Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Since I was forced into progressive lenses recently Rich is even more relatable now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's a lot of fun watching them talk about in-camera editing and the janky stuff involved with amateur movies like Slaughterday, especially when they talk about their own experiences of being excited to start working on a film and absolutely hating it by the end.
The problem with trying to film stuff and making it look good-to-passable is the amount of work setting up just a shot or two starts off okay and then just grinds you into nothingness, especially when all the people in front of the camera are behind the camera too.

I watched another movie by the guy who made Robowoman and it had like one scene where the light almost looked good, then I realized he probably had all day to set it up in his own house with no actors there to look at their watch. It's why new lovely movie makers might have one or two okay shots or scenes and the rest is trash, while the experienced bad movie makers just say "gently caress it" and point the camera at the person, say the lines and done.

muscles like this! posted:

Everybody looks so old in this one.

It doesn't help one of their cameras in the beginning is out of focus I think. I'm pretty sure in one shot it's just hunting for focus, kinda jumping around and it's distracting.

fake edit I looked at the previous BOTW and the camera work is doing the same, now I can't unsee this. gently caress.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Since I was forced into progressive lenses recently Rich is even more relatable now

Progressive lenses? We couldn't even get him to vote for hillary clinton!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Holy poo poo, they're uploading in 4k now.

Man, that Patreon money is really paying off.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gross

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

stillvisions posted:

The problem with trying to film stuff and making it look good-to-passable is the amount of work setting up just a shot or two starts off okay and then just grinds you into nothingness, especially when all the people in front of the camera are behind the camera too.

The way they talk about doing editing with multiple VCRs sounds so quaint, and I love how you can hear the frustration in their voices when it dredge up old memories of their own amateur films.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Four old men from Milwaukee in stunning 4k clarity.

If Mike were in this one you could watch the booze leaking from his pores. Actually, maybe that's why Mike isn't in this one.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

Holy poo poo, they're uploading in 4k now.

Man, that Patreon money is really paying off.

Someone asked them about that on Patreon. This was their response…

Red Letter Media posted:

It was a bit of an experiment. The video was shot and edited in 1080 HD like we normally do but exported as a 4K file because apparently youtube's hideous compression isn't quite as bad to 4K videos as it is to 1080 videos.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They're right, in that it's not absolutely macroblocked to hell and back, so good job.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

They're right, in that it's not absolutely macroblocked to hell and back, so good job.

Yeah, any clips of Slaughter Day would have been completely unwatchable with the normal 1080 compression.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i hope someone was fired for this blunder

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watched the film Sinbad with Lou Ferrigno from 1987. Princess Bride this is not.

Features some hella rear end shaking for a kids movie.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

i hope someone was fired for this blunder

The singular is more accurate.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Apparently someone remade Jacob's Ladder in 2019 and it was terrible and thankfully no one noticed. I can sorta understand remaking a movie to modernize it but some stories don't need to be retold. Plus the weird vibe/atmosphere and cast chemistry was what made the original flick so good. Why would anyone even attempt this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Apparently someone remade Jacob's Ladder in 2019 and it was terrible and thankfully no one noticed. I can sorta understand remaking a movie to modernize it but some stories don't need to be retold. Plus the weird vibe/atmosphere and cast chemistry was what made the original flick so good. Why would anyone even attempt this?

Brand Recognition

Its why you'll basically only ever get remakes of stuff that was already popular

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Barudak posted:

Brand Recognition

Its why you'll basically only ever get remakes of stuff that was already popular

Ok so fine, remake The Little Mermaid, Gone in 60 Seconds or Rambo but Jacob's Ladder?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Jay could have at any point spoken in depth about Fred olen ray's 5 other botw movies and 150 other movies, but held back

Yeah, I was really hoping he'd mention Fred's more adult-oriented sequel to The Kid with X-Ray Eyes:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so fine, remake The Little Mermaid, Gone in 60 Seconds or Rambo but Jacob's Ladder?

Maybe Jacobs Ladder remake was an actual attempt by someone who wanted to make it, rather than soulless cash in on a brand name?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Gutcruncher posted:

Maybe Jacobs Ladder remake was an actual attempt by someone who wanted to make it, rather than soulless cash in on a brand name?

(It wasn’t that)

Up next: One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s nest starring Van Wilder

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Muppets Lord of the Flies should happen sometime.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Jacobs Ladder has cache with horror heads, and horror heads turn films with 2 million dollar budgets into 50 million dollars of profit.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I guess that’s fair but the original was hardly a Blumhouse horror movie.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JediTalentAgent posted:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Hawk the Slayer may be a lovely movie, but I have a soft spot for the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsNtec0x2Q

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was Mike playing Tim in this episode?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

That was a very good BOTW and the boys should be proud of themselves

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Haven't watched the latest BOTW but I at least got today's Framed in one. Pride is a beautiful film that everyone should watch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Haven't watched the latest BOTW but I at least got today's Framed in one. Pride is a beautiful film that everyone should watch.

That movie felt familiar to me and yeah I've seen it. My dad really likes it.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

JediTalentAgent posted:

Muppets Island of Doctor Moreau

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's a Rifftrax of Hawk the Slayer, which is possibly where Jack heard of it.

Jack Palance is good, but even the riffing barely saves it, it is ungodly dull.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I bet Hawk the Slayer was shown on British TV when Gen-Xers were children and that this gave it some sort of cult following.
My main piece of evidence is the sequel comic existing and having an introduction by Simon Pegg

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Evil dies tonight!!!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I get that YouTube actively hates its creators, but in the current era of streaming subscription bloat, I just can’t be bothered to sign up for yet another service just to watch her videos.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'd sign up just to not watch them

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dandywalken posted:

Evil dies tonight!!!

reported.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh no is Guy Fieri bad apart from his gross food

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
He looks annoying as gently caress to be around

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm not going to subscribe to that, but I actually think from stuff I caught in her old youtube videos that she might really like the guy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I don't think Nebula is really sustainable with their current business model. Then again, Ellis still has 9000 subscribers on her Patreon, so I imagine she'll survive it's inevitable collapse just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

priznat posted:

Oh no is Guy Fieri bad apart from his gross food

Don’t have nebula but the title of the video made it seem like an analysis of Guy Fieri going from being the butt of every joke to being semi-ironically lauded as a man of the people