Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Just got to the first dungeon. Leadup is basically a Mario level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Augus posted:

got myself into this exact same situation, there's a little pond you can dive into right below the platform

Thanks, I don't know how I didn't see it before.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So, about the Master Sword... (spoilers, duh)

The condition was changed from 13 hearts to 2 Stamina wheels, and it seems not to have a damage rating nor durability anymore?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

So i worked my way to the Great Plateau, and went to the Temple of Time ruins and got a distress call saying they were trapped under the iron gate of the plateau. So i worked my way underground and stumbled upon Kohga still very much alive and the Autobuild for my troubles. Am i correct in assuming that I still haven't found the source of the cry for help under the iron gate? I didn't bother to go back to the temple of time ruins because lazy.

look around that building you found a bit more

EDIT: actually you went too far, the hint they gave you was “under the water behind the gate of the great plateau”

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 14, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think it's hit a really great note in that it has a relatively low difficulty floor* while also having a pretty much unlimited ceiling for people who want to push the game to its limits.

*IDK, compared to say, a Souls-like, it's definitely harder than BoTW

I don't know how much of it is "harder" and how much of it is "people not realizing how important 1 armor is when it comes to damage calculations and then running off to get their poo poo kicked in in their underwear", your game will be significantly easier if you accept "not having a set bonus", wearing your 20-armor-per-piece hylian armor and eating some bananas instead of wearing 8-armor-per-piece barbarian gear just because it's +damage

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So, about the Master Sword... (spoilers, duh)

The condition was changed from 13 hearts to 2 Stamina wheels, and it seems not to have a damage rating nor durability anymore?

don't be misled, it still basically works the same way it did in BotW and could very well have the same damage numbers as well-- it runs out of energy with use, glows in the presence of gloom enemies, probably has the same 30/60 baseline damage under the hood

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FlapYoJacks posted:

Speed runs of this game are going to be absolutely bonkers.

Hopefully they’ll look more interesting than the stasis abuse festivals that characterize BotW speedruns.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
The TTP in TotK was lightning quick and the internet never disappoints. Somewhere out there a Nintendo designer is looking at videos shocked at how this all turned out.

https://youtu.be/3_xqyIMwbew

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FlapYoJacks posted:

Speed runs of this game are going to be absolutely bonkers.

I'm almost more interested in "what meme categories people are going to come up with to force vehicle usage", right now the any% just looks like a glitchless botw run

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Hustler_One_9/status/1657333738504585217

Fake rear end fromsoft fans

Edit: wrong post

https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1657479871675727885?t=7SfDlk12JMSlF7htWrMNlw&s=19

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 14, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

don't be misled, it still basically works the same way it did in BotW and could very well have the same damage numbers as well-- it runs out of energy with use, glows in the presence of gloom enemies, probably has the same 30/60 baseline damage under the hood

Oh yeah it just broke. Come on Light Dragon, ten thousand years of keeping it in your brow and all you get is the base sword? Weakass.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh yeah it just broke. Come on Light Dragon, ten thousand years of keeping it in your brow and all you get is the base sword? Weakass.

You can still fuse stuff onto it, you know.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Also talking about rewind, found this. New meta incoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SNcR5qobuo

shut the gently caress up you can do that

thought it only worked on like, pre-determined stuff like a monster throwing something at you or rocks falling...

you can move and recall your own paths...???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Wippersnapper posted:

The TTP in TotK was lightning quick and the internet never disappoints. Somewhere out there a Nintendo designer is looking at videos shocked at how this all turned out.

https://youtu.be/3_xqyIMwbew

im a little bit worried its gonna get patched out or something somehow lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

thought it only worked on like, pre-determined stuff like a monster throwing something at you or rocks falling...

you can move and recall your own paths...???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I seriously want to know what loving magic they cast on this game that it's able to keep track of so much poo poo without exploding.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

im a little bit worried its gonna get patched out or something somehow lol

Relevant

quote:

According to Megan Fox, who served as a senior programmer on LEGO Universe (first at co-developer NetDevil and later with LEGO Group itself), the development team was tasked with making “dong detection software” to prevent players from doing the first thing many do when faced with an user-generated content opportunity. Fox called the effort, “utterly impossible on any scale.

“Players would hide the dongs where the filtering couldn’t see, or make them only visible from one angle / make multi-part penis sculptures. They actually had a huge moderation team that got a bunch of screenshots of every model, every property. YOU could build whatever you wanted, but strangers could never see your builds until we’d had the team do a penis sweep on it,” Fox continued, noting that the expense of keeping the game squeaky clean was a major concern.

“It was all automated, but the human moderators were [if I recall correctly] the single biggest cost center for LEGO Universe‘s operational costs.”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Am I blind or are there no shrines on the Great plateau? I just need a fast travel spot...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can still fuse stuff onto it, you know.

I noticed but I guess they'll break too. Unless I could fuse a diamond into the Master Sword to make it ridiculous, but I wanted to see first what a Diamond does to magic rods...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Electric Phantasm posted:

Am I blind or are there no shrines on the Great plateau? I just need a fast travel spot...

There's three of them, but two of them are underground and last one one is in the canyon way off to the northwest

the real trick is to open up as many of the in-the-sky shrines as possible since "airdropping on the spot you're headed to on the ground" is the best form of quick travel

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How do you get back to the sky islands once you're on the surface? I just realized that I haven't even attempted to get back up there. Closest I've gotten is the skyview towers, but I don't think those get you high enough to drop onto the sky islands.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

For sale used Hyrulean farm equipment.
Pick up near Gerudo Town.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rageaholic posted:

How do you get back to the sky islands once you're on the surface? I just realized that I haven't even attempted to get back up there. Closest I've gotten is the skyview towers, but I don't think those get you high enough to drop onto the sky islands.

