Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Just finished up the Zora quests, goddamn it's so much fun to bullet time on command and snipe a bunch of fools, I used up half my arrows and I have zero regrets. Also rip to Sidlink. Not that this will stop anyone, but drat Nintendo went all out trying to sink that ship

Of the three temples I've done the Goron one is currently my least favorite, but I attribute that mostly to running on very little sleep and finding Yunobo's ability to be inconsistent on what it does when it hits something. I swear every lava rock slope I tried to make made Yunobo bounce off on impact so I just stopped trying to make them... and then the one time it was hard-required for a puzzle I didn't even try making one for half an hour because of my prior experiences and when I finally did give in it worked flawlessly first try. And then I tried to make another one for a puzzle literally behind me and it immediately exploded again. :v:

That being said the lead-up to that area more than makes up for it. Just casually diving into a volcano with my bro, launching him at enemies while I hang back at a safe distance farming ore, and making an all terrain vehicle to drive across the goo. Also me fumbling around like an idiot for several hours meant my attempt to cheese with Ascend led to Link popping his head up from a lava lake and that also makes up for me being dumb.

Oh also, related story musings based on the beard and the color respectively, I'm pretty sure the ancient Sages of Fire and Water were supposed to be takes on Darunia and Ruto (accounting for the Zora redesigns) so idk why the Sage of Wind seemed so un-Medli-like (yes I still know that wasn't her WW element). Maybe the voice threw me off? I can barely see poo poo in the misty vision anyway so who knows. I guess we'll see what happens with the Gerudo since based on something I read in Kakariko, Spirit isn't a thing this time around

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What do people consider a good order for doing hearts/stamina? I've done two of each so far, hearts are obviously good for survivability, but I also see the use of stamina early on to help with exploration/overworld travel before you build up a big map of shrines and other waypoints.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What do people consider a good order for doing hearts/stamina? I've done two of each so far, hearts are obviously good for survivability, but I also see the use of stamina early on to help with exploration/overworld travel before you build up a big map of shrines and other waypoints.

i did a couple hearts + first dungeon reward but made getting another stamina wheel a priority. before you start getting your armour upgrades pretty much everything that isn't a bottom tier bokoblin with a stick will nearly one-shot you anyway

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

first a couple hearts so not everything killed me in 1 hit, then stamina so i can fly and climb further.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I did a ton of exploring early so I went Stamina until I had at least a full 2nd bar. Makes a huge difference for traversal. The Wind Temple was fine with only 5 hearts. I then went to 10 hearts and have kinda been alternating since because I don't feel I'm really lacking either.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i had forgotten what a massive difference the armour upgrades make, been so long since i played botw. unfortunately the heavier stuff needs bokoblin guts which refuse to drop no matter how many encampments i slaughter :negative:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

"I'm sure Lindor's Brow Cave is a perfectly reasonable place to explore" - my brain 30 seconds before something that really should not be the final image in my head before going to sleep but nevertheless is

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
ADDISON

WHY HERE

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Geez, the cave under Lookout Town that you reach from the shelter really is huge.

I did Fire Temple earlier—honestly fine, not mind-blowing but very well put together. Going to poke around the map for a while before doing Water.

The first time I caught a falling star I thought it was amazing, I still think it’s great because it means I don’t have to worry as much about going and finding the other ones I see. If it just randomly happens as I use towers I should accumulate them naturally.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so, korok forest sure is something, huh :stare:

couldnt figure out how to get in until i saw the hole leading underground. then when i was down there, i got chased by the loving ganon hands again, which is extra terrifying when its pitch black and you cant see where you're going, and then i finally made it to safety inside the forest... only for all my little buddies to be as still as statues... :ohdear:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Almost forgot to say though because I wasn’t even thinking of it as part of the dungeon, the lead-up to Fire Temple is fantastic though. Flying around the mountain shooting Yunobo at the monster might be my favorite sequence so far!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Climbing up a tower, having a great time, climbing up a tower gonna glide over to the shri-OH DEAR GOD THERE'S A THREE HEADED DRAGON UP HERE AND IT'S SHOOTING LIGHTENING AT ME!

This game keeps finding new ways to surprise and terrify me, I love it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey I’m in the depths

It says I can throw brightbloom

But when I follow the instructions (dpad up, then right bumper) it doesn’t get the brightbloom ready to throw. Has anyone else run into this bug?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I’m in the depths

But when I follow the instructions (dpad up, then right bumper) it doesn’t get the brightbloom ready to throw. Has anyone else run into this bug?

Just drop it and smack it, or fuse to an arrow.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I’m in the depths

Hold right bumper (so you're aiming as if to throw your weapon), and then hold dpad up.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I’m in the depths

Hold right bumper, then dpad up to switch to throwing an item instead of your held weapon

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hrm... I'm running into issues with loading again, I hope my switch isn't just knackered

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm happy I waited until doing the Wind and Thunder Temple dungeons before really getting into exploiting things. Having the rewards from those two is surprisingly helpful. (Wind Temple) Tulin's great for the exploration, obviously. But he's also incredibly accurate with his bow for interrupting enemies, and the gust is also great for blowing away the tougher ones if they get too close. (Thunder Temple) Riju, on the other hand, is fantastic for combat, obviously. Her cooldown is very quick, and does a ton of damage and she's no slouch on her own while waiting for another lightning strike. However, what I've most appreciated about having her along is using her lightning to break rock walls. Saves me a ton of time fiddling around with making rock-bashing weapons (even while using them while waiting for her cooldown I still save a ton of durability), and let's me stock up on bomb flowers since I'm not tempted to use those instead.

Minor, unrelated, quibble. I'm a tiny bit disappointed they didn't do much, if any, dialogue or NPC interactions accounting for quest progression during them, or between different ones with related subjects. For example, the geoglyphs. Coming across Impa in various spots, particularly after completing a dungeon, and she's wondering about where the geoglyph for the area is. It'd be nice if there was a few seconds of Link telling her about it and the Memory if you've already come across it.

Regarding the different quests with related subjects, it'd be nice if, whenever an NPC asks about where Zelda wound up immediately after disappearing, the game acknowledges that you've seen a Memory that tells you she wound up in the past. I've only seen the first five Memories, so I don't know everything yet, but Link's seen enough and it just feels a bit like he's intentionally avoiding the subject or hiding information at this point.

I understand why, it takes a lot of work to get something like that set up and going, increasing exponentially the more quests you start cross referencing, and then there's the costs for voice actors going over extra lines. But still, every time I notice a missed moment there could have been an interconnected line or two, it makes me a tiny bit sad.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 15, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
wellp, i found the master sword

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/eyecager/status/1657813381141921793?t=SeH2tmnwe1YmmqbPQBSQ9A&s=19

lol

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Rito dungeon skydiving through the boss while the Rito theme blasts was loving rad

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hogama posted:

ADDISON

WHY HERE

At this point I fully would not be surprised if I enter the final chamber for a showdown with Ganon and it’s just loving Addison holding a sign.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just appreciate that he doesn't build the sign properly once it's balanced, he just reinforces the side he was holding.

Also Addison why are you stacking two signs on one pole sometimes? Hudson won't be happy if he finds you're fudging your sign quotas!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
lmao I think this game is killing my Switch

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Climbing up a tower, having a great time, climbing up a tower gonna glide over to the shri-OH DEAR GOD THERE'S A THREE HEADED DRAGON UP HERE AND IT'S SHOOTING LIGHTENING AT ME!

This game keeps finding new ways to surprise and terrify me, I love it.

I was gliding down as I ambled my way towards a tower and saw that thing on the way in the distance, zoomed in, and nope'd my way in a slightly longer but less dragony path.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My bows are breaking way fast from overuse

Is there a good place to farm bows

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Shoehead posted:

Mine sure is making weird grumbling noises when the fan spins. But I haven't used in in 2 years before ToTK came out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a good place to farm for bows? I’m destroying them way fast because they took away my bombs

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

wellp, i found the master sword

Is it still damaged when you find it again?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

So I suffered through the Rito quest freezing my rear end off and constantly dying of the cold, only to finally beat the boss and discover... there's cold armor gear on sale in the Rito Village.

Nooooo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Necrothatcher posted:

So I suffered through the Rito quest freezing my rear end off and constantly dying of the cold, only to finally beat the boss and discover... there's cold armor gear on sale in the Rito Village.

Nooooo

:lol:

The game even tells you to stock up on cold weather gear at the Rito village at several points in the village, and ambient locations on the way to the village.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Someone give me a spoilery way to upgrade my cells. Ain't no way the intended method is to bring 30 chunks at a time to that armory in the tutorial area that you can't fast travel to, buy like ten pieces of the crystals, wait for the restock until you can afford to go to the refinery that you Can fast travel to

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ice tip

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7232772888749673770

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

MorningMoon posted:

Someone give me a spoilery way to upgrade my cells. Ain't no way the intended method is to bring 30 chunks at a time to that armory in the tutorial area that you can't fast travel to, buy like ten pieces of the crystals, wait for the restock until you can afford to go to the refinery that you Can fast travel to

I’ve met two more vendors who trade the crystals. Both of which were in the underground

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MorningMoon posted:

There’s more cell refineries in the world. Hell there’s one right outside lookout camp, I think. In regards to the crystals, there’s a few spots where you can find/earn a shitload of them. Specifically the various mines in the depth are covered in the stuff. I ended with like 400 crystals last night just exploring the depths and I didn’t cover much ground

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Lol no one loaded into this stable but I could use the counter and it locked the game... uhh..

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are other refineries, with more charges at a time, I've found one in the depths below the Great Plateau

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The fire temple straight up looks like izalith from dark souls 1. I saw that poo poo in the distance and wondered why the gently caress the demon ruins were in the game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a good place to farm for bows? I’m destroying them way fast because they took away my bombs

Do you remember where you found more than one bow? Go back there after a blood moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm surprised so many people go back to the tutorial island for the energy cells, the robits even tell you over and over that the mines are nearly depleted and the real good stuff is in the depths.

At some points I appreciate how often nintendo just repeats things over and over and over and really hammers the important stuff into peoples heads with red highlighted text because of how often people gross over it or would forget it in such a massive game.