Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Yeah Security+ has a ton of crossover with Network+ material, I did mine within a month of each other and it made it much easier to get through.

I did think the Security+ exam was a lot harder though, even though I scored a lot higher on that than I did for Net+. I saw a lot of people saying it was much easier compared to Network+ but didn't feel that way at all. Still though, if you did well enough on Net+, can't imagine Sec+ will be that bad.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I thought it was easier too. Cloud+ was even easier than those too.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Handsome Ralph posted:

I did think the Security+ exam was a lot harder though, even though I scored a lot higher on that than I did for Net+. I saw a lot of people saying it was much easier compared to Network+ but didn't feel that way at all. Still though, if you did well enough on Net+, can't imagine Sec+ will be that bad.

I did feel like some of the questions on the Net+ were really badly written although I scored well above what I needed to pass. Though because they're supposed to test your working knowledge, I guess, and I'm still trying to find entry level work I may be at a disadvantage there.

That said, I've heard the PBQs on the security+ (Which I'm taking this friday) can be pretty hard. I got the one on Net+ that requires you to ping a VLAN'd network of computers to troubleshoot networking issues that nearly took me the rest of my exam to finish.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Susat posted:

I did feel like some of the questions on the Net+ were really badly written although I scored well above what I needed to pass. Though because they're supposed to test your working knowledge, I guess, and I'm still trying to find entry level work I may be at a disadvantage there.

That said, I've heard the PBQs on the security+ (Which I'm taking this friday) can be pretty hard. I got the one on Net+ that requires you to ping a VLAN'd network of computers to troubleshoot networking issues that nearly took me the rest of my exam to finish.

I thought the Net+ PBQs (in fact I think I had the one you describe) were harder than the Sec+ ones.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Honestly, I'm hoping I'll feel the same when I see them. My biggest source of anxiety around the security+ right now isn't the exam materials (they seem less broad despite the number of objectives listed) its the fact that I have no choice but to take the exam during the hours I normally sleep (yaay.. working nights) and that failure is 350 bucks that will take me time to save up again.

Even if I doubt l'll fail, I still worry that it's a possibility. At least coffee solves one problem.

Still waiting on messer to send me my voucher, though. I'm supposed to take it this Friday.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i work weekend overnights so i get it.

Security+ is at least more interesting to read through than net+ or a+. I got the Mike Meyers guide since i liked the format enough for network+ and got the video series code, so just blasting through it now before layoffs loom again come october

When i did grab it I noticed the Server+ book is mighty thin compared to the others- I figured I'd jump on it too for funsies but have very little linux experience. Didn't know how much of a prereq it'd be.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I have the server+. It's not worth much but might be enough of a resume fodder to get you an interview. It isn't going to teach you much about what actual server administration is like.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Ratmtattat posted:

I have the server+. It's not worth much but might be enough of a resume fodder to get you an interview. It isn't going to teach you much about what actual server administration is like.

That’s true of all certs though from what I can see

Trauts
May 1, 2010
I just got my A+! Now to work on my network+. Got my A+ vouchers through Per Scholas, through their free 12 week end user desktop support class. Its been valuable imo. I originally found this class from a post by forums user tokin opposition. It's really nice even if you know most of the material to have the routine to it. And, honestly, I don't think I would have taken it on my own - the two tests sucked, I'm glad that the others are all just the one. It was also good having someone else foot the bill.

Hopefully this will help me get back into IT work.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That’s true of all certs though from what I can see

I write certification courses and they are not for jobs I have ever personally had, so I can confirm.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Trauts posted:

I just got my A+! Now to work on my network+. Got my A+ vouchers through Per Scholas, through their free 12 week end user desktop support class. Its been valuable imo. I originally found this class from a post by forums user tokin opposition. It's really nice even if you know most of the material to have the routine to it. And, honestly, I don't think I would have taken it on my own - the two tests sucked, I'm glad that the others are all just the one. It was also good having someone else foot the bill.

Hopefully this will help me get back into IT work.

wish they had that for the ccna :(

Susat
May 31, 2011

Security+ done. I've finished my trifecta now.

Didn't get to take my exam on friday like I originally planned, but I wound up with my highest score on the Security+ with an 828. Not that it matters in the end, but it feels good after sweating about it for so long. Now I can hopefully focus on projects and jobsearching.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

:smugdog:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lmao that's the exact same score I got!

Do you have AWS/Cloud experience?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nope! This very was part of a cloud course I’m taking for my masters.

I have the equivalent Azure certs though.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Good stuff man, grats!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congrats! SAA certainly wasn’t one of the easier exams. What’s next?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No idea. Honestly I have too many certs at this point so I don’t need to pursue anything but if I do I think I’d hop back into the Microsoft side of things, I seem to enjoy that.

Oh, CISSP would b the big one but that’s a whole different ball of wax

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Do any of you chronic computer touchers work full remote, or is it primarily in-person touching that you're certifying for?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Unsinkabear posted:

Do any of you chronic computer touchers work full remote, or is it primarily in-person touching that you're certifying for?

I've been remote since 2017 or so.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Full remote since COVID although I visit offices by choice like once every 3-4 months.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Went full remote in March 2020 then started going back in once or twice a week when we reopened the offices in 2022. Being able to roll out of bed and be at work is great but holy poo poo I started to go stir crazy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm trying to get out of full in person desktop support :smith:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Unsinkabear posted:

I've been partially remote since 2018 (I was responsible for a data center, so I had to head in and plug things into things), but when COVID started I went full-remote and I've never looked back. gently caress commutes, gently caress offices, being able to go talk to your SO in person any time is awesome.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I passed the AZ900! Easy exam but good to get it out of the way. Im building my IT career from the ground up and am finding the basic fundamental stuff pretty useful for getting myself more up to date. Now on to Security+ and then not sure what after.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Does security architecture even count as computer touching any more? The only one I touch is my own.

