Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

I just hooked up an ELM clone to a power supply:
No BT: 0.1-0.2W
BT, stuck trying to connect to ECU: 0.1-0.7W

So even a small 50Ah battery is ~600Wh and would last over a month, but I don't like it. I can easily be away for 20 days or more on holidays or business trip, and wouldn't want to have to think about it. It already got my (lovely, see previous post) battery discharged in a week once.

I actually wanted to change it to a switched 12v but got too lazy/distracted by other projects. I don't really see why it wouldn't work ok though.

Love the hard data. Yeah if you know you're going to be leaving the vehicle for a while without a trickle charger connected I'd unplug any known constant drains regardless of how bad they are, but for a regularly driven primary vehicle it's not worth worrying about. Switched power on the OBD port would probably not be too hard, but there are some diagnostic and configuration processes that happen with the key off so it might interfere with those. If you were to do such a thing I'd recommend doing it in a way that could be easily switched back to always powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I just hooked up an ELM clone to a power supply:
No BT: 0.1-0.2W
BT, stuck trying to connect to ECU: 0.1-0.7W

So even a small 50Ah battery is ~600Wh and would last over a month, but I don't like it. I can easily be away for 20 days or more on holidays or business trip, and wouldn't want to have to think about it. It already got my (lovely, see previous post) battery discharged in a week once.

I actually wanted to change it to a switched 12v but got too lazy/distracted by other projects. I don't really see why it wouldn't work ok though.

Thanks, that's great info.

wolrah posted:

Love the hard data. Yeah if you know you're going to be leaving the vehicle for a while without a trickle charger connected I'd unplug any known constant drains regardless of how bad they are, but for a regularly driven primary vehicle it's not worth worrying about. Switched power on the OBD port would probably not be too hard, but there are some diagnostic and configuration processes that happen with the key off so it might interfere with those. If you were to do such a thing I'd recommend doing it in a way that could be easily switched back to always powered.

I'm already worried about battery recharge seeing how often we do rare and short trips, a small switch for situations where I know I could get stranded is a good addition. Thanks for the tip!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

I think if I were to do it (which is :effort:), I'd probably just splice in the dongle elsewhere and connect it to a switched power, leaving the original port working as-is. I haven't looked much into it but I think it only uses a couple other pins, and not all 16.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I think if I were to do it (which is :effort:), I'd probably just splice in the dongle elsewhere and connect it to a switched power, leaving the original port working as-is. I haven't looked much into it but I think it only uses a couple other pins, and not all 16.

Yeah, 16 is the battery 12V, gonna cut the pin and solder on a switch and a wire and see how it turns out.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Hadlock posted:

I'm pretty sure this has to do with unequal a arms but that's where my knowledge ends

Having the short arm up top can help with the dynamic camber curve

If the trapezoid was the other way, the tire would gain positive camber in compression

With the arm shorter up top, you gain negative camber through compression.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Anyone have good ideas on how to deal with cracks in a dashboard?

The car is about 13 years old and spends most of its time in a garage. The repair doesn't have to be perfect but hopefully it would keep the cracks from getting worse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jim DiGriz posted:

For a little learning/hobby project I want to 'install' a Bluetooth ODB reader, as in plug it in and leave it there. To avoid it draining the battery, I thought of cutting the reader's 12V pin and supplying the voltage from the accessory line in the car. Is there any way that could backfire?

Late to the party, but how long does your car sit at a time?

I've always just left mine plugged in and forgotten about it, but (a) my phone winds up trying to connect to it once I go to the bedroom (just barely within BT range - not an issue unless I forget to close Torque), and (b) it'll probably drain your battery over several days. I did have one that killed my battery overnight, but that one pulled enough power that it got physically HOT (not just warm) to the touch.

If your car needs updates, or you take it to a shop, there's some stuff that can't be done if the port is connected to a switched +12V. I would suggest installing a single throw double pole switch (SPDT) nearby to switch between switched and constant, and switching it over to constant anytime the car is headed to the shop for anything. A lot of scan tools (particularly dealer tools) expect to get power before startenzing the car, and there's some stuff within scan tools where you have to cycle the ignition power (which.. would kill the power to the OBD2 port unless you only went to accessory).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 13, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are shops that specialize in modifying cars for disabled people - you should see if you can find one. They will do crazy stuff like ramps, hand controls, etc but they probably are well plugged in to even more simple stuff like pedal adjustments

Jesus Christ, I never even thought of this. Getting a physical disability in your thirties, even if it has now been years, is an adjustment and I'm managing to miss the obvious.

