Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

name one Supergoku69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Indecisive Squirrel posted:

I’d like to suggest the name Pickle for one of the new chicks. :)

We already have a Pickle, a fiesty little black bantam Cochin mix hen. Pick again!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
In honor of seeing Megadeth for the 12th time I resubmit Dave Cluckstaine and add MEGACHICK to the pile

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
MEGACHICK needs to go to the chick with the most attitude.

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We already have a Pickle, a fiesty little black bantam Cochin mix hen. Pick again!

Oops! Then how about Mara :3:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It was late, before, so just confirming my pick (on behalf of forums poster Pickled Tink) is "Deliciousaurus".

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We have our first pip! #17 has popped a bit of eggshell loose. :derp:
Not moving the camera yet, since no unzipping has started. I'll check the eggs every 30 minutes and move the cam when it's time.

EDIT: Also, #16 has pipped! #16 is actually progressing, so I'm getting ready to move the camera.

EDIT, AGAIN: #10 has also pipped--that makes three eggs!
However #10 has pipped at the small end of the egg--the WRONG end, and will likely be an assisted hatch when the time comes.

I've updated the OP with the new round of eggs.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 14, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Okay, I'm going to bed, so I'm setting the cam on the eggs just in case anyone pops out overnight.

Pipped eggs:
#17, front and center.
#16, just behind it, has pipped and unzipped a bit on the underside of the egg and is sticking her beak out.
#10, the light-colored egg to the left of 17, has pipped in the front at the small end and has expanded her pip a bit.

VVV The X and O marks are so we can tell when we've turned the eggs throughout incubtion. We don't play some kind of weird C-Seed Tic-Tac-Toe with them, LOL.

Not all *that* often, anyway.

EDIT: Hey lookee, as of today I've officially been a Goon* for 17 years!

*A long-term insanity shared by many here. :derp:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 18, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

X-EGG

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#10 unzipping!

...and she's out! Another blondie but going very white as she dries out, with some dark stripes on her undersides, and she has feathred legs and feet. We'll choose a name for her later on.

We're due for thunderstorms this afternoon--I just want to say, if we lose power, DON'T WORRY. We have scads of broody hens that can finish out the hatch.One of the hens will be installed in the brooder box as mom this time around--probably Marble, a bantam Cochin mix hen.
​I haven't been able to tell if #10 has feather legs/feet or not yet.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 14, 2023

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I just can't believe we are having two chickam super events with all the baby birbs in one year, we don't deserve this, you're spoiling us

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Enjoyed watching #10's long, floppy journey from one side of the incubator to the other, #16 chipping away the whole time too :buddy:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Goatse and Gallant posted:

I just can't believe we are having two chickam super events with all the baby birbs in one year, we don't deserve this, you're spoiling us

Had to do it, it's our 15th year of Chickam! :v:

VVV She's been back and forth back there a couple of times, she can get out okay. But thanks for watching over them for us, that's one thing we REALLY appreciate.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 14, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think #10 may actually be stuck between the egg and the warmer? She keeps trying to get out.

e: Whoops, got the number wrong. The fully-hatched chick.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 14, 2023

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Had to do it, it's our 15th year of Chickam! :v:

You know goons will want three batches at some point!! We can't get enough of the babbies, we will never!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Goatse and Gallant posted:

You know goons will want three batches at some point!! We can't get enough of the babbies, we will never!!

With EACH hatch comes 2 months of chickens in my house. :suicide:
The first hatch was April 6th. With today's hatch, I'll have chicks in the house until mid-July (I can only overlap the oldest/newest chicks by 2 weeks).
So...yeah, sorry, NO.

Also...Chickam ain't cheap. One hatch, with feed, vaccines, mealworms, etc. runs us around $100 to $140.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 14, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#16 is unzipping and will be out soon!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A NEW FRIEND EMERGES

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

BABY :neckbeard:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Names!

#10 (the white bantam chick) is named 'Cao Cao' by Chaosfeather.
#16 (the dark chick) is named 'Deliciousaurus' by Leperflesh (on behalf of Tickled Pink).

#17 is unzipping! No new pips as yet on the other eggs.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Names!

#10 (the white bantam chick) is named 'Cao Cao' by Chaosfeather.

:kimchi: an honor! What a beautiful little warlord!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Did I submit a name? If I did I want to change it to Käärijä, in honour of the Eurovision winner of our hearts

(KAH-ri-ya)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How do I buy a chicken name

I want to name one Nom Epique what's the charger from the naming rights to one

Pls don't pull the bilge switch on my wallet

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Did I submit a name? If I did I want to change it to Käärijä, in honour of the Eurovision winner of our hearts

(KAH-ri-ya)

You'd submitted 'York'. Do you want to switch?

Also, Tsao Tsao fitting *right* in here in WeirdoLand (she scared the Hell outta 12_String)...
Jacks Henhouse Chickam DEAD Stream :byodood:

And equal time basting the other side...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 15, 2023

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How do I buy a chicken name

I want to name one Nom Epique what's the charger from the naming rights to one

Pls don't pull the bilge switch on my wallet

All by chance, the kid picks a name out of a hat.

Our power is flickering, if it goes out, we have broody hens to take over the eggs/chicks, and the older chicks are feathered enough to keep each other warm, so no worries. It's thunderstorming here today.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 15, 2023

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

You'd submitted 'York'. Do you want to switch?

Yes please!

Good luck with your power. Did your neighbour's terrifying leaning pole ever get fixed?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Yes please!

Good luck with your power. Did your neighbour's terrifying leaning pole ever get fixed?

Nope! Still just as it was!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Mama hen incoming in about an hour!
We'll try Marble first, if she doesn't work out we have others we can try. The two hatched chicks will be placed under her, the cam will stay on the pipped egg.

EDIT--Welp, we tried Marble (first-timer) and Bus (who has experience), both did the same thing--walked away from the little chicks and tried to get to the older chicks. So for now, no mama hen. We'll try again tomorrow during the day--if the big chicks are out in the small run, we should get a broody to accept the little ones, and by the time the older chicks come back in, she'll be settled. The thunderstorms should be done with, so...fingers crossed for tomorrow.
The chicks can be a few days old and will still accept a hen for mom, so we've got time.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 15, 2023

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I am SO excited to finally see mama hen going on on the action and see how she's doing it! Finally I get to see it live!! :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

#16 (the dark chick) is named 'Deliciousaurus' by Leperflesh (on behalf of Tickled Pink).[/b]

YES!

I'm very pleased. Thank you VS. I watched this one hatch, and I've missed the actual hatching moment of all other chicks this year, so that's a pretty great coincidence!

(also, that's pickled tink, not tickled pink lol)

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they are being so cute right now :3:

e fighting for the corner

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxjYqB5WLylYEOzok6Tpbt50pYBT9TuSXf

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 15, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Every damned year Leperflesh brings up chickcam to me in chat telling me to go look at it. He's a baby animal fanatic, I swear.

I am glad that the ones in the incubator look healthy. I'm not sure about happy as I can't read bird facial expressions but I assume they are in their own avian way. In fairness, I have to declaim "ownership" of the name Deliciousaurus. It's just what I call all chickens and he thought it was funny and submitted it on his own.

I hope you have many successful unassisted hatchings.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Can I submit the name CHICKAM PRIME rib

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Both Tsao and Delicious have been removed to the brooder box, where they and the older chicks are staring at each other.
I checked #17 again, she's still in draw-down and is alert, active and peeping, so we'll just...wait.
No pips on any other eggs right now.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#17 has hatched!
And...it was weird. What is it with the leg thing with this batch?!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Finally I was able to watch the entire hatching process on 17!! Always only could see it partially before, 17 you're now officially my baby :haibrower:
Such a cutie

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

#17 is ALL attitude. I'm thinking her daddy is Bacon, our Belgian Danvers roo--his 'Brat' gene is a strong one, his daughter Rapunzel has it.
We'll pick a name for 17 in just a bit.

She REALLY wants out of there and seems good and strong. So when we remove her to the brooder, I'll move the camera with her--there are no pips on the rest of the eggs. I'll leave them in the incubator to catch any latecomers, though.

EDIT: #17 has a name! It's 'Spam'. Spam is REALLY friendly and comes over to see what you're doing, and very vocal...calling 'rooster' on this one...

EDIT 2: All three chicks and the camera are now in the chick box. #17, Spam, has a blue leg band to tell her apart from Delicious.
The older babies will go out to the small run in a bit, at that time we'll try again to introduce a mama hen. No new pips on the remaining eggs yet...

EDIT 3: New update pics of the older chicks, the new kids and the brooder box on my Twitter @Chickam2008 account...

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 15, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/MR7xrX9.mp4

They turned into adorable floofballs so fast! :stwoon:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, we gave it our best shot and tried 6 or 7 different broody hens, but they all had the universal reaction of seeing chicks, knowing THEY didn't hatch them, and then afraid mama was gonna show up and whup 'em. That's the problem with trying to do this during the day.
In the dark of night, the hen sits down, you slip the chicks under her, they all sleep--and by morning, they are hers. MUCH easier.
Trying to do this during the day is an uphill battle all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Better luck in the dark of night! Also I am so proud of my goofy, feathered CHICKAM child :allears: