Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Didn't one of the recent high-end raids have a bunch of issues because the QA team had gotten too good?

Yeah, there was a whole thing about how they were humble bragging about it, or so the joke went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

More specifically, their explanation was that their usual method is to let the test team go at it, then tune it slightly harder than that, because they assume the public playerbase is better than the test team. The fight had a longer development time than usual, so the test team had more time to practice it, so it ended up tuned higher than usual.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tamba posted:

I did the Amaurot part of Shadowbringers at like 3am and that sure was an interesting experience compared to the usual MSQ experience of a horde of players at every quest step.

I was the only one in Amaurot both times I did it, and the first time through I didn't even consider that other players could have been around. Playing that on release seems like it would ruin the vibe of arguably the best part of the MSQ. Lonely and empty suits the area perfectly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also did some wacky things to the math such that certain team compositions, through no fault of their own, couldn't do enough damage before enrage.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 15, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Vargs posted:

I was the only one in Amaurot both times I did it, and the first time through I didn't even consider that other players could have been around. Playing that on release seems like it would ruin the vibe of arguably the best part of the MSQ. Lonely and empty suits the area perfectly.

It is pretty funny to watch the fact that the game is an MMO clash with the specific narrative they're trying to tell, I recently finished 6.0 and arriving in Ultima Thule and seeing other players was a trip. Love to wander around the decaying remnants of the ancient alien civilization of the dragons while also watching a dude fly around on his FF7 motorcycle.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I know that at least the final walk you do near the end of UT is instanced so you are really alone -- I'm surprised that it doesn't extend to the entire zone the first time you go through. Same deal with Amaurot.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I do think one of the underappreciated benefits of hammering out a new expansion over a weekend is watching the number of players around you slowly fall off the further in you get. Like my clearest memory of Heavensward is when I stepped into Churning Mists and thought to myself "I wonder how many other people are here", and doing a /sea to yield like two other people in the zone. You get to take a peek at new hunts just minding their own business before trains inevitably start turning them into swiss cheese. And you maybe get to see a few normal mode bosses clown on dudes before they start becoming a trials roulette inconvenience.

Truly a vibe.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
EW was my first expansion i got to play through on release (started June 2019, had only finished post-HW before ShB release) and I got to be alone for most of Elpis and UT. I finished Sunday afternoon so I was behind the people really racing through the game but still in front of most other people.

goblin week posted:

i wonder if the QAs for XIV have to be like, actually good at it
Other than what's been said about P8S, they rarely have to make major tweaks to fights after release from what I can remember which is a credit to their QA team. Not too many emergency maintenances or hot fixes, no public beta testing

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I started EW on release date but it took me like a month to get to the end of the story so UT was empty for me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

I do think one of the underappreciated benefits of hammering out a new expansion over a weekend is watching the number of players around you slowly fall off the further in you get. Like my clearest memory of Heavensward is when I stepped into Churning Mists and thought to myself "I wonder how many other people are here", and doing a /sea to yield like two other people in the zone. You get to take a peek at new hunts just minding their own business before trains inevitably start turning them into swiss cheese. And you maybe get to see a few normal mode bosses clown on dudes before they start becoming a trials roulette inconvenience.

Truly a vibe.

It is. I also mainlined early release weekend for every expansion (even sneaking past Raubahn Savage before the worst of the crowds arrived) and every end game zone really feels different when hardly anybody else is there as you approach the climax. The DF wait times on the final trials sucked though.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm happy to wait the days/weeks for my plugins to update because it means people already know how to do fights when I get there so I can have them explained :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Everybody getting exploded on day 1 because nobody knows how the fights work is part of the fun.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

NOT FOR ME

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm sad I took a break and missed the nier raids being new content. I can imagine the Square Enix building was a really fun moment for the community

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
It's totally fine to not want to do new content until there's guides out. Do whatever is best for your brain. I'm with Thundarr in that I love the chaos of new content though

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm sad I took a break and missed the nier raids being new content. I can imagine the Square Enix building was a really fun moment for the community
Tower and Puppets were such messes on day 1. It was glorious

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The day 1 Tower run I did took out the last boss in one pull, but I'm pretty sure everybody in the raid died at least twice that fight and alliance chat was nuts.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Vargs posted:

I had to just stop completely for a few minutes during the final days sequence in Thavnair where you're running through the woods trying to save families from getting murdered by monsters because i kept leapfrogging the MSQ with some clown who would zig zag around me and setting off fireworks and poo poo. really ruined the mood

to be clear i do appreciate that kind of goofing off from other players, just not during that specific sequence lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr posted:

The day 1 Tower run I did took out the last boss in one pull, but I'm pretty sure everybody in the raid died at least twice that fight and alliance chat was nuts.

