Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
drat, those are impressive.

Now I almost want to see a "Thin your paints" version. :v:

Edit: GREAT time for a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Painted up a few of the minis from the board game. The Conan is just for scale.

Ah, dual swords, yes. Very good against Barroth.

These look great.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Painted up a few of the minis from the board game. The Conan is just for scale.

These are rad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so uh, i've put almost 20 hours into MHDos now, i guess i can't deny any longer that i'm kinda vibing with it. the game is incredibly unique so i just wanna write down some thoughts about it before BotW2 consumes my life

MHDos is so unique that I borderline want to say that it does not feel like a Monster Hunter game. Sure it's a game set within the framework of the monster hunter engine and gameplay, but the experience and vibe of the game is very different from the other games. In short, it's going for a much more hardcore survival game and village builder direction and it radically changes how you approach the game and gameplay. You start the game with nothing - and I mean nothing - you don't even get any armor and you're forced to hunt in your underwear with your supplied sword & shield until you can scrounge together the materials and money to get yourself some clothes. This isn't just the game being mean but a thematic narrative that starts with the opening cutscene; Jumbo village is basically nothing but a dream, some dirt and some planks and the story is about how you and the village hunt, gather and build your way into being an ace hunter and a proper village respectively.

Everything is deadly. A single hermitaur crab on the jungle beaches can deal half of your health in a single blow so you need to be extremely careful. The small monsters are also much more plentiful than later games in addition to being much more deadly - you'll frequently find small zones populated by as many as 5 Velocipreys or Blangos at a time in addition to the large monster which perhaps doesn't sound like much but they cut this number down to a max of 3 in the later games for a reason. You will get swarmed and you will die. The small monsters have much bigger health pools and are much more aggressive than in later games too and will typically begin charging you the moment you step into a zone so dealing with them becomes one of your biggest tasks even when you're just out to gather. This also ties in with the season system and during the breeding season some monsters will respawn indefinitely, making hunting or gathering in those zones incredibly dangerous.

Seasons. MHDos has two systems that never made it into any other game in the series - a seasonal cycle and a day/night cycle. Any time you're in the village the realtime clock is ticking and similarly when you go out on a quest the time will advance until the next morning/evening. This isn't just a visual thing like in the later games and instead it dictates everything that you can do. What areas you can go to, what monsters are available, what items you can gather, all tied to the season and hour. Some maps are blocked off entirely during certain season, like the desert during the warm season (with the explanation that it's too hot to go there) and this also blocks your access to all the monsters and materials found in that map. If you were farming Cephadrome for its armor you'd best hope you're able to get all the materials during the warm season or else you'll have to wait until next year rolls around because that's the only time you can fight it. The maps themselves also change depending on what time of day it is with changes like the swamp being filled with pools of poison during the nighttime.

The progress. As you might imagine this time and season mechanic forces a certain pace upon the game, since sometimes you simply cannot progress the game. It's a very slow game already - it took me something like 8 hours of gathering and grinding before I was strong enough to take on the equivalent of 2-star quests. I say the equivalent because another thing MHDos does differently is the quest structure - you don't have the traditional 1/2/3/4, etc. star quest list with key quests and urgent quests and instead you progress the game entirely through villager requests. All the progress comes from you helping to build the village by gathering materials, including plants, minerals and of course also monster materials and fulfilling requests that the various villagers have for you. The game doesn't have any gathering tours or similar, instead it has a unique Subquest system that you're intended to use for smaller tasks. For example when you unlock the desert it's quite possible that you're not actually strong enough to take on any of the large monsters, so what you do is pick one of those quests without the intention to hunt the large monster, do your gathering and then complete one of the subquest goals (typically killing small mobs, gathering certain materials, etc.) and end the quest that way.

There are many small things that makes the game slower and more difficult as well - there is no equivalent of a farm or trader which basically means that every mega potion you drink was an herb, blue mushroom and honey that you went out and gathered by hand. Armor Spheres didn't exist yet and you upgrade your armor by - you guessed it - gathering more materials. This also costs a lot of money. Everything costs a lot of money and you're always forced to choose between what you want to spend it on. The game forces you to ration quite severely too and you can't just gather whatever you'd like "in case you'll need it later" like you can in the other games. The item box has an entire one (1) page at the start of the game and items don't stack to 99 like in later games, instead only stacking as far as your inventory can hold them (typically 10 or even less). That means 90 potions will take up 9 spaces in your item box, a huge chunk of the one page you have. Additionally, everything you get on a quest including the quest rewards has to fit in your (2-page) inventory so if you don't have the space to hold your quest rewards you'll be forced to sell them. There is no such thing as "send to box" in the game. Inventory management both in quests and in town are a noticeable part of MHDos and you'll always be considering whether you really need something and if you can spare the space.

