Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Angela is canonically not a lombax according to Insomniac. It's all so stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I love that they had the radio in the future game clarify “well, rumors say she’s not ACTUALLY a lombax”. Apparently Tools of Destruction had writing issues, but it’s kinda funny how the first four games didn’t have dedicated writers and were significantly better than the Future ones that just felt like mediocre Pixar attempts.

Also, talking Ratchet and Clank in general, I’m okay with not getting a brand new roster of 20+ unique weapons each game after Tools of Destruction if it’s a choice between that and crunch, but the Combuster is like one of the worst feeling weapons in any game period that I can remember, at least any decently regarded series. It’s a pistol that shoots fireballs, which is cool, but the bullets are slow, they don’t do good damage, the final upgrade is just a kinda useless triple spread shot, and it even somehow *feels* weak and limp in a way the old weapons you started off in Going Commando/Up Your Arsenal with that were deliberately made to be obsoleted mid game didn’t when they got outclassed and did chip damage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tears of the kingdom: a little kid is selling flower crowns. You can buy one but not equip it on your head, you have to glue it to a shield

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One thing that's been bugging me is that Tears of the Kingdom needs a full photo mode even more than BotW. I know you get the same in-game camera, but you really need a way to freeze the game and compose real shots - the games have always been pretty, but especially now that you can build anything from lumpy piles to strategic bombers with your new powers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Captain Hygiene posted:

you can build anything from lumpy piles to strategic bombers with your new powers.

Mainly dicks though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Mainly dicks though.

It's been 50/50 schlongs and korucifices.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I just finished up Signalis, it's a fun survival horror game with an intriguing story; but the thing that bothers me about it, isn't what I thought it'd be. See, the game has this mechanic where enemies will randomly revive after a while. Some never seem to get back up, no matter how often you wander around. Others will jump back up the next time you enter the room. There's a rare item, thermite, you can get that you use on an enemy, or even one boss out of three, and that stops them from respawning at all. But those items are in severely limited amounts. Also you only have six inventory slots and your equipment take up those slots. But no, those aren't the annoyances. What gets me is around the 2/3rds mark the game just kind of gives up, and half the time you walk into a new room, there's just like three to five tough enemies crowded around the door waiting to rush your rear end down, and it feels really lame.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tunicate posted:

Tears of the kingdom: a little kid is selling flower crowns. You can buy one but not equip it on your head, you have to glue it to a shield

They're pretty drat large, dunno if she's making them for visiting gorons or what but there's no way they're fitting on a head.

Anyway speaking of TotK, with every power you have, if you press the cancel button (either B or X, if you swapped it) you stop using the power. Except for camera, which puts you into selfie mode. Kinda sucks when fighting an enemy, taking a picture of it for the compendium, then attempting to put it away but just having Link decide he wants a photo with the charging Talus as a rock comes flying at his head.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nuebot posted:

So I just finished up Signalis, it's a fun survival horror game with an intriguing story; but the thing that bothers me about it, isn't what I thought it'd be. See, the game has this mechanic where enemies will randomly revive after a while. Some never seem to get back up, no matter how often you wander around. Others will jump back up the next time you enter the room. There's a rare item, thermite, you can get that you use on an enemy, or even one boss out of three, and that stops them from respawning at all. But those items are in severely limited amounts. Also you only have six inventory slots and your equipment take up those slots. But no, those aren't the annoyances. What gets me is around the 2/3rds mark the game just kind of gives up, and half the time you walk into a new room, there's just like three to five tough enemies crowded around the door waiting to rush your rear end down, and it feels really lame.

Respawning most of the time is triggered by proximity. If you walk close to enemies they will get up.

At the end of the game I just ended up shooting literally everything I came across and just killed them again if some got up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Respawning most of the time is triggered by proximity. If you walk close to enemies they will get up.

At the end of the game I just ended up shooting literally everything I came across and just killed them again if some got up.

