Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hello, anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hi anime, I'm dad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not getting into a genre semantics quibble and if I were raiding is a different game that has no business being trapped in world of warcraft. It felt that way, not trying to rewrite the Wikipedia blurb.

Persistent world in MMOs is the same poo poo as Diablo, you go out to fight monster for your quests by yourself or with a group go back home turn in quests. They made like 2 nap variations but they were so similar it didn't matter and you recognized em all by the time you get through the difficulties with one character. Plus WoW has the tangentially mild map randomization poo poo now too.

MMO-lite, all the endless dungeon running and mob grinding with none of the theoretical social or just-for-fun or immersion stuff.

If they flipped the lobbies up to 100 visible people from 5 hanging out in the forgettable towns of the game would feel like milling around ironforge or whatever with people diddling with their gear before dungeons and such.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Anime Ja Nai

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and whats the deal with multiplayer online battle arenas

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and what about "fighting games"???

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Those are just MMOs if you think about it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Propaganda Hour posted:

Those are just MMOs if you think about it

What’s your av from?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rinkles posted:

What’s your av from?

An MMO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Immortal_(video_game)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i always assumed it was some kind of battle chess

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The explosive isometric violence reminded me of Fallout.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

currently they are a primary vtuber dispersal method.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GOTY

https://i.imgur.com/CMKwVNQ.mp4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Speaking of fighting games, I have FINALLY dipped into the hitman roguelike mode, I wasn’t really sure what it would look like, turns out it’s exactly what I wanted. This will be my forever game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

Speaking of fighting games, I have FINALLY dipped into the hitman roguelike mode, I wasn’t really sure what it would look like, turns out it’s exactly what I wanted. This will be my forever game

Currently it's my most played game of all time, which is loving crazy because that number doesn't even taken into account Hitman 1 and 2, and all of them added up makes it 3-4 times as much playtime as former #1 Witcher 3.... IOI absolutely loving nailed it after the utter mess of Absolution, it's crazy how good Hitman is.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It just sucks that Diablo IV is an online only live service game. I dont get why it cant be like Diablo 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bc Diablo 2 cost a normal price and the nature of the game makes it the prime audience and target for the live service racket.

That's the only way new diablos can ever try to be scarier than Diablo 1, terrifying business models.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I dont get why it cant be like Diablo 2.

Because the world of people hosting their own private servers is dead, and now all games need to be permanently online and report back to base to maintain an offline connection.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

It just sucks that Diablo IV is an online only live service game. I dont get why it cant be like Diablo 2.

Don't you have phones?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are still people playing that other Diablo game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

....Torchlight....? :shobon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's definitely a game that exists.

Arclight Rumble is the new Warcraft mobile game that's in beta atm. It's basically MOBA Tower Defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzmiAmbfTGU

It's pretty fun for a mobile game of what little I've played of it.
Just don't want to play much of it until it's finally out.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just realized Air's Rock from Golden Sun 2 is a pun on Ayers Rock please kill me, thanks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer symbolic games over diabolic ones

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Infinitum posted:

It's definitely a game that exists.

Arclight Rumble is the new Warcraft mobile game that's in beta atm. It's basically MOBA Tower Defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzmiAmbfTGU

It's pretty fun for a mobile game of what little I've played of it.
Just don't want to play much of it until it's finally out.

didn't they announce this like 2 years ago??

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Currently it's my most played game of all time, which is loving crazy because that number doesn't even taken into account Hitman 1 and 2, and all of them added up makes it 3-4 times as much playtime as former #1 Witcher 3.... IOI absolutely loving nailed it after the utter mess of Absolution, it's crazy how good Hitman is.

If a syndicate leader suspect does something that ISNT in their mentioned hobbies, does that automatically mean that they’re not the leader?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah it's not officially out, but some people have early/beta access to it.

It's pretty decent to be honest, and it didn't really feel like an IAP hellscape when I was playing it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

I just realized Air's Rock from Golden Sun 2 is a pun on Ayers Rock please kill me, thanks

i wanna say terranigma did the same thing, so it might also just be a direct translation of the kanji

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

If a syndicate leader suspect does something that ISNT in their mentioned hobbies, does that automatically mean that they’re not the leader?

Yep. Diana gives you a list of their identifying traits and if a suspect has anything else then they are NOT the leader. So if she says,"Glasses, red hair, necklace, earrings, smoker and drinker" and you see somebody who has all those traits AND they're wearing a hat... then they're not the target.

The only place it gets a little quirky is with tattoos, which I think they've since adjusted, as sometimes the models had chest tattoos or full sleeves that didn't "count" which was very frustrating, or they had tattoos that were hidden by the clothes they were wearing, meaning there was no way to know for sure if they were the target until you killed them (or if you had an objective specifically related to the target you could test).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Obike tower defense games suck because they all inevitably have some lovely currency and progressions.

On the other hand, TD on Steam either have way too goddamn many levels with little variation or try to turn into some weird pvp thing.

Truly there has been no better medium for general TD enjoyment than the custom lobby of a company hellbent to never allow that to happen again

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/KaitlynRedWing/status/1657777729679290368

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't want to say that totk is better than elden ring because they have very different underlying philosophies with their game design, but it's definitely on par and it's stupefying that the two games came out in adjacent years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which has the better witches?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yurika was the best witch in the Souls franchise. Quelana is a close second

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

botw/totk seem to just be a giant open world toybox to gently caress around and make memes in

which obviously is very fun for a lot of people but not something i am interested in

also i took a nice very hot shower cause my back hurt after moving around my mom's mothers day present (a pressure washer) and now:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Which one has better swamp levels?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ranni is bae

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why are people doing these things to the koroks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

botw/totk seem to just be a giant open world toybox to gently caress around and make memes in

which obviously is very fun for a lot of people but not something i am interested in

It's really not. There's a toy box around here but the game itself very much has a classic Zelda adventure, tying together the philosophy of the original, the 2d games, and the 3d. It's a love letter and evolution of its own history. The best bits aren't fit for a meme or Twitter snippet, and are more things you experience yourself than see a vid of.