I will check into that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Jesus Christ, I never even thought of this. Getting a physical disability in your thirties, even if it has now been years, is an adjustment and I'm managing to miss the obvious.

I will check into that.

You can also look around to see about talking to an occupational therapist. I'm a respiratory therapist and work alongside them occasionally in the hospital, they configure and set up a very wide range of solutions for people with disabilities, I imagine they'd have seen this before or would know someone. You should be able to google around for them as you would a physiotherapist.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You can also look around to see about talking to an occupational therapist. I'm a respiratory therapist and work alongside them occasionally in the hospital, they configure and set up a very wide range of solutions for people with disabilities, I imagine they'd have seen this before or would know someone. You should be able to google around for them as you would a physiotherapist.

God, another excellent solution I never thought about. I've got a yearly appointment with the lady who checks my gait with my leg braces coming up, and I'd bet a tenner she'd know what's what.

That's the damndest thing about a physical disability; you don't think of yourself as specifically being "disabled." It's just life, so the obvious answers like, "Check with your physical therapy docs" doesn't light up a single bulb in my dim head.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

Late to the party, but how long does your car sit at a time?

I've always just left mine plugged in and forgotten about it, but (a) my phone winds up trying to connect to it once I go to the bedroom (just barely within BT range - not an issue unless I forget to close Torque), and (b) it'll probably drain your battery over several days. I did have one that killed my battery overnight, but that one pulled enough power that it got physically HOT (not just warm) to the touch.

If your car needs updates, or you take it to a shop, there's some stuff that can't be done if the port is connected to a switched +12V. I would suggest installing a single throw double pole switch (SPDT) nearby to switch between switched and constant, and switching it over to constant anytime the car is headed to the shop for anything. A lot of scan tools (particularly dealer tools) expect to get power before startenzing the car, and there's some stuff within scan tools where you have to cycle the ignition power (which.. would kill the power to the OBD2 port unless you only went to accessory).

I'd say I start it at least once a week, so according to mobby's figures I might be all right, but I just don't like the thought of a parasitic draw. But yeah, that's a good concept, will do something like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Captain Log posted:

God, another excellent solution I never thought about. I've got a yearly appointment with the lady who checks my gait with my leg braces coming up, and I'd bet a tenner she'd know what's what.

That's the damndest thing about a physical disability; you don't think of yourself as specifically being "disabled." It's just life, so the obvious answers like, "Check with your physical therapy docs" doesn't light up a single bulb in my dim head.

If she doesn't know, she'll definitely know a person who does!

Good luck, it should be fairly straightforward in the end. Some cars have factory adjustable pedals, actually, but they're usually not individually adjustable relative to each other; the whole pedal box just moves.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This may be a stupid question, but I suspect the answer is even more stupid. How is it possible that the big online used car places like Vroom and Shift and the like are listing 3 year old used cars for the same price as you can buy new one off a dealer lot for? My understanding is that these places are no haggle, price is what you pay, we deliver the car to you. And I'm not talking about cars with long production lead times and shortages, I'm talking completely normal cars that the manufacturer lists as physically in stock on dealer lots. Who is buying these used cars? How does any of it make any sense?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's been a terrible shortage of used cars, and also many new cars are not actually available at their advertised MSRPs without months of waiting on a waiting list. You are paying for the privilege of having the car you wanted today, rather than in September.

