Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The thing that struck me about Mulan was how small it felt. The animated film is great at creating a sense of scale and anything involving ancient China lends itself to grand, sweeping events. Even their thousand episode historical TV dramas tend to feel huge, while Mulan was small. The Hun invasion seemed to involve about ten people and one small village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

galagazombie posted:

“Why spend money to train and nurture talent when I can just poach it from another studio who has?” Says every studio standing in a big circle looking at the studio to their right.

Except Disney largely poaches from the indie circuit and picks up directors who made one or two movies with some buzz and gives them a $200 million blockbuster so they can be pushed around by studio executives rather than make interesting creative choices.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Except Disney largely poaches from the indie circuit and picks up directors who made one or two movies with some buzz and gives them a $200 million blockbuster so they can be pushed around by studio executives rather than make interesting creative choices.

Ocassionally they do hire someone like Guy Ritchie or Sam Raimi but it's always far from their best work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Kevin feige said he wanted to hire more established people like Raimi because he probably didn’t have worry as much lol

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

Ocassionally they do hire someone like Guy Ritchie or Sam Raimi but it's always far from their best work.

In the case of Edgar Wright, he quit because he found Disney too demanding and couldn’t make the Ant Man movie he wanted to make.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember people on this forum arguing that Peyton Reed was an improvement on Wright. That might have been the first time I truly realized how truly mind rotting brand worship is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember people on this forum arguing that Peyton Reed was an improvement on Wright. That might have been the first time I truly realized how truly mind rotting brand worship is.

Lol so many people are convinced the Wright version was no good because the "leaks" confirmed there was no Luis and Scott was gunna be more of a prick instead of a loveable schmuck.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Keep in mind that Down with Love is fantastic and in like '05 he said he wanted to make a FF movie in that vein. So I think a lot of people had a very different idea of what an MCU Peyton Reed would look like.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Say one thing for Ritchie he seems to have used the momentum from his Aladdin remake (which made a billion dollars) to put out a little 30 million dollar movie he actually cares about every year since.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

The thing that struck me about Mulan was how small it felt. The animated film is great at creating a sense of scale and anything involving ancient China lends itself to grand, sweeping events. Even their thousand episode historical TV dramas tend to feel huge, while Mulan was small. The Hun invasion seemed to involve about ten people and one small village.

That is interesting now that you mention it and reminds me of why what I saw looked so bad, it had this real feel of like "we're imitating lower budget costume TV dramas because that's what China watches without understanding that they look like that to stay in budget" like oh hey here's that cheapass exterior corridor wall with only two people along the entire length for a secret conversation that's in every single historical show.

If they wanted to ape historical China stuff should have looked towards stuff like either Curse of the Golden Flower (relatively small scale but super densely detailed performances and sets and costumes) or Red Cliff (just say gently caress it and go crazy huge) if they wanted to do Mulan in live action. Because it even though Mulan isn't like a pure action flick it really does feel massive.

Instead it's something you wouldn't stay on if you were flipping channels because it just looks like some whatever show even more so than the most complained about MCU flicks imo. Shameful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol so many people are convinced the Wright version was no good because the "leaks" confirmed there was no Luis and Scott was gunna be more of a prick instead of a loveable schmuck.

i dunno, considering his next project after leaving Ant Man was Baby Driver, not sure we can count on his version as having been good either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baby Driver rocks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll have to rewatch but I thought it was kinda stinky and bland for a Wright movie

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

It's tonally all over the place and the third act is a wet fart.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cacator posted:

It's tonally all over the place and the third act is a wet fart.

you could describe a lot of "classics" this way to be quite honest

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

kalel posted:

you could describe a lot of "classics" this way to be quite honest

True. Casablanca, what a stinker!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Jon Hamm's villian turn in the third act makes the film

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My lizard brain was really expecting that spoiler text to be Jon Hamm's John Ham.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Baby Driver was good, you absolute weirdos, even if two of the cast turned out to be sex pests, which does make it a little hard to rewatch.

A few years back, I got to interview Debbie Evans, one of the OG stunt drivers in Hollywood. She's currently Michelle Rodriguez's stunt driver, but she was also Trinity's and Sarah Connor's long before that. Anyway, I asked her what film had stunt work that really impressed her recently and she said Baby Driver had some stunts even she'd never seen before. I figured she was probably just being hyperbolic until I watched it. The chases in that are loving crazy.

Neo Rasa posted:

That is interesting now that you mention it and reminds me of why what I saw looked so bad, it had this real feel of like "we're imitating lower budget costume TV dramas because that's what China watches without understanding that they look like that to stay in budget" like oh hey here's that cheapass exterior corridor wall with only two people along the entire length for a secret conversation that's in every single historical show.

If they wanted to ape historical China stuff should have looked towards stuff like either Curse of the Golden Flower (relatively small scale but super densely detailed performances and sets and costumes) or Red Cliff (just say gently caress it and go crazy huge) if they wanted to do Mulan in live action. Because it even though Mulan isn't like a pure action flick it really does feel massive.

