rpm parity disks. I also doubled up on RAM as it was discounted.

I have no idea why the front USB header cable on this Node 804 is so comically long.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
ML30 gang and future ML30 gang:

They’re back in stock and cheaper now.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125245249590

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have 6 HDDs totalling 23TB with stuff backed up on them. Different sizes, and are all on average about half full. 3 are internal drives (which I have been plugging into a USB adapter to use), and 3 are external (of which one is a 3.5" drive that needs its own power supply, the other 2 are 2.5" drives that just run off USB power). I upgraded my PC last summer and therefore have an old PC sitting around doing nothing, so I'm looking into the feasibility of turning this into a NAS/media server. Looking to spend as little money as possible, preferably nothing.

A few questions:
  • My understanding is that these things can run on pretty low-spec PCs, so presumably mine is fine? i5-7400, 8gb DDR4 RAM, B250M-A (6x SATA slots, 2x M.2 slots), no GPU (but it has onboard graphics so I can use that, or run it headless I guess), 600W PSU. I also have an empty 240GB SSD that I can use as a boot drive but this would take up one of the mobo's SATA slots. Bear in mind that if I have a plex server (or equivalent) I won't be transcoding anything, it's just to serve the files.
  • Is RAID necessary? The OP says that RAID usually wants the same size drives, mine are different. Also I'm guessing the drives would need to be empty to set it up, and it would be a massive pain in the arse if not impossible to try to move everything around to free up enough space to do so.
  • What do I do with the external drives? I guess I open the enclosures up to get at the drives inside and use them as internal drives? Is this a relatively painless process?
  • I don't have the physical space to put all these drives in the case, is it fine to just stick them wherever so long as I'm not moving the computer around etc?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

oh no computer posted:

My understanding is that these things can run on pretty low-spec PCs, so presumably mine is fine? i5-7400, 8gb DDR4 RAM, B250M-A (6x SATA slots, 2x M.2 slots), no GPU (but it has onboard graphics so I can use that, or run it headless I guess), 600W PSU. I also have an empty 240GB SSD that I can use as a boot drive but this would take up one of the mobo's SATA slots. Bear in mind that if I have a plex server (or equivalent) I won't be transcoding anything, it's just to serve the files.
that’d be a great NAS setup

quote:

Is RAID necessary? The OP says that RAID usually wants the same size drives, mine are different. Also I'm guessing the drives would need to be empty to set it up, and it would be a massive pain in the arse if not impossible to try to move everything around to free up enough space to do so.
unraid doesn’t need the same size, though it’s not technically raid it does have a parity drive for a bit of redundancy, the largest would become the parity drive, if you can manage to move things around enough to free up at least 2 drives you could move everything one drive at a time

quote:

What do I do with the external drives? I guess I open the enclosures up to get at the drives inside and use them as internal drives? Is this a relatively painless process?
yep exactly that, it’s easy and common

quote:

I don't have the physical space to put all these drives in the case, is it fine to just stick them wherever so long as I'm not moving the computer around etc?
yeah as long as you can live with the jankiness it’ll be fine

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
My sister and her partner have a bunch of data they want to back up, and after talking to her, it sounds like they need some type of NAS storage option. Issue is that they use Apple products- iPhone, laptop- and I have no idea what kind of options are available as I'm all PC.

Any of you goons have any recommendations for a simple product that she could use for storing all her archived data that would be compatible with a variety of Apple products?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Listerine posted:

My sister and her partner have a bunch of data they want to back up, and after talking to her, it sounds like they need some type of NAS storage option. Issue is that they use Apple products- iPhone, laptop- and I have no idea what kind of options are available as I'm all PC.

Any of you goons have any recommendations for a simple product that she could use for storing all her archived data that would be compatible with a variety of Apple products?

iCloud. Home NAS is not a true backup solution for one's important data. One house fire and it's lost.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Corb3t posted:

iCloud. Home NAS is not a true backup solution for one's important data. One house fire and it's lost.

this

although that won’t back up mac OS, at least not with time machine

you can make a pretty cheap networked time machine with a raspberry pi and an external hard drive with open media vault

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You want a combination of iCloud (which is really loving cheap for how far the storage goes) and a TimeMachine-compatible NAS. Get an off-the shelf unit; don't hack poo poo together for a home you're not it. I know Synology says it supports it, but I haven't tried it. I don't think Apple offers it as a stand-along device any more?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Isn't timemachine compatible these days anything that does cifs? My time machine docker is just an smb container with avahi turned on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Listerine posted:

As other goons have mentioned, go iCloud for anything but MacOS devices. For macos devices you want a NAS that can expose SMB3, I have used QNAP and they work fine for that purpose but Synology is also acceptable. DO NOT BUILD A CUSTOM PC FOR THIS.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SlowBloke posted:

DO NOT BUILD A CUSTOM PC FOR THIS.

yeah this, I’ve been out of the off the shelf game too long to have any decent recs

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You want a combination of iCloud (which is really loving cheap for how far the storage goes) and a TimeMachine-compatible NAS. Get an off-the shelf unit; don't hack poo poo together for a home you're not it. I know Synology says it supports it, but I haven't tried it. I don't think Apple offers it as a stand-along device any more?

I recently bought a ds923+ and can confirm it works fine with time machine. It's somewhat slow for my MacBook air to generate the delta but I haven't played around much to see if I can speed it up

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I had FreeNAS rolling as a Time Machine for what it’s worth. A turnkey solution is definitely the way to go.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-know-m2-ssds-suck-right/

Lol, bone head does not know what he is talking about. Wants U.2 to be the standard because there's more room for storage and heat sinks.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My Synology works fine for time machine too.

If you have iCloud and a mac you can just use the drive as a cloud backed up /home directory. This nullifies much of the need of time machine unless you need the versioned or installed app backups.

Before you grab both I'd just grab an iCloud sub and see if that does what you need before also spending the cash on a NAS.

Now if you want to do a home media server or something, a NAS is a great buy, but that doesn't sound like your usecase here.

Even a super cheap and not very performant Synology DS220j with no disks in it will cost you $200. You could pay for a 2 TB iCloud sub for 20 months at that much. Even longer if you factor in the costs of disks and electricity to run a NAS which I'm not going to figure out.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

LRADIKAL posted:

Lol, bone head does not know what he is talking about. Wants U.2 to be the standard because there's more room for storage and heat sinks.

He's not entirely wrong. M.2 drives are annoying to install, the PCIe5 ones seem prone to overheating, there's only room for one or two unless you start eating into the ever more limited PCIe slots for expansion cards, the connectors are only rated for some stupidly low two-digit number of insertions before they start failing, and it's not like desktop cases are running out of room for 2.5" drives.

M.2 is fantastic for laptops and SFF cases and USB enclosures, yes. But I don't really like dealing with them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LRADIKAL posted:

Cool, the two things that are more useful for a NAS than the smallest possible form factor...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It'd be cool if cases had slots in them for M2s like SD cards. That being said I'll take sticking M2's in a motherboard over 2.5" SATA drives with separate cables for power and data, this is way cleaner.