All of this is of course in addition to the overall 2nd gen jank and the notorious analog stick weapon controls, but I feel like those things make a very small impact compared to how different everything else feels. The vibe is very unique. Everything feels punishing bordering on sadistic, with an overall mantra of "nature is harsh". Even something as simple as farming a monster to sell the parts for money is penalized - the more you hunt it the lower the prices for the materials go. MHDos is just filled with these kinds of systems to make you feel like you're always struggling and it feels like this is the core concept of the game, setting it apart from the other Monster Hunter games. It's a completely unique experience but you have to approach it on different terms than the other games and I think it's safe to say that it's not gonna be an enjoyable game for everyone. In closing I think the game is very interesting and a look into a different direction for the series, but it's not your typical monhun.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 11, 2023

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
as an addendum here's a clip from my first file before i decided to reroll a fresh save, spending a full minute to kill a single bullfango. enjoy

https://i.imgur.com/sPInV8q.mp4

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
That actually sounds pretty cool, a glimpse at a totally different direction the series could have taken.

You mentioned a lot of the game is about villager requests and upgrading the village, what sort of effects does that have? Do you actually unlock new facilities and upgrade services, or is it that side of it just the story?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

That actually sounds pretty cool, a glimpse at a totally different direction the series could have taken.

You mentioned a lot of the game is about villager requests and upgrading the village, what sort of effects does that have? Do you actually unlock new facilities and upgrade services, or is it that side of it just the story?

you do! one of the biggest upgrades for me was when the peddler granny began visiting because of the village's newfound reputation - this was huge because she sells the organizer guide which doubles your item box capacity all the way up to an entire 2 pages :woop: i know upgrading the tavern gave me more ways to sort through quests, like looking up quests per monster type etc. the hunting instructor who gives you weapon tutorials expands his business to include the game's equivalent of arena quests but of course they have a MHDos twist as well - you have two types, the arena style exercises and the hunting style exercises. arena is what you expect, but the hunting style ones follow the same idea as arena quests (predetermined loadout of equipment and items) but take place in a regular map and has you do target monsters and subquests for points and provisions. the point system gives you extra points for things like breaking parts or not using items, while it penalizes you for doing things like healing. oh and all the exercises have a 1-cart limit so if you cart you fail.

the town also goes through visual upgrades and everything you do in-game is explained in a way that ties into the village, for example unlocking new maps always comes from someone from out-of-village telling you about them. new hunting grounds, new monsters, etc. all ties into village progression and people actually telling you about or requesting that you hunt a monster or visit a map so it's remarkably immersive in that way compared to all the other games.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
now play monster hunter 2004

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

now play monster hunter 2004

i know this is a shitpost but i still feel compelled to reply - i'm familiar with the first game and that's precisely why dos is so intriguing. while the first game definitely has a lot of the same difficulty, it's still very recognizably monster hunter right from the start. you're the new hunter, here's the chief with the quest list, do your key quests get your urgents, progress the game. it's rough around the edges and janky but it's still remarkably true to form and feels like a monster hunter game from the start.

dos took that base and tried to experiment with it quite radically with all the added systems and immersion and what's interesting is they went back on all of these experimental changes (possibly due to the bad reception) on the very next game released. Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite are much more in line with modern monster hunter games in how they are designed, and although i used to think that MHFU was a mean-spirited and janky old game i'm actually kinda shocked after playing MHDos and realizing that the devs practically bent backwards to make the game much friendlier, full of quality of life changes, much less punishing than what dos had been. in terms of vibes MHFU is practically a theme park next to the 'nature is harsh' vibes of MHDos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd be down for that game with the contemporary monster roster + control scheme. I don't think you could have hunter arts in that kind of game but a more survivalist or slow grind game would be very cool.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

In Training posted:

I'd be down for that game with the contemporary monster roster + control scheme. I don't think you could have hunter arts in that kind of game but a more survivalist or slow grind game would be very cool.

I too am playing Dos at the same time as Your Computer (hi), and I can give you one of those things.

This is a patch you can apply with xdelta patcher that gives you controls in line with Freedom United. The weapon combo paths are a bit different from modern, but frankly the weapons are all different too.

