Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm a little surprised they don't offer a metal expansion tank as a dealer installed option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

phosdex posted:

it seems like you're saying sell my bmw and buy a bronco.

If by Bronco you mean Braptor, yes.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

E: wrong thread

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 15, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
2010 Malibu four-cylinder, non-hybrid. 60,000ish miles. Bridgestone serenity plus tires.

Why is my gas mileage so crappy? Im averaging 22 mpg and probably 1/2 to 2/3 of my miles are on the freeway.

Edit: I dont accelerate like a psychopath

Brrrmph fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 15, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks pretty average for that car on Fuelly. You could try putting new plugs in that might help a little, also check the air filter and replace it if it's dirty, check tire pressures, yadda yadda and see what happens but it doesn't look like you'd get more than a few more mpg.

[edit] For reference, my Scion xB also has a 2.4 four cylinder and my average has been 22 since I owned it. If I do all highway it does a little better lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 15, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

2010 Malibu four-cylinder, non-hybrid. 60,000ish miles. Bridgestone serenity plus tires.

Why is my gas mileage so crappy? Im averaging 22 mpg and probably 1/2 to 2/3 of my miles are on the freeway.

What sort of scheduled maintenance have you done? When was the last time you checked your tire pressures? Are you using AC or driving with your windows open? I could go on and on.

Lets not though. The vehicles EPA average is 26 MPG, and its over a decade old now. Honestly I wouldnt be too concerned about mileage variations like that, but if you insist, start with addressing your vehicles routine needs. This is a good idea for reasons beyond a few MPG too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Help with odor abatement!

I'm getting a 1995 Scamp camper trailer. The walls and ceiling are insulated and carpeted. The whole thing smells like previous owner. Not mildew, mold, or water damage, just other people. I've heard ozone is great for upholstery and stuff in vehicle renovations. Would this be a good way to start cleaning up the interior?

I've never used ozone, so I don't know if I need a machine, if I just buy cans of it, or have it done professionally.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rent or buy an ozone machine then sell it when you're done with it.

Or just find a detailer that has one and pay them to do it.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks pretty average for that car on Fuelly. You could try putting new plugs in that might help a little, also check the air filter and replace it if it's dirty, check tire pressures, yadda yadda and see what happens but it doesn't look like you'd get more than a few more mpg.

[edit] For reference, my Scion xB also has a 2.4 four cylinder and my average has been 22 since I owned it. If I do all highway it does a little better lol

nitsuga posted:

What sort of scheduled maintenance have you done? When was the last time you checked your tire pressures? Are you using AC or driving with your windows open? I could go on and on.

Lets not though. The vehicles EPA average is 26 MPG, and its over a decade old now. Honestly I wouldnt be too concerned about mileage variations like that, but if you insist, start with addressing your vehicles routine needs. This is a good idea for reasons beyond a few MPG too.

Thanks. I guess I figured I would get somewhere closer to the window sticker mpg, but this all makes sense. My mechanic seems pretty honest and doesnt push anything until its needed, so I could ask about the routine stuff next time Im in. Im pretty sure it has the original spark plugs, but I replaced the air filter and did transmission flush at some point in the last few years.

Im not getting rid of the car because I dont want a car payment, but do the new hybrids actually get the fuel mileage promise? Whenever I need a new car Ill probably get a Japanese or Korean sedan hybrid.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also don't breathe it. Ozone is harmful to breathe in. It's criminal that they sell those things to people to "improve the air quality of their home" without making it clear it does that while you're not home and it needs to be turned off and the air cleared out when you and your pets are home.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

The EPA basically says don't buy them, but there's a ton of details to read in this link. I'd be skeptical, and I'd prefer enzymatic cleaners on all porous and semipourous surfaces. Also lots of fresh air.

quote:

Can Ozone be Used in Unoccupied Spaces?
Ozone has been extensively used for water purification, but ozone chemistry in water is not the same as ozone chemistry in air. High concentrations of ozone in air, when people are not present, are sometimes used to help decontaminate an unoccupied space from certain chemical or biological contaminants or odors (e.g., fire restoration). However, little is known about the chemical by-products left behind by these processes (Dunston and Spivak, 1997). While high concentrations of ozone in air may sometimes be appropriate in these circumstances, conditions should be sufficiently controlled to insure that no person or pet becomes exposed. Ozone can adversely affect indoor plants, and damage materials such as rubber, electrical wire coatings and fabrics and art work containing susceptible dyes and pigments (U.S. EPA, 1996a).
A powerful ozone machine inside a camper might actually harm some of the materials inside.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Brrrmph posted:

If most of your miles are highway, what's your cruising speed?

My little Fiesta is rated for 26/34 but I average around 28 MPG in mostly highway driving because I'm usually driving a lot faster than the EPA highway test does.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Leperflesh posted:

Also don't breathe it. Ozone is harmful to breathe in. It's criminal that they sell those things to people to "improve the air quality of their home" without making it clear it does that while you're not home and it needs to be turned off and the air cleared out when you and your pets are home.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

The EPA basically says don't buy them, but there's a ton of details to read in this link. I'd be skeptical, and I'd prefer enzymatic cleaners on all porous and semipourous surfaces. Also lots of fresh air.

A powerful ozone machine inside a camper might actually harm some of the materials inside.

This is really good to know, thanks. There's rubber hose, window seals, electrical harnesses, etc. all over the place. Probably best to not chance it and just air it the gently caress out plus clean all the fabrics and upholstery. It's been sealed up for the winter, so probably the source of some of the odor.

I know about its health hazards, too. Although I always had the impression it was so useful because it did not leave any by products. My plan was to treat the process like a bedbug fog operation, seal it up and tarp it for a day or whatever and not let anyone near it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks pretty average for that car on Fuelly. You could try putting new plugs in that might help a little, also

I haven't done the math but I can't imagine the ROI here is worth it unless you're in California

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the problem is that the ozone itself doesn't leave byproducts, so advertising says as much: but it can chemically convert other chemicals like formaldehyde (which is a toxic substance outgassed by some synthetics and is also really bad for you) and the conversion byproducts haven't really been studied properly.

I had to look all this stuff up last year because my stepmom's apartment had been filled with smoke when the one below her caught fire, she had to move, and all her stuff reeked of toxic smoke. She wanted to try an ozone machine and I looked it up and was like, oh, oh gosh, no, do not.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the problem is that the ozone itself doesn't leave byproducts, so advertising says as much: but it can chemically convert other chemicals like formaldehyde (which is a toxic substance outgassed by some synthetics and is also really bad for you) and the conversion byproducts haven't really been studied properly.

I had to look all this stuff up last year because my stepmom's apartment had been filled with smoke when the one below her caught fire, she had to move, and all her stuff reeked of toxic smoke. She wanted to try an ozone machine and I looked it up and was like, oh, oh gosh, no, do not.

Yeah... This thing is a molded fiberglass structure, and there's exposed resin and glass inside places like the cabinets and storage spots. Furthermore, I recall that a lot of materials used in camper trailer construction is known for producing a formalin byproduct. I work with formalin daily so I'm super careful about that poo poo. I get so much exposure to it for work that I don't need to risk it for my family and dogs.

Ok, no ozone treatment. Just good old cleaning. I've actually had good luck using a mixture of borax and baking soda on carpets, so maybe I can just pull sections of the liner out, treat it that way, and reset it all. The liner needs regluing in places anyway.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

wolrah posted:

My little Fiesta is rated for 26/34 but I average around 28 MPG in mostly highway driving because I'm usually driving a lot faster than the EPA highway test does.

Oh that could be it. Usually 65-70 using cruise control as much as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those Malibus were fat cars that were pretty underpowered and with an old 4T45 four speed auto. I'm not surprised it won't hit EPA numbers, although 22 mpg is pretty low.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolrah posted:

when I bought my FiST I was averaging like 25-27mpg but then I did a computer reset and now Ive been averaging like 30-32 for the past like year and I dont drive any less fast

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm sure this gets asked all the time so I'm sorry. This seemed the best place to ask though.

