Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My nephew did in fact work for chik fil a part time after draft dodging Russia to go to college here

He works at McDs now

So like to settle the score: cfa pays quite quite a bit more, theoretically, but they will give you one shift every other tuesday that's hypothetically 2-5 but realistically 2-whenever you get done cleaning the bathroom thanks, here's your 3 dollars for the week, and why are you always in "class" when we try to call you in?

McDonald's will at least give you a schedule of decent hours, and work with your other obligations like school so you don't gotta be like "yeah boss my schedule has been the same all semester"

Obviously neither is good, but McDonald's makes the other look like poo poo. If the owners didn't already.

e: the ideal is everyone gets a living wage and nobody has to wage slave for an education, but you know, :911:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dubar posted:

Poor people work at mcdonalds and being poor is a moral failure. Chik fil a likely doesn't pay appreciably more, but hating gay people is virtuous enough to overcome their other failings.

I think it's more because you rarely hear about or see memes about CFA loving up your order.
Meanwhile, it's a well-worn trope that McDonald's will give you two top-halves of a bun with a slice of cheese and call it your egg McMuffin, usually captioned with "And these people want $15 an hour, heh"

So the implication is that the McDonald's manager would be dumb and incompetent and run a CFA into the ground.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

the_steve posted:

I think it's more because you rarely hear about or see memes about CFA loving up your order.
Meanwhile, it's a well-worn trope that McDonald's will give you two top-halves of a bun with a slice of cheese and call it your egg McMuffin, usually captioned with "And these people want $15 an hour, heh"

So the implication is that the McDonald's manager would be dumb and incompetent and run a CFA into the ground.

I'm trying to picture how you would do the same thing for a chicken restaurant.

"Hey, uh, I ordered a box full of chicken, and you gave me a box full of pickles?"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I scream about 15 dollar an hour burger flippers while not understanding the difference in between full time and part time employment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well yeah, they've never had to work multiple part time jobs to make rent so they have no frame of reference for how little that actually is. (also they just don't loving care and think fast food workers are subhuman)

Love that we don't have a caste system in this ol' freedom lovin' USA!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Well yeah, they've never had to work multiple part time jobs to make rent so they have no frame of reference for how little that actually is. (also they just don't loving care and think fast food workers are subhuman)

Love that we don't have a caste system in this ol' freedom lovin' USA!

This shouldn't be a profession, make something of yourself.
...wait, why isn't anyone working here, lousy workers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mooseontheloose posted:

This shouldn't be a profession, make something of yourself.
...wait, why isn't anyone working here, lousy workers.

Exactly. And of course they turn around and complain about lovely service, long wait times, low staffing. Gee, I wonder why no one wants to loving work there and eat poo poo from both management AND rear end in a top hat customers.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have zero sympathy for corporations who whine that "nobody wants to work anymore". They are the authors of their own dilemma. Decades of "the customer is always right" philosophy taught a subset of the population that if they bitch and complain enough, and take all their frustrations out on low wage workers, they'll get whatever they want handed to them on a silver platter by managers (either because they have no spine or simply don't want to deal with karens).

Now people understandably don't want to work (or return to work) for these lovely jobs for no pay, no benefits, and abuse from entitled customers. And of course they don't.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:smug: "If you don't like it, quit and go somewhere else!"
:qq: "Wait where are you going? You're supposed to be making my whopper!"

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have zero sympathy for corporations who whine that "nobody wants to work anymore". They are the authors of their own dilemma. Decades of "the customer is always right" philosophy taught a subset of the population that if they bitch and complain enough, and take all their frustrations out on low wage workers, they'll get whatever they want handed to them on a silver platter by managers (either because they have no spine or simply don't want to deal with karens).

Now people understandably don't want to work (or return to work) for these lovely jobs for no pay, no benefits, and abuse from entitled customers. And of course they don't.

i worked in retail for 12 years, till 2016. I was out side service clerk for a gas station in Oregon, and was pumping gas in gale winds, literal feet of rain, 100+ temps, -20f where my breath froze to my face, walking 10-12 miles a day. The Fake happy I was forced to do, the rear end in a top hat people I had to deal with, the bullshit of bosses telling me to figure out who was stealing.. when it was THAT BOSS.. im in therapy, at least trying it, and trying to get social security disability on a mental because its caused me decades of depression, anxiety, pain, for a job that was not worth it. I havent held a job more than 2-3 months in 6 years. my last i quit on day two cause i saw some other worker in pain and limping and all that came back to me and i quit.

gently caress yes people dont want to work anymore. Work sucks rear end. I thank God Oregon pays for my medicine, doctors and food as a penniless poor who managed to get my case worker to put me on disabled food stamps.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

oregon being like "gas fumes cause cancer, make a poor breathe gas fumes all day so i don't have to breathe them once a week for three minutes" is fuckin nuts

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Lucky for me, I was in an area where the air did not stagnate. Unlucky for me, there was a constant 15-20mph wind off the ocean beating the poo poo out of me every day. There are talks of allowing partial self serve here. Retailers are having problems keeping people for the poo poo jobs and the state is looking at relaxing restrictions.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Fellow Oregonian Gas Station Clerk here: a bill to allow partial self serve just passed the state house last month and is making its way thru the state senate last I heard

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Imagine a country on a normal day and how the operation is ran. Then one day they do the same thing they've done every four years since its inception because their Constitution requires it - they have an election, and it clearly shows a majority actually doesn't think the country is running well so they hire another person. This is what happened to our country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The guy who made a $100,000 bet that measles is caused by divorce and then lost and got pissy about it for years? Yeah, sounds legit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Putting the "rear end" in assertion

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That place people famously don't like eating, the most popular restaurant chain in the world.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’m fairness, actually were poisoned in a specific way by the lab. with a virus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And those viruses are particles made by the dying cell, so he's almost there!