They sky towers shoot you up higher than you think, other options are quick travelling (once you've opened up shrines on them in the first place), rewind on the chunks of rock that fall out of the sky, or building/using machines to fly higher-- a lot of the islands will tend to have equipment to build something to get to other nearby islands just sitting on them

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Some useful discoveries I've made:

Misko's Treasure caves that have clothing have cloth banners on the inside or outside on ropes

KEEP ALL YOUR FLINT and complete the Goron anomaly at bedrock cafe there's a a guy who'll accept flint in bulk for a chance at giving you 1,000 rupees

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

i put on a star on a shrine purely because i can walk in and fuse a bunch of rocket shields

A good idea honestly. I don't think there's a dlzonai dispenser in the game that has rockets as a main reward, just a few where it's a rarer drop so you still end up with a million useless lights and time bombs if you wanna stock on rockets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Found something that honestly disappointed me a little with the crafting; Carts will not lock onto minecart tracks.

Also if you haven't been to Lookout Landing in a while, go talk to Josha and follow up with her qiests to go Chasm-diving. It's very much worth it. I wasn't expecting Auto-Build to actually fill out missing pieces, or let you build from scratch, with just ore! :magical:

From a programming standpoint it's not even hard to do; All it's probably doing (napkin coding, etc) is retaining a list of prior x/y/z coordinates and rotation (maybe velocity too) for the past 30-odd seconds of activity. And it's incredibly in your favour, because it pauses when the object's stationary rather than letting it eat the past recorded interval. It's a simple bit of functionality that'll be running under the hood standardized across every object in the game.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 14, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

They sky towers shoot you up higher than you think, other options are quick travelling (once you've opened up shrines on them in the first place), rewind on the chunks of rock that fall out of the sky, or building/using machines to fly higher-- a lot of the islands will tend to have equipment to build something to get to other nearby islands just sitting on them
Oh dope, I'll have to try that! Rewind is the ability I keep forgetting I have.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
are there any other uses for gems/ore other than manually upgrading gear? just wondering if i should sell some of the stuff i have to pay for some gear upgrades, but don't want to screw my future self over

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's for upgrading gear, selling (in bulk to Gerudo in Goron city for extra rupees), the quests to forge a champion weapon(IIRC most of them are two handed garbage though), and there's a few random quests that might need a gem. But you shouldn't hoard them. Worst case scenario you need a gem and then have a little mining adventure to go on. Or go rare Talos hunting

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
When using ultra hand it is helpful to remember that normal laws of physics will quickly exert themselves when you stop to check if the monster is in the right spot below you.

https://youtu.be/iv9WBLciKbs

Also I made a neat bomb based battering ram to fight this Stalnox and everything went exactly as planned

https://youtu.be/yaHRDS-BvsI

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You will definitely need some for equipment upgrades later, if it's anything like BotW. Still, you should also just not care about that and sell some to get money in the early game, they'll be easier to come by later when you need them for something

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I seriously want to know what loving magic they cast on this game that it's able to keep track of so much poo poo without exploding.

Every object within sight has a buffer for X/y/X coordinates. You can then reverse the buffer on any given object.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Khanstant posted:

It's for upgrading gear, selling (in bulk to Gerudo in Goron city for extra rupees), the quests to forge a champion weapon(IIRC most of them are two handed garbage though), and there's a few random quests that might need a gem. But you shouldn't hoard them. Worst case scenario you need a gem and then have a little mining adventure to go on. Or go rare Talos hunting
alright, makes good sense, thanks. reminds me when i used the goddamn vending machines only to later find out you get free drops if you spend more

it's weird how the game both hits you with the most insulting tool-tips and keeps you in the dark about other parts

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just put 5 big Zonai charges into a dispenser to hopefully get more rocketss and I got so many drat small lights they were backed up into the machine dispenser ramp

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/frasier_looking/status/1657767730018234368

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
This game will easily be considered one of the greatest games of all time for open world RPGs and possibly for all games. I’m not even saying it ironically. The mechanics, execution, level of creativity they allow, all the powers, the size, etc etc. This game is a masterpiece. People have high expectations for Nintendo first party titles, and even more so for Zelda games. Nintendo knocked it out of the park and then some.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People fussing about OoT water temple ruined water temples forever. They are so scared to make us do anything with water or any kind of clever puzzle if it's a wet dungeon.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Khanstant posted:

People fussing about OoT water temple ruined water temples forever. They are so scared to make us do anything with water or any kind of clever puzzle if it's a wet dungeon.

Good

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Shrine quality is insane. The base BotW had like fifteen good shrines and then a bunch of "I dunno, bomb a wall maybe?" shrines. Here, other than the too-many combat training shrines, it's banger after banger. The solutions are often intentional comedy gold.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

This game will easily be considered one of the greatest games of all time for open world RPGs and possibly for all games. I’m not even saying it ironically. The mechanics, execution, level of creativity they allow, all the powers, the size, etc etc. This game is a masterpiece. People have high expectations for Nintendo first party titles, and even more so for Zelda games. Nintendo knocked it out of the park and then some.

1000% agree. Between this, and Elden Ring, we have a new standard for open world RPGs. And TotK is less so an RPG, but open world games in general, we are eating really good right now for this genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Korok Space Program lookin' good!