Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Starting to wonder if male romcom leads are actually boring or if people are just projecting, generally.
there's guys that are very boring but also there's a lot of people who give male leads very little room to impress. thats right: misandry is real

but also jokes aside even if im not super into a guy its pretty easy to tell when a guy is written as a bland self-insert and when hes meant to actually appeal to the audience. yamada is definitely in the latter category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah it's a shoujo manga the guy is the love interest not the insert

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Believe in women('s perspectives in fiction).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah it's a shoujo manga the guy is the love interest not the insert
correct but also if you go down this road youll get people smugly pointing out that skip and loafer runs in a seinen magazine so clearly its aimed at men

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's not like particularly interesting, a fairly standard male shoujo lead, but hell there's a reason it's a standard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ig the distinction here is that if you reversed the genders on this yamada would be even more of a failblob and probably be completely unable to handle social situations and male akane would have to take care of her or something, whereas in this scenario yamada is still a functioning human being who's just blunt and terse and dense when it comes to people's emotions. which imo makes the romance feel more 'real' but i can see how it'd also lead to you projecting more incompetence onto him than he actually displays.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

ig the distinction here is that if you reversed the genders on this yamada would be even more of a failblob and probably be completely unable to handle social situations and male akane would have to take care of her or something, whereas in this scenario yamada is still a functioning human being who's just blunt and terse and dense when it comes to people's emotions. which imo makes the romance feel more 'real' but i can see how it'd also lead to you projecting more incompetence onto him than he actually displays.

I was nodding through the first half of this like "yes this is yuri" and then I noticed you said male Akane

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I was nodding through the first half of this like "yes this is yuri" and then I noticed you said male Akane
yuri: yamada would be a failchild but akane would also still be one
yaoi: yamada would be a failchild publicly but shift into his normal personality privately, akane would inexplicably be a CEO

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It doesn't help that the relationship is a pretty slow boil. We're halfway through the season and neither of them has even realized that they're interested in the other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Haystack posted:

It doesn't help that the relationship is a pretty slow boil. We're halfway through the season and neither of them has even realized that they're interested in the other.
eh, the relationship is actually relatively fast by romcom standards in the manga, its just that anime these days only get 1 cour adaptations so it makes sense to end with that kind of thing. they get together in volume 4 of the manga, which is blisteringly fast compared to how many romcom go 20+ volumes without that.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
finished episode 3 of Job is my Yuri

what a twist

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think nowadays I'm not too fussed on the idea of when characters confess or get together as a sign of progression. Like, the issue with a bunch of romcoms of the past where the two leads don't get together for 20+ volumes isn't that it took them so long to ~officially date~, but that the time spent getting there was spent on things that were unimportant to the reader, and that would be true no matter when the confession happened because that's just the way the author was writing it.

We've certainly been getting more faster-paced romances nowadays compared to in the past (some like to differentiate them as heisei-era romcoms and reiwa-era romcoms, which is kinda funny), but I don't think that automatically makes them better. I think more than speed, it's consistency that people are looking for, the sense that things are happening and our characters are doing things that matter and that changes them. You can achieve that whether your characters get together in volume 1, 5, 10, or whatever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah. what fundamentally matters in a romcom isn't how fast interactions happen it's, whether it feels like meaningful interactions are happening.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

I think nowadays I'm not too fussed on the idea of when characters confess or get together as a sign of progression. Like, the issue with a bunch of romcoms of the past where the two leads don't get together for 20+ volumes isn't that it took them so long to ~officially date~, but that the time spent getting there was spent on things that were unimportant to the reader, and that would be true no matter when the confession happened because that's just the way the author was writing it.

We've certainly been getting more faster-paced romances nowadays compared to in the past (some like to differentiate them as heisei-era romcoms and reiwa-era romcoms, which is kinda funny), but I don't think that automatically makes them better. I think more than speed, it's consistency that people are looking for, the sense that things are happening and our characters are doing things that matter and that changes them. You can achieve that whether your characters get together in volume 1, 5, 10, or whatever.
yeah that is fair. i think also there's a lot of romcoms that go on for 30 volumes of nothing but barely establish a sidecast. this is more a thing with shonen/male led romcoms but a sidecast is a really good way to keep things progressing, like side couples or other characters getting arcs or w/e. thats something i really like in romcoms tbh.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How many volumes did it take for the couple in Wotakoi manga to get together?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

How many volumes did it take for the couple in Wotakoi manga to get together?

Like, the first chapter?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah that is fair. i think also there's a lot of romcoms that go on for 30 volumes of nothing but barely establish a sidecast. this is more a thing with shonen/male led romcoms but a sidecast is a really good way to keep things progressing, like side couples or other characters getting arcs or w/e. thats something i really like in romcoms tbh.

Lol I remember had to re-read Horimiya from the beginning several times because I could not for the life of me remember anything at all about almost anyone in the sidecast, and they kept getting chapters spent on them

PYF sidecasts ITT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the horimiya sidecast is kinda dull and feel like they mostly exist because the author had run out of ideas for the main couple

skip and loafer's sidecast owns

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

in general skip and loafer's side characters all feel fully-formed which helps that show a lot

yamada-kun (the show) mostly reminds me of being in semi-casual mmo guilds 15 years ago and is perfect for that. all the side characters like the strawberry farmer are exactly the kind of motley crew you'd see in guilds like that. i was a little hard on yamada (the character) in ep1 but i stuck it out and dug the mmo guild stuff and think he works as part of that ensemble.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Terper posted:

Lol I remember had to re-read Horimiya from the beginning several times because I could not for the life of me remember anything at all about almost anyone in the sidecast, and they kept getting chapters spent on them

PYF sidecasts ITT

God Horimiya was just, the author wrote a loving electric romance with two people who were both perfectly characterised and perfect for each other.

And then they get together and suddenly we're out of ideas.

QUICKLY HERE ARE SIDE CHARACTERS PLEASE CARE.

Anyway Bunny Girl's entire sidecast is the best.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

pointlessone posted:

Seriously, Yamada needs at least a little personality other than asexual autist

dont even know what show youre talking about but yamada sounds loving based

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

falling in love with yamada at lvl 999
romcom about guy and girl that play the same mmo

yamada is the male lead, an EVE online guy who also plays a lot of apex legends and is a full time Gamer, his main character gag is being hilariously blunt

decent show, really cute animation and the leads have some chemistry, recommend it if you're in the mood for a romcom and arent satisfied with skip and loafer

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Watch all romances this season imo, they're all* good

*i don't know anything about galaxy next door, I'm sorry, I don't know if they're all good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's also a lot of Yamadas this season, funnily enough

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

yamada and galaxy next door are definitely on the end of season catch up list. fans of romance are winning this season!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terper posted:

There's also a lot of Yamadas this season, funnily enough

My Boyfriends the Yamadas.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

golden kamuy has reached the new episodes as of today

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Tales of Woe posted:

Praise be

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

Oh hell yeah, time to get back on it.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Tales of Woe posted:

That's good news, but it's going to be a coin toss as to whether my friends and I can remember anything about what's going on with the plot by this point. Please pray for us.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tales of Woe posted:

:toot: been waiting for that cliffhanger to resolve

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heard a lot of good stuff about oshi no ko, so I started reading the manga since it's on the viz app. Finished the first six chapters and it seems decent, what chapters correspond to the apparently movie length first anime "episode"?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Heard a lot of good stuff about oshi no ko, so I started reading the manga since it's on the viz app. Finished the first six chapters and it seems decent, what chapters correspond to the apparently movie length first anime "episode"?

You'll know it when you see it, trust me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibblebibble posted:

You'll know it when you see it, trust me.
ah, chapter 8/9?

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams
Since this thread has the bear series in its title but no one is interested in the bear series, I note that this week's episode was an amusing example of what happens when you buy a kid who grew up poor a $200,000 knife as a present, tell them their knife cost $200,000, and expect them to be happy to have a new knife.

And then everything is solved with strawberry shortcake.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SeanGaffney posted:

Since this thread has the bear series in its title but no one is interested in the bear series, I note that this week's episode was an amusing example of what happens when you buy a kid who grew up poor a $200,000 knife as a present, tell them their knife cost $200,000, and expect them to be happy to have a new knife.

And then everything is solved with strawberry shortcake.

One of the things that show has been great about is driving conflict through the MC finally having to deal with having social obligations for the first time in her life, and not being able to just throw money at them to shut them up because she actually cares about these people.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

....is insomniacs after school gonna pull a your lie in april? just wondering after reading the latest episode review on ANN (yeah i know i know). i just need good vibes this year.... i also know that ANN writers can be a little prone to misinterpreting poo poo

e: ok looked it up and it seems like it might not, or probably wouldn't in a single cour adaptation anyway. whew. vibe check remains fine

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 16, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
solid Skip & Loafer this week as usual

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GateOfD posted:

solid Skip & Loafer this week as usual

show's pretty good i reckon'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU