Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Decided to clean off and redo the silver paint on the metal parts for my Big O, this time with a brand-new Gundam Metallic Silver EX Marker. it is very shiny, and looks even better in-person.

the silver ex marker looks like literal chrome its so sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

the silver ex marker looks like literal chrome its so sick

I was thinking the same thing, it really does look like chrome once it dries.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Do you think silver ex would be a good substitute for those silver stickers a lot of RG kits come with? Some of mine are peeling off.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It is, I've used mine in a few kits now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

Do you think silver ex would be a good substitute for those silver stickers a lot of RG kits come with? Some of mine are peeling off.

Actually yes! It's the exact same kind of shininess by my eye at least.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

big sigh

I would have preferred fixed position hands but the kit doesn't come with them. Any good 1/100 aftermarket hands out there?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Spitfires posted:

big sigh

I would have preferred fixed position hands but the kit doesn't come with them. Any good 1/100 aftermarket hands out there?

If you've got some Tamiya extra thin cement and take some care you could make fixed hands out of those pretty easy. Guess you'd have to choose and stick with weapons if you go that route though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got a minor nitpick with the MODEROID Big O while I'm reading through the manual; Looks like the light-piping from the LED unit only lights up the eyes. Would've been cool if it did the whole transparent head section so it looks like it's gearing up to fire the Chromebuster.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SnakesRevenge posted:

If you've got some Tamiya extra thin cement and take some care you could make fixed hands out of those pretty easy. Guess you'd have to choose and stick with weapons if you go that route though.

That might even just snap back into place, I had a set of similar hands have a digit come loose and it snapped back in just fine.

In other news, the God Gundam arms I was having trouble with are both done. A small amount of glue was involved, but they're done.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mllaneza posted:

That might even just snap back into place, I had a set of similar hands have a digit come loose and it snapped back in just fine.

In other news, the God Gundam arms I was having trouble with are both done. A small amount of glue was involved, but they're done.

I thought that too but the socket is widened too much. Maybe theres a way to coat the ball slightly to make it secure again, I've seen people mention super glue to that's worth a try.

I hadn't actually thought of freezing it in a position, that could work well since I think I just need it to hold one gun.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Spitfires posted:

I thought that too but the socket is widened too much. Maybe theres a way to coat the ball slightly to make it secure again, I've seen people mention super glue to that's worth a try.

Ive used a lick of nail polish to thicken up ball joints and that worked pretty well. My Reincar kept falling apart because the torso and hips are joined by a single ball joint that was way too loose. The polish fixed it entirely.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Someone talk me down from pre-ordering the Moderoid Thunderjaw. I haven't dealt with Moderoid before - do these kinds of kits generally stick around for a while and/or get reprints? Or do I stand a decent chance of missing out entirely if I don't act fast?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It depends, since all their kits are from licenses they don't directly own. There are some older ones that took a while to get reprints or haven't at all, but their newer stuff does tend to get them frequently enough (the Dynazenon one is on I believe its third run?). Since it's from a series that doesn't really show signs of going away any time soon I'd imagine that would be true for the Thunderjaw, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

If your concern is in putting down the money right away, HLJ won't bill you until the kit comes out if you preorder through them.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 12, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I had a goddamn emotional roller coaster today. I stopped at a Half Price Books, to buy some books, but they had a bunch of Gundam models! Really cheap too! HG Silver Bullet for 10 dollars, MG Jegan for 20! But when I looked closer, I noticed that the boxes had stickers on them that said "as-is". I opened the boxes, they were all built. But then, I noticed behind the counter they had a bunch more MGs, I asked, and those were unbuilt! And one of them was a FAZZ! I asked how much for the FAZZ, they said 150. Too rich for my blood, so I thanked them and walked away. But then, and it's important to understand that HPB is not a store where you haggle, it's a nationwide chain, the price is the price, but the guy said "how much you would be willing to pay for it?" Apparently they had had these MGs for awhile and sold not a one and they take up a huge amount of shelf space for merchandise that doesn't move.

So that's how I got a MG FAZZ for 100 bucks.

If any of you live near the NASA Parkway HPB, they have a bunch more MGs left. a Full Armor Gundam, a Crossbone of some kind, a ZZ, a Wing, like four or five others I can't remember, and you can talk them down to basically MSRP.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I'm also eyeballing that kit. It looks like its way more detailed than you usually get from a kit so I'm guessing this is delivered without any color and you'll have to paint it yourself? If it came as detailed as the promo makes it seem I'd expect a heavier price tag than that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mindblast posted:

I'm also eyeballing that kit. It looks like its way more detailed than you usually get from a kit so I'm guessing this is delivered without any color and you'll have to paint it yourself? If it came as detailed as the promo makes it seem I'd expect a heavier price tag than that.

It varies from kit-to-kit with the Moderoid line, but generally speaking they will try to achieve colour separation in parts most of the time. It's typically the fiddly detail bits they give up on, so I'd say keep some metallic blue paint and some orange paint onstandby. The grey inset pieces MIGHT be part-separated, or just aolid white/grey and left for paint to fix.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it's taken awhile due to life responsibilities but I'm in the home stretch on my zaku build. did the panel lining last night and folks are right, it's incredible what a difference it makes. just gotta get the microscopic decals on and apply the topcoat and I'll be donezo, just in time for the RG sazabi that's on it's way

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big O; In PROGRESS!

So glad I painted the pistons and gold parts, they look gorgeous. I also did the red pieces on the sides of the head and the base of the pistons with a red metallic marker too for a little extra detail. It's a real simple build, but the range of movement is excellent and is about the same as in-show if that makes sense. You can even do the Chromebuster pose with both fists pressing against eachother in front of the chest.

On a side-note, the silver striping on the ribs was pre-done on the kit. I suspect/hope there might be an accessory kit or something for this one down the line, because where the Moby Dick harpoons should be are individual tabs rather than just flat-moulded into the line of the hip.

The Big O also lives up to the name and is indeed BIG. He'll be about Master Grade height like the other Moderoids by my eye, but I'd say as wide as two MG Gundams due to the arms and big stompy feet. Make sure you got some display room for this hefty lad if you get one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

RG God Gundam progress !

Basic build complete!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

cackling fuckin :lmao:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Me when I got into gunpla: Why do people have backlogs? I mean you just buy a kit and then build it easy peasy haha

Me now: Hmm maybe I should buy a new shelf it's getting crowded with all these boxes in here

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Big O; In PROGRESS!

So glad I painted the pistons and gold parts, they look gorgeous. I also did the red pieces on the sides of the head and the base of the pistons with a red metallic marker too for a little extra detail. It's a real simple build, but the range of movement is excellent and is about the same as in-show if that makes sense. You can even do the Chromebuster pose with both fists pressing against eachother in front of the chest.

On a side-note, the silver striping on the ribs was pre-done on the kit. I suspect/hope there might be an accessory kit or something for this one down the line, because where the Moby Dick harpoons should be are individual tabs rather than just flat-moulded into the line of the hip.

The Big O also lives up to the name and is indeed BIG. He'll be about Master Grade height like the other Moderoids by my eye, but I'd say as wide as two MG Gundams due to the arms and big stompy feet. Make sure you got some display room for this hefty lad if you get one.

looking great so far. did you order from hlj? I did a pre-order from Gundam Planet and haven't heard anything yet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spitfires posted:

looking great so far. did you order from hlj? I did a pre-order from Gundam Planet and haven't heard anything yet

Yeah, I get all mine through HLJ.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Finally got around to finishing this kit after leaving it for a few months. Really neat for my first RG. Noticeably more complex than the HGs I have though it didn't seem much more complex than the Digimon kits I usually build. Next step would be to stop being lazy and actually consistently sand away nibs instead of trying to polish scuff marks.

I will say though that I could feel my eyeballs inverting while I was placing all the decals.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Balache404 posted:

I will say though that I could feel my eyeballs inverting while I was placing all the decals.

Yeah, that's a thing with RGs. I've got the stickers to do on my RG God Gundam. I think I'm going to pick up another half-finished project and just bask in being finished building the thing. because that's a lot of loving stickers.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that's a thing with RGs. I've got the stickers to do on my RG God Gundam. I think I'm going to pick up another half-finished project and just bask in being finished building the thing. because that's a lot of loving stickers.

