Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sybot posted:

Also, are there any interesting 'evil' nations in Cannor/Escann/Dwarovar that are a bit more obscure and I might have missed?

There’s one in the Wine Bay area (I think Sorncost but not at my pc and can’t check) who is surprisingly evil. They’re all about using magic to suck life force out of the forests/peasants to fertilise their vineyards.

It is a fairly challenging run since you have to survive with Lorent blocking your expansion and wanting to eat you. I did it by no-CBing into Ourdia and Deshak

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Boek aren't purposely evil but driven to it to avoid death by colonization. You get a prophecy fairly early on that your people are fated to get wiped out by Cannorians and the rest of the mission tree is about averting that fate by any means necessary.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
There's also the formable Rezakand in Aelantir who are a bunch of genocidal crusading zealots

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

skasion posted:

All the sun elf nations are completely nuts with the nuttiest being the Jadd

Sybot posted:

(i.e. more evil than the usual imperialistic EU4 country)

The elves aren't nearly as nuts as the humans that want to do 400 years of reverse genocide as payback.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions. When my current LP ends I'll put up a poll for the next playthrough and we'll see what sort of evil the audience wants.

Wafflecopper posted:

There’s one in the Wine Bay area (I think Sorncost but not at my pc and can’t check) who is surprisingly evil. They’re all about using magic to suck life force out of the forests/peasants to fertilise their vineyards.

It is a fairly challenging run since you have to survive with Lorent blocking your expansion and wanting to eat you. I did it by no-CBing into Ourdia and Deshak

Having poked around I think that is Eilisin. It looks interesting, if maybe a bit too tricky of a start for me to be comfortable showing off a playthrough of.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Chaingrasper gets to do goblin lich things from the start but you do have to mess with the command. Greedy Grin is all about scrooge'ing it up and making a gigantic underground vault to keep your coins in. They also let you do homoncolus things from the start which is silly powerful.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

There seems to be a glitch in late-game Revolutionary France; I'm finishing out my England -> Angevin (name changed through decision; did not insta-annex France) -> France -> Revolutionary France run and I've become a Revolutionary Empire under Napoleon. I get an event that asks me to reinstate the Parliament in my tier 6 reform in exchange for a stab point... except I don't have the option to take a tier 6 reform with a Parliament, so I just re-take one of the other tier 6 reforms.

The event is on a pulse so every 2-3 months I get the same event demanding I return the parliament. I accept, get the free stab point, and... still can't choose a reform that gives me a parliament. Pick another tier, wait 2-3 months, another stab point. (Also it gives 50 admin every time)

The alternative gives -2 stab, so I guess I'm just going to keep clicking this button :shrug:

e: on the flip side, the "Institute the Bank of France" mission (which leads to the last 5 missions that give you the sweet sweet perma-bonuses) also looks like it's still bugged; it requires you to have "Franc Germinal" which (I think?) used to be in the French Ideas but no longer is.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 15, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the majapahit mission that automatically converts all tributaries into vassals is a very satisfying button to click

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I was trying out the new Japanese missions and they're kind of worse in some ways than the old ones, in terms of what claims you get - I don't think you actually get claims on Korea anymore or on hawaii.

It kind of incentivises a weird meta of uniting Japan but not immediately forming the tag, so you can use more of the old missions first.

The DLC is interesting but it's kind of weird to revisit all these tags that got MTs 1 or 2 years ago instead of doing ottomans + middle east / Iranian regions , given that area (plus central + south america) are really the only places left that haven't had an overhaul with MTs etc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Seems like the 3.21 missions shy away from giving you claims, sometimes, idk if that's to encourage picking something like espionage ideas or something

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Red Bones posted:

I was trying out the new Japanese missions and they're kind of worse in some ways than the old ones, in terms of what claims you get - I don't think you actually get claims on Korea anymore or on hawaii.

It kind of incentivises a weird meta of uniting Japan but not immediately forming the tag, so you can use more of the old missions first.

The DLC is interesting but it's kind of weird to revisit all these tags that got MTs 1 or 2 years ago instead of doing ottomans + middle east / Iranian regions , given that area (plus central + south america) are really the only places left that haven't had an overhaul with MTs etc.
Yeah, it’s really weird, and many of the reworked mission trees seem somehow less plausible than before.
And kind of really Orientalist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There's a semi-official leechman submod for anbennar now which is really good if you like HoI4 the New Order style doomed nations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Terrible Opinions posted:

There's a semi-official leechman submod for anbennar now which is really good if you like HoI4 the New Order style doomed nations.

i haven't played hoi4, what does that mean?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New Order is an antifascist “Nazis win WW2” mod where Germany and many other countries are almost guaranteed to collapse into hell, and the fun is the journey, not in getting stronk

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

i haven't played hoi4, what does that mean?
The leechmen have a very large detailed mission tree that will inevitably end in you collapsing to an opm. The question being how long you hold out and how many other countries you depopulate along the way. The leech father hungers.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Sybot posted:

Also, are there any interesting 'evil' nations in Cannor/Escann/Dwarovar that are a bit more obscure and I might have missed?

