Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

It shouldn't be that hard-- my biggest annoyance with sync is that there appears to no way as far as I can tell to tell the server to transcode and then don't delete the transcoded files until they have successfully synced.

A totally fine workflow for iOS, with its background limitations would be select some stuff, hit go, and then close the app and walk away, and it makes a best effort to keep a background process going. When I next open the app, any transfers that didn't finish should resume, the speed limited only by network connections.

What actually happens is that it has to start from scratch each time, with an unhelpful error.

I should not have to keep the device plugged in and open and unlocked for the server side transcodes to keep running and finish.
It's an iOS limitation they're just never going to gracefully deal with without a lot of work. Given the app is going to kill itself if you walk away, you have to have it prepped so it'll complete before it does.

quote:

no way as far as I can tell to tell the server to transcode and then don't delete the transcoded files until they have successfully synced
The solution is to just optimise the show to match what you want to download, and you'll not have any of the above issues.
It's so functionally close and fixes so many issues, I don't know why they don't just tell everyone to do this.

I'm assuming that this is some VC interference that the solution they give has to be "one click, like netflix!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

It's an iOS limitation they're just never going to gracefully deal with without a lot of work. Given the app is going to kill itself if you walk away, you have to have it prepped so it'll complete before it does.

The solution is to just optimise the show to match what you want to download, and you'll not have any of the above issues.
It's so functionally close and fixes so many issues, I don't know why they don't just tell everyone to do this.

I'm assuming that this is some VC interference that the solution they give has to be "one click, like netflix!"

The solution to the iOS limitation is your second paragraph, but not perpetual. "Request to sync" should be interpreted as "optimize the selected episodes and store until the client reports the sync is complete". That's a 95% solution and with a little UI work to let the user know what's happening is probably Good Enough

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

There's more going on than just what you posted. I told it to pull in 3 episodes of a show. It said it was trying, then it failed. Tried again, failed again. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Force quit app, same thing. Remove download request and re-add, same thing.

Add same show back saying I want the next 5 episodes: it downloads episodes 1, 3, and 5. 2 and 4 failed and won't redownload.

I'd love to provide debug information so they can see how I'm holding it wrong, but alas.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

The solution to the iOS limitation is your second paragraph, but not perpetual. "Request to sync" should be interpreted as "optimize the selected episodes and store until the client reports the sync is complete". That's a 95% solution and with a little UI work to let the user know what's happening is probably Good Enough
This is essentially what it used to do, but when your client is being force-terminated by it's mobile OS it breaks in unexpected ways, so downloads was the solution. K.I.S.S. made it work better for most people, most of the time.

cruft posted:

Add same show back saying I want the next 5 episodes: it downloads episodes 1, 3, and 5. 2 and 4 failed and won't redownload.

I'd love to provide debug information so they can see how I'm holding it wrong, but alas.
You can CTRL+F "download=1" in your logs to see if anything after it suggests the issue.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I downloaded a bunch of youtube videos in a folder in my TV Shows section of Plex. How do I get it to auto-play them? Plex stops after the first video.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I downloaded a bunch of youtube videos in a folder in my TV Shows section of Plex. How do I get it to auto-play them? Plex stops after the first video.

Plex thinks they’re all episodes of a singular tv show?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Plex thinks they’re all episodes of a singular tv show?

Its just showing up as random videos in the tv show section of Plex.

Guess I'll make a playlist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Its just showing up as random videos in the tv show section of Plex.

Guess I'll make a playlist.

You could also create a "YouTube Downloads" collection and tag all the videos with that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

A lot of youtube channels are actually in the TV show database.

You can also just make your own show and give it proper episode numbers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lol, I just noticed the thread title change. Thank you mods! I still need to get around to update the OP. :effort:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A lot of youtube channels are actually in the TV show database.

You can also just make your own show and give it proper episode numbers.

Failing that there’s always ZeroQL’s agent for all that entails.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because my Live TV/DVR from my HDHomeRun mostly works fine with no issues… I of course decided to gently caress around with it a ton. I already had xteve installed from trying to use it with an IPTV provider (not really worth the effort), I decided to pipe the HDHR through it along with DizqueTV so I can make some custom fake live channels for fun. It’s a shame that Plex itself didn’t capitalize on this so I’m not running a bunch of extra software to do something that’s kinda been a thing since XBMC but hey. I wouldn’t need xteve if Plex could just support more than one EPG source too, and then I wouldn’t need to use XMLTV listings to provide something I already have. But I digress.