Also don't buy cars from Vroom, those fuckers were horrific to deal with post-sale, it took us months and months and months of calling once or twice a week to get them to register our vehicle, a mandatory service for which they charged us a hefty fee. Those companies have been repeatedly found to be buying cars without obtaining the titles and reselling them anyway, failing to transfer titles, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Concur with Leperflesh as to why this is occuring, but the market is changing except for certain models. At this point those online only joints are, to a degree, relying on people thinkin this is a 2021/2022 car market and not the current car market. People's perceptions lag reality.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the used car market has been mega hosed because of some combination of specialty parts limited availability (of note semiconductor chips) and up through early 2022 extreme shipping delays, labor "post covid" is scarce too. So you end up paying new for a used car, because you can get it same day, vs true new you'll have to wait weeks to months and pay over MSRP for the privilege. In Australia famously Toyota stopped taking orders for series 70 land cruisers because demand far outstripped supply and they're struggling to fill 2022 MY orders

We moved to the east coast Feb '22 and many of the lots were empty or even closed, we just moved back and all the lots were full and all the closed lots had reopened, so there's plenty of inventory now but I think dealers are trying to sell the cars at cost and not take a loss for every car they bought six+ months ago at the peak

At this point though they're probably desperate to unload some cars, online that's the "buy it now" price; if you show up in person and haggle cash in hand they'll probably be happy to move it at cost (guess, not a used car salesman)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They'd far rather you financed a car than cash in hand, lol. Financing is a major source of revenue for auto dealers (who get kickbacks from the lenders).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Buying a car with cash hasn't been a thing dealers want for the past decade. As mentioned yeah they want you to finance.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Leperflesh posted:

They'd far rather you financed a car than cash in hand, lol. Financing is a major source of revenue for auto dealers (who get kickbacks from the lenders).

Carvana in particular - they're heavily tied in with Ernest Garcia II (felony convictions of financial crimes) and III. II founded DriveTime and their ultra-predatory financing, and Carvana has essentially tried to be a "cleaner" version (since everyone knows DriveTime is extremely predatory, from the car pricing to the financing). Carvana has their own in-house financing arm that they try to run most people through.

If you're going to pay cash for a car, you don't mention it until you're already committed, and have a price in writing.

Jim DiGriz posted:

I'd say I start it at least once a week, so according to mobby's figures I might be all right, but I just don't like the thought of a parasitic draw. But yeah, that's a good concept, will do something like that.

If you have another car to jump it with, or a battery charger, I'd say just try leaving it plugged in and see if it cranks sluggish/doesn't crank. Make sure to turn off Torque or whatever other apps are on your phone for connecting to it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I bought my Scion from a Hyundai dealer after we agreed on a price via email.

I paid in cash and they were not happy with me lol

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I bought my Scion from a Hyundai dealer after we agreed on a price via email.

I paid in cash and they were not happy with me lol

Did you let them know in advance of the day you arrived that you were paying in cash? Not going to ask why you had that much cash, as a business they should be prepared to accept it, but on a moment’s notice I think it isn’t unreasonable for them to take a beat to see how to handle that amount. I would guess cash customers are highly uncommon (0 per given week?) maybe.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
"cash" in this context doesn't necessarily mean a briefcase full of unmarked small denomination bills or whatever the gently caress. Could be a totally legit bank draft etc from a reputable institution.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah cash just means 'not their hosed up payment plans'.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There's been a terrible shortage of used cars, and also many new cars are not actually available at their advertised MSRPs without months of waiting on a waiting list. You are paying for the privilege of having the car you wanted today, rather than in September.

Also don't buy cars from Vroom, those fuckers were horrific to deal with post-sale, it took us months and months and months of calling once or twice a week to get them to register our vehicle, a mandatory service for which they charged us a hefty fee. Those companies have been repeatedly found to be buying cars without obtaining the titles and reselling them anyway, failing to transfer titles, etc.

Thanks for the tip. Vroom was the one I saw this happening on. I'm sure it's going on elsewhere.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Did you let them know in advance of the day you arrived that you were paying in cash? Not going to ask why you had that much cash, as a business they should be prepared to accept it, but on a moment’s notice I think it isn’t unreasonable for them to take a beat to see how to handle that amount. I would guess cash customers are highly uncommon (0 per given week?) maybe.

I didn't say anything until we got there on purpose. It wasn't unreasonable, they just seemed very annoyed by it, especially when we got into an argument about whether or not I needed an extended warranty. They pushed REALLY hard on that, probably because they felt they needed something out of it since there was no financing. Who knows, but it got to the point where I had to be a jerk after trying to be nice for what seemed like forever just to get out of there with the drat car. I hate going to dealerships, but no one else had the car I wanted.

wesleywillis posted:

"cash" in this context doesn't necessarily mean a briefcase full of unmarked small denomination bills or whatever the gently caress. Could be a totally legit bank draft etc from a reputable institution.

Correct, but I actually had cash at the time. I had sold another car right before and had the cash already so I was just like gently caress it :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I didn't say anything until we got there on purpose. It wasn't unreasonable, they just seemed very annoyed by it, especially when we got into an argument about whether or not I needed an extended warranty. They pushed REALLY hard on that, probably because they felt they needed something out of it since there was no financing. Who knows, but it got to the point where I had to be a jerk after trying to be nice for what seemed like forever just to get out of there with the drat car. I hate going to dealerships, but no one else had the car I wanted.

Correct, but I actually had cash at the time. I had sold another car right before and had the cash already so I was just like gently caress it :v:

I hope you had it in a non-descript sack with a dollar sign on it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I assume dealerships and salespeople are tracked on metrics and have goals for up charges and added services so they're both incentived to sell and hurt by not selling. It sucks but sometimes you just have to be a jerk not to be in a situation you'd be stuck in if you were nice.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
If they’d give me a better price to finance, maybe ok. Otherwise kick rocks with that poo poo. The car sales game is so openly predatory but they know most people won’t have a choice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The idea that a place selling a product for $x getting annoyed that you have the asking price in actual currency is very funny to me and also why they should no longer exist.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

I hope you had it in a non-descript sack with a dollar sign on it.

It was in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist

StormDrain posted:

I assume dealerships and salespeople are tracked on metrics and have goals for up charges and added services so they're both incentived to sell and hurt by not selling. It sucks but sometimes you just have to be a jerk not to be in a situation you'd be stuck in if you were nice.

Well to be fair, the sales person was this woman who was actually really nice but it was clear her manager was putting pressure on her to put pressure on us, so I didn't really want to be a dick to her but didn't have a choice lol. I was talking really loud in the direction of her manager so he would hear and get the point, she kept going back and forth to him and I was like just give me the loving keys and the paperwork so I can leave. It's like once they had the cash they were holding the car hostage, they kept saying "but you don't understand, you NEED this" like I was a loving idiot.

In short, gently caress dealerships.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

It was in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist

Well to be fair, the sales person was this woman who was actually really nice but it was clear her manager was putting pressure on her to put pressure on us, so I didn't really want to be a dick to her but didn't have a choice lol. I was talking really loud in the direction of her manager so he would hear and get the point, she kept going back and forth to him and I was like just give me the loving keys and the paperwork so I can leave. It's like once they had the cash they were holding the car hostage, they kept saying "but you don't understand, you NEED this" like I was a loving idiot.

In short, gently caress dealerships.

Individuals bear the burden of unfair systems.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ok this is dumb, but help me understand this choppy dirt road surface.

This surface is totally uncomfortable in my bmw x3 m40i. I turned around about 50 ft beyond this pic, back to regular dirt and gravel road which are fine. How much of this is my run flats? Or just my cars suspension? How much is it just me being an old coddled weakling? On my way back, plenty of trucks and subarus were headed towards this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Call up King and tell em you want The Works.
Washboard is not fun on anything that isn't a dirtbike or a prerunner.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Some roads just hit resonant frequencies in the suspension and make the car shake like crazy. There are patches of interstate that about bounce me out of my seat, but my wife's car is completely unaffected.

Try driving a bit slower (or faster).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Washboards suck. According to signage on dirt roads of my youth, speed causes washboards so just slow the gently caress down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHnCiMJLtJw

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Washboards, or braking bumps as we call them in the mountain bike world, are a big topic and some people even are studying it at the university of Innsbruck:

My understanding is it's a positive feedback loop, acceleration or braking applied over the surface as soon as crests exist, serve to deepen the valleys. The worse the crests, the worse the cresting is made worse by the passage of tires braking or accelerating on them.

They can be brutal on a bike, even with top of the line components in the suspension.

Here's a youtube video showing some decently bad ones at Whistler bike park. It's not well shown in the video but the rider's hands will be absolutely blown out by the bottom of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BN5Kp6HS2s&t=405s

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 15, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

it seems like you're saying sell my bmw and buy a bronco.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes, unless it's an E39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

it seems like you're saying sell my bmw and buy a bronco.

if you're used to weird yet dumb engineering design designs and cheap plastic poo poo breaking you'll be right at home in a ford product.