Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Is there a list of all currently available law choices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Care Houses. Now that we've got a functioning healthcare system, we need somewhere to put the ones too sick to work.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Care houses.

They're kind of necessary to flesh out the healthcare system.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Boat Stuck posted:

Is there a list of all currently available law choices?

House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Soup/Food Additives, Ceremonial Funerals, Triage, and Care House. I'll be adding all of these as well as techs to the OP as they become available, for the people who wanted to see my thoughts on them.

Update on previous page, btw

Remalle fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 15, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Ceremonial Funerals Maybe wait until we know about Winterhome, one way or the other.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Care houses

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Soup in honour of us being about to make contact with the wonderous city of Winterhome!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Soup.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Care houses

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Care House

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Care houses!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

soup

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Care Houses.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Care Houses

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Care Houses

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Pretty obvious which law's getting passed next but still, Care Houses.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Soup is good food.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Let's have some soup.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere, it's getting cold, I could do with some soup, too.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Is there any explanation in game why great freeze caused people to migrate to North Pole, of all places in the world, instead of some warmer place which would be literally anywhere else (sans South Pole)?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure that they aren't migrating towards the north pole as much as they are migrating towards the coal country that happens to be there.

Regardless, I think the fun part is when the wild animals start freezing solid, or running out of things to feed themselves with, I don't exactly see a thriving ocean from which seals can snatch fish.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Yeah the rationale for moving north is that there's enough coal up there to run the generators. There's nowhere on the planet that isn't freezing, even towards the equator, and according to the backstory the tropical places were hardest hit by the initial ice storms, which crept up from the south. Also Britain did send evacuees south, they just got swallowed up by the aforementioned ice storms. A lot of backstory elements are filled in by the relics you can find only in Endless mode, so I'll definitely be showing all of them off at some point.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 16, 2023

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Eleven
Continuing in the trend of taking care of our most vulnerable, the people have voted to institute a care house for our worst off.

They won't take up room in our medical posts, and won't consume as many resources, for as long as it takes to make a full recovery.

This cave is or was inhabited. There are a number of footprints leading to its entrance. We should check if there's still someone alive up there.

Scout team two has found more survivors. As they approach, however...

We can hear terrified shrieks coming from a cave uphill. When we come closer, several polar bears turn towards us, blocking the entrance. There are people trapped inside, and those beasts are picking them off one by one and feasting on them!

Polar bears! We cannot let them have their way with these people. There are children there! The scouts will have to drive the bears off with what they have on hand; we never expected them to have to get into such a serious scrap!

When our scouts attacked the bears, the people in the cave joined them and together they drove the beasts away. Then they all set out towards our city.

The cave is a grisly scene. Bloody chunks of flesh and bones are strewn everywhere. The carcasses have been torn into unrecognisable shreds. It's impossible to tell human and animal remains apart.

Though the bears will likely be back to feast on the remaining... remains, our scouts managed to successfully drive them off long enough to rescue 34 people. Three cheers for our brave scouts!

The number of ill is beginning to outpace our capacity again, so we give our patients extra rations to encourage faster healing.

The care house is placed. Hopefully we won't need it too soon!

With all of the advances we've been making lately, and the direction towards which our society is progressing with each law, hope is at an all-time high this morning.

We can now work on more advanced designs, or refine some of our existing ones further. I will go over the newly available options at another time. With the new tools our engineers get to work improving our steelworks.

We'll need all the steel we can get if we want our incoming refugees and our tent-dwellers all in bunkhouses.

Our steelworks can now be upgraded with steam power to extract and refine iron even faster. I order the sawmill design to be similarly improved.

With all of these people and the automaton running around, we actually have some people sitting around idle with nothing to do! I will have to get another sawmill or two set up soon so they can start earning their keep. Before I can do that, though, the news comes in from scout team one.

We climbed up to the edge of the city. We stood there speechless, staring at the scene of devastation. It's a city of the dead. Most of the buildings are destroyed and the Generator has exploded.

The streets of the ruined city are littered with scores of dead bodies. The city chronicle describes the shortage of food and citizens' increasing despair, the following squabbles, riots and descent into anarchy, fights for dwindling resources and the eventual starvation... The last entry: "God forgive us, we're eating our dead. There's no hope."

Our worst fears have been realized.

The news has shocked everyone in the city. There were supposed to be many settlements and construction crews here, people living normal lives in homes heated by Generators...
But we're alone.

Winterhome has fallen.

"They're all dead?! How will we survive here without any help? We have to go back to London! There's no hope for us here in this frozen desert!"
People start to gather as the news of the fate of Winterhome spreads through the city. Some of them want to drop everything and flee to London. Panic is starting to set in.

I must give them purpose.

People are shaken, racked by fear and doubt. They've lost hope in our chances of survival. Desperation could quickly push them to commit reckless acts.
You have to unite them behind a vision of the future. Decide now what will give them purpose and restore hope, or else our city will descend into the chaos that consumed Winterhome.

Will our future be secured through Order and Discipline?

Or will it be saved through Faith and Spiritual Strength?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

No atheists in a foxhole I guess, now's the time for the opiate of the masses.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Religion will save us.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let's give this faith and spiritual strength thing a shot, who knows how it'll do?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Order.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Faith and Spiritual Strength

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Order and discipline.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Order. Nothing a stiff upper lip couldn't get us through.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Order.
You cannot pray the cold away.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Religion. We will prevail in the name of Eternal Engine and Holy Steam.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Szarrukin posted:

Religion. We will prevail in the name of Eternal Engine and Holy Steam.

What a load of hot air! :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Order

Mechanics talk regarding the bear fight: It's a 50-50 coinflip if your scouts survive. The people will use the opportunity to start running towards your town, and if you intercept them quickly enough with a second team of scouts, none of them will die. There is another big obvious risk later in the game, and as far as I know, it will always give you the opposite result of the one you received in the bear cave. Unfortunately, that second risk location is far more important, and if you don't follow up on it, despite the losses it will cause, you miss out on a lot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

my dad posted:

Order

Mechanics talk regarding the bear fight: It's a 50-50 coinflip if your scouts survive. The people will use the opportunity to start running towards your town, and if you intercept them quickly enough with a second team of scouts, none of them will die. There is another big obvious risk later in the game, and as far as I know, it will always give you the opposite result of the one you received in the bear cave. Unfortunately, that second risk location is far more important, and if you don't follow up on it, despite the losses it will cause, you miss out on a lot.

Yep

Order by the way, British after all

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Order, if God was going to save you, He would have done it by now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Have you not read the Bible recently? Needlessly waiting until the last minute while the people languish in agony is God's style.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Order I suppose.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

waiter, i believe that i ordered some soup

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If they had built a pub and a fight club sooner they'd probably have been fine

Let's go with Order but hope it's not all bullshit 80s British fascist options that we all know it's definitely just going to be

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've described this game as "grimdark Tropico", so expect roughly that level of depth from the game's politics.