I played my first four hours without it and I will say you do get used to the stick controls. The patch is reduces some of my frustrations though.

I'd like to chime in and agree with all of what Your Computer said--Dos is incredibly unique, with such a strong emphasis on survival and resource management.

It actually is possibly one of the most immersive games I've played in the series --none of the other games, even world, come close. There really is something about being forced to follow the seasons and breeding/migration patterns of the world, a feeling of actually being a hunter trying to build stuff up from nothing.

There is more sense of community and character in this game than any other game--4u comes closest, I think, but the villagers here are always talking, always asking for parts/materials, and all of them really create the narrative. There are not many narrative cutscenes like 4u--what there are are people who's attitude towards you gradually warms up. Villagers asking you to complete a quest is told to you as them trusting you will finally stay.

My favourite example of this is the woman who walks around carrying a basket on her head. When you first arrive, she is mocking--she says she won't even learn your name, you're just hunter number 10. They all leave, and she knows you will too. As you complete requests and stick around, her tone shifts to disbelief--youre really staying, aren't you? Until finally she's giving you tips about the request system and encouraging you, until she believes you really will stay and help the village.

Sorry Guildmarm, I have a new favourite NPC.

The game goes out of its way in a lot of ways to keep you from grinding the same monster, even if you'd like to. It knows money is tight, so you're penalized trying to skip it forward--sleeping in bed costs money, more for the more time passed. It feels like an option there for people who've reached the end, but at the beginning of the game it has been genuinely hard for me to justify when I can just go hunt something else and get money and resources from that towards my next weapon or armor or a villager request.

As Your Computer said, monsters reward less because you're flooding the market. The mobs actually change between night and day, making it so you genuinely don't want to fight some of them at certain times--breeding season in the desert during the day is often full of herbivores that are easier to dispose of, but at night it's a nightmare of cephalos screaming, gendromes, and hermitaurs that make every fighting area awful.

Also, I cannot state this enough, the music in Dos is incredible. Even if you never try it yourself, you owe it to yourself to listen to the music. It changes with seasons and monsters and time of day, and at all times it's just wonderful.

If any of what Your Computer or I said sounds compelling, I'd really recommend you try the game with the Breaks Arts translation patch, even if you choose to use cheats to get through, because there really is nothing else like it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished my Kushala Daora. He's big.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

kinda looks like he's about to vomit into that trash can

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished my Kushala Daora. He's big.

Big lad, very shiny

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m loving the new decorations if only for the fact that I can now get ear plugs 5 without having to set my entire build around it.

It’s probably not the best skill, and I’m gonna miss my Slugger/Free Meal talisman but the quality of life improvement alone is worth it.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I can't fight any monster without earplugs 4 it's such a QoL staple for me. Is there a new higher tier one that unlocks with certain anomaly materials?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BitterAvatar posted:

I can't fight any monster without earplugs 4 it's such a QoL staple for me. Is there a new higher tier one that unlocks with certain anomaly materials?

Just use three levels of Defiance once you get access to Gold Rathian. It can go up to level five, but even level three gives you the equivalent of max earplugs/wind resist/tremor resist and +10 defense when a monster is angered, and it's on a 1-slot deco.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BitterAvatar posted:

Yeah, in other games high earplugs and wind resistance always felt pretty important for master rank, and it feels even more important with how much more common combos are in this game. The friends I play with are learning this the hard way and getting very salty.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Painted a Pukei-Pukei. Only two monsters from the Wildspire Wastes to go.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Painted a Pukei-Pukei. Only two monsters from the Wildspire Wastes to go.

The best Mon we have in world. Love how bright you painted him, he must be a young baby

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I assume you aren't counting dodogama because he's too good to hunt

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Pukei is my favourite non elder monster from world. Dodogama is cute, but Pukei is better.

If we include elders, when do we get Namielle back Capcom!!!!!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

felgs posted:

legitimately crazy that they'd design and create such an incredible new elder dragon and then not even put it in the next game

here's kushala and teo again tho :)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

felgs posted:

Pukei is my favourite non elder monster from world. Dodogama is cute, but Pukei is better.

Mine is Bazelgeuse. I just love that screamy WW2 bomber.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Did 1000 armor augments yesterday looking to put mail of hellfire on a heaven sent build and didn’t see it even once. Thanks Desire Sensor!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

legitimately crazy that they'd design and create such an incredible new elder dragon and then not even put it in the next game

I agree with you but I can understand why they didn't. Rise doesn't have a zone that matches her, visually, except for Narwa's coral castle arena and limiting Namielle to one arena wouldn't be very fun.

They couldn't put her in Frost Islands, Flooded Forest, Lava Caverns, or the Jungle because her floor slime would be invisible in the water and just having her electrify all the water in their watery bits probably wouldn't be very fun. She doesn't fit in Shrine Ruins or Sandy Plains, the Citadel, or the Forelorn Area.

Just like Namielle really completed the Coral Highlands, she herself would feel kinda out-of-place without them. You could absolutely design an area she'd work well in that wasn't the highlands, but the area would have to have been made with her in mind and none of Rise's maps were.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone else playing on Steam Deck get significantly worse performance in Elgado and the first Sunbreak map than in the base game? The base game has been very smooth, but now that I've made it to Sunbreak, it looks like performance has become a lot worse. The fan starts going all-out, temps go up to 80-85°C and even though it stays at 60 fps, something feels off - like the frame pacing is no longer consistent. This is at default ("average") settings that I also haven't changed between finishing HR and starting MR.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Badly Jester posted:

Anyone else playing on Steam Deck get significantly worse performance in Elgado and the first Sunbreak map than in the base game? The base game has been very smooth, but now that I've made it to Sunbreak, it looks like performance has become a lot worse. The fan starts going all-out, temps go up to 80-85°C and even though it stays at 60 fps, something feels off - like the frame pacing is no longer consistent. This is at default ("average") settings that I also haven't changed between finishing HR and starting MR.

Are you playing modded? and what Proton are you using? I had to switch to GE-Proton for sunbreak because the default compatibility layer would not player nice with reframework and cause all sorts of hitching issues in the framerate.

(currently using GE-Proton7-55 I update every couple of months to the latest)

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Silver Falcon posted:

Mine's Anjanath, but I hate how they did the Juice dirty from Iceborn onward. I loved hearing his theme just come in during a fight and just invade the poo poo out of you.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 14, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Agreed, Bazel was my favorite invader by far

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think any monster has a better roar

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Silver Falcon posted:

:same:

He was the first thing to three-cart me in World and as such I have sworn a blood rivalry against him forever.

Plus his theme just whips so much rear end.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Namielle and Velkhana were both phenomenal elder additions in world and I’m so happy we got at least one of them in Rise though I would have preferred Nami. So sooooooo freaking cool!!!

Pukei and Bagel are my favorite non elders which seems to be the popular opinion. Bagel’s wooo noises during a knockdown are adorable lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

All I hear is human Bender

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Just fought risen Kush for the first time, well before I unlocked his quest. Doing him in anomalies first! I'm now tempted to refuse to raise my MR with the level 100 cap and just do all equipment farming in anomalies , if that's at all possible.

I also just got through doing flaming espinas in anomalies and it went real bad til I finally soloed him. Everyone, including me, would randomly mess up against his giant aoe. And its annoyingly programmed to hit a final time and cart you through moxie.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

All I hear is human Bender

This is the exact thought I had too first time

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

I agree that MHDos was a *very* unique game and it makes it very clear that you are a *hunter-gatherer*, you have to get almost everything (including most of your own food items for cooking) by hand and while this takes a while to do it also makes every item you get feel like one more step towards winning that extremely hard quest or getting a good weapon and armor set without anything getting handed to you like how the later games absolutely showers you in items and materials for not much work.

It's a difficult game, especially if you can't read Japanese (like me :v: ) but since it's gameplay isn't that different from MH1's it was pretty easy to figure it out.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

trevorreznik posted:

Just fought risen Kush for the first time, well before I unlocked his quest. Doing him in anomalies first! I'm now tempted to refuse to raise my MR with the level 100 cap and just do all equipment farming in anomalies , if that's at all possible.

I also just got through doing flaming espinas in anomalies and it went real bad til I finally soloed him. Everyone, including me, would randomly mess up against his giant aoe. And its annoyingly programmed to hit a final time and cart you through moxie.

Moxie feels very depreciated in rise, especially in MR, since a ton of things combo you and two shot way more than one shotting.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Other games just tell you khezu is a delicacy, but in MH Dos you can put a khezu whelp in a maka/fermentation pot for 5-10 minutes and have fresh pickled khezu! Yum!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Koorisch posted:

It's a difficult game, especially if you can't read Japanese (like me :v: ) but since it's gameplay isn't that different from MH1's it was pretty easy to figure it out.

the only reason I'm playing it now is because it's fully translated, and it's still a doozy!