Instead it's something you wouldn't stay on if you were flipping channels because it just looks like some whatever show even more so than the most complained about MCU flicks imo. Shameful.

There's one on Netflix I got really into called 'Kings War' about the collapse of the Qin and the establishment of the Han. It's mostly what you're talking about : small cheap sets and costumes with about ten people at most. Every now and then, though, they cut to these elaborate battle scenes that were clearly filmed by someone else somewhere else and with a lot more money. They reuse shots every now and then as well. It can be pretty jarring (especially since I was marathoning it instead of watching it week to week) but it does help the series feel bigger in budget and scale than it actually is.

Anyway, Mulan doesn't do this. It cuts from conversations with ten people to battles with ten people. Also, dubbing Jet Li was probably one of the weirdest choices I can remember in a big movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

baby driver is great but that ending is super :question::question::question:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm didn't super enjoy baby driver, but it has the great gag of that one dude saying "if you don't see me again it's cuz I'm dead" and then he's never seen again lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Baby Driver was going to suck based off the first trailer I saw but ended up liking it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If Baby Driver was set on a spaceship but kept the rest of the plot the same, it would have been a better young Han Solo movie than Solo. He even wears the Han Solo shirt and vest!

Haha, and looking it up now Ansel Elgort actually did audition to play Young Han.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who's the second sex pest after spacey in baby driver?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Who's the second sex pest after spacey in baby driver?

Egort. It started with 'he was dming underage girls' and ended with a pretty credible sexual assault allegation.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh lol I guess that's why the movie the two of them did (billionaire bicycle club or something) got dumped out and forgotten immediately

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh lol I guess that's why the movie the two of them did (billionaire bicycle club or something) got dumped out and forgotten immediately

Its why all the trailers and ads for West Side Story kind of just pretended he didn't exist.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

muscles like this! posted:

Its why all the trailers and ads for West Side Story kind of just pretended he didn't exist.
Yeah, but his utterly monstrous size and presence was a - goddam I gotta say it - HUGE part of how that movie worked. It wasn’t really clear why everybody wanted Russ Tamblin on their side in a rumble, or why Maria locked into him so quickly, but Egert looked huge, dangerous, and interesting. Of course it’s Spielberg, a can of corn could have looked huge, dangerous, and interesting, but that’s the dude on set at the time.

I’m still astonished about how great that movie was, and in how many ways. Even the clear enunciation of the Spanish such that I, a high-school-Spanish-learner, could understand every word was perfect - I’d seen the kinda-bilingual touring version this was based on and didn’t catch it as well. And the audio, wow, I looked over when I heard the train go by. Man I love that movie.

Baby Driver being an action movie to a beat was a terrific idea that barely missed being an all time great, I’m happy to see Hamm the way I used to be happy seeing Spacey or Judy Davis. So glad that Spacey wasn’t great in this, if he delivered I’m really afraid I’d be more conflicted about wanting him to just Do The Right Thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bandy driver was wright attempting to make a mediocre driver movie and he succeeded

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Remulak posted:

Yeah, but his utterly monstrous size and presence was a - goddam I gotta say it - HUGE part of how that movie worked. It wasn’t really clear why everybody wanted Russ Tamblin on their side in a rumble, or why Maria locked into him so quickly, but Egert looked huge, dangerous, and interesting. Of course it’s Spielberg, a can of corn could have looked huge, dangerous, and interesting, but that’s the dude on set at the time.

I didn't find him intimidating in the least, although I accept that may have been the intent. He just looks like a lanky teen.

Now that I know Maria was in sexual jeopardy in every scene it does add an extra dimension of menace I suppose

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just came from a Fast X screener

poo poo gets pretty silly lol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

just came from a Fast X screener

poo poo gets pretty silly lol

Prepared to watch it this Thursday.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno, considering his next project after leaving Ant Man was Baby Driver, not sure we can count on his version as having been good either.

I didn’t see Baby Driver, but Last Night in Soho is baaaaaaad and really makes you question who thought any part of act three was a good idea.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Scott Pilgrim is his best movie idc, and also incredible soundtrack

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

hated everyone in that thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, Pilgrim reaches very high highs but bungled the ending. Hot Fuzz, however, is a perfect movie.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, Pilgrim reaches very high highs but bungled the ending. Hot Fuzz, however, is a perfect movie.
I don’t usually rewatch movies that often anymore but Hot Fuzz is an exception. It’s just brilliant the whole way through.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how do people feel about world's end

feel like that got memory holed

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

It was okay, I wasn't really a fan. I saw a recent Mastodon poster claim it was their favorite of the "trilogy," so I wouldn't say it got memory holed.

Edit: When you go from Sean of the Dead to freaking Hot Fuzz, honestly there is nowhere to go but down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I remember liking it enough when I watched it but really would struggle to tell you much about it now and have never had any real desire to see it again, unlike the other 2 movies.