Fully remote since Covid. I voluntarily go in once a month or so for events or if my CISO is in town.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rad as hell, friends, congrats to all of you. That's a way broader set of affirmatives than I was expecting.

I assume that experience and seniority both help with landing the remote roles, though. Are there any areas of touch (yes I am going to run this metaphor into the ground) that are easier to break into as a remote worker?

I'm tired of being in marketing but I'm never going back to fulltime in-person. A day or two a week in the office is doable, maybe even sensible, but no farther.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Despite having no on-prem servers and the majority of the people I support are remote, I still have to go in 5 days a week because how else would we be in meetings?

thalweg posted:

I passed the AZ900! Easy exam but good to get it out of the way. Im building my IT career from the ground up and am finding the basic fundamental stuff pretty useful for getting myself more up to date. Now on to Security+ and then not sure what after.

Even if it isn’t the most prestigious certification, every bit of knowledge helps!

I really recommend going over most of the 900 series material, even if you don’t take the exam. The SC900 in particular has quite a bit of overlap with Security+ (and IMO more useful information).

If you’re interested in networking, the material for entry level Juniper stuff is free on their site, and it’s largely vendor agnostic as it goes over core concepts (though they use Juniper and Mist in their examples).

Cyks fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 7, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If I already have professional developer experience (but no AWS experience) and I want to get AWS certification for resume reasons should I even bother with the Cloud Practitioner - Foundational cert like Amazon wants me to? Or should I go ahead and focus on Developer - Associate?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

wash bucket posted:

If I already have professional developer experience (but no AWS experience) and I want to get AWS certification for resume reasons should I even bother with the Cloud Practitioner - Foundational cert like Amazon wants me to? Or should I go ahead and focus on Developer - Associate?

If your work pays for it you can use it as a warm up and resume padder.

There’s a free training for it on the AWS learning site. If you watch those you can study for a week and pass the exam.

If it comes out of your own pocket I’d skip it. It’s a really shallow exam that only covers which AWS services provide what type of functionality.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool, sounds pretty low stakes either way. Maybe I'll knock it out for a little warm-up and an extra resume bullet point.

Edit: Just to be crystal clear, when you say:

LochNessMonster posted:

There’s a free training for it on the AWS learning site. If you watch those you can study for a week and pass the exam.

Do you mean the ~ 6 hour course where they explain all their services using coffee shop analogies? Because I already went through that. It just felt like a sales pitch and I spent half of it going, "Oh this is just X with a more confusing name."

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 8, 2023

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

wash bucket posted:

Edit: Just to be crystal clear, when you say:

Do you mean the ~ 6 hour course where they explain all their services using coffee shop analogies? Because I already went through that. It just felt like a sales pitch and I spent half of it going, "Oh this is just X with a more confusing name."

It’s been a few years since I watched that so I don’t recall the coffeeshopanalogies. It was a mostly (or completely) animated video intro.

The whole exam is aimed at (pre)sales folks or managers who sort of need to know what specific services do on a really high level but never actually have to work with it.

I watched the video, made some notes on which services do what, read some articles and took the exam. Total time spent was probably 6 hours video and 3-4 hours reviewing all the services and zooming in a bit on the ones I found difficult to remember.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cool. Sounds like I'm one more afternoon of reading away from being able to take the exam. Might as well. Thanks.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

wash bucket posted:

Cool. Sounds like I'm one more afternoon of reading away from being able to take the exam. Might as well. Thanks.

Good luck, have a look at the test questions so you’re familiar with the type of questions you’ll get. By the sound of it you’ll nail it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Kinda dumb question that I’ve been stuck on.

My title is senior network engineer, I’ve been in networking since 2017 and I want to get some certs.

I’m trying to figure out if I should go for both CCNA and CCNP, or skip CCNA?

I have looked over an outline of what’s covered by CCNA, and I feel like I could pass with a little bit of study, but I definitely have gaps in my knowledge that I’d like to fill, and I’m just not sure what study material I should use.

Basically, would I be wasting my money getting the CCNA, or would it be smart to make sure I have the foundation to do my CCNP?

If so, can anybody recommend how I might identify what I need to study for the CCNA, should I just grab a study guide and go through the whole thing to double check my current knowledge + fill in the gaps?

E: also for both CCNA and CCNP, are video courses a big help?

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you use Cisco gear? What do you want the certs for, are you looking to move jobs?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've just been laid off from my job in the marijuana industry, and I'm looking to get back into IT after being out of the loop since 2015. I started back in 1996 in a computer store and moved into contracting, with a bit of MSP work sprinkled in among a decent amount of help desk work. I got my A+ in 1998, and never really got any other certs since.
If I'm looking to get back into the field, should I focus first on retaking the A+, or just chug right past it and go for Network+ or Security+?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Organic Lube User posted:

I've just been laid off from my job in the marijuana industry, and I'm looking to get back into IT after being out of the loop since 2015. I started back in 1996 in a computer store and moved into contracting, with a bit of MSP work sprinkled in among a decent amount of help desk work. I got my A+ in 1998, and never really got any other certs since.
If I'm looking to get back into the field, should I focus first on retaking the A+, or just chug right past it and go for Network+ or Security+?

A+ and net + are only valuable for getting you a phone screen. Once you get past that their worth evaporates because you’ll then get interviewed by people who can actually evaluate if you know jack poo poo. Getting the phone screen is valuable so just get the net + because it’s cheaper and only one test

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Where do certifications usually go on a resume? Do they warrant their own section or do you just put them under "Skills"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

wash bucket posted:

Where do certifications usually go on a resume? Do they warrant their own section or do you just put them under "Skills"?

I explicitly have a certs section on mine.