At the end of the game on the high difficulty I don't think I ended up killing anything. Was too much of a hassle. Plus wasn't worth it carrying around ammo for it since that was another slot of inventory I'd need to account for.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

WaltherFeng posted:

I dunno, there are a lot of enemies I'd walk right past after downing them and they'd never get back up. Then a few others that'd hop right up pretty much as soon as I entered the door. But yeah, I wound up just shooting a lot of things since by the end I had a lot of ammo for every gun except the rifle, which I was "saving for something big". I only died once the whole play through, specifically to the final boss because I didn't realize it had a gimmick and wasted too many resources before realizing that there's no way it had that much health.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

They're pretty drat large, dunno if she's making them for visiting gorons or what but there's no way they're fitting on a head.

There are some humans wearing actual crowns in game, she just doesn't sell those to you

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tears of the Kingdom: I kinda miss having infinite bombs to blow up walls and stones and trees and like literally everything else that I couldn’t be assed to use a proper weapon on. This is only a little nitpick since I can now graft a boulder or metal giant box onto a long stick to gently caress up item crates and cracked walls, but the catharsis just isn’t the same…

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ugh, I hate how Xbox and Nintendo controls use A,X,B,Y just in different configuration.

I’m going to be swapping between my switch and Xbox so much now I’m gonna be hitting every wrong button.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Ugh, I hate how Xbox and Nintendo controls use A,X,B,Y just in different configuration.

I’m going to be swapping between my switch and Xbox so much now I’m gonna be hitting every wrong button.

I hate that. Turns out I only have room for two face button layouts in my brain, and SNES has decades' worth of priority for the A/B/X/Y one. Even though I use the XBox controller a lot for windows gaming, I'll constantly get button prompts wrong until I get the muscle memory down for a game and can ignore the button labels.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

My favorite thing is that instead of START and SELECT, the Xbox controller has two squares or three lines. I have been using an Xbox controller for many many years and I cannot tell you which one is the left button and which is the right.

Any time a games uses those symbols I will undoubtedly use the wrong one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's okay, instead of memorizing buttons you can just utilize muscle memory. The same buttons get used for the same things pretty often, after all. It's not like a game would come out that uses the Nintendo-patented layout for a/b/x/y and do something like map the jump button to a button literally no other developer uses :shepface:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

bawk posted:

It's okay, instead of memorizing buttons you can just utilize muscle memory. The same buttons get used for the same things pretty often, after all. It's not like a game would come out that uses the Nintendo-patented layout for a/b/x/y and do something like map the jump button to a button literally no other developer uses :shepface:

The utterly deranged use the Bumper Jumper scheme in Halo

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
in my head I use shapes for playstation, BAYX for Nintendo, and colours for Xbox

edit: also bumper jumper is the best way to play halo

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Morpheus posted:

Anyway speaking of TotK, with every power you have, if you press the cancel button (either B or X, if you swapped it) you stop using the power. Except for camera, which puts you into selfie mode. Kinda sucks when fighting an enemy, taking a picture of it for the compendium, then attempting to put it away but just having Link decide he wants a photo with the charging Talus as a rock comes flying at his head.
Maybe Link has grown tired of the adventurer life and is trying to make it as a social media personality.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Tunicate posted:

There are some humans wearing actual crowns in game, she just doesn't sell those to you

"Oh neat yeah I want a new hat instead of this hood"

*3-foot-diameter garland plops on the ground*

"what is this bullshit little girl"

Seriously though I pity the team tasked with making the next Zelda game. How do you follow this up without making another BotW-like? Like, now that this new open-world Zelda has absolutely dominated, I feel like even if you made the most incredible Zelda game that followed the usual formula, you'd still never be able to live up the sort of impression TotK is making on the gaming landscape.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Morpheus posted:

"Oh neat yeah I want a new hat instead of this hood"

*3-foot-diameter garland plops on the ground*

"what is this bullshit little girl"

Seriously though I pity the team tasked with making the next Zelda game. How do you follow this up without making another BotW-like? Like, now that this new open-world Zelda has absolutely dominated, I feel like even if you made the most incredible Zelda game that followed the usual formula, you'd still never be able to live up the sort of impression TotK is making on the gaming landscape.