I put on most of the decals, but the tiny circles or rectangles that are just gonna get lost were too much of a pain and you can't really tell anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1657565074725249024?t=VIatXXMCXAp6NEt2eTWpkA&s=19

You know if the Michael's craft store in Canada got in on this it would make more sense.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Balache404 posted:

I put on most of the decals, but the tiny circles or rectangles that are just gonna get lost were too much of a pain and you can't really tell anyway.

Get a molotow liquid chrome or Gundam marker EX silver for stickers like those.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1657565074725249024?t=VIatXXMCXAp6NEt2eTWpkA&s=19

You know if the Michael's craft store in Canada got in on this it would make more sense.

I mean, we saw character role mattering when the show launched, with Aerials flying off the shelf, while Guel's suit was (initially) a shelfwarmer.

Of course, that lead into a period when any Witch kit sold out almost instantly, but it's leveled off enough now that you see character impact again, with Aerial, basic Lfrith, and Pharact selling as fast as they can go onto the shelves (well, the original Aerial's slowed down a bit since so many people have it already, but it's still moving nicely), while I've seen Demi Trainers on a small discount to keep them from taking up too much space on display.

Kit looks cool in the show, (or is associated with a character people think is cool) people are more likely to buy it.

I was about to say that I doubted Shaddiq was unpopular enough for that display to mean anything but that they got a new shipment in, but looking at Japanese Amazon, his kit is one of the only HG gunpla selling for less than retail. Meanwhile, all of Guel's suits are selling at a small markup.

(Of course, the new Zowort is selling for more than any other HG in the line right now just because it's cool and the supply is still limited, so it's not like the role in the show is the only thing.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This doesn't bode well for grunt kits... :saddowns::arghfist:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Michaelis isn't a grunt suit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The core problem kit-sales-wise is G-Witch is a show very much centered on the Aerial and its duels when it comes to combat. It's hard to work in some positive screentime for any other mecha that isn't a Gundam, because they just have a tendency to die in two seconds getting sliced to pieces.

The closest is maybe the earthside combat scene from a few episodes ago, when a quartet of Heavy Zoworts got to show off, or the Daribalde facing off against Aerial.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Double-posting because;

BIG O; IT'S SHOWTIME!

This thing is even taller than I thought it'd be, it's big indeed.

I grabbed my HG Clear Barbatos as I figured it'd be the most "average"-size HG within reach for comparison. The Big O's about twice the size.

Accessories are alright, you get the Cannon and Missile Party alternate chest parts, along with fixed "flat-palm" hands. There's also a teeny model of Roger Smith's car just as a simple black plastic piece on the runner, I gave the windows and front a go with the EX marker just for detailing and honestly think it turned out alright.

My favourite little detail is the kit even includes the garage in the foot :allears:. The mechanism to open the door's nice and discreet too. A little fiddly, but quite simple to jiggle the ramp out. (It's actually in both feet, as they're identical parts).

Unfortunately I don't have any LR41 batteries to-hand to show off the LED module lighting up the eyes, but I'll get another photo when I do. I will make mention that the top of the torso is basically just sitting in a groove and easy to remove (won't fall off on its own, but comes away easy when you deliberately want to lift it off), so it's easy enough to toggle the light switch on it by the feel of it. I feel they should've gone for a transparent yellow rather than just clear plastic for the eyes, because they don't pop much without the LED lighting them.

Also one more note for anyone else getting this; Use a dab of modelling glue for the bolts on top of the head. They are fidgety little fuckers that like to pop off if you so much as breath near them.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

looks awesome nj

it's decal night for the zaku and I'm hoping the weather clears up so I can go outside and spray so I can finish up

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Balache404 posted:

This is the way.

So is using a silver marker. Never do with stickers anything you could do with markers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

Michaelis is the most boring of the Begir-Beu derivatives. Even the one that's for elite (mooks Begir-Pente) is cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/nAEAXAXwxFDxlMU/status/1657601130464161793?s=20