Fun to add channels replicating Must See TV, MTV etc. Gonna start messing with channel overlays and bumpers between shows next. All this for… just me as you can’t share out of the household. But hey.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
If you running your Plex server on Windows, then don't upgrade to 1.32.1.6999 (might also be an issue on other platforms)

The new scanners and agents for both TV and Movies have some serious issues when dealing with upper and lower case, which will result in TV shows being removed from your library or new ones not added, and extras in Movies libraries being suddenly added as separate movies instead of being part of the individual movies.

A quick fix:
TV shows should have a naming standard of xxx.s01e01.xxx and NOT xxx.S01E01.xxx
Movie extras, which are normally placed "Interviews" and "Behind The Scenes" should now be placed in all lower case folders like "interviews" and "behind the scenes" etc.

I'm sure the next version will fix this and introduce some other bugs which could have been avoided by running decent tests.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

putting those vc dollars to work I see

Plex is terminal

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I remember reading in this thread about a quick way to rename a bunch of TV shows into the x.s01e01.x format

All of google results give me x.s01e01 (1).x

e: apparently none of my tv shows are setup correctly. even when I click "match" inside of plex, it already knows what the show/episode is, but everything is just one giant list of all shows mixed together alphabetically.

e: as an experiment, I followed plex's instructions and tested Band of Brothers:

\TV Shows\Band.of.Brothers.2001\season 01\Band.Of.Brothers.2001.s01e01.Currahee.720p.HDDVD.x264-hV.mkv

still just showing up as one long list with all of my other tv shows. I don't get it.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 13, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I used filebot to get everything named right initially then the arrs do the rest on new media they pull in. It's worth the 1 year license and has a Plex preset.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

code:
 TV Shows\Band of Brothers (2001)\Season 1\Band of Brothers - s01e01 - Currahee 720p HDDVD x264-hV.mkv
Is probably how I’d do that if you wanted to keep the res/source/group. I like using tvdb codes too in the folder name to guarantee matching.

Use filebot, sonaar etc for management.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Pay money for my free media collection :lol:

oh well

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You can always gently caress your files by hand instead :wave:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Aware posted:

You can always gently caress your files by hand instead :wave:

:lol: I have too many tv shows to rename, gently caress me!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I remember reading in this thread about a quick way to rename a bunch of TV shows into the x.s01e01.x format

All of google results give me x.s01e01 (1).x

e: apparently none of my tv shows are setup correctly. even when I click "match" inside of plex, it already knows what the show/episode is, but everything is just one giant list of all shows mixed together alphabetically.

e: as an experiment, I followed plex's instructions and tested Band of Brothers:

\TV Shows\Band.of.Brothers.2001\season 01\Band.Of.Brothers.2001.s01e01.Currahee.720p.HDDVD.x264-hV.mkv

still just showing up as one long list with all of my other tv shows. I don't get it.

I use this https://www.tweaking4all.com/home-theatre/rename-my-tv-series-v2/ to let me rename stuff to a consistent format. There's some work involved in the UI, but it's pretty easy, and you can edit the template string to your hearts content. I think it'll move stuff into folders too, if you are so inclined

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sonarr is free and better anyway.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonarr, my orb.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Basics first - is "TV shows" its own library, with a scanner and agent from the TV list?

This sounds like what happens when you drop TV shows into something being watched by a movies agent.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
An internet friend of mind invited me to some plex group on facebook. Sometimes there's some interesting posts but overall the level of discussion is pretty low. Filebot is a very common recommendation there and I have to think it's a "barrier to entry" thing for users who don't have very advanced setups.

At one point most of my stuff wasn't in radarr/sonarr and I just committed a night to each, going through the unmapped folders and setting them up.

To add something that isn't crapping on filebot: I finally setup traefik labels for my internal apps and made a base /etc/hosts that I append to any new machine I setup so now on my local network I can visit https://radarr, https://sonarr, https://bazarr etc. Funny part is I had really just memorized the ports for all the apps but I've wanted this as a setup for so long it doesn't change how nice it feels.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Khablam posted:

Basics first - is "TV shows" its own library, with a scanner and agent from the TV list?

This sounds like what happens when you drop TV shows into something being watched by a movies agent.