The answer to that is easy, Eiji Aonuma in interviews has said that more open world Zelda games will be coming in the future, the old formula is dead and buried.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Link's Monday nights must be very interesting since he's got a goat-man's forearm replacing his own in this latest game. The grossest part is how long the nails are.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I do think it's a missed opportunity that we get a badass biomagical goat arm in the first 15 minutes of the game yet if Link is without a sword, spear, club, or mop he still can't deck a motherfucker

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bawk posted:

I do think it's a missed opportunity that we get a badass biomagical goat arm in the first 15 minutes of the game yet if Link is without a sword, spear, club, or mop he still can't deck a motherfucker

Remember when Joanna Dark invented punching?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Meowywitch posted:

Remember when Joanna Dark invented punching?

holy poo poo it just occurred to me

Is her name a Jeanne d'Arc thing?!?! :O

I never

I have to go

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

BotW: I had to turn on unlimited arrows for the second phase of the first divine beast's bossfight. Like, I'm sure I could've done it eventually by either getting more arrows or getting good enough to stasis his ice blocks and lob them back but gently caress all that. The first phase was fun but swimming is hosed enough as it is outside of combat and once I got knocked off the platforms I was getting pummeled to death without being able to do anything about it.

I'm probably just getting old and bad at video games but that second phase just seems badly designed. Like let's put all the worst parts of the game together and make it a drag for the player unless they know what to expect so they're overly prepared going in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That sounds normal? What games are you playing where you have an opportunity to watch the boss fight and learn how it works before you even do it?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

credburn posted:

holy poo poo it just occurred to me

Is her name a Jeanne d'Arc thing?!?! :O

I never

I have to go

Oh, WHAT THE gently caress.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

That sounds normal? What games are you playing where you have an opportunity to watch the boss fight and learn how it works before you even do it?

I mean, most games set expectations and just ramp up the difficulty in a kinda expected fashion. Not a phase two fight where you literally can't hit the boss unless you have enough arrows (a fairly limited resource so far) or do skilled moves with your abilities that require a ton more skill than anything else so far. Combined with an arena that just cripples you if you fall or get knocked off a platform and an enemy attack that pummels you to death without recourse when that happens it just felt overly harsh.

Either that or I'm missing something obvious (which I very well could be.)

I'm not sating I expected a walkthrough of the boss but a literal requirement for even getting to the dungeons is getting 20 electric arrows, of which you use 4 minimum to enter, and the 16 you have left are nowhere near enough for the bossfight unless you have like perfect aim. There's alternatives using his ice blocks against him to knock the boss down so you can melee attack it but that requires a skill level so far above anything you come across so far it's just a harsh jump up, you know?

As I said, I'm probably getting old and bad at video games but it was dragging down the game for me so I posted it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Link's Monday nights must be very interesting since he's got a goat-man's forearm replacing his own in this latest game. The grossest part is how long the nails are.

He'll need two goat-man forearms to achieve an anal diameter suitable for that big garland.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Taeke posted:

BotW boss stuff

Honestly, I find most of the bosses in that game kinda frustrating, that one in particular if you're following the suggested path and get to it pretty early. I think it plays a lot better if you take some time to dick around and upgrade your health and items first.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

He'll need two goat-man forearms to achieve an anal diameter suitable for that big garland.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Taeke posted:

I mean, most games set expectations and just ramp up the difficulty in a kinda expected fashion. Not a phase two fight where you literally can't hit the boss unless you have enough arrows (a fairly limited resource so far) or do skilled moves with your abilities that require a ton more skill than anything else so far. Combined with an arena that just cripples you if you fall or get knocked off a platform and an enemy attack that pummels you to death without recourse when that happens it just felt overly harsh.

Either that or I'm missing something obvious (which I very well could be.)

I'm not sating I expected a walkthrough of the boss but a literal requirement for even getting to the dungeons is getting 20 electric arrows, of which you use 4 minimum to enter, and the 16 you have left are nowhere near enough for the bossfight unless you have like perfect aim. There's alternatives using his ice blocks against him to knock the boss down so you can melee attack it but that requires a skill level so far above anything you come across so far it's just a harsh jump up, you know?

As I said, I'm probably getting old and bad at video games but it was dragging down the game for me so I posted it.

There's a few tricks for the blight fights that can help, especially if you aren't doing much damage. The center of the forest on the north side of the map + the northern parts of the desert in the southwest have bows which do multishot, so you can double up on bomb arrows and stuff. There's also a thing specifically for the Blight fights in the forest, too.

If you're good at sidehopping you can fight a Lynel to get their multishot bows too, whenever a Lynel does the football-tackle move its very clearly telegraphed and generous on both the hitbox when dodging it and getting the flurry rush for sidehopping it. You can shield block a lot of the other attacks, or sidestep the Fireballs they shoot. Shields are cheaper and easier IMO than a good bow for those tough boss fights. If you cook a bunch of food, it makes the fights easier since you can pause and eat any time. You can also drop a manual save before approaching since Lynels will hang out until you approach them, so if things go sideways you can load the save and get back all the food you ate. I think BOTW fairies will revive you when you hit zero hearts, but it's been a while. Fairy Elixirs do not, though, so dont make those unless you've got spare fairies for the oh-poo poo moments.

Waterblight is by far the worst of the bunch and they point you toward it first, which is a bit of a miss. The other three definitely have annoying mechanics, but they can be countered with elixirs and armor. You can't counter "swimming."

Your skills are also surprisingly versatile. I think Cryosis was the intended skill for that fight so you can put a pillar between you and the boss whenever you wanted, or give yourself enough height that you can jump off a cryosis block and aim your bow to get the bullet-time slow-mo.

bawk has a new favorite as of 22:11 on May 16, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"oh I'll just go into the nook and use Ascend"

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1658618453635502080?t=huJPRevGPWtRWeZhoCeagA&s=19

Thank you Nintendo

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Replaying Kid Icarus Uprising and just discovered something about one of the game's main mechanics.

When you lose all your health, instead of immediately dying, you'll enter a state called Crisis Mode. If you get hit while in Crisis Mode, that's when you actually die, but if you manage to stay safe for long enough, you'll recover a little bit of health and leave Crisis Mode. Ostensibly, this would mean a certain base level of skill should mean you never die- even if you keep getting put into Crisis Mode, you can focus on dodging until you recover and resume playing normally... except, apparently, you're only allowed to enter Crisis Mode three times per stage. After that, any attack that WOULD put you into Crisis Mode instead kills you on the spot. Adding to the frustration is that there are already some things, such as falling into pits or certain powerful attacks, that will ignore crisis mode and just outright kill you if you're too low on health.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

moosecow333 posted:

What drives me crazy about the Xbox controller is the big X in the middle lights up and the buttons don't. Light up the goddamn buttons if you're putting lights on the controller! I am godawful at remembering which button is which letter, please don't make me turn the lights on to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Solenna posted:

What drives me crazy about the Xbox controller is the big X in the middle lights up and the buttons don't. Light up the goddamn buttons if you're putting lights on the controller! I am godawful at remembering which button is which letter, please don't make me turn the lights on to figure out what the hell I'm doing.
A perfect opportunity to make official LED RGB GAMER DISCO controllers.

Like look at the bullshit you have to go through for this 3rd party one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UUIcVz_gFQ&t=806s

Croccers has a new favorite as of 07:39 on May 17, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Solenna posted:

This just shot up to the top of my dragging games down thing list, lol! They're putting leds into everything, the PS controller uses that dumb ambient light, xbox logo glows, but let's not do something actually user friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You could even do poo poo like making the button currently being tutorialised / QTE-prompted glow.