Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

My bird blood is ethically sourced.
I can fix them, but they won't read my posts or Jesuses posts. It's a hosed, sad rear end situation tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

:hmmyes: Looks like a good deal

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

abandon hope. embrace uncertainty. :cheersdoge:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Soul Psychology is probably just "lol. lmao" but with extra steps

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it seems like the kind of thing people who believe in the great filter would get into

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You're just jealous that I have a profoundly quiet mind

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

true

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

this thread is where hope comes to die

maybe you hadn't heard that the world's largest carbon capture facility just opened in iceland

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Hope won't get Appa back!

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Rectal Death Adept posted:

maybe you hadn't heard that the world's largest carbon capture facility just opened in iceland

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
more like cabron capture facility

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

they built it to capture carbon but in the end it also captured our hearts

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Just a Moron posted:

I have no sources or reasoning for this beyond gut feeling and my general comprehension of the world, but the U.S. is not going to cut emissions by 40% over the next seven years. If it does happen it won't be because of the IRA but because of a massive and sustained campaign of people blowing up fossile fuel infrastructure.

Just redefine the baseline and what constitutes emissions, simple as

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

He chose the inner path.

...also he's a settler in the core with like, a loving ranch.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

blatman posted:

literacy takes away from your posting power

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress yeah there's that content we all f5 for

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://montanafreepress.org/2023/05/12/gianforte-signs-climate-change-analysis-ban-into-law/

quote:

Gianforte signs bill banning state agencies from analyzing climate impacts
House Bill 971 comes as Montana courts are poised to consider how “clean and healthful environment” protections intersect with energy regulations.

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte has signed into law a bill that bars the state from considering climate impacts in its analysis of large projects such as coal mines and power plants.

House Bill 971 was among the most controversial energy- and environment-related proposals before the Legislature this session, drawing more than 1,000 comments, 95% of which expressed opposition to the measure. HB 971 bars state regulators like the Montana Department of Environmental Quality from including analyses of greenhouse gas emissions and climate impacts, both within and outside Montana’s borders, when conducting comprehensive reviews of large projects. It builds off of a decade-old law barring the state from including “actual or potential impacts that are regional, national, or global in nature” in environmental reviews.
Sorry if this was posted but I can't read the whole thread because I assume most unread pages are largely bad-faith or genuinely brain damaged nobodies wandering in trying to question the true value of knowledge or asking us What We're Doing To Save The Planet If We're So Concerned

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No those people are still not reading the thread nor posting in it in just assuming that it's only the posts that they've read elsewhere or posts they've been told exist

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This substack has been making good posts about covid for a while and apparently is on the same wave length as I am about also being sick of toxic positivity on climate issues as well

https://open.substack.com/pub/jessicawildfire/p/the-relentless-assault-of-positivity?r=64c8n&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

starts off banger and keeps going, addressing laws like the new Montana one that is just basically another way to deny that anything is happening.

quote:

You remember Greg Gianforte?

He was the politician who body-slammed a reporter back in 2017. A court found him guilty of assault. Instead of going to jail, he got to pay a fine and do some community service. Now he’s the governor of Montana.

Talk about second chances…

quote:

To be honest, Gianforte is simply making American denial official. There’s really no shortage of ordinary people and politicians who want to act like they’re doing their part by driving an electric vehicle or reading Bill Gates. The only difference I see is that Democrat politicians consider the climate impact of their actions, and then shrug. “There’s nothing we can do about it.”

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 17:25 on May 15, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

silicone thrills posted:

This substack has been making good posts about covid for a while and apparently is on the same wave length as I am about also being sick of toxic positivity on climate issues as well

https://open.substack.com/pub/jessicawildfire/p/the-relentless-assault-of-positivity?r=64c8n&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

starts off banger and keeps going, addressing laws like the new Montana one that is just basically another way to deny that anything is happening.

Nice!

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

silicone thrills posted:

quote:

Here’s something ironic I’ve noticed: You can put a lot of work into being polite and civil. The people who need to hear your message most will still say you’re being too hard on them. They’ll put words in your mouth. They’ll victim signal, even as they call you names and accuse you of having no soul.

There seems to be a lot of people in this country who go around talking about how positive and optimistic they are, but only if you never ask them any hard questions or make them think too hard about anything they don’t like. If you challenge them or offend them in any way whatsoever, that positivity snaps like a little twig. When it does, they blame you for it.

