Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ascend is such a cool power. I thought it looked dumb in the Aonuma preview video but it’s actually extremely useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hatty posted:

Ascend is such a cool power. I thought it looked dumb in the Aonuma preview video but it’s actually extremely useful

Prairie dog link gangtag when

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/pory_leeks/status/1656701643671453709?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

these mfs put garry's mod inside BOTW

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So in my ever going long quest to try and find something more comfortable than the joycons but with all the standard joycon features, I have stumbled on this: https://www.amazon.com/Fixture-Cont...146&sr=8-3&th=1

I will write a trip report if anyone cares.

Its either this or a better portable grip.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
people goin nuts for the Hori split pad compact for handheld. no rumble, gyro or wireless tho. i don't like clip on grips because they're too heavy. now i use the hori playstand and set it on my coffee table

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah I am actually going to put a pause on the thing above and instead just try the skull and co neogrip and skull and co joystick caps first. I feel like the thing I posted above will feel weirdly weighted/balanced.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no Gyro means it's DOA for zelda, no? why do the devs not use the gyro in the switch itself... :thunk:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Something about tabletop play I’m guessing

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/armxVg0_460svav1.mp4

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

JFC :stwoon:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
TOTK on lock for pickup this evening

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I'm always low on arrows because my aim is that bad lol

Stick eyeballs on em

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Watch how wrong all of us are playing Zelda:

https://vxtwitter.com/angelmendoza___/status/1657387230061551621

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MuadDib Atreides posted:

TOTK on lock for pickup this evening

I'm thinking about getting it even though I haven't gotten past halfway on BOTW, this poo poo looks ridiculous

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

An Actual Princess posted:

except youc an't pet the dogs so it sucks

dont know why you need to pet the dogs when you can feed them raw meat which is even better

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

always pet dogs

no pet dog? bad.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
feeding dogs raw meat is like petting them and their teeth at the same time send tweet

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

dont know why you need to pet the dogs when you can feed them raw meat which is even better

Okay but I want to do both.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nintendo has destroyed the pet the dog meme. thank you shigeru miyamoto

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's weird that these crazy videos are actually... turning me off from playing? :( I would never, in a million years, come up with the stuff in them. I would just treat it like a normal Zelda game.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Vintersorg posted:

It's weird that these crazy videos are actually... turning me off from playing? :( I would never, in a million years, come up with the stuff in them. I would just treat it like a normal Zelda game.

I ain't built poo poo, it's still incredible.

I do wanna see if I can build a murder wagon for my horse though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so play it like a normal zelda game. people are dumb and nintendo makes games for people. there are people who can barely glue a rock and stick together and they're getting the game done and having a blast. saw someone beat a whole temple without knowing they had a key ability to "go up" and instead threw pinecones and made upwind fire gusts. the game is idiot-proof, you can play it as fancy or mundane as you want.

Notice in these videos these players arent even doing anything, theyre just new boot goofing to make entertaining videos.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
just get a real dog if you want to pet one

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

I know what you mean, but it isn't turning me off. Play at your own speed.

Me? I'm still trapped underground and terrified and desperately hoping I'll find a way to escape without teleporting. Looking forward to coming back here as a warrior-god and showing them what's what.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vintersorg posted:

you can absolutely just play it like a normal zelda game, the building stuff can just be something you use to solve puzzles and the game goes out of its way to teach you all of the part combinations you'll ever need to complete the game
you even eventually unlock blueprints for pre-made vehicles so you can still enjoy riding a motorcycle that shoots lasers without having to invent one yourself

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I see people building weird overly complex poo poo and go back to doing the bare minimum to get by. I appreciate that people making laser bots for me to watch but that's way too much effort for me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I kinda felt the same but when you play the game you realize that none of the complex stuff is actually useful compared to the amount of time it takes to put together.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

you can absolutely just play it like a normal zelda game, the building stuff can just be something you use to solve puzzles and the game goes out of its way to teach you all of the part combinations you'll ever need to complete the game
you even eventually unlock blueprints for pre-made vehicles so you can still enjoy riding a motorcycle that shoots lasers without having to invent one yourself

however gently caress the monocycle template they give you that you cant even hop on without kickstarting it first

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:yeshaha:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

I kinda felt the same but when you play the game you realize that none of the complex stuff is actually useful compared to the amount of time it takes to put together.

yeah in practice they're all just showpieces, the nature of the game means everything you make is temporary once you go or do something that will force leaving it.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I wonder what's causing such discrepancy in people's arrow supplies

I am currently holding more arrows on hand than I ever found or bought in my entire 140 hours of BotW, and I'm only like 6 hours in lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the game very much eases you into the building by spreading out sources for the various Zonai parts across the map, so that you're steadily unlocking more tools as you explore and learning how each one can be used, and it just builds on itself very organically like that. without even thinking too hard you can end up building stuff that is really cool and might look complex but is actually just a simple combination of really useful tools

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 15, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I've got like 230 arrows and I feel like I've been using them plenty.

I'm maybe...6 or 7 hours in.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've run out of bows more often than I have arrows.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm in the low arrow count camp. I've also been avoiding combat until I have better stats, maybe that's related?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I usually hover around 25-50 arrows, sometimes empty out if I am wasteful or big boss or whiffing shots on a boss. Cool thing is you can throw stuff grenade style and still get the effect on boss even if pinging weakspot is harder. It also doesn't seem to matter what bow you have outside of bonus effects like multi arrows or the extra aerial time ones. Pinging a weakspot counts ether it's a crappy bow or a fancy robo one.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

The Merkinman posted:

I'm in the low arrow count camp. I've also been avoiding combat until I have better stats, maybe that's related?

Yeah, lots of arrows in the crates and such around baddie camps, in addition to the arrows you get from archers.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I was very anxious about arrows early on and kept running out. I then figured out that hitting crates in Moblin camps is just as important as hitting ore in caves and is a very justifiable use of your mining hammer. Haven't dipped below 100 arrows since.

Vintersorg posted:

The game very organically eases you into the creativity stuff and it never requires or even especially encourages death robots. You are playing a normal, pretty good, Zelda game, and then you find a Korok on the side of the road who needs to meet up with his friend up a mountain. He's sitting next to a plank and a couple of powered wheels. You can just slowly carry him up the hill, or you could play around with these wheels and figure out what you can use them for.

Then maybe you're in another setting I won't spoil, and you see some premade stuff using the same tools you have. You see it in action and go around to poke and prod it until you understand why it's put together the way it is.

You get more and more resources, and more and more experience over time, and you can chose to engage with the system exactly as much as you want. Maybe you want to keep lugging Koroks up the hills, or you could figure out a simple rocket powered hot air balloon design or something, after being given ample gently directed time to play with hot air balloons and rockets and the rest.

One thing to keep in mind is that the people making the crazy things almost certainly pirated the game and have been playing it for ages. There's a very long, slow, satisfying path up to that point you can take, or not, and the game is good either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I typically find that I accidently solve puzzles with my contraptions, I build something, try to move it into place, flip around a bunch and drop it and then it falls into place some how.

I did one of those Korok buddies, so I build a rocket ship with a rocket and wing, stuck him to it, and floated it backwards and then used recall to blast him off.

Well it went immediately into the water, I figured it was a done for. Then I realized a few minutes later it resurfaced right by the destination?