Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Gnoman posted:

This one has to be taken in the context of the film and not the source material - I realize that the film has... issues.

In the Disney Pocahontas, the song Colors Of The Wind makes very little sense in the context of the film. The song is lecturing John Smith about looking at the land as a treasure in and of itself, not just what you can plunder from it, but he hasn't given her anything to support that. Indeed, his portion of the hero-villain duet is all about the Governor being in it for the gold, but Smith wanting nothing more than adventure in this vast new land. Or, in other words, the version of the character we see in the film already knows the lesson she's trying to teach him.

It almost feels like they were going for a less heroic start with a deeper redemption plot.
Maybe it's the language barrier. It's been long enough that I don't remember how they got around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gnoman posted:

This one has to be taken in the context of the film and not the source material - I realize that the film has... issues.

In the Disney Pocahontas, the song Colors Of The Wind makes very little sense in the context of the film. The song is lecturing John Smith about looking at the land as a treasure in and of itself, not just what you can plunder from it, but he hasn't given her anything to support that. Indeed, his portion of the hero-villain duet is all about the Governor being in it for the gold, but Smith wanting nothing more than adventure in this vast new land. Or, in other words, the version of the character we see in the film already knows the lesson she's trying to teach him.

It almost feels like they were going for a less heroic start with a deeper redemption plot.

Can't have John be as evil as the others or the redemption rings hollow, can't sing Colors of the Wind to the governor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

Star trek in general, probably owing to the time it was produced, has a weird mix of high tech stuff combined with everyone being unspeakably twee in their hobbies. I assume because that's part of the vision, everyone is just very wholesome and folksy in the things they enjoy and being able to do that is part of the dream of it being the post scarcity future.

Speaking of the time in which it was made, remember TNG and DS9 are in the 80s and 90s, even assuming the writers are nerd enough to be into video games, they're firmly in the 8-bit to 16-bit eras at the times of writing. The idea of virtual reality that the holodeck represents is far removed from anything in reality to compare it with, and the writers probably wisely don't even try.

There are some interesting aspects where holodeck simulations come off more today as... almost like indie video games, or at least like swapping Mario Maker levels, where while there's mass-market and off-the-shelf stuff a lot of it is put together by hobbyists and shared with friends. Maybe even more like computer-assisted roleplaying. Speaking of, Vic Fontaine is interesting since his self-awareness, amusingly, actually functions as a safety feature that lets him interact with the world outside the holodeck, and identify holo-addiction and even turn himself off if necessary. The kinda thing the holodeck could probably use more of, given cases like Moriarty and Dr Chaotica.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My wife likes dumb action movies so we watched Equilibrium.

What a honkin' turd of a movie.

It's The Giver + The Matrix + V for Vendetta + Ayn Rand's Anthem.

The premise is that people take drugs to suppress all feeling/emotion.

So why do people have spouses? Isn't that just asking for trouble? Doesn't that mean they have sex? Wouldn't a dystopian government like this just grow babies in labs and raise them in communal homes?

Despite "not having feelings," the characters constantly show anger, distrust, skepticism, paranoia, jealousy, pride, etc.

Christian Bale being able to do Matrix-level gun-fu despite being a simple human was dumb dumb dumb. I don't care how much training you have, it's stupid.

Hey, we're gonna take away your weapons, but we didn't notice you have government-issue gun holsters in your sleeves (said massive Desert Eagle-esque guns somehow are not noticeable on camera either)

Sean Bean is only in like 5 minutes of the movie (but appropriately, dies)

A lady is arrested for *gasp* having feelings. We see a ton of people just get executed point-blank, but she gets a special ceremony, scheduled for days later, where they dress her in a ceremonial robe and slowly feed her to an incinerator. Seems like a lot of pageantry for a society without emotion.

Lol, the incinerator is in an underground facility, but once you close the furnace doors, you can't stop the process because the "incinerator turbines will explode right under the city." What? What?! The incinerator is the size of a closet but requires "turbines" that are apt to explode and take out the city if you change your mind about having the fire turn on? And you're doing this WHY instead of just shooting people like you do a hundred times per day?

In a world where any and all art/entertainment is outlawed, all the contraband rooms only contain "high art" like paintings, sculpture, classic literature, etc. But the reality is that if all of that stuff was outlawed, the items with great volume would be the most common to still exist and also not need missed. The contraband rooms would be filled with Underarmor shirts, old Barbie dolls, broken CD cases, Disney merchandise, Coca Cola bottles, etc. Instead, this one city has literal museums worth of priceless art hidden behind drywall.

On that note, in the beginning they find a painting of the Mona Lisa and do a special analysis to determine that it's the "real" one, then burn it. But who cares? Real or not, they'd burn it.

They also mention that a special team comes in to destroy all these artifacts, but also sometimes they just burn them on the spot, but sometimes they "miss" things so it's not that weird to just take one item on your own to dispose of?

Wouldn't a world like this have daily drug tests to make sure you're taking your soma equilibrium juice?

The action pieces were so, SO stupid. I can't express it enough.

Wow, this movie sucked.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Counterpoint: Equilibrium is, in fact, good because it is the right kind of stupid.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Counterpoint:

Also the hypocrisy and doomed nature of the system is the point and Equilibrium is a much smarter movie than most people think

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah I get the vibe it's basically meant to be Prohibition and about as effective. The point is the villains have stupid, ineffective plans which still cause tons of damage and death and also inevitably lead to their downfall.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

Also the hypocrisy and doomed nature of the system is the point and Equilibrium is a much smarter movie than most people think

No, it's not very smart at all and that "message" is not exactly clever or subtle.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Wait for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzj7FtU85k

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Eclipse12 posted:

Yo, my dude(tte), I think you might be applying a level of criticism to the flick that is way too serious for what is a really just a cheese-sandwich action vehicle for early-middle career Christian Bale where they ram Fahrenheit 451, the Matrix, and Brave New World together.

Alternatively, apply the same type of critique to Happy Gilmore, cuz that'll be fuckin' hilarious.

Edit:

Rascar Capac posted:

Counterpoint: Equilibrium is, in fact, good because it is the right kind of stupid.

:yeah:

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

No, it's not very smart at all and that "message" is not exactly clever or subtle.

Pls quote my whole post if you are going to reply, I don't want to be misunderstood

(full transparency I didn't realize we weren't in CineD)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like all of the inconsistencies in equilibrium work fine because the the point of the movie is that the government and the society don't actually work. So it makes perfect sense that the emotion suppressing drugs don't actually suppress all emotions, that emotions which are useful to the perpetuation of the power of the state are excluded from the concept, that the rules are not enforced consistently, and that there is nonsensical obsession with symbolic actions that are ultimately counterproductive. Which is portrayed ultimately by the fact that at the end of the movie the guys at the top are all not taking the drugs and still can do the magic gun kung fu which is the only thing their government can be said to have produced. The control mechanisms do not produce a better society and the people in charge of that society know it, they're purely about controlling the majority of people through terror and disruption.

Because all of that is the nature of real life fascist governments, it being so loving stupid adds to the wrongness of it all, the system doesn't just not work, it doesn't even make sense if you think about it for five minutes, but yet still it persists and fucks up everybody's lives in the process. There's plenty of real life stuff that works that way, so it doesn't, to me, make a huge amount of sense to expect a movie to portray a fictional oppressive regime as somehow actually consistent and sensible when the point of the movie is that they're the bad guys because the nature of what they are is hosed up and stupid.

Intentional or not I think it would be weird if the movie were written such that the bad guys were consistent and coherent enough that the audience might get the idea "well it's wrong that they do this stuff but you can't deny that it works" because that undermines the fundamental point. It's wrong that they do it and also it's stupid and doesn't work, much like real life. Your fascist bad guys don't have to have a point.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:55 on May 14, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Eclipse12 posted:

What a honkin' turd of a movie.

It's The Giver + The Matrix + V for Vendetta + Ayn Rand's Anthem.

What? No. It's Brave New World + Fahrenheit 451 + 1984 + gun magic and it is one of the shiniest turds ever to be put on a screen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Subtlety is for novels.

Cinema should be big, crass, and stupid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Subtlety is for novels.

Cinema should be big, crass, and stupid.

I wonder how starship troopers fits into that, because it's very much those things but it plays it straight enough that apparently its point is too subtle for some people :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Alas, I tried looking online for a mashup version of this scene and Christian Bale's rant from Terminator: Salvation but came up empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Equilibrium also has the quintessential Sean Bean role. Just distills what he does for a movie down to its purest elements: shows up, adds gravitas, immediately gets killed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gnoman posted:

The governor and Smith wants different things from the land, but that doesn't make Smith altruistic.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't have John be as evil as the others or the redemption rings hollow, can't sing Colors of the Wind to the governor.

I hated the song Savages even though it's got a good beat, because the natives are loving RIGHT and to show them as bad as the English invaders is loving dumb. The English literally showed up and started taking poo poo, shot at members of the tribe, killed at least one if not more, but bOtH sIdEs ArE tHe SaMe. NO they loving are not! The English literally started everything, and Kocoum attacked Smith, yes, but that was after some of the tribe had already been attacked, and he had no way of knowing Smith wasn't going to kill her too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s always the English

Or the goddamn Bulgarians

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Didn't realize I was kicking a hornet nest by besmirching Equilibrium 😅

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hated the song Savages even though it's got a good beat, because the natives are loving RIGHT and to show them as bad as the English invaders is loving dumb. The English literally showed up and started taking poo poo, shot at members of the tribe, killed at least one if not more, but bOtH sIdEs ArE tHe SaMe. NO they loving are not! The English literally started everything, and Kocoum attacked Smith, yes, but that was after some of the tribe had already been attacked, and he had no way of knowing Smith wasn't going to kill her too.

Pocahontas is bad movie for a lot of reasons

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Eclipse12 posted:

Didn't realize I was kicking a hornet nest by besmirching Equilibrium 😅

It's a silly, dumb, dumb movie that gave us the gift of gun fu and Taye Diggs' face being sliced off. The same director also did Ultraviolet, which is not nearly as enjoyable in its schlocky-ness

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There are boring bad movies and there are entertaining bad movies, and Equilibrium is as deep in the latter category as possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the weeble magazines that he has that are specifically designed for chucking into the middle of a room so you can flip onto them to reload your guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weEXyoXZKs

Honestly the whole finale of the movie is very good, and the gun-slap-fight they have at the end is fun too.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:57 on May 14, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The same director also did Ultraviolet, which is not nearly as enjoyable in its schlocky-ness
Ultraviolet is, however, a better Aeon Flux movie than the Aeon Flux movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ultraviolet is basically IIMM the movie. The biggest being that the movie completely drops the ball on explaining why being a vampire is a bad thing. As is it seems like you get superpowers for no trade off.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
Milla Jovovich is a good action lead and I'd have rather she got to do her thing in Ultraviolet sequels rather than a million Resident Evils

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Milla Jovovich has been in exactly one decent action movie.

Wait wait, I kind of liked The Messenger but god that opening scene is so unecessary

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Ultraviolet is basically IIMM the movie. The biggest being that the movie completely drops the ball on explaining why being a vampire is a bad thing. As is it seems like you get superpowers for no trade off.
Weren't they factory farming humans? That seems kinda bad.

Like maybe it's not bad being a vampire, but it's bad to be a vampire what with the food supply being what it is

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Carthag Tuek posted:

in the rodrigues alita, hugo buys her a chocolate. its huge. its gotta be 500 grams at least. assuming its not made from bugs (which i would be ok with btw, future food producers), the logistics of growing enough cocoa trees to make the chocolate you can press it into massive solid bars that are still cheap enough to sell in street markets. if it was a black market, i would be ok with it,

Clearly, it was a black chocolate market.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

FFT posted:

Weren't they factory farming humans? That seems kinda bad.

Like maybe it's not bad being a vampire, but it's bad to be a vampire what with the food supply being what it is

I don't think they ever even consume blood in the movie, but it's been a minute. I do remember her vaguely implying she has a limited life span left, but it didn't seem to go anywhere.

It even more confusing since it seems pretty far into the future, but the flashbacks are extremely like 80s or 90s with the outfits and so on. And the bad guy was a like an early 20s kid in them?

It's a real bad movie.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

re: factory farming humans for blood I may be remembering Blade Trinity or something

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I like the weeble magazines that he has that are specifically designed for chucking into the middle of a room so you can flip onto them to reload your guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weEXyoXZKs

Honestly the whole finale of the movie is very good, and the gun-slap-fight they have at the end is fun too.

Bad Guy’s Giant Head on Screen: What’re you gonna do, kill all my guys, cut off my henchman’s face and murder me?

Christian Bale: *kills all his guys, cuts off his henchman’s face and murders him*

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's. Called. Gun. Kata.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I would of called it Shooty Shooty, punch kick. But whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Pocahontas is bad movie for a lot of reasons

It's almost like it was written, directed and produced by a bunch of clueless old men.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FFT posted:

re: factory farming humans for blood I may be remembering Blade Trinity or something

See now this is a BAD BAD movie, not a redeemingly entertaining bad movie like Equilibrium.
gently caress. I wish I could forget watching blade 3.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The stories that came out of Blade 3 filming do make it kinda worth it. Apparently Wesley Snipes would communicate only through post-it-notes and signed each one Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8rCtzKA9tQ

FFT posted:

Or Daybreakers from 2009 with Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe.