Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for walking out on my mom after she called my condition "god's punishment"?

quote:

According to my family I am overreacting. To explain, I have a chronic illness that I've been dealing with since I've been born. We live in a country where healthcare is pretty well taken care off and I was always able to find suitable doctors to treat me. Meaning we never had high medical bills. However, it is still a burden on me. Most hours of the day I have to use a wheelchair and rely on my medication to get me through it all. I don't want to get further into it - my point is, it sucks, but I'm alive and I've done well for myself. I work from home as much as I can and live with my partner.

This weekend we decided to visit my parents after a long time. And my mother always has to be dramatic about my illness, she makes a whole spectacle out of getting me from the car to the house and won't ever talk normally to me, as if my illness suddenly stopped me from understanding her. She talks to me like I'm a child and not a 25 year old. Usually, I ignore her pity party, but this time it was just too much. She spoke about how me being chronically ill is "god's punishment" on HER and that she has to carry such a heavy burden as a mother and how awful it is to see her child like this. I loving had it then. I asked my partner to drive home immediately. I yelled at my mother and called her pathetic.

On our way home my dad called me and said I overreacted. My aunt agrees too apparently and that mom only talks like this because she's overwhelmed with this illness. I think this doesn't make sense. She's not dealing with it at all. But for some reason my family is backing her up? I don't get it. Am I really the rear end in a top hat here?

AITA for getting angry my sis and BIL robbed me of treating my mom for Mother’s Day?

quote:

Planning for Mother’s Day and my mama has everything. She repeatedly insists I not buy her a gift. I finally get her to agree to let me take her for a meal (restaurant of her choosing) for Saturday before Mother’s Day. She says she wants me to invite my sister and BIL. 3 wks prior, I text sis and inform her I’m taking mom out for Mother’s Day and she is welcome to join if she wants.

We enjoy our meal and the bill comes. BIL picks it up, and I say “this meal’s on me. It’s my Mother’s Day gift since mom refused gifts.” Sis and BIL refuse and say “we already agreed (the two of them) we want to pick up the bill.” I inform again…that the meal IS my Mother’s Day gift and I want to pay. He shoves his card at the waitress and she walks away.

Sis asks “are you mad?” I respond “of course I am. I told you this was my Mother’s Day gift and I invited you.” Sis and BIL are in disbelief that I’m upset and mom says “Just say thank you” - her main goal is always to keep the peace.

I text sis/BIL later and tell them it was “clear this was my gift to mom and you robbed me of the chance to treat her to a nice meal. I invited you out of courtesy.” No response. So AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for walking out on my mom after she called my condition "god's punishment"?
"No darling you don't understand. Your existence hosed up our dollhouse visions, and we'll never be able to get over it. You understand how this is all your fault right?"

The acid vat is too good for this family.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Xenocides posted:

The advice there is often complete garbage. I might be biased as I am bisexual and they are also very biphobic.

What advice are they giving OP? I am curious but not enough to log into reddit and check for myself.

Everyone is entitled to their desires and preferences. That US gay men care a whole lot about foreskins is a trope. And straight women and bisexual people can care as well. Even lesbian women and straight men can have opinions about one looking nice and the other gross.

But are you truly reaching your full gay potential if all uncircumsized penises disgust you and none turn you on? Even on your partner of six months?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What do you clamp with a clothespin to keep the pee in if you don't have foreskin?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

What do you clamp with a clothespin to keep the pee in if you don't have foreskin?

Locking vice grips.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Your nose

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A visitor from Carolyn Hax's Washington Post column:

quote:

Dear Carolyn: My wife and I live almost 900 miles away from our son, his wife and their 2 1/2-year-old daughter. Since we retired shortly after our granddaughter was born, our hope was to spend time with them at least four times a year. We recently stayed at their home and offered to take care of our granddaughter while they both worked. Our son insisted their daughter needed to go to day care to keep her in her routine and for socialization. We asked for only one day, but he said as the parent, his decision was final.

