Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Captain Log posted:

Grace looks like such a happy little bean. I know she's going to get better with all that love she lives around. :derptiel:

she did not at all want to take the antinflammatories by beak so i have been putting it on a little of her favourite food (egg >_>) and she sits on my shoulder in the morning and eats it out of a tiny bowl.

the new routine has clicked (just as we approach the end); this morning she bumbled across to the top corner of the big cage and was waiting for me to put her on my shoulder so that she could get her morning egg treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Healing eggy breakfast :3:

Any time Pookie's on her own at home for a while, we stick on long youtube videos of bird rooms to keep her company. I just came home while this one was playing, and got a demonstration of just how LOUD a moluccan cockatoo can get. Like, I have heard them before, but not in an indoor space and at full volume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGpqLi8xfQ&t=4577s

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can anyone recommend a trimming perch for an African Grey? His nails are very sharp. I have an appt for him in a few days but I'd like to see what I can do to minimize that. I have a couple perches in his cage already but they aren't doing poo poo.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I've heard that the perches aren't much good in general and are more likely to irritate a parrot's feet than do much else. That being said I've never owned one made out of anything grittier than pumice so :shrug:

I've been considering getting one of those little dremmels that are marketed for cutting baby's fingernails, I wonder if that might work better than clippers?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Pookah posted:

Any time Pookie's on her own at home for a while, we stick on long youtube videos of bird rooms to keep her company. I just came home while this one was playing, and got a demonstration of just how LOUD a moluccan cockatoo can get. Like, I have heard them before, but not in an indoor space and at full volume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KGpqLi8xfQ&t=4577s

It's astonishing how loud moluccan cockatoos can get if they want to. I have no idea how moluccan owners stay sane, even with earplugs and healthy expectations!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's everything a bird needs because it's everything a bird is!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scientists Taught Pet Parrots to Video Call Each Other—and the Birds Loved It (via the Smithsonian)

quote:

Domesticated parrots that learned to initiate video chats with other pet parrots had a variety of positive experiences, such as learning new skills, researchers from Northeastern University, the University of Glasgow and MIT report this month in Proceedings of the 2023 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
During the first two weeks of the study, owners taught their birds to ring a bell, then touch an image of another pet parrot on a tablet screen to initiate a video call. In this initial phase, the participating birds made 212 video calls while their owners carefully monitored their behavior. Owners terminated calls as soon as the birds stopped paying attention to the screen and capped their duration at five minutes. Though 18 parrots began the experiment, three dropped out.

Once the birds had learned how to initiate video interactions, the second phase of the experiment could begin. In this “open call” period, the 15 participating birds could make calls freely; they also got to choose which bird to dial up. Over the next two months, pet parrots made 147 deliberate video calls to other birds. Their owners took detailed notes about the calls and recorded more than 1,000 hours of video footage that the researchers analyzed.

For starters, they found that the parrots took advantage of the opportunity to call one another, and they typically stayed on the call for the maximum time allowed during the experiment. They also seemed to understand that another live bird was on the other side of the screen, not a recorded bird, researchers say. Some of the parrots learned new skills from their virtual companions, including flying, foraging and how to make new sounds.
:kimchi:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

mediaphage, how is the little blue bean doing?

Also I just noticed that a bunch of y'all have adorable feathers for your Platinum User icon. Does that signify birb royalty or something?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

we’re in a bit of a holding pattern. there’s still not flying or really much of an attempt at it, and her gait and climbing are a little off - i’ve been starting to think that she injured more than just a wing. but msk injuries do take a long time to heal for any kind of animal so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we contacted the vet and he said it’s fine to keep giving her more anti inflammatories for the time being because it does seem to be helping. so we bought a full bottle and have been giving her 0.06ml (lol) every morning. i put it on a little bit of egg in a tiny bowl and she sits on my shoulder and eats it up.

alex is getting a little stressed by the situation and will go to a spot on the desk, make eye contact with her, and then hold on to the perch and flap really hard, which isn’t something he’s done much since he was a baby - all in an attempt to get her to fly to him

we’re mostly still carrying her wherever she signals she wants to go, and we keep a space heater in the room to make sure it doesn’t go below 75°f. and keep the lights turned a little lower during the day, all to keep them calmer.

she’s definitely better than she was - but still lots of extra sleeping and is kinda plateaued for the moment.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mediaphage posted:

we’re in a bit of a holding pattern. there’s still not flying or really much of an attempt at it, and her gait and climbing are a little off - i’ve been starting to think that she injured more than just a wing. but msk injuries do take a long time to heal for any kind of animal so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we contacted the vet and he said it’s fine to keep giving her more anti inflammatories for the time being because it does seem to be helping. so we bought a full bottle and have been giving her 0.06ml (lol) every morning. i put it on a little bit of egg in a tiny bowl and she sits on my shoulder and eats it up.

alex is getting a little stressed by the situation and will go to a spot on the desk, make eye contact with her, and then hold on to the perch and flap really hard, which isn’t something he’s done much since he was a baby - all in an attempt to get her to fly to him

we’re mostly still carrying her wherever she signals she wants to go, and we keep a space heater in the room to make sure it doesn’t go below 75°f. and keep the lights turned a little lower during the day, all to keep them calmer.

she’s definitely better than she was - but still lots of extra sleeping and is kinda plateaued for the moment.

Omg, bless both of their tiny little hearts :cry:

It sounds like you're doing an incredible job of keeping them each as comfortable and reassured as possible. Thank you for being an excellent pet parent.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mediaphage posted:

I'm so, so happy she is getting such excellent care from her Birb Parents. I keep checking the thread for updates, and I'm glad she is hanging in there.

Serra had her yearly vet checkup yesterday. She was not pleased.

She had to wait on the table, and was still not pleased.

Uh oh, here comes the vet -

But here is where it gets crazy. She is listed in her chart as an obese bird. But they see my charts about her food intake, and also have seen her for her entire life. The avian vet told me they are implementing new ways to determine if a bird is obese, and they would be using those with Serra today.

There was some sort of body test, maybe called a keel score? I don't know. The vet said 1 is a bad, flabby, obese parrot. 5 is a parrot that is all muscles, but that classification is almost exclusively for free flying males.

Serra scored a five. He told me she does not carry much fat at all, and has incredibly good musculature.

She is just a giant. He said she might be the biggest cockatiel he has ever seen in decades of work that was healthy.

Bear witness to the fitness of the modern 144g Borb, whose chart no longer classifies her as overweight or obese.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
144g of pure whupass

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
PEAK BIRDFORMANCE.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You may not like it, but this is what beak performance looks like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

You may not like it, but this is what beak performance looks like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Aw, is that her daily egg nibble?

Congrats on your Olympic tier bird bod, Serra! What a bad bitch

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Aw, is that her daily egg nibble?

Congrats on your Olympic tier bird bod, Serra! What a bad bitch

ya that was this morning right after she wiped all the egg off her beak onto my neck

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Serra! Congrats on being a giantess!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

such a queen

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

I'm so, so happy she is getting such excellent care from her Birb Parents. I keep checking the thread for updates, and I'm glad she is hanging in there.

Serra had her yearly vet checkup yesterday. She was not pleased.

She legit looks like a goddamn chicken in this picture.
I think you got conned and were sold a chicken pretending to be a cockatiel.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Absolute unit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bird Crazies: this is what beak performance looks like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

waiting to introduce a whole need cockatiel breed: the amazon

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I was so excited for the triumphant conclusion to this saga that I shared it with the group chat, backstory and all. That photo of her in borb mode but staring down the camera like a not-so-tiny angry eagle is just too loving good to not share with the world.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also seconding this, how could we not?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My Gawd, all these comments have been such a pleasure. I love you all. :derptiel:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I agree in wondering how I go about requesting the bird crazies feather plat icon, and my bird crazies tag went away when I changed my avatar to match my randomly assigned new name :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Good chonkatiel update! Love seeing her majestic pose :derptiel:

Sweet little Grace, such a good birb nibbling her egg medicine. I hope she's feeling much better soon.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Unsinkabear posted:

Also I just noticed that a bunch of y'all have adorable feathers for your Platinum User icon. Does that signify birb royalty or something?

A mysterious benefactor floated through here a few months ago and left lovely feather icons and little bird-related comments.
It was very sweet :3:

Also, I meant to say, I am so glad Grace is holding her own and eating her wholesome eggy medication. That her partner is trying to encourage her to fly is just ridiculously sweet.
Birds are so dang loving, and hardly anyone knows about it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

LAB also gave them out a few years back while she was an admin. I got one even though I just lurk here for bird pictures.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Khizan posted:

LAB also gave them out a few years back while she was an admin. I got one even though I just lurk here for bird pictures.

:rip: to a real one :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Unsinkabear posted:

:rip: to a real one :(

She's very much still alive! Lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah posted:

A mysterious benefactor floated through here a few months ago and left lovely feather icons and little bird-related comments.
It was very sweet :3:

Also, I meant to say, I am so glad Grace is holding her own and eating her wholesome eggy medication. That her partner is trying to encourage her to fly is just ridiculously sweet.
Birds are so dang loving, and hardly anyone knows about it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I'm finding sprouted bird seeds in my house plants and I'm thinking Pesto might be discovering farming

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Plant MONSTER. posted:

She's very much still alive! Lol

Oh wild, I knew she was alive (lol) but for some reason thought she quit the forums.

:3::cry:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I'm finding sprouted bird seeds in my house plants and I'm thinking Pesto might be discovering farming

look for some people farming is a calling

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, definitely doing this.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh, by the way, if people want feather icons y'all gonna have to wait for me to figure out how to do custom plat icons. I actually do not know how to do that! It is a mystery to me!

I'll look into it later when I have a chance and see if I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

Oh, by the way, if people want feather icons y'all gonna have to wait for me to figure out how to do custom plat icons. I actually do not know how to do that! It is a mystery to me!

I'll look into it later when I have a chance and see if I can't figure it out.

Yes please and thank you :stoked:

Tux being adorable right before he bit me