Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i get joy out of how

becuase i like how

#blessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Opinels are very nice and I like to give them as gifts. they're weird enough and not really threatening items

also a big fan of morakniv's offerings , i have several

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Once classes are over I'm going to take all my knives into school and use the Tormek to give them a razor's edge. Satisfying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Last night i just straight up broke one of my favorite knives, a HF ceramic paring knife that i've had for about five years. the thing just folded in half. handle in my hand, blade and tang (look there's not much there ok) stuck in the sando. RIP to a king. Oh well it's four dollars, i'll go buy a couple more.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
have you considered the king double ceramic knife? it's a knife of the world

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So, i picked up a ceramic set from amazon a bit ago, and the problem is, quite simply, they're TOO Sharp.

like, there's no radius on the tip or anything, and given the material i'm pretty confident you could do eye lens surgery with it.

i will investigate though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
used to be the kyocera knives were recommended for ceramics, but idk if thats still the hot poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
got a Kalashnikov bayonet that still says СССР despite probably being manufactured this century, same with my MPL-50

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i get joy out of how

becuase i like how

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm not a big fan of ceramic knives. i don't like that they are brittle and that you can't sharpen or hone them. any tool that can't be maintained is kind of a bummer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh, i treat them like scalpels of the kitchen. couple bucks here n there. still like my 10" steel chef and my chinese veg knife a lot

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lmao ceramic knives. yeah right. what’s next? glass spatulas????

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

on the topic of sharpeners, I have one of these

it is from what I understand to be a legit brand, as are my knives, but I am seemingly doing something wrong as they don't end up that sharp. I might be using too much pressure or not enough, idk. is there like a foolproof, extremely in detail resource about how to use them? I watched the sharpeners official video but it's just like "pull the knife through the sharpener" and I'm doing that.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

use a sharpie to mark the edge of your knife, like maybe 1/8 of an inch up the side on each side.

Pull the knife through the coarse side (the grey side) a dozen times or so, while keeping the spine as wobble free as possible. light pressure (think of the level of pressure you would use when you brush your teeth)

have a look and see how much of the sharpie mark is left. if there is still sharpie mark on the very edge but part of the mark further up is gone, then you have a long way to go (to reprofile the blade to the that sharpener's angle.

if there is no mark left on the edge, then you can move on to the fine side. it takes a lot more strokes to get the knife sharp on this. it's polishing out the big scratches from the coarse side.

it should be pretty sharp after this, but the real way to truly take it to the next level is with a strop. a good coarse leather belt would work too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if it has carbide inserts, its just going to tear up the sides of the blade and not really get it very sharp. it will kind of tear through materials, so better than totally dull, but you won't get a nice clean cut out of it. if they're ceramic, maybe they work better, but i don't have experience with those in a V style

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

use a sharpie to mark the edge of your knife, like maybe 1/8 of an inch up the side on each side.

Pull the knife through the coarse side (the grey side) a dozen times or so, while keeping the spine as wobble free as possible. light pressure (think of the level of pressure you would use when you brush your teeth)

have a look and see how much of the sharpie mark is left. if there is still sharpie mark on the very edge but part of the mark further up is gone, then you have a long way to go (to reprofile the blade to the that sharpener's angle.

if there is no mark left on the edge, then you can move on to the fine side. it takes a lot more strokes to get the knife sharp on this. it's polishing out the big scratches from the coarse side.

it should be pretty sharp after this, but the real way to truly take it to the next level is with a strop. a good coarse leather belt would work too.

Thank you will try this. I hadn't picked up that the current blade might not be angled the same.

Raluek posted:

if it has carbide inserts, its just going to tear up the sides of the blade and not really get it very sharp. it will kind of tear through materials, so better than totally dull, but you won't get a nice clean cut out of it. if they're ceramic, maybe they work better, but i don't have experience with those in a V style

The fine one is ceramic, I guess the coarse one is likely carbide.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

distortion park posted:

it is from what I understand to be a legit brand, as are my knives, but I am seemingly doing something wrong as they don't end up that sharp. I might be using too much pressure or not enough, idk. is there like a foolproof, extremely in detail resource about how to use them? I watched the sharpeners official video but it's just like "pull the knife through the sharpener" and I'm doing that.

lmao

a) they couldn't use a typeface with an ẞ character (lmao)
b) they thought it was a B (lmao)

e: just remembered an extremely stupid guy from work who insisted a foreign liquour was called Nubnougat. (That's not why he was stupid, he was just really stupid in every way.)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

One knife ye hand! one life ye heart! What a perfect lie!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the coarse side is meant to only be used to get a very badly abused knife edge full of dents and nicks back to a regular shape. it's very abrasive and removes a lot of material. the fine side is what you use to get the edge. i have a lansky one like that and it gets my knife sharp enough for 90% of kitchen stuff. it's not as sharp as what you see on those insane videos where they go through 20 different grit whetstones because that is absurd.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i through out our sharpener last month. probably just gonna take them to the local butcher for sharpening

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just got a sweet new tool

They are smaller than I thought they would be, but they should be a really good replacement for my old embroidery scissors

old post but where did you get those? would be a perfect gift for my wife’s birthday.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Eeyo posted:

old post but where did you get those? would be a perfect gift for my wife’s birthday.

I just got them off Amazon, they have them at joann for an exorbitant price though

search for gingher stork embroidery scissors

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

distortion park posted:

I've had one of these for many years and it absolutely suits my needs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that video of the dude sharpening his knives on the concrete sidewalk

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

:hmmyes:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

I've had one of these for many years and it absolutely suits my needs.

split the difference fellas:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Those setups are pretty deece too yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the nice thing about the chefs choice is i can tell my kids to sharpen the knives and they come out great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the kids or the knives

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got the sharpest kids on the whole block

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

split the difference fellas:

ah yes the sharpener that takes as much skill to use as a regular stone but as good results as a pull through and rounds the tip every time

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

spyderco shartmaker

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of grinders, Wen makes a $130 tormek clone that is compatible with tormek jigs and is perfectly adequate
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-BG4270T-10-Inch-Two-Direction-Sharpening/dp/B098KG28P2/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

ah yes the sharpener that takes as much skill to use as a regular stone but as good results as a pull through and rounds the tip every time

nah you're mistaken on both counts, unless you're talkin a regular stone with a guide system, in which case it's just a different shape of basically the same thing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

nah you're mistaken on both counts, unless you're talkin a regular stone with a guide system, in which case it's just a different shape of basically the same thing

i reprofiled a d2 steel knife with one

if anything the brown stone is not anywhere near coarse enough to be useful

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean, yes? it's not really meant to reprofile blades. you are correct that using the wrong tool sucks though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the medium is ~600 grit iirc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so i really struggled with sharpening plane & chisel blades and the like and it turned out that stropping is the way to get that ball over the finish line or whatever. A strop takes your poo poo from "almost sharp enough i guess" to "ok yeah that is sharp as gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive never messed with a strop, it seemed like the sort of thing where it's gonna dull to pre-strop-capability so quickly that it never seemed worth it. i may be wrong on that

iirc the fine doodad that came with the sharpmaker gets it sharp enough to cut hair, so i usually stop there. but sometimes i use the extra sharp one and it's good. keep in mind this is basically exclusively for kitchen knives; i dont remember the last time i sharpened a pocket knife

im afraid to sharpen my santoku with it because idk what angle it's at, if it's only sharpened on one side, etc. and im afraid ill screw it up really badly