Its the only folder in my TV Shows tab

e:
oh I think you are right, how do I change this?

e: created a new library and made sure to select tv shows

It worked!!! Thanks thread.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 15, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm probably late to discussion about this, but the Chat-GPT powered playlist generator that barely functions without Tidal (and generally just returns a super surface level output) is the perfect example of Plex completely misunderstanding their userbase. It stinks so bad

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm increasingly worried about what the heck Plex is doing with access to everything on my hard drive.

That sponsored ad for the space dinosaour movie got me spooked. In an era where big banks are suddenly foreclosing on fully paid-off houses, am I okay with some company that has access to every DVD I've ever ripped partnering with an MPAA affiliate to serve me an ad?

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 15, 2023

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Plex not only doesn't collect that data, it's wholly in their best interests to not collect it in any way whatsoever. Their servers are intentionally blind to the content you have. Even the relay servers they run are E2E because maintaining plausible deniability is essential.

Moreover, your library contents are of no value. There's enough plex users that we'd all just be a representative population sample, and the most watched shows, etc, would just identically match what you'd get from trakt, people logging views on letterboxd, etc, etc.

The only question looking at user data would tell anyone is how many users pirate .. it should be fairly obvious why they will intentionally blind themselves from knowing that.

Their privacy policy sets out how they not only don't collect the data, but the design of the server prevents it from doing so. There's really only 2 scenarios where they decide to collect data
- they change the policy to collect the data
- they collect the data without changing the policy

In either case their company ceases existing as no one would touch them again, even if they survived the litigation inherent in either option.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lately my library hasn't been automatically removing movies that I delete from my file system (Clerks 3 and MK Ultra in this pic). I right click and do "Update libraries" from the Plex system tray icon but the entries remain with the trash symbol on them.

Did something change where in order to truly delete things I have to delete them from the file system via Plex's interface? I can manually go in and edit it and delete it via Plex interface, but it used to delete them automatically if I deleted them.

Edit - Figured it out, had "Empty trash automatically after scan" disabled, I know I did that for a reason but can't for the life of me remember why.

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 19, 2023

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Medullah posted:

Lately my library hasn't been automatically removing movies that I delete from my file system (Clerks 3 and MK Ultra in this pic). I right click and do "Update libraries" from the Plex system tray icon but the entries remain with the trash symbol on them.

Did something change where in order to truly delete things I have to delete them from the file system via Plex's interface? I can manually go in and edit it and delete it via Plex interface, but it used to delete them automatically if I deleted them.

Edit - Figured it out, had "Empty trash automatically after scan" disabled, I know I did that for a reason but can't for the life of me remember why.

I believe you don’t want to “Empty trash automatically after scan" because if your drives are not mounted then it will delete everything that was on the drives before from Plex and you would have to add everything again.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If anyone other than me doesn't have a lifetime Plex Pass yet they're 20% off until 5/28.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Burden posted:

I believe you don’t want to “Empty trash automatically after scan" because if your drives are not mounted then it will delete everything that was on the drives before from Plex and you would have to add everything again.

Bingo!

I booted my Plex server up with one of my SATA cards removed from the machine..

More than half of my Plex library was removed thanks to that setting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Burden posted:

It only does that if a drive with the same letter label is detected.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

If anyone other than me doesn't have a lifetime Plex Pass yet they're 20% off until 5/28.

Plexamp is dope and worth it.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Plexamp is the only thing keeping me on this godforsaken platform

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It only does that if a drive with the same letter label is detected.

That sounds very Windows-specific. I've seen this happen on a linux hosted server. The NAS wasn't mounted at startup leading to portions of the Library getting wiped. Thankfully this was while standing a new server up from backups, so I didn't lose anything but if it happens at the wrong time it can be annoying.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm thinking about the lifetime plexpass, I'm just worried the company will go bankrupt next year. I use Plex quite a bit...

I previously got suckered into a 24 Hour Fitness lifetime membership and had the yearly maintenance fee go up to over $120 a year.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm thinking about the lifetime plexpass, I'm just worried the company will go bankrupt next year. I use Plex quite a bit...

I previously got suckered into a 24 Hour Fitness lifetime membership and had the yearly maintenance fee go up to over $120 a year.

Lifetime membership with a recurring fee is a fascinating concept.

Like, I'm sure there's all kinds of subtlety that I'm just too dumb to understand, but what you describe sounds to me like a yearly membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

cruft posted:

Lifetime membership with a recurring fee is a fascinating concept.

Like, I'm sure there's all kinds of subtlety that I'm just too dumb to understand, but what you describe sounds to me like a yearly membership.

There was a class action lawsuit about it. I think I got $15 or $20 from it. :lol: