Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Idk most trans spaces I've been and been a part of are incredibly supportive of folks that were unsure, gave their gender a good hard think, and figured out at the end that they weren't trans. The people who gave it a go and determined that it wasn't right for them tend to be fantastic allies because they are some of the few cis people who have actually experienced gender dysphoria.

The few that go from "I am not trans" to "trans people not real" however are attacked with extreme ferocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Idk most trans spaces I've been and been a part of are incredibly supportive of folks that were unsure, gave their gender a good hard think, and figured out at the end that they weren't trans. The people who gave it a go and determined that it wasn't right for them tend to be fantastic allies because they are some of the few cis people who have actually experienced gender dysphoria.

The few that go from "I am not trans" to "trans people not real" however are attacked with extreme ferocity.

Yeah, I'm thinking more what folks, trans folks or allies, say when they're communicating with outsiders to the community, though sometimes that gets internalized.

I'm highly skeptical of the ones who are detrans and are then using that story to vilify all trans people and allies and/or who literal just become anti-trans lobbyists. They're up there with the ex-gay anti-gay movement, which were constantly held up to hold back progress on gay rights. Same tactics and ways of storytelling/advocating too, same pro-conversion therapy talk. I too haven't seen hostility from trans people either to genuine detrans people who are just trying to figure their stuff out, but I think a healthy skepticism of detrans is fair when so many trans people are forced to detransition or hide due to legal or societal threats.

The reality is that there's way more pressure to not be trans than to be trans. And it's rich to see the right-wing claim LGBTQ people are "converting their kids" while they were up there actively advocating for conversion therapy against trans kids to make them not trans.

All that just the same, I hate how apologetic LGBTQ people in general are supposed to be about our own existence. Our narratives have to be "we wouldn't want your kids to be LGBTQ", "we're not trying to convert your children", "we would NEVER choose to be anything but cishet, who would!?" When in reality, I'd love my son if he turned out straight more than any of those monsters would love their gay kid, but it'd still be cool to have gay kids as a gay parent. Because being these things is just a way of being, and not a tragedy.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 14, 2023

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This low key genocide is why i get really mad when i see people treat this entire thing as just a debate, and if it passes well thats democracy

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

This low key genocide is why i get really mad when i see people treat this entire thing as just a debate, and if it passes well thats democracy

And so much of the media out there has legitimized genocidal language around trans people, that their very right to exist is a matter of opinion. I think folks seeing this bill pass and nothing else aren't aware of the dynamics of how the legislative process played out. 6 years ago you had Republican Speaker Straus saying he would never allow a bathroom bill to pass because he couldn't live with the blood of a transgender child on his hands. 2 years ago we saw no appetite for a bill banning gender-affirming care for trans kids, even though we were already seeing things creep there post-Obergefell with bills to push trans people out of public spaces.

Past bills had them just being like "yeah that sucks for trans kids, but I'm alleging this is about all the other kids and stopping men pretending to be trans." This one had them lying about acting in the best interest of trans kids by just taking away their medical care and offering "mental health treatment" (conversion therapy) to make them not trans. It was not even "we hear trans people, we just don't care..." It was like "we don't hear them, and if we do acknowledge them, it's that they're violent insane creatures grooming children or mentally ill kids being groomed by perverts". They only listened to detrans lobbyists and denied every opportunity to speak to trans kids and their families. You literally had legislators sharing a photo Leach took of a trans woman in the gallery who had bent over and her underwear had accidentally shown - that was viewed as good on that side.

The bill is a nightmare for trans kids, but I'm surprised that somehow the way the legislature treats trans people they interact with got even worse. And I don't know what the gently caress trans people and people who care about them are supposed to do. They can't get meetings with legislators, they can't testify because they rig the hearing, medical associations and literally any and all experts on their issues get called pedophiles and liars (bill author repeatedly said he did not care what the AMA/AAP says), and trans people get beat up and kicked out when they peacefully protest.

Since 2017, I've watched trans kids and their families show up calmly and peacefully and kindly to the Capitol basically every week and have their lives made worse every single session. I have no patience anymore for people who lecture trans people about respectability politics when their opposition says out loud they think trans people need to be converted out of being trans.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 14, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

And I don't know what the gently caress trans people and people who care about them are supposed to do.

I left, and I think anyone with the privilege and means to do so should as well.

The game has changed because now state institutions are being proudly used to push anti-trans bigotry. I don't take hormones and I "pass" as cis, but I have a kid and I cannot accept the risk that some rear end in a top hat sees me wearing polish and a pride pin and suddenly I have to "prove" to a Paxton-acolyte at CPS that I'm not "grooming" my son or any of his friends by existing.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I left, and I think anyone with the privilege and means to do so should as well.

The game has changed because now state institutions are being proudly used to push anti-trans bigotry. I don't take hormones and I "pass" as cis, but I have a kid and I cannot accept the risk that some rear end in a top hat sees me wearing polish and a pride pin and suddenly I have to "prove" to a Paxton-acolyte at CPS that I'm not "grooming" my son or any of his friends by existing.

I'm really sorry Texas lost you, and lost almost every trans person (and a lot of gays too) I've met over the past decade living here. It's a much worse place without y'all, and you deserved better.

We're cis queers, but they throw grooming allegations (not as bad as against trans folks, but still) at queer people in this state constantly now too. Family courts and CPS have been weaponized against LGBTQ parents historically as well as recently, in Texas, and while Austin is friendly, our state government targeted activist parents for those CPS investigations to retaliate. Separate from CPS, bigots have become empowered to bring guns to LGBTQ events to intimidate us and claim we're grooming kids, even talk about shooting us while they protest. That Pride event up in Idaho was minutes away from probably one of the deadliest shootings in US history if it hadn't been caught in time (https://www.npr.org/2022/06/14/1104881726/police-in-idaho-arrested-dozens-of-patriot-front-members-near-a-pride-event), and it barely registered for most people. We still talk as if this is two civil sides of an inconsequential debate.

And then you have the shootings and the ban on abortion for miscarriages that don't take hitting all other parents too. But I want my children to be raised in Tejano culture near their family, and we don't have family in any LGBTQ-friendly states. Our child care is family right now. And it takes so many hours to get across Texas that moving to Colorado or New Mexico is still a plane ride away from here. I think folks really underestimate how much LGBTQ people leaving Texas is not because they want to live somewhere else, but because Texas has become too dangerous for them and a lot of thought went into fleeing.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm lucky in that i have an engineering degree so can move whereever easily in theory, but I'm at a point in my career where I just started a new job 6 months ago and i guarantee any jobs i apply to would see that 6 months as a major red flag

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like pretty much all civil rights issues in America, its' going to take the feds forcing the southern states to recognize basic human rights.

My brother is kind of a gently caress up, like he has mood disorders that get in the way of himself, and he has a wife with some personality disorder that makes everything worse. They have one kid deep on the spectrum, one right on the border, and then a neurotypical daughter with some behavioral issues. And they are just not doing what they needed to do to cope with these mental issues for their kids, the kids are well loved and taken care of but they just won't put in the effort to get the kids the help they need, except the very basic services offered to sped students in Texas public ed. Anyway, they moved up to Connecticut to live with her mom, and my mom was is super worried about these kids, but knows that saying anything to my brother about it would just make it worse, so I'm telling her, mom, moving to CT is probably the best thing that could happen to those kids.

Couple weeks after they move I'm talking to my mom and she's telling my how my sister-in-law called her and was just stunned by the amount of attention and resources were being spent on her kid in basic public school. Dedicated daily assistance, regular speech and occupational therapy, engagment from a team of educators and experts on ASDs, and she's like "And it's all for free"

If I had something happen to me that made me permanently disabled or otherwise medically fragile, I would do everything I could to get into a blue state, we don't take care of our people here, from social services, to basic human decency and public safety.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and to follow up that's what's so frustrating about it becuase you'd think that the gross mismanagement of the state directly impacting the lives of it's citizens in insanely salient ways - such as the entire state losing power and water for a week because of conservative theories of governance - and it didn't move the needle. You'd think the fact that we could sell insurance, public safety, social surety, like it would be apparent that conservative rule in Texas has been an unqualified disaster except for a handful of decisions, and the state is insulated from the worst consequences of its decisions because the state sits upon one of the richest deposits of the most valuable commodity on the planet. We get away with poo poo for the same reason Saudi Arabia does.