Silverforge. You might destroy the planet with pollution but you will be rich while doing it.

Vertesk. Number one slave trader in the Empire.

Asheniande. Vampires.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sybot posted:

A question for people who've played more Anbennar than I have. I'm looking for nations with a more villainous bent (i.e. more evil than the usual imperialistic EU4 country), but so far I've only really played in Cannor/Escann and the Dwarovar. There are some obvious answers that I'm aware of, like the Black Demesne, Aelnar, anyone with Vampires, but what does Haless and Aelantir (eta: and Sarhel I guess too, including the in-development version) have to offer in that regard? Also, are there any interesting 'evil' nations in Cannor/Escann/Dwarovar that are a bit more obscure and I might have missed?

frosthide forms skurkokli, a country whose founding principle is eating everyone on the planet

obsidian legion don't have full content yet but they're a bunch of insane dwarves who dig their way up from the planet's core to ruin everything

obrtrol enslaves basically everyone north of gawed

tugund darakh destroys most of cannorian civilization to avenge a big tree that got cut down like 2000 years ago

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Tugund Darakh got buffed at some point with a bunch of custom military units and more likely necro mage rulers/heirs which leads to a very fun - but still hardmode - evil game. Their evil is more based around working with the Fae to regrow the great forests and nourish them with blood.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 17, 2023

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Obrtrol isn't any more evil than the other caste-based societies in the game. They even stop eating people after they demonsterify.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Obrtrol is funny because all the low tier mission flavor texts are are like “TROLL EAT SCRAWNY MANS. EAT MANS GOOD” and the high tier missions flavor texts are flowery quotations from the memoirs of G. Reginald Trollingham III, Esquire

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anbennar is so good

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

the majapahit mission that automatically converts all tributaries into vassals is a very satisfying button to click

this button owns because you don't have to waste it on your piddly little starting dudes, you can get enormous tributaries and then convert them

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sybot posted:

A question for people who've played more Anbennar than I have. I'm looking for nations with a more villainous bent (i.e. more evil than the usual imperialistic EU4 country), but so far I've only really played in Cannor/Escann and the Dwarovar. There are some obvious answers that I'm aware of, like the Black Demesne, Aelnar, anyone with Vampires, but what does Haless and Aelantir (eta: and Sarhel I guess too, including the in-development version) have to offer in that regard? Also, are there any interesting 'evil' nations in Cannor/Escann/Dwarovar that are a bit more obscure and I might have missed?

Roadwarriors takes getting used to, but once it gets rolling the playthrough is lots of fun.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

skasion posted:

Obrtrol is funny because all the low tier mission flavor texts are are like “TROLL EAT SCRAWNY MANS. EAT MANS GOOD” and the high tier missions flavor texts are flowery quotations from the memoirs of G. Reginald Trollingham III, Esquire

The ones written by a (presumably human?) Noblewoman who has married into troll nobility and is now 100% pro-troll are really funny.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jazerus posted:

this button owns because you don't have to waste it on your piddly little starting dudes, you can get enormous tributaries and then convert them

Unfortunately it's a prerequisite to the missions which give you the really good CB on the big guys

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Verkal Ozovar is also a secretly evil as gently caress tree. Dwarven OPM in Haless that has plans to create a vassal swarm by turning the myriad temple complexes across the region into mind control pylons.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Verkal Ozovar is also a secretly evil as gently caress tree. Dwarven OPM in Haless that has plans to create a vassal swarm by turning the myriad temple complexes across the region into mind control pylons.

how evil they are is pretty dependent on whether you cede total control of your country to the crazy ghost

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Unfortunately it's a prerequisite to the missions which give you the really good CB on the big guys

this is true but you can use it to do some wild things outside of your mission tree's intended progression. on my majapahit run i snagged vijay as a tributary -> vassal after they ate poo poo against bahmanis, way too much warscore to vassalize outright but just barely within tributary range. depending on what medium-sized tags end up existing around the time you want to press the button you could go pretty nuts with it

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Steam / EU4 really needs a better way of managing achievements. I want to be able to pin the ones I’m doing in game, or hide the ones I’m never going to do.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
today i learned that being vassalized does not cause the emperor of china to lose the mandate

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks to Sybot's great LP, I've been trying out Anbennar. However, I stopped playing EU after 3 so this is really my first go at this game since launch. I know the wisdom is to play vanilla to relearn all the new mechanics, but I'm skipping that because I think I'm smart.