:hmmyes: Can’t imagine where we’ve seen that around here recently.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DallasTexasTV/status/1658172735552385026

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thats an 18+ twitter link which means i think it wont unfurl and you can't view it with out an account. Post screenshots or the article link?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

silicone thrills posted:

Thats an 18+ twitter link which means i think it wont unfurl and you can't view it with out an account. Post screenshots or the article link?

"New Texas bill signed by Greg Abbott will require owners of electric vehicles to pay $400 to register a new electric vehicle"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

texas, now that is a power grid that needs no more electric vehicles

it is regularly 90F at 8pm when people are home from work charging their electric cars

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nothus posted:

"New Texas bill signed by Greg Abbott will require owners of electric vehicles to pay $400 to register a new electric vehicle"

WA state tacks on like 100$ a year for tabs since we dont pay for gas therefor "not the wear and tear on the road"

its always kind of funny how "left" this state is but we've had that in place for almost a decade

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You have to make up for your gas tax shortfall somehow...

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

silicone thrills posted:

WA state tacks on like 100$ a year for tabs since we dont pay for gas therefor "not the wear and tear on the road"

its always kind of funny how "left" this state is but we've had that in place for almost a decade

isnt WA the most regressive tax state in the US? its a shithole for suyre

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

err posted:

isnt WA the most regressive tax state in the US? its a shithole for suyre

It is. Its why all the tech companies love it here because there's no income tax and a 10% sales tax and honestly property taxes arent that high either.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cuttlefush posted:

the el nino-southern oscillation is oscillating back to an el nino pattern. it's been in "el nino watch" for a month or so. so the switch is happening. it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

the ENSO blog is good
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/may-2023-enso-update-el-ni%C3%B1o-knocking-door

noaa's enso stuff is dry and technical but might get interesting
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

people talk about el nino like it's an event that does thing's but the ENSO pattern is just a pattern that tends to pop out of SST data. the underlying physical mechanisms are a lot more varied and those are what are actually going to do things. el nino/la nina refer to patterns within that

if you're familiar with principal component analysis or any other multivariate/spectral analysis, ENSO is literally just the first principal component or equivalent that pops out and accounts for most of the variance in SST temperature in a given spatial region (tropical/eastern pacific). the Pacific Decadal Oscillation/PDO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_decadal_oscillation?useskin=vector is the same thing but for SST north of 20N in the pacific. so they're the same kind of math applied to SST in different parts on the pacific.

for some reason it's never really brought up what statistical phantoms both of these are outside of like, climate modeling courses. most people end up believing that they are events that cause changes instead of being observed patterns in SST changes. they're still extremely useful though. Also the cool thing about them, unlike most bullshit results of multivariate analyses, is you can see them in all sorts of other data sets. they're defined by SST but you can see them in some rainfall data sets, all sorts of poo poo. robust.

PDO is way cooler than ENSO imo. ENSO is pretty stable, small amplitude, and has strong regional impacts. useful to track. PDO has big amplitude and the PDO index tends to track with big global crazy temps all over instead of regional stuff.

if you compare the PDO index to crazy world wide heat vs the ENSO index, i think keeping an eye on the PDO index can be a better "poo poo is gonna get crazy soon" tracker. check out this paper for instance https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2017GL075930. ENSO blog also talks about it occasionally https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/going-out-ice-cream-first-date-pacific-decadal-oscillation

this was a good post btw, i went and watched some documentary on youtube about it after and learned a lot

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris posted:

ticks ftw. america is founded on parasitic blood sucking, might as well die by it imo

:stonk:

yeah we've had more ticks here but not that

oh boy the future is fun wheeeee :buddy:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sure is

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just waiting for the ticks that give alpha gal allergies to make all of their range allergic to red meat

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

silicone thrills posted:

Just waiting for the ticks that give alpha gal allergies to make all of their range allergic to red meat

solving climate change through invasive species and disease :hmmyes:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
also depopulation because i'm pretty sure the average north american would sooner off themselves than live without red meat every day

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
As an American, I resent that. There's tons of other good reasons to off yourself here besides

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The threads position is that no one should off themselves.

You should watch eyes wide open and let the horrors seer into your eyeballs.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

there's going to be some incredible content in a few years when the price of beef begins to skyrocket to like $40/lb

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wheeee posted:

there's going to be some incredible content in a few years when the price of beef begins to skyrocket to like $40/lb

lookin forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

silicone thrills posted:

The threads position is that no one should off themselves.

You should watch eyes wide open and let the horrors seer into your eyeballs.

Oh yeah yeah of course. I mean don't but there are a lot of good reasons... Just saying