I wonder what he thinks about the model virus that everyone who studies any biology (which he claims to have done) knows about, the tobacco mosaic virus. The virus that, iirc, proved that there was an infectious agent small enough to pass through glass frits and ceramic filters, invisible under the optical microscope, and able to cause infectious disease.

Too much plant divorce in 1890s society?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Guavanaut posted:

Too much plant divorce in 1890s society?

A mere 450 years after it was invented by Henry V?
Sure, a coincidence.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
o poo poo someone did go after the entirety of TMV research to attempt to discredit virology as a field, and on top of that quotes a bunch of Dr. Divorce Dad, PhD (Prediction hedge, Denied) in the middle too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3JbbaGhqc

Look at all these losers back in the past doing uncontrolled experiments and declaring results from them. I bet you could easily win a Nobel Prize from overturning those selectively quoted results. I wouldn't bet $100k though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

see, this is the kind of post-truth content i can get behind. why can't we just have hypercube-brained insanity without the neonazi stuff

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

see, this is the kind of post-truth content i can get behind. why can't we just have hypercube-brained insanity without the neonazi stuff

I know you were being flippant but the serious answer is probably some kind of crank magnetism. If you fall for one conspiracy theory you’re likely to fall for others, ie “if they’re lying to us about this one thing, what else could they be lying about” and nazi beliefs aren’t far behind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, unfortunately too many of the people nodding along will probably end up going down a "well if viruses don't exist, what makes people ill? Immorality! Which is why we need a radical theocracy and closed borders" wingnut hole, or at least an Alex Jones shaped "government putting chemicals in the water, scrap the government (replace them with the theocratic extended family and closed borders (also buy my supplements))" one.

Or the most mild case you don't vaccinate your kids and then there's a measles outbreak and the immunocompromised kid down the street dies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bargearse posted:

I know you were being flippant but the serious answer is probably some kind of crank magnetism. If you fall for one conspiracy theory you’re likely to fall for others, ie “if they’re lying to us about this one thing, what else could they be lying about” and nazi beliefs aren’t far behind.

Yes, they inevitably go "why did they lie about it" which is basically New World Order conspiracies just from a different angle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also a lot of it is just deliberately confusing cause and effect and muddying the waters.

It is possible that science has misunderstood something crucial about the nature of viruses, it's even possible (but exponentially more unlikely the more you add) that several of these assumptions are incorrect. But we've known about epidemics for millennia before we knew about self replicating pathogens. We knew about variolation, inoculation, quarantine, clean air, the secret ritual of netilat yadayim, and many other things long before that.

"We were wrong about this one particular way that RNA/protein shells/droplets work" doesn't refute vaccines or masks, it just might help us make better ones.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A lot of people have trouble with the idea that you should stick to the current understanding of science (and especially medicine) even though there is a long history of doing so being at best a waste of time, and at worst actively harmful. The idea that the entire system can be flipped upside down and you just have to roll with it.

The issue becomes when you take "we didn't realize that germs existed and then we found out they did" and go into "the results must have been faked".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dara O'Briain posted:

They say "Well you know, science doesn't know everything." Well, yes. But science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop.

But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean that you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy-tale bullshit most appeals to you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t trust these wishy washy scientists. Make up your minds :freep:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why the stupidest part is the idea that if you go back to 'the very beginning' (i.e. tobacco mosaic as the first isolated virus) and find holes in the first studies, then the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards, checkmate. As if many of the following papers were not looking for flaws in the methodology of previous experiments.

1890s guy did experiments with 1890s technology, clearly disproves everything since.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Well they haven't found The Missing Link, so evolution is disproved."

They've found lots of Missing Links, there's all kinds of species in between us and our shared hominid ancestors.

"Yes, but there's Missing Links in between those too."

:eng99:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Those Missing Links were put there by god to test our faith.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I’ll bet a lot of this has to do with the way science is often taught at the high school level as rote memorisation of facts and not as an ongoing process. New research supplanting old research becomes “I knew those scientists were full of poo poo lol make up your minds eggheads”

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Animal-Mother posted:

"Well they haven't found The Missing Link, so evolution is disproved."

They've found lots of Missing Links, there's all kinds of species in between us and our shared hominid ancestors.

"Yes, but there's Missing Links in between those too."

:eng99:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICv6GLwt1gM

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Bargearse posted:

I’ll bet a lot of this has to do with the way science is often taught at the high school level as rote memorisation of facts and not as an ongoing process. New research supplanting old research becomes “I knew those scientists were full of poo poo lol make up your minds eggheads”

I’m pretty sure we learned the scientific method starting in freaking middle school tho

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m pretty sure we learned the scientific method starting in freaking middle school tho

The only thing some people retain from middle school science is XX=female, XY=male. And they'll hold on to that until their last breath even though it's an extremely oversimplified model to teach to children.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

critical thinking and intellectual rigor are for nerds

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My school district taught us what a simile and a metaphor are every year in English class from second to tenth grade. There were still people in the tenth grade acting like they'd never heard these strange words before.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The only thing some people retain from middle school science is XX=female, XY=male. And they'll hold on to that until their last breath even though it's an extremely oversimplified model to teach to children.

Ehhh how can they be like little x and lil y shapes id I can't see them with my naked eyes
It's gotta be man particles and not man particles for the whole of existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

sure, but you don't practice it. even at the college undergrad level i didn't actually come up with a real experiment of our own design, complete with writing up the findings in the format of an academic paper, until i took physiology as part of my nursing prereqs

eighth grade science we made a fuckin pop-up book about volcanos