As I often say, I don't know what the Democratic party in Texas could offer the people of Texas, because they sure as poo poo don't seem to want it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

the state sits upon one of the richest deposits of the most valuable commodity on the planet. We get away with poo poo for the same reason Saudi Arabia does.

instead of a train along 45, we should just build a 1km-wide city between dallas and houston

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

zoux posted:

Oh and to follow up that's what's so frustrating about it becuase you'd think that the gross mismanagement of the state directly impacting the lives of it's citizens in insanely salient ways - such as the entire state losing power and water for a week because of conservative theories of governance - and it didn't move the needle. You'd think the fact that we could sell insurance, public safety, social surety, like it would be apparent that conservative rule in Texas has been an unqualified disaster except for a handful of decisions, and the state is insulated from the worst consequences of its decisions because the state sits upon one of the richest deposits of the most valuable commodity on the planet. We get away with poo poo for the same reason Saudi Arabia does.

As I often say, I don't know what the Democratic party in Texas could offer the people of Texas, because they sure as poo poo don't seem to want it.

No, it doesn't move the needle because of stuff like Fox News. If you bathe in that 24/7 it fills your noggin with stupid talking points to answer any situation with why it wasn't the fault of the GOP but those dirty liberals and their wind and solar farms. If stuff like the freeze had happened in the 70s or 80s I'm pretty sure it would have electoral consequence for the GOP or at least have forced them to modify positions and policies in response.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Couple weeks after they move I'm talking to my mom and she's telling my how my sister-in-law called her and was just stunned by the amount of attention and resources were being spent on her kid in basic public school. Dedicated daily assistance, regular speech and occupational therapy, engagment from a team of educators and experts on ASDs, and she's like "And it's all for free"

Technically we have all of those things as mandated by IDEA (I've worked in this area) and it's all for free, but we've also had years of the state deliberately getting schools to deny eligibility for special ed for kids so they wouldn't have to spend funds. Now TEA is investigating AISD for the special education practices, even though TEA is likely at fault for any problems with our special education system.

I think the Saudi Arabia comparison is fair. Just immense wealth controlling the state while terrible poo poo is allowed to go on unpunished. Most countries that we all assume are everyone is poor just have wildly extreme levels of wealth inequality. The state priorities are controlled by the wealthy and don't reflect a real representative democracy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
what we're watching is the inevitable conclusion of decades of "government is evil" propaganda coming home to roost. the "smart" conservatives who knew that some degree of government was necessary to keep the money train going are getting replaced by true believers who think if we simply fund nothing but cops and prisons it will bring about the capitalist paradise reagan promised them.

its not going to get better.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

what we're watching is the inevitable conclusion of decades of "government is evil" propaganda coming home to roost. the "smart" conservatives who knew that some degree of government was necessary to keep the money train going are getting replaced by true believers who think if we simply fund nothing but cops and prisons it will bring about the capitalist paradise reagan promised them.

its not going to get better.

instead of drowning government in the tub it's looking up and saying "ooo yeah daddy choke me harder"

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Just how are we supposed to elect our way out of this

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

IT BURNS posted:

They're loving toast every session. Worst case scenario is that Greggggggggggg calls a special to work it out considering how much political capital he has spent, but it still fails anyway.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1657942298498330625?cxt=HHwWgsCzgZDvmIIuAAAA

As predicted, you WILL learn about Jesus, and we WILL pay for it.

(...but maybe it'll actually get through in some way, shape, or form)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't understand what he thinks is going to change.

https://twitter.com/ByEdMcKinley/status/1658099816134594567

Yeah it isn't that the tests per se are the problem it's that they are tied to accountability. We're getting rid of the STAAR exam! Just like we got rid of the TAKS, and the TAAS, and the TABS, and the

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 15, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomOliverson/status/1658108869707530242

If there aren't the votes there aren't the votes, this isn't an issue of time, oh if we just had 30 more days. They offered rural districts a five year hold harmless that pays them an extra $2k for every kid that leaves the district and it was a non-starter. "I will also ruin your summer over this" is not a compelling threat.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 15, 2023

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
when was the last time there wasn't a special session on something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

'19

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1657879231500632064

lol

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yes. God yes I need this in my life. Please. Allah, you too. Help a brother out.

Edit: the Hopium hit too hard. My heart read that as Greg Abbott and overrode my brain.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Oops.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

rick perry, thank you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New consultancy scam that the Legislature will ban just dropped

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Scott_NicolTX/status/1658115867542994948

lmao they redacted the border

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the guy that got to do that had a loving field day lol

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

If there aren't the votes there aren't the votes, this isn't an issue of time, oh if we just had 30 more days. They offered rural districts a five year hold harmless that pays them an extra $2k for every kid that leaves the district and it was a non-starter. "I will also ruin your summer over this" is not a compelling threat.

I know the Republicans normally eventually do whatever Abbott wants and vote for things that seem like non-starters even a session ago, but yeah, this wasn't an insignificant number of House Republicans in opposition, it wasn't a matter of time... Is Abbott just going to veto the staff budget again? It seemed easier for Republicans to swallow when they could pretend it was the Democrat's fault and not an unforced error from Abbott.

I am somehow still surprised how fascist Abbott gets where he's throwing a tantrum this big over any compromise other Republicans offer him.

https://twitter.com/HKronberg/status/1658180174842585096?s=20

I need Quorum Report already, but I don't make Quorum Report money.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 15, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Imagine a cowboy boot, stamping on a rake - for ever.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Coworker forwarded this to me earlier this morning so I will share the bounty

Harvey Kronenburg posted:

HK: Process legitimacy is long gone in the Senate. The House should not follow the same path

Is misleading the House members and the potential crime of tampering with government documents, as may have happened on SB 14, about to become the new normal? Speaker Phelan faces tough choices

Is the Texas House returning to the bad old days when the last month of the session was routinely filled with mischief, deliberately misleading the body, and bills being illegally changed on their way to the floor?

Two decades ago, then-House Insurance Committee Chair John Smithee, R-Amarillo, once had an entire section of his insurance reform bill “mysteriously disappear” overnight, right before it was brought to the floor.

Forget the substance of the issues for a moment. The two bills pointed out in this column are highly inflammatory, but that is where double dealing typically takes place and the House –which most considered to be the adult in the room – is in jeopardy.

This is not about the substance of the issues; it is about process. If the process is corrupted, then it is government by fiat with no pretense or acknowledgement to the will of the people or the institution. If process is honored, then the will of the House remains a reality.

There are multiple instances of it this session, but for now let’s look at two prima facie examples that House leadership is in trouble.

The first was the House refusal to allow Public Ed Chairman Brad Buckley, R-Salado, to convene his committee during session to presumptively rubber stamp an entirely new 80+ page bill that had mysteriously been delivered to members in the middle of the night before. Some described it as a fundamental re-write of the Education Code

Typically, permission would be routinely granted. But Chair Buckley had told his Republican colleagues to vote for the Herrero Amendment to the Appropriations bill then he folded and showed “Present, Not Voting” leaving the members who followed his lead out on a limb.

Fortunately, Rep. Ernest Bailes, R-Shepherd, objected and in three minutes on the front mic made the most eloquent defense of process of any member this session. He simply pointed out that this voucher/ESA committee substitute was one of the most important and controversial bills of the session and it deserved an open hearing with testimony and time for the Committee and the members to review and vet.

The bill is characterized by opponents as a major change in Texas education policy disguised as a voucher/ESA bill. They characterize the first two Articles as having been written by the Texas Education Agency led by Commissioner Mike Morath, which is essentially Greg Abbott.

The language in the third article was attributed to TPPF and its allies on voucher/ESAs

Members could not have known and Buckley – if he even knew – did not disclose such tidbits as the Committee Substitute for SB8 does away with STAAR but replaces it with even more assessment tests, tripling the number of tests in years three through eight and raising standards with new 9th and 11th grade tests.

Too many tests and “teaching to the test” has been anathema to parents for years and passage would likely create a buzzsaw of betrayal for lawmakers when they get back home. In fact, much of the Monday morning hearing was about revised testing in yet another new committee substitute.

The section makes yet another undisclosed but significant change. Entering college students who are insufficiently prepared can be required to take “Developmental Courses” their freshman year to qualify for actual college level courses. The Higher Education Coordinating Board has determined those criteria for years and, of course, it should be within their purview.

Buckley’s SB8 Committee Substitute takes that power away from the Coordinating Board and gives it to TEA.

Reliable sources tell QR that the Higher Ed Coordinating Board was not even aware that such an issue was under discussion and was as surprised as everybody else to discover the change.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg, but we will leave it there.

It’s not clear whether Chair Buckley was even included in negotiating a substitute or simply handed the new language.

Bailes was right to demand a legitimate process.

And let’s be clear.

If the bill goes over to the Senate, it will be rejected and go to Conference where Lt. Governor Dan Patrick will write the actual bill. Don’t forget that last session, the Senate did an unprecedented 27 page “outside the bounds” resolution with the misnamed “Election Integrity” bill. The Conference Committee report came back with undisclosed poison pills that had never been debated on the floor of either legislative chamber.

Rules-masters remind me that a point of order cannot be called on germaneness on a Conference Committee Report. And of course, CCRs are not subject to amendments. The Conference Committee Report hits the floor, the bill author is supposed to describe the changes Its an up or down vote, so members need be warned that the bill that comes back will be written by Patrick.

We are not advocating one way or the other. Members bear responsibility for their own votes but Process demands that they at least be informed votes.

The second major infraction looks to be a clear violation of law and a potential criminal act committed as SB 14 was working its way to the floor.

Check the Legislative history on SB 14, the ban on gender affirming care for children.

At 3:21 AM on May 12th, the actual day of the debate, the TLO log shows that a “Corrected com. Report distributed”. Apparently, the bill analysis was also “corrected”.

The problem is that there is no procedure for “correcting” a bill that is technically in the possession of the House without permission of the House, which could be easily gotten on this bill given mandatory Republican support.

The bigger and potentially criminal problem is the actual SB14 was an official government document and had clearly been altered without House permission.

The Texas Penal Code has both felony and misdemeanor penalties for these offenses.

Section 37.10 says: “(a) A person commits an offense if he:(1) knowingly makes a false entry in, or false alteration of, a governmental record;(2) makes, presents, or uses any record, document, or thing with knowledge of its falsity and with intent that it be taken as a genuine governmental record”

We will let the attorneys parse the penalties.

Did bill author Chair Tom Oliverson, R-Cypress, even know his bill had been “corrected”? He did not disclose to the members that it was a different bill and bill analysis in front of them.

There was clearly a potentially good Point of Order that was illegally scrubbed in the 11th hour.

Democrats were apparently aware that the illegal change constituted a legitimate Point of Order but chatter on the floor indicated that both sides of the aisle believed the Speaker could be over-ruled on this must pass bill or the gates of hell would open up on GOP members in their primaries.

Outcomes in both bills may or may not have changed.

That is irrelevant in what appears to be growing procedural corruption in the House.

Speaker Dade Phelan is clearly in a tough spot and the role of “management” in these violations is unclear. The manufactured outrage industry is in high dudgeon and powerful outside forces are at play. The more outrage, the more profitable the industry. Phelan is already being targeted.

But besides his district, he has 149 other constituents that rely on him to keep the process honest and reliable and at least in these two issues, the process was clearly neither honest nor reliable.

Two of his Chairmen have given the body cause to question their legitimacy and fidelity to process.

The Speaker’s job is to protect the Institution, the process and the members.

Phelan acted firmly and decisively in the case of former Rep. Bryan Slaton and made the House membership proud. Similarly, investigation of the events in Uvalde conducted by Rep. Dustin Burrows, R-Lubbock, is, so far, the only legitimate state-presented report as other political leaders have bobbed, weaved, deflected and disclosed little of value.

Hopefully, Phelan has made clear to the individual members that he is aware of other unacceptable behavior, and they are on notice, as previous speakers have done.

There are powerful forces working to undermine Speaker Phelan.

We know that the Governor does not keep his word and the Senate has a history of bad faith.

Much of the legitimacy of the process rests on Phelan’s shoulders.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I know the Republicans normally eventually do whatever Abbott wants and vote for things that seem like non-starters even a session ago, but yeah, this wasn't an insignificant number of House Republicans in opposition, it wasn't a matter of time... Is Abbott just going to veto the staff budget again? It seemed easier for Republicans to swallow when they could pretend it was the Democrat's fault and not an unforced error from Abbott.

I am somehow still surprised how fascist Abbott gets where he's throwing a tantrum this big over any compromise other Republicans offer him.

https://twitter.com/HKronberg/status/1658180174842585096?s=20

QR tends to be full of poo poo, but what is he alluding to here. (Well they spread a lot of rumors that tend to be false and people seem to remember the hits way more than the misses)

I'm not saying Abbott won't call a special or specials on vouchers because he's stupid and he's dumped every dime of his political capital into this this session and it's his signature policy, but also being continuously humiliated on that policy doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean they refused to suspend to allow them to hold a hearing on the bill that's even more of a rebuke than the almost 2/3s vote on an amendment to the loving budget that said the house was not going to spend a penny of public money on vouchers.

He had some cover on the staff budget veto ala "not paying for members who refuse to show up and do their job" and that still wasn't terribly popular. Where's the sunset safety net bill at right now?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zoux posted:

QR tends to be full of poo poo, but what is he alluding to here. (Well they spread a lot of rumors that tend to be false and people seem to remember the hits way more than the misses)

I'm not saying Abbott won't call a special or specials on vouchers because he's stupid and he's dumped every dime of his political capital into this this session and it's his signature policy, but also being continuously humiliated on that policy doesn't seem like a good idea. I mean they refused to suspend to allow them to hold a hearing on the bill that's even more of a rebuke than the almost 2/3s vote on an amendment to the loving budget that said the house was not going to spend a penny of public money on vouchers.

He had some cover on the staff budget veto ala "not paying for members who refuse to show up and do their job" and that still wasn't terribly popular. Where's the sunset safety net bill at right now?

It's Kronenburg's usual mix of interesting points and premature assertions like legal issues on the SB 14 switcheroos.

He's also puffing up the SB 8 shenanigans into something it's not, people set and pass bills all the time without "proper" discourse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's like when they frame something as "while Texans were sleeping" or "in the dead of night" the legislature passed this awful bill, bitch, if it wasn't for the democrats they would passed that poo poo in the dead of noon.

Taking normal things and describing them in ways that make them seem sinister is a common strategy in right wing circles, there's no reason to misrepresent it on our side.

The SB 8 hearing denial wasn't process concern, it was a dick slap to vouchers.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Thank you, Nancy! And yeah, TLO is not always accurate when things are moving very quickly. But this is one of many bills surrounded with sketchy practices, so nothing would surprised me.

They're on third reading now. The bullshit that went down on Friday was haunting me all weekend. Obviously gently caress Republicans and every single thing that went down, but Thierry has managed to hit every personal quality I consider evil in other human beings. Homophobic/transphobic, Self-aggrandizing and full of self-praise, cowardly showing up at the last minute after being absent all debate to avoid engagement in actual compromise or discussion, lying about how much she's ever engaged on this topic, copy-pasting her statement from other sources, including right-wing extremist Sen. Hall, just being completely disingenuous, and playing the victim (she's been more oppressed as someone for this bill than any trans kids). I also knew she had verbally and psychological abused her staff, but learned from Twitter that she's also thrown potted plants at her staff and a stapler at an intern. I used to work on bills with her office! You have to be really scummy for you to file that many maternal/mental health bills and have me hate you. She's now getting praise from Fox News and every bigot online. I get I'm fixating, but I've seen/interacted with her and her poor staff enough to be personally pissed off.

I get the speeches against the bill won't accomplish anything, but LGBTQ people need to at least hear that someone there doesn't think they deserve to be shot to death. And I just want us to actually primary someone after this poo poo - we have terrible follow-up with that!

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 15, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also a video of a black Houston Democrat going berserk against that bill is going to get tons of play in RW circles and media.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Also a video of a black Houston Democrat going berzerk against that bill is going to get tons of play in RW circles and media.

You mean for the bill? She is absolutely being held up by the right-wing as proof they're right, because a black Houston Dem somehow can't be transphobic and grifty. Seriously, whether she keeps her seat or not, she will really get her ego and funding boosted from right-wingers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Dutton didn't get primaried after his bullshit last session, I don't see why Thierry would get primaried on this one.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I get the speeches against the bill won't accomplish anything, but LGBTQ people need to at least hear that someone there doesn't think they deserve to be shot to death. And I just want us to actually primary someone after this poo poo - we have terrible follow-up with that!

Agreed! & they spare me having to listen to Oliverson.

Venton Jones did a really good job I think, he's one of my favorite new Reps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1658206770777432065

I think the only change was a severablity amendment which I imagine Donna Campbell with just concur with and that'll be that.

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1658194732097630208

I do not care for this poster but he is correct in this regard

also poo poo jsut doesn't go from "solid" to "toss up" gently caress you Texas Democrats

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

If Dutton didn't get primaried after his bullshit last session, I don't see why Thierry would get primaried on this one.

I know, it's an empty threat a lot of the time. Dutton did only win his primary by 3 percent in 2022 though, and he went to a runoff in 2020. But she's pissed off a lot of people even outside this bill by just being an abusive person, has only been around since 2017 (Dutton has been around since 1985), and chairs no committees. She just ran unopposed in 2022, so hopefully people keep feeling bitter in 2024.

Adding: I noticed Thierry was in the House LGBTQ Caucus (as an ally) at the start of session, but was not in their April group photo and is no longer on their member list online. Lol.

Editing again: Meyerland Area Democrats censured Thierry tonight for those two votes. I don't know Houston, but the LGBTQ folks there are probably more political than Austin's.

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1658287242828300290?s=20

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 16, 2023