I do have a question about development though: Should I constantly be up-devving my provinces? Should I only do this when I need to for a mission or something? I'm not sure if this is like, a process I should be doing regularly or only when I need to. I'm playing Ovdal Lodhum because it was in a similar area to Sybot's LP so I'd be more familiar with the basics, and I'm making only a fraction of what he was during the same time period, but that's to be expected for a novice player I suppose. Just don't know the rhythm of developing provinces yet.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

RubricMarine posted:

I do have a question about development though: Should I constantly be up-devving my provinces? Should I only do this when I need to for a mission or something? I'm not sure if this is like, a process I should be doing regularly or only when I need to. I'm playing Ovdal Lodhum because it was in a similar area to Sybot's LP so I'd be more familiar with the basics, and I'm making only a fraction of what he was during the same time period, but that's to be expected for a novice player I suppose. Just don't know the rhythm of developing provinces yet.

In general (including in vanilla EU4), developing isn't usually cost-effective unless you can stack positive cost modifiers. Under most circumstances it is cheaper and easier to conquer more land than develop what you have in the early game, and developing should be saved for when you have an excess of points to spend. Once you have ideas, development efficiency from tech and so on, it starts to become more viable.

Specifically to Anbennar, the holds and mission provinces are the only things you want to develop early on. Most of the Serpentspine gets negative development cost modifiers, although late game the rail provinces get really good for it once the rails come back online. You should only develop your hold, and then only to the point where you can upgrade it to the next level. Hovering over the hold depth modifier on the province will tell you what that number is. There is also the additional complication of needing to fund colonies. In the LP I managed to get a bunch of colonist bonuses from the initial adventurer tree, but I'm not sure if the Ovdal Lodhum tree has any specific bonuses of its own. As you colonise, make sure to turn each province into a state, and beat up anyone you encounter, whether they are greenskins or fellow dwarves, for their land and money. The economy really comes online once you have unified the region.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
In addition to what the poster above me said, the other time it may be useful to develop is to speed up the spread of institutions. Each time you develop, the province gains a few more percent progress towards gaining un-adopted institutions. Sometimes that's the only way to get the institution before it super slowly spreads your way naturally, giving you a big advantage vis a vis your neighbors and keeping you from falling behind Europe/Cannor.

This is especially useful in Asia/Haless or the New World.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Even in Europe I'll dev the institutions that look like they'll take forever to reach me

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I managed to muddle through without development most of the time, so it's not a must thing you need to do.

But yeah everyone already gave a decent explanation for it. For dwarves you want to develop until you unlock the next level of hold upgrade. Remember that you can only manually upgrade your capital hold. Also remember that it takes for loving ever to upgrade it, so make sure you do whatever you need to do with it first. Like building a fort and ramparts.

There's also some missions that expect you to do development to get an institution. Like for example one of the first Sareyand missions in Bulwar want you to get 30 development and get Renaissance institution in your capital. Which is close to what you need more or less to force it to show up there.

As for economy, I would say it depends on what your primary source of income is. If it's trade, then you'll only really start to get a lot of money when you dominate the local trade node and can suck up most of the wealth in it. One thing to remember for trade is that you can upgrade your trade nodes to at least level 2 all of the time, you can also upgrade infrastructure, and increase development.

Personally I would also recommend save scumming in Anbennar. Too much of that poo poo is RNG dependent. Like if you're not a well established major player that can brute force through bad RNG, it can really sink you a lot of the time.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
If you are planing Anbennar I'd recommend the sub-mod that adds in a ton more monuments. Some of them are a little OP, but its Anbennar where everything is OP so whatever. Adds a lot more flavor and good bonuses for taking more holds since they all get a unique monument.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only thing I don't get right now about serpentspine is the Marrhold. It's actually good that it's cutoff from serpentspine trade routes, otherwise you'd just be leaking more trade into Escann.

I have no idea why any of the dwarves would want to restore it outside of some stupid self destructive obsession with the past.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lostconfused posted:

The only thing I don't get right now about serpentspine is the Marrhold. It's actually good that it's cutoff from serpentspine trade routes, otherwise you'd just be leaking more trade into Escann.

I have no idea why any of the dwarves would want to restore it outside of some stupid self destructive obsession with the past.

To be fair, "stupid self destructive obsession with the past" is arguably the foundation of most Serpentspine gameplay!

(Last I checked, there's a mechanic in the works to represent a Dwarven-run Marrhold Tunnel with strict export controls, using clever trade value modifiers.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That sounds cool.

But I think just splitting the trade flows like this might also work well. It would certainly give everyone an incentive to fight over control of trade nodes in the area

Really though Serpentspine is probably one of the coolest parts of the mod I've seen so far. It starts out really fun. But I would love it if it got a fleshed out end game. Where you form some kind of federation or empire of holds spanning the entire mountain range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's exactly what reforging the Dwarokron and reforming Aul-Dwarov is meant to be (coming soon TM).