So I'm thinking about finally getting my dream/fun car. It's a manual, however. I can kind of drive a manual, but not smoothly. What is the best way to learn? There are training classes near me, but that's 4 hours of training then I'm on my own. Do I just buy an old cheap manual and learn on that for several months until I'm good at it? And shifting in an old junker is also probably a lot different than in a sports car.

Is there another, better option?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Travic posted:

I'm sure this gets asked all the time so I'm sorry. This seemed the best place to ask though.

So I'm thinking about finally getting my dream/fun car. It's a manual, however. I can kind of drive a manual, but not smoothly. What is the best way to learn? There are training classes near me, but that's 4 hours of training then I'm on my own. Do I just buy an old cheap manual and learn on that for several months until I'm good at it? And shifting in an old junker is also probably a lot different than in a sports car.

Just buy it. Youll get all the practice you need getting it home. I was in the same boat when I got my car, but now I am decent passable

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Travic posted:

Four hour class will more than do it especially if you have marginal competence. Do it close to when you get the fun car so that you have a way to maintain the knowledge. Don't bother buying a clunker; worst thing you'll do in a manual car is destroy the clutch. A new clutch is a wear item and is a lot cheaper than a beater, especially these days. Stalling is fairly normal. I drive two manual cars as my only vehicles and I probably stall one of them every 18 months or so.

The way that the shifter and the clutch work is exactly the same for most modern manual transmission vehicles. The way they feel might vary but the skills are transferrable. The most tricky thing that varies between cars is the clutch take-up and engagement, basically where and how the clutch starts to bite, and what that feels like. It's pretty common even for an experienced driver to stall in a new-to-them car where they don't have a great feel for the clutch.

This doesn't apply if your dream car is like, a Ford Model T which has a totally alien control system, or even something like a 2CV that has a very odd shifter pattern or an older car with a three-on-the-tree shifter. But it'll hold true for 95% of cars produced after 1940. edit: also does not apply to the Carrera GT which has a peculiar clutch made entirely of glass

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Travic posted:

Not to sound too harsh, but you're only going to get comfortable with it if you drive it regularly. There's going to be some rough patches and days as you adjust to your commute, traffic, the particular nuance of the car, etc., but if you've already got the basics down you're 90% of the way there and I promise, you will be completely comfortable within a month of owning/driving the car regularly. It's highly unlikely you damage anything too badly. Just relax and don't let this stop you from driving the car you want.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok thank you. I can get a manual rolling into first gear, but I've never gone farther than that. I've been told that's the hardest part and once you're into first it's much easier.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Itll all come with time. Learning your cars bite point will be the key. Youll get better as time passes, I promise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Travic posted:

Ok thank you. I can get a manual rolling into first gear, but I've never gone farther than that. I've been told that's the hardest part and once you're into first it's much easier.

what car is it?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ok Comboomer posted:

what car is it?

It's a little embarrassing, but it's an Ariel Atom. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I'm finally in a place where it's possible. I just didn't want to buy one and turn it's clutch into very expensive dust.

Or are you asking what I learned on? A friend let me practice with her Honda Civic. I'm not sure what type.

Travic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 15, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Travic posted:

It's a little embarrassing, but it's an Ariel Atom. I've wanted one for a very long time, and I'm finally in a place where it's possible. I just didn't want to buy one and turn it's clutch into very expensive dust.

Or are you asking what I learned on? A friend let me practice with her Honda Civic. I'm not sure what type.

Nothing embarrassing about that those cars are awesome

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Travic posted:

Thats true. Also clutches are designed to take quite a bit of abuse. It's not the first month of learning that kills them, it's people using them wrong forever or racing. Racing is worth it (autox, track days etc) but it becomes a much sooner wear item.

Just don't slip the clutch to hold position on a hill.

Edit: also cool car!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those are dope, why are you embarrassed?

Be a little cautious unless you have seat time behind a high performance car. I'm assuming you don't since you can't drive stick, but that may not be a fair assumption in this era of dual clutch automated robot gearboxes and the 8HPXX. None of them use particularly exotic transmissions, so the clutches are available and inexpensive. The one hooked up to the K20 comes straight out of a Civic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Travic posted:

nice car! Might be hard to get a ton of practice in quickly, but you should be fine moving it around a track every once in a while.

if you really want to git gud fast you might want to pick up a more pedestrian manual dailyyou know, like a Civic Type R or something

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Travic posted:

I bought my first manual just over a week ago. The first day was pretty rough, but it gets easier.

Steve Youngblood
Mar 19, 2007

***Hollywood Cobbler***

I also wanted a manual car and had no dad so I bought an AW11 to learn on last summer, specifically so I could gently caress my own car up and not inconvenience anyone. What helped me the most is some guy on youtube saying 'keep your heel planted when clutching out. Also its better to roast it than drop it, so get comfortable going in and out quick, especially in reverse."

Washed up

https://i.imgur.com/pShhmi4.mp4

Question: I am kindof falling in love with it, but I also want something with a back row to whip the fam around in. Am I going to regret selling it forever?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I regret selling my '85 aw11 over a decade later. Missed out on a supercharged one because it took it up the rear end from an excursion the morning dude was driving it in for smog. I was gonna meet him afterwards. Put him in the hospital.

Just get a second car

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Thank you all for the advice and tips. Atoms are amazing it was mainly just embarrassing because it seems like they've become a meme/cliche. Love them no matter what though. :)

The only other thing is getting it registered. I've heard mixed things on whether they are road legal or not. Or if it would just be a track thing.

Travic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 15, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably worth looking into now. You can call your local DMV and just ask them to look it up in their system.

Here in Michigan, they basically just assume anything that someone wants to register must be legal. We dont have inspections at all, so I cant offer any help there.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My cigarette lighter ports on my A4 are annoyingly tied directly to KL30 / unswitched power. I have an Anker USB-C charger that I like, I just have to unplug it every time I park and it's a bit annoying.

What I think I'd actually like to do is add one of those fuse tap adapters to a KL15 line, and then tuck away a USB-C charger somewhere else (in dash, under seat, etc.) + run the long 6 FT USB-C cords better so they stay out of the way and just kind of sit between the seats.

There are a decent number of 12 V <-> USB-C blocks on Amazon, but I'd rather get something auto specific so it has a TVS / other design elements for the load transients you see. Does anyone make something like that already? Or am I just better off getting a female cigarette lighter socket, wiring that to the fuse tap, and then using my existing charger? Brief Googling found stuff like this, but no enclosure. I guess the term is "hardwire USB-C adapter" -- something in a little plastic box w/ 2x USB-C jacks would be perfect. I'm also probably content to find a way to zip-tie / attach the existing Anker to trim, but a box with mounting flanges is likely the better thing to do.

I guess the other thing I could do is plug in the USB cables into my headunit, but it's slow charging (Kenwood why) and I've already got wireless CarPlay, so I don't need a physical connection there.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 15, 2023

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

movax posted:

My cigarette lighter ports on my A4 are annoyingly tied directly to KL30 / unswitched power. I have an Anker USB-C charger that I like, I just have to unplug it every time I park and it's a bit annoying.

The quiescent current draw of a USB-C charger like that is pretty negligible unless you're going to leave your car parked for weeks at a time. The cigarette lighter on my Cayenne is unswitched, and the car has never had trouble starting up after sitting for a few days. I might unplug it before I go out of town later this month, but if I forget I'm not going to worry about it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

By the end of the first week you'll be an expert, I think those cars either came with a goosed honda or toyota drivetrain? Drive it home, admire it in the driveway, go to sleep, try some more the next day. repeat. Something about sleeping helps bake the muscle memory into your brain better. two or three days in a row and you'll develop the skills you need

And yeah going from first to second and beyond is cake

My advice to absolute newbies is to actually start the car in second gear and let out on the clutch suuuuuper slowly, it's less grabby and way more forgiving while you figure out where the friction point is on the clutch pedal. every car is a little bit different. Just don't do that more than a couple times as you'll wear out the clutch doing it. I taught probably 20 people how to drive manual in my shitbox dodge neon in high school it's not hard.

