Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Stand next to it and it’ll seem like someone keeps pissing in the pool.

Hope those hoses are rated for higher temps too.

That looks like a radiator hose with an abrasion sleeve, do you even OSHA?

About as safe as that setup could be without a fence around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's like they say, if it's stupid but it works, it's still stupid and you've just gotten lucky so far.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The amount of wasted heat in that is staggering; it doesn't even look like a hood that closes nicely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Serephina posted:

The amount of wasted heat in that is staggering; it doesn't even look like a hood that closes nicely.

Just dump the grill into the pool and not waste the heat through the pipes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
For a second there I couldn't parse the photo and it looked like it was propane running through the tube into the pool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what in the actual tarnation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How warm do they want that pool?

The grass seems to think that it’s warm enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe it's a birthing pool

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Maybe it's a birthing pool

A nice poached-baby really hits the spot.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Deleted--idiotically posted in wrong thread somehow, sorry

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
My dad made a floating heater out of a piece of foam insulation glued to plywood with a resistive heating element stuck through it and wired to a cut extension cord. It did not help.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's supposed to be inside a charcoal chimney

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Lets see just how bad this is at heating that pool.

A rental propane tank contains about 15lbs of propane, or 13.36 liters. Each liter of propane has 6,103,000 calories of energy, so 81,536,080 in total. The pool is one of the Intex Easy Set pools, which come in a bunch of sizes, but that one looks close enough to the 15 x 42 one, which has a capacity of 3,736 gal / 14,142 liters of water. Assuming 100% perfect heat transfer, with no heat loss to the environment, that propane tank can heat the pool by 5.7c, or 10.2f. Once you factor in reality, there's going to be a warm jet of piss hot water going into the pool, with no noticeable change other than that warm spot.

Heating up water takes a lot of loving energy, it's way better to find some way to get the sun to do it for you. Or at least put as close to 100% of your energy into the water, not like 10%.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Deteriorata posted:

The urea is sprayed into the exhaust to react with nitrogen oxides. It's not fuel.

So piss in the exhaust then?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

jetz0r posted:

Once you factor in reality,

This made me chuckle.

What I wonder is whether you can buy finished copper coils like that or whether someone actually went through the work of doing all that bending just for that lovely setup.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

This made me chuckle.

What I wonder is whether you can buy finished copper coils like that or whether someone actually went through the work of doing all that bending just for that lovely setup.

you can buy finished copper coils but they don't usually look quite that lovely

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PurpleXVI posted:

This made me chuckle.

It's probably copper tube, which is not exactly the same as copper "pipe", they coiled around a fuckin pop bottle or something

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We already got a great example of how to properly heat a pool a few pages back.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
I once ran a participant through fMRI who forgot to tell us they were wearing hair extensions. The localiser scan looked like Pacman had taken bites out of her head. Wondered what the hell I was looking at for a few seconds.

Also, the first time I saw a geriatric brain through MRI was alarming. I asked the tech if they might have some kind of condition like Alzheimer's and he said "Nope that's completely normal".

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzkk9M2a-vw

Nopenopenopenope

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was surprisingly unimpressive and stupid. Also probably bad for his tire

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoContextHumans/status/1657465764608110594

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/nk4hb8a.mp4

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Nwq0xt7.mp4

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

These are way cheaper than that propane method.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the imgur page for this video has some my little pony hentai right up front in the comments

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Where do I put my CPU?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lost all my crypto because a dead squirrel clogged the skimmer.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Sagebrush posted:

the imgur page for this video has some my little pony hentai right up front in the comments

your fault for not having
code:
imgur.com##.comments-initialized
in your adblock

also never read comments, ever

moparacker
May 8, 2007

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

jetz0r posted:

Lets see just how bad this is at heating that pool.

A rental propane tank contains about 15lbs of propane, or 13.36 liters. Each liter of propane has 6,103,000 calories of energy, so 81,536,080 in total. The pool is one of the Intex Easy Set pools, which come in a bunch of sizes, but that one looks close enough to the 15 x 42 one, which has a capacity of 3,736 gal / 14,142 liters of water. Assuming 100% perfect heat transfer, with no heat loss to the environment, that propane tank can heat the pool by 5.7c, or 10.2f. Once you factor in reality, there's going to be a warm jet of piss hot water going into the pool, with no noticeable change other than that warm spot.

Heating up water takes a lot of loving energy, it's way better to find some way to get the sun to do it for you. Or at least put as close to 100% of your energy into the water, not like 10%.

I 100% appreciate you doing the math on this

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Real men use FIRE! My pool heater has a V8 engine! :clint:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Stoatbringer posted:

Real men use FIRE! My pool heater has a V8 engine! :clint:

Just bought a house with about 900 square feet of unshaded garage roof next to the 24' round pool. I've thought about rigging something like this up with irrigation hose and a dishwasher pump. The pool water is already close to 80°F now though, might not be worth the effort. Just have to get the chemistry right before it's swimmable.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

If you want to use solar for heating be sure to check out tech ingredients on youtube, they make some inexpensive solar heat collectors and just generally do neat experiments.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Solar water heating is crazy efficient, sometimes you have to cover the array up or else you'll get it to boil!

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Just quickly wanted to let you all know that I also no idea what it feels like to piss my pants for I have never in my life pissed my pants. My last CT scan made it super clear that I am all man as well.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Leper Go-getter posted:

I have never in my life pissed my pants.
I am all man

I think you'll find these statements are mutually exclusive. Sorry you had to find out this way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I were a CT tech I’d tell people that it feels like wetting your pants and then when they weren’t looking I’d piss right on them.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

I think you'll find these statements are mutually exclusive. Sorry you had to find out this way.

No I'm glad, now the healing can begin.