I loved the ring mechanic on the last boss cause the raid instantly turned into Those Who Know and Those Who Don't Know (unless they read the text box that appears in the middle of All That Junk)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Nier raid story was offputting and felt out of place to me. The fights themselves were fine but I didn't want to suffer through the Drakengard series to understand all the references.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vitamean posted:

I loved the ring mechanic on the last boss cause the raid instantly turned into Those Who Know and Those Who Don't Know (unless they read the text box that appears in the middle of All That Junk)

I Could Hear A Sound so I got through that fine, but I got run over by the train because red means bad right?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

God Hole posted:

I had to just stop completely for a few minutes during the final days sequence in Thavnair where you're running through the woods trying to save families from getting murdered by monsters because i kept leapfrogging the MSQ with some clown who would zig zag around me and setting off fireworks and poo poo. really ruined the mood

to be clear i do appreciate that kind of goofing off from other players, just not during that specific sequence lol

He was just trying to help keep your spirits up gosh!

For real though that's rude as heck :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chillgamesh posted:

I Could Hear A Sound so I got through that fine, but I got run over by the train because red means bad right?

It takes me at least a few seconds to remember this every time I go in there.

The rings are a really fun mechanic to get right.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The second set of rings come fast enough that it's really hard to maintain your gcd while also moving / turning enough to do it correctly, so that's kind of annoying.

And to this day there's always that one guy that drops Lighter Note in the worst possible place, obliterating several people and forcing others to disengage.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I got to UT fairly early but there was still some idiot spamming 18+ "Dark" themed FC recruitment in shout. I made a joke shout back about how at least it was heartening to know that at the end of everything shout spam lives on, which got a few "this is our answer" laughs

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I filter shout during expac weekend lol

worst thing was getting immersed on the level 90 msq and having a ff7 bike rev up from behind me

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I was too late to get in on Chi spam so I've all but missed out on the TV mount until they offer it as a moogle tome reward in like 2025 or something.

I've also never seen the Thavnair world boss.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

HackensackBackpack posted:

I was too late to get in on Chi spam so I've all but missed out on the TV mount until they offer it as a moogle tome reward in like 2025 or something.

People still do them, I was in Thavnair the other day and saw shouts and was able to kill the FATE boss there for the elephant head. Most data centres will have a discord where people will ping out hunt trains and rare FATEs, and you get a surprisingly large number of people showing up.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Rare fates from all expansions still get completed regularly, you just gotta know they're happening. Easiest way is to get into an active linkshell that relays them or join a discord server that send notifications for fate spawns. Centurio Hunts is a server that covers multiple data centers https://discord.gg/dZTgnpv but there are DC specific ones as well.

I still go to ShB and EW super fates regularly because they're a quick way to get bicolor gemstones.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'll have to find a linkshell on Dynamis then!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'll have to find a linkshell on Dynamis then!

The Dynamis server is Starbird Hunts.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vitamean posted:

I filter shout during expac weekend lol

worst thing was getting immersed on the level 90 msq and having a ff7 bike rev up from behind me

i turn off all chat whenever i'm doing MSQ. i swap my chat window over to the NPC-only tab. i trust NO ONE.

i do get a mild amusement of being able to judge the length of cutscenes by the size of the crowd standing by a given npc.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kerrzhe posted:

i turn off all chat whenever i'm doing MSQ. i swap my chat window over to the NPC-only tab. i trust NO ONE.

i do get a mild amusement of being able to judge the length of cutscenes by the size of the crowd standing by a given npc.

Yeah, I also swap my chat panel to Event during MSQ stuff. it's worked pretty well to mitigate spoilers.

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
I modified my event window to also include FC and party chat. Great way to filter out general chat but still get the important stuff/people

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshi-P is insane. Lonely? Hell no! That's a dream come true!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

:same:

I meant to get 1 more round of the fate but then... I have no idea 2+ years passed and I still don't have enough tokens. I'll get it one day.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

My day 1 run's chat fully aknowledged the handicap on people familiar with the source games due to trauma triggers. Including the bells was just mean.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kheldarn posted:

Yoshi-P is insane. Lonely? Hell no! That's a dream come true!

YoshiP gets to play FFXIV as the single player game it was meant to be

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

My dumb hope is that whatever singleplayer-compatible version of FFXIV we eventually end up with a million years down the line either allows some kind of P2P setup or simulates enough players running around to make the world feel like it was in its heydey. I wanna be able to come back to Eorzea when I'm old and grey and not have it feel like a dead mall.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There would probably at least be private servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not sure my heart could take logging in 20 years from now to a Limsa Lominsa full of catgirls powered by ChatGPT.