If you're still struggling with the clutch after 2-3 weeks, find a buddy who drives manual and see if they're having trouble with it and maybe go get it inspected

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Thanks. I guess I figured I would get somewhere closer to the window sticker mpg, but this all makes sense. My mechanic seems pretty honest and doesnt push anything until its needed, so I could ask about the routine stuff next time Im in. Im pretty sure it has the original spark plugs, but I replaced the air filter and did transmission flush at some point in the last few years.

Im not getting rid of the car because I dont want a car payment, but do the new hybrids actually get the fuel mileage promise? Whenever I need a new car Ill probably get a Japanese or Korean sedan hybrid.

This is a great mindset. Saving money on a car payment is far more effective financially than wringing out the last few MPG you may or may not be missing. I'd add only that following the maintenance schedule is a good starting point to ensuring that you can keep your car running long-term. I found the manual is available from Chevrolet still here: https://www.chevrolet.com/support/vehicle/manuals-guides?compIndex=1&year=2010&make=Chevrolet&model=Malibu

Nothing about the spark plugs, so they're probably considered lifetime, but I think if the car's over 100,000 miles it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Still probably will not change your MPG significantly.

And last, the figures on the sticker are estimates, not promises. There are always at least a few caveats as discussed here. The EPA is also in somewhat of a tenuous position as a government agency, and doesn't have the resources to test each and every vehicle rigorously (source: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15388892/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates/). Hybrids definitely do provide better mileage but whether or not they are worth the premium is going to depend on how significant a price difference, how many miles you log each year, and how long you intend to keep any given vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ok Comboomer posted:

when I bought my FiST I was averaging like 25-27mpg but then I did a computer reset and now Ive been averaging like 30-32 for the past like year and I dont drive any less fast
The computer's been reset a few times over the years thanks to a few dead batteries and intentional disconnections to install new wiring, unless you're referring to something other than disconnecting the battery and having the computer relearn whatever it learns.

I run sticky tires in the summer and chunky ones in the winter, have the big Rally Armor mudflaps adjusted to stick out as far as they can while still being level, and have my exhaust hung a bit low so it doesn't rattle against my trailer hitch. Between all that and a tendency to cruise around 3000 RPM in 6th I don't find my fuel mileage surprising. When I took a trip last year with my bikes hanging off the back and was running slightly in to boost the whole time at the same speed I got closer to 20.

Travic posted:

Thank you all for the advice and tips. Atoms are amazing it was mainly just embarrassing because it seems like they've become a meme/cliche. Love them no matter what though. :)
Just want to join in and say that's loving awesome, Atoms are cool, and every model that was officially sold in the US has an engine/transmission combo from a run-of-the-mill hot FWD so it should be pretty forgiving. Don't worry too much about it as long as you understand not to slip it to an extreme level. Clutches wear really slowly until they overheat, then they go to hell fast. They'll take a shocking amount of abuse as long as it's just for short periods of time and they're allowed to cool down after. A valet absolutely tortured my clutch one night to the point that the car stunk for days after, but here I am three years and 40,000 miles later closing in on 120,000 miles and it's still solid.

As far as legality that's going to be a state by state thing. If your profile is accurate that you're in Virginia, bad news: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/documents/non_conventional_vehicles.pdf

At least fully built cars are definitely not legal to register in Virginia. IIRC they used to offer an option where the vehicle was either delivered with a few legally important parts not installed or you'd go to their shop to legally complete the build yourself so it qualified as a kit car which usually has less strict rules, but I can't find evidence of that being an option anymore.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 15, 2023