Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Deakul posted:

Are there any non-survival game farming RTSes out there? Nothing at all like Rimworld or its ilk. More like something like Farming Simulator but you control everything from a top down perspective.

I'll settle for city builders in the same vein as Anno but with a heavier focus on agriculture.

I have no idea what a non-survival farming RTS is but Farthest Frontier has crop rotations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Odd Wilson posted:

Hey, the Cola Government doesn't care how the job gets done as long as they don't see you doing anything illegal. Verbal testimony is completely disregarded when it comes to making an arrest, only physical evidence is respected and they only need a name anyways. The reason you can stare right into a security camera and nobody will know it's you once you leave the building for 5 seconds is that every PI is dressed like the Invisible Man and has no fingerprints or something and you can't expect the extremely busy legal system to care about finding which one did it.

But seriously, the legality factor is very odd currently, yeah.

Honestly I can vibe with the utterly corrupt government with an "if it's done it's done" attitude, it's just that citizens don't remember you after you break their spines and will go right back to chatting like they did before so long as you're out of their line of sight for 5 seconds beforehand.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Deakul posted:

Are there any non-survival game farming RTSes out there? Nothing at all like Rimworld or its ilk. More like something like Farming Simulator but you control everything from a top down perspective.

I'll settle for city builders in the same vein as Anno but with a heavier focus on agriculture.

Farm Manager 2021?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The new Steam version, that's in Beta right now, has seemingly altered the way the Uninstall function works.

Before, it would delete all the files that Steam itself has downloaded, leaving any files that you've put into the game folder yourself, for example mods, untouched.
Now, it just nukes the whole folder.

It sucks.

I just wanted to point out that this now has changed in the Steam Beta and you can now safely uninstall the games without losing your mods/injectors/etc.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

explain touhou

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

I just wanted to point out that this now has changed in the Steam Beta and you can now safely uninstall the games without losing your mods/injectors/etc.

I just updated to the sneak peek build to see what's different in this version and I'm surprised to see that most of it looks and functions the same way just with a different font. The new settings menu looks nice, I do like that the storage tab is right there now instead of having to load into another window.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

What if there were a bunch of girls who were like mythological figures with vast cosmic powers, but they only used them to play dodgeball and get drunk afterwards.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mescal posted:

explain touhou
Shmup series with a large focus on boss fights and slowish bullets. Astonishingly good music. All made and owned by one dude who doesnt care what people do with the IP so other people make touhou affiliated stuff (like Luna Nights). Start with touhou 6 (embodiment of scarlet devil) if curious about the mainline and quit if you dont see anything to like.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-VDhNRfnx4

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HopperUK posted:

Farm Manager 2021?

Huh, that's... pretty much exactly what I wanted.

My google-fu is weak.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZXID1tPXs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

touhou is anime school girl shmups right

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't think any of the touhou characters are in school

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the blue one is in school

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VtmU6aucro8

That's the gameplay, call it what you want.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think a lot of people mostly engage via fangames/music/fanart/etc. there are like a lot of dungeon crawlers in that universe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think a lot of people mostly engage via fangames/music/fanart/etc. there are like a lot of dungeon crawlers in that universe

yes but what sets this group of identical anime faced school girls dressed in victorian era modesty garb from all the other identical anime faced school girls dressed in victorian era modesty garb

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWdG413nNkI&t=191s

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zoux posted:

yes but what sets this group of identical anime faced school girls dressed in victorian era modesty garb from all the other identical anime faced school girls dressed in victorian era modesty garb

The artist/creator was suffering from delirium tremens when he designed them so the art style was kinda crappy at first.

I know next to nothing about touhou

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

zoux posted:

It's either that or Fate and im not playing a visual novel that doesn't involve either sex or murd- one second I'm getting a DM... - I have changed my mind about Fate.

Deakul posted:

Huh, that's... pretty much exactly what I wanted.

My google-fu is weak.

Fair warning that game has all the dynamic entertainment of watching someone else drive a tractor.

It's not bad for a financial management game but I found that watching the ants run around tends to get boring somewhat quickly, especially when the campaign demands you make certain suboptimal choices. Still, it's probably the best version of what that kind of game could be.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 15, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh snap, Hawken's coming back!

Except it's (initially) single-player only and has absolutely none of the awesome visual design of the original game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mordja posted:

Except it's (initially) single-player only and has absolutely none of the awesome visual design of the original game.

Oh good, another game with microtransactions whose devs are going "wait wait everything can be technically unlocked by playing the game".

It's a strange pick to bring back after so long but it has potential to be good; that said, there are a lot of factors that are going to go into that. Mechwarrior shows that it's pretty easy to make a mech game either too easy or frustratingly hard just with small changes to the enemies and the limits of your build.

VVV They're adding in MP later, with first co op missions then later traditional MP, which begs the question of if the single player missions are basically glorified skirmishes against bots.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 15, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

I saw that earlier and was like "Oh, okay, Hawken but Warframe that sounds cool" but yeah then I noticed it was single player and the EA section doesn't mention adding multiplayer so maybe not as good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hawken was cool but a reboot shortly after the announcement of a new Armored Core is unlucky timing.

e: ohh poo poo a single-player campaign where you pay or grind for stuff. Yeah if they say it's not necessary to spend money to progress, then it just means that they want to calibrate the game to be unfun enough to trigger people to spend money.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 15, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mescal posted:

explain touhou

what if the cast of Team Fortress 2 was gender flipped

zoux posted:

It's a large cast of mostly adult women with distinct designs and personalities which has been made available for anyone to make use of (within some limitations).

So if you have an indie project but don't want to bother creating or designing characters for it then you can just pick and choose from whomever Touhou characters would be appropriate instead.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What Piranha Bytes game should I try? Assuming I’m using a steam deck, which it sounds like would make some of their older stuff tough to get running/control. I played Greedfall and liked it more than I expected recently, so I figured maybe I should try the other big Eurojank dev.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Elex should have the controller support to work fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

tildes posted:

What Piranha Bytes game should I try? Assuming I’m using a steam deck, which it sounds like would make some of their older stuff tough to get running/control. I played Greedfall and liked it more than I expected recently, so I figured maybe I should try the other big Eurojank dev.
Well, the most highly-regarded ones are the first two Gothics but they're a nightmare to control. For the modern PB fare, I'd say ELEX.

The advantage is they're basically all the same game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ELEX probably. Gothic 2 is the best if you don’t mind wrestling keybinds and mouse settings into something kinda resembling modern controls.

Ok maybe Gothic 1 is the best but IIRC the controls are even worse.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

zoux posted:

Touhou is real

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

zoux posted:

it's got a pedigree. First games was 1997. First popular game was 2002, and there have been official releases nearly every year since, on top of all the fan stuff people have talked about already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is the Steam Deck:
1. "worth it"
2. Obtainable within a reasonable mount of time.
3. pass through chargable

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Is the Steam Deck:
1. "worth it"

1. The value depends on your money and use cases but, as someone who mostly plays Indie or older games on the couch, this is the best gaming device I've ever bought and now makes up the majority of my gaming time
2. No big waitlist anymore, it's a 1-2 week delivery time estimate.
3. IIRC, yes

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

tildes posted:

Gothic 2 works well on the Deck and is with a huge margin the best game from PB.

I tried Risen the other day, which works good too but I found it a lot worse due to the amount of aliasing and outdated lighting which makes the environment hard to read.

zoux posted:

Is the Steam Deck:
1. "worth it"

yes, yes, yes

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 15, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's the year of the Linux desktop on a Linux gaming portable.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Edit: nevermind I can' reed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

zoux posted:

Is the Steam Deck:
1. "worth it"

Yes*, yes, yes.

* It has a lot of good features but I would forewarn that it isn't "a Nintendo switch but PC games". It's a huge unit, its fans are pretty loud, and it eats through battery like nothing, especially if you are playing an intensive game. So don't expect it to be something you can use for a five hour airplane flight without plugging it in.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

zoux posted:

Is the Steam Deck:
1. "worth it"

Depends a lot on your use case, but it's literally the best gaming purchase I've made in a decade. It blasted away most of the gaming ennui that I'd been feeling over the last several years and it's just great all around, not to mention an absurdly good value for the base model. Weirdly enough, it got me to start spending more time with my Switch, too.

The big thing to keep in mind is that it's not going to be powerful enough to guarantee that you can play every AAA game at something like an acceptable quality/framerate. If you're cool with that, then the flipside is that you can play most things and it will work surprisingly well for just about everything. Like my primary use case is older RPGs and things that typically don't have any controller support at all and they work great with the trackpads. Being able to play stuff like that handheld is so, so good.

Battery life and size are the only real downsides, but battery life is acceptable and I find the size comfortable for my big hands. You'll need some kind of external battery pack for really extended play away from a charger, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It won't be for away from a charger if I pull the trigger, it'll be for killing downtime at work. I bought a high powered gaming laptop for the same purpose but the fan is just slightly less loud than a jet engine takeoff and I feel like I'm irritating people with it - as well as myself - so I don't use it. And it gets so loving hot.

How's the Deck's heat management/ fan volume?