We were offended that we could not spend time going to a park, the library, and out for lunch so our granddaughter could get to know us a little better. We have decided to rethink our travel plans in the future as we feel that our presence in our granddaughter's life isn't that important to them.

To add injury to insult, we chose to live where we grew up so that both of our sons would have lots of interaction with both sets of their grandparents. Now we are being denied quality time with our granddaughter. How do we communicate our disappointment to the parents?

— Offended

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for calling my girlfriend mommy?

quote:

Don't judge me for what I call my girlfriend in bed. Anyways, today is Mother's Day and I had a big lunch with my parents, my girlfriend's parents and our siblings. I bought for my mom a nice gift and also bought for my girlfriend's mom a gift and they loved it.

This weekend, as you all know, the new Legend of Zelda came out and my girlfriend has been talking about it the entire time. She hasn't gotten it yet so I decided to get it for her as a gift. During lunch, when I was giving my gifts to my mom and my girlfriend's mom, I also gave Zelda to my girlfriend by saying "Here's your gift mommy". Everyone laughed and my girlfriend was really really happy about it.

However, on the way home, my parents were not happy that I called my girlfriend mommy and told me to keep my kinks to myself and my girlfriend and not involve the whole family in our sex life. I personally said it as a joke and people did laugh, including my girlfriend and her parents. So, am I in the wrong here and should I have not done what I did?

Edit: I see I'm getting a lot of mixed judgments, but I'll ahead and accept I'm an AH in this situation. I just wanted to make a joke since I was giving her a gift that coincided with Mother's day. FWIW, my parents said it was funny but just know my audience and it was alright since everyone there was chill with it.

As ever with guys like this, what's the joke?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Adult children who get off on pissing on boundaries, sometimes literally

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

anime used to be much better

You're in luck, Pom Poko is on Netflix

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Bright Bart posted:

What advice are they giving OP? I am curious but not enough to log into reddit and check for myself.

Everyone is entitled to their desires and preferences. That US gay men care a whole lot about foreskins is a trope. And straight women and bisexual people can care as well. Even lesbian women and straight men can have opinions about one looking nice and the other gross.

But are you truly reaching your full gay potential if all uncircumsized penises disgust you and none turn you on? Even on your partner of six months?

As a kid, I only knew that bisexual people liked both men and women, so that meant they had to have one of each in a relationship. Sounded like a cool deal to me. I was not a smart kid.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A visitor from Carolyn Hax's Washington Post column:

Now why would only time spent alone with your grand child count as quality time, I wonder

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

haveblue posted:

Rename George to Baxter and teach him to use a phone

Deepest cut I've seen in a long time, nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, is today's AITA making me grateful neither my mother nor I gave a poo poo about Mother's Day.
AITA for not wanting my girlfriend to go to a party because her ex will be there?

quote:

My (M26) girlfriend (F24) plans on going to a friend (F24) birthday party on Wednesday. It’s supposed to be a girls only party stuff so I’m obviously not going.

I asked her if she knew who else was gonna be there and she mentioned her ex (F25).

So I told her I didn’t want her to go if her ex was gonna be there.

She asked why and said that she won’t even have to talk to her as a lot of her friends were gonna be there too.

I said that I didn’t care, that it was still her ex and I didn’t want her to be around her ex.

She told me that she was not gonna miss her friend’s birthday just because I was jealous of her ex from when she was 17.

So I told her that if it was me and I knew one of my exes was gonna be at a party I’m supposed to go too, I’d definitely cancel out of respect for her. She said that she was gonna go to the birthday party and that was final.

She then turned around and walked away. She’s still talking to me but I can tell that she’s annoyed I asked her that but I honestly don’t think it was as crazy of a request as she makes it out to be.

But maybe I’m wrong and that’s why I’m here: Aita for not wanting her to go to her friend’s birthday party knowing her ex will also be there?

Betcha :10bux: he thinks bi people are more likely to cheat, or that anybody with the choice between a woman and a man would always pick the woman, or some other stereotype.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always look forward to AITA after a holiday. It's AITA Superbowl so many times a year.

AITA for being disappointed on mother’s day?

quote:

My husband works a 12 hour shift today, and this is my first Mother’s Day since our daughter was born a few months ago.

I’ve been really excited for the holiday for weeks, and kept reminding my husband that it was coming up. He was out shopping all day on Friday, and so I figured while he was out he must have gotten me a card or something.

Roll around to this morning, I woke up and saw that he had set out my coffee mug and the coffee grounds on the kitchen counter for me, and wrote “happy Mother’s Day!” On our whiteboard. I thought it was cute, and when I went upstairs to grab our daughter, I saw that he had laid out a gift from his mom (my mother-in-law) that was a custom onesie saying “happy first Mother’s Day”.

I texted him to say thank you and then asked if I should thank him or his mom for the onesie. He said the gift was from her, not him.

As the day went on I started to feel more and more disappointed. I realized that all he did for Mother’s Day was set out my mug and write happy Mother’s Day on our white board. I texted him asking if he would be home late and asking if I should eat leftovers for dinner or if he had anything planned. He said he would be working late and had nothing planned, sorry. I admitted I was kind of disappointed, since I thought he would at least get me a card or something. And he responded angrily that he’s tired of being criticized and him writing on the whiteboard was the same amount of effort as a card.

I responded that I was sorry, I was just really looking forward to my first Mother’s Day and I was sorry for even bringing up the subject.

The more I thought about it, the more I wasn’t sure if I set my expectations too high, or if I was right to be a little disappointed.

I was really looking forward to some appreciation since I do all the cooking, cleaning, and childcare (I very recently became a stay at home mom after completing a 6 year military contract) and I was so excited about the holiday I think I might have gotten too excited, overhyped the importance, and then upset both myself and my husband in the process.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?? Is my disappointment warranted, or should I apologize to him for having too high of an expectation?

I mean seriously the bar is pretty low for most moms, especially for first one. A card, some flowers or an air plant (gently caress, any grocery store has a ton out the days before too) loving Doordash her favorite meal.

AITA for “embarrassing” my cousin and getting us kicked out of a restaurant?

quote:

I F(25) don’t have kids yet. I never really wanted them growing up but I figure I’ll eventually have kids in the future once I get my life together. My cousin Sarah (29) has two bad behaved kids from a previous relationship and a newborn baby with her boyfriend MJ (40).

Last night my mother, sister, Sarah and I went to a sushi restaurant - and this was my first time having sushi. After we ordered, I had a hard time using the chopsticks. My cousin started obnoxiously laughing.

The waiter came over and asked me if I wanted “training wheels” which is a little plastic item that attaches to the chopsticks and helps you hold them in place. My cousin laughed and said “sorry about her, she constantly embarrasses herself and us.”

I just gave her the side eye and put the training wheels on. When it was time to order desserts, her boyfriend MJ finally joined us - claiming that he was “busy.” She went on to tell him how “stupid” and “slow” I was for not knowing how to use chopsticks and how the waiters and everyone around now know that I’m an embarrassment. My mom asked her what her problem was and she goes on a rant about how I’m so embarrassing and it’s no wonder I’m “jealous of her being a mother” and “no one wants to have kids with me.”

I finally had enough. I said “I don’t have kids because I don’t want them to come out like your rude pieces of poo poo” and “you’re calling me an embarrassment? Didn’t MJ just have a baby on you with his wife? Your baby literally has a sibling a week apart from her. You probably learned how to use chopsticks by eating his wife’s leftovers.”

I guess when she was attacking me it was fine because everyone turned on me. It got so loud that management had to get involved. Sarah was screaming and crying, MJ was yelling at me, and my mom and sister were berating me for being “mean.”

Management brought the bill and told us to please pay it and leave. My mom paid the entire bill but my sister said I’m an AH for embarrassing Sarah and getting us kicked out - and how she’s probably going through postpartum depression.

Now…idk if I went too far seeing as she’s probably going through some post baby stress. AITA?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 14, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

The upper part of the balls

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for being disappointed on mother’s day?

I don't think either of them are an rear end in a top hat here. If she'd communicated beforehand that she was really looking forward to it, it'd be one thing, but you can't expect people to be mind readers. Like, I don't celebrate any of the corporate holidays, but I talk to partners about what they celebrate early on, and I'll definitely make the compromise if Valentines or xmas is a big deal for them.

Dinner or something would have been an easy win unless she'd still have been disappointed. Best case outcome is he learns and makes a bigger deal next year.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Horror_Business posted:

I don't think either of them are an rear end in a top hat here. If she'd communicated beforehand that she was really looking forward to it, it'd be one thing, but you can't expect people to be mind readers. Like, I don't celebrate any of the corporate holidays, but I talk to partners about what they celebrate early on, and I'll definitely make the compromise if Valentines or xmas is a big deal for them.

Dinner or something would have been an easy win unless she'd still have been disappointed. Best case outcome is he learns and makes a bigger deal next year.

Yeah, she says that she mentioned a number of times that mother's day is coming up, but that's different from explicitly saying, "hey, mother's day is coming up and I want it to be a special day so can we do something for it?"

The husband kind of sucks for responding with "I'm tired of being criticized" but we don't really know enough about their dynamic to do more than speculate

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think the default American expectation on Mother's Day is that a fuss must be made; how big a fuss depends on lots of unspoken expectations. At least he could have made the drat coffee himself and brought it to her.

The default on Father's Day is just ... buy him something manly? I guess?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the default American expectation on Mother's Day is that a fuss must be made; how big a fuss depends on lots of unspoken expectations. At least he could have made the drat coffee himself and brought it to her.

If you want something special to happen on a special day then you need to talk to people about it

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
Pretty much what I was getting at. Whatever your opinion of the default is, if you don't say what you expect, you're just assuming the other person has the same default. Over and over, this thread has shown examples of people just assuming other people knew they wanted to celebrate their birthday all month or dedicate a week to their parents' anniversary or whatever. Just talk to people if it's a big deal to you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Agreed.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The one idea that refuses to die is the belief that something can't be romantic or special if you have to ask for it. It's total bullshit, of course, as no one can read minds, but it keeps giving people impossible expectations and making them feel bad when they don't get what they want

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

She should absolutely have communicated but

quote:

I was really looking forward to some appreciation since I do all the cooking, cleaning, and childcare
I feel like any time you see this in a SAHM the dad is absolutely an rear end in a top hat and not a catch, no matter how much he works or how much money he brings in. If you're a stay at home parent who does literally everything then you are on 24/7/365 and you get no breaks, especially if your partner flips out because he's tiiiiired and had a long day at work, the moment you ask him to actually do even the bare minimum.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

QuarkJets posted:

The upper part of the balls

Does a pee crystal form between the balls and the peehole during cold weather to keep the pee in, since the scrotum (aka where the balls are, aka where the pee is stored) shrinks during cold weather?

Asking for a friend.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yes but the pee crystal is sold separately

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA: Mother's day for myself not SIL

quote:

My brother is unfortunately handsome and probably has histrionic personality disorder. He's fathered 6 kids by 3 women and has not raised any of the kids past 4 years old when the relationships destruct (he destructs them everytime). My Mom is a religious woman who is horrified and embarrassed and yet he's also the golden child, athletic, tall,handsome, looks good on paper, mom just adores him, brags about him and absolutelt overcompensates for his lovely parenting. Now for the issues, my Mom wants me to spend Mother's Day driving around taking gifts/flowers to the women (2 to 3 hours out of my day). My Mom is 80. She prefers if I drive er. I'm a single Mom who has entertained guests my Mom had for the past 4 days and would just like to sit on the beach with my kid all day. I want today off. So aita if I say no and she has to drive herself? She does drive, just not at night and prefers I do. EDIT: Brother works fighting wildfires and is now gone until Sept.

I'm torn between

r/relationships: unfortunately handsome and probably has histrionic personality disorder

and

r/relationships: he destructs them everytime

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds like this Father’s Day is leaving a beer out for him.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Nebrilos posted:

I'm shocked that it wasn't gay fanfiction.
I’m glad someone else caught that; what woman with 11+ years of fanfic experience is writing - from a first-person male perspective! - het?

“I’ll act out your favorite scenes”, my guy you do not know what you just agreed to.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

AmiYumi posted:

I’m glad someone else caught that; what woman with 11+ years of fanfic experience is writing - from a first-person male perspective! - het?

“I’ll act out your favorite scenes”, my guy you do not know what you just agreed to.

Did I miss something? I got the impression she was writing it first person from her perspective.

For the record, in recent CW shows, both Snart and his actor are gay, so it still has a bit of the taboo titillation fanfic is known for to write him as getting spicy with a lady.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Cowslips Warren posted:

I always look forward to AITA after a holiday. It's AITA Superbowl so many times a year.

AITA for “embarrassing” my cousin and getting us kicked out of a restaurant?

I've learned later in life that inter-familial dynamics push the myth of age inequity hard to establish and maintain a pecking order, especially towards the youngest in early adulthood by the "successful" and slightly older family members/siblings/cousin in this case. And this relationship is, above, clearly toxic in one direction, and this is clearly tolerated and reinforced by the extended. Also, the cousin is in an age disparate relationship which further reinforces the superiority/authority paradigm that older moms in families try to implement as a means of control and power, not to mention shaming. I have a lot of younger moms in my family who come from deeply conservative backgrounds and have no post-sec education by conscious choice, and have loud, imperious opinions in any given situation because motherhood is this deeply revered institution in their culture, simply by default of having been pregnant and birthed a child. Meanwhile their children are mostly obnoxious if not completely traumatized, or totally demure, anxious creatures who are afraid to speak to adults.

Shaming someone for needing help with chopsticks, forsooth.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Huggybear posted:

"You probably learned how to use chopsticks by eating his wife’s leftovers.” is an S-tier putdown, though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Huggybear posted:

I've learned later in life that inter-familial dynamics push the myth of age inequity hard to establish and maintain a pecking order, especially towards the youngest in early adulthood by the "successful" and slightly older family members/siblings/cousin in this case. And this relationship is, above, clearly toxic in one direction, and this is clearly tolerated and reinforced by the extended. Also, the cousin is in an age disparate relationship which further reinforces the superiority/authority paradigm that older moms in families try to implement as a means of control and power, not to mention shaming. I have a lot of younger moms in my family who come from deeply conservative backgrounds and have no post-sec education by conscious choice, and have loud, imperious opinions in any given situation because motherhood is this deeply revered institution in their culture, simply by default of having been pregnant and birthed a child. Meanwhile their children are mostly obnoxious if not completely traumatized, or totally demure, anxious creatures who are afraid to speak to adults.

And who the gently caress uses chopsticks for sushi?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Cowslips Warren posted:

:psyduck:

what....do you use?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is that...not normal? I haven't gone out for sushi that many times, but I thought most of the folks in those groups went for chopsticks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

what....do you use?
I just spear them with my tusks like a normal guy.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

SyNack Sassimov posted:

what....do you use?

I got ten of them on the end of my hands-

forks, there was a tragic dishwashing accident

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You could in Japan traditionally use your hands to eat Sushi (but not sashimi) but it's such a rapid shift to eating sushi with chopsticks that a lot of people will look at you weird if you're finger fooding it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Like a normal person, I eat sushi by opening my mouth and extruding the second set of specialized jaws that evolved specifically for eating sushi