Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BigFactory posted:

If you listened to them and said to yourself “well this kinda sucks and the singer is horrible”, you may be on your way to a dream theater free life.

The most noble pursuit: inventing time travel to go back to 1994 and stop James from eating that shrimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Future Bites has that eye-rolling part where it's just a voice listing a bunch of consumer products

you can't make fun of limited-edition box sets when that's like one of the things you're known for doing. I mean you can, but not when you're as self-serious as SW is about it

That voice being Elton John! I figured it had to be ironic at that point. SW being a big Abba fan, I could almost see him try Eurovision with something like Permanating or some of the no-man stuff

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anonymouse Mook posted:

That voice being Elton John! I figured it had to be ironic at that point. SW being a big Abba fan, I could almost see him try Eurovision with something like Permanating or some of the no-man stuff

Holy poo poo that's Sir Elton? wow, learn something new every day

I'd love to believe that he's being ironic but all personal evidence to date has shown to the contrary, but again the music is fantastic so who cares lol

but yeah he's outspokenly a huge pop fan too and I bet he could write some great Eurovision material

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'd been kinda regretting lately not buying the Yes Progeny 1972 box set when it came out as it's impossible to find cheap now. So I saw that Rhino is doing an LP rerelease of it.

Then I clicked on the link

$475.

Uh, no. It's also limited edition.

Nice of them to offer free shipping though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was front row for a Mars Volta show tonight, and let me tell you: if you're scared of going to see them because you think they might not play the old stuff, don't be. They played a bunch of stuff I wanted to hear from Deloused and Frances :stwoon: Cedric's voice sounded great and he's still got dance moves!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
any Yes fans in here might wanna see if Jon Anderson & the Band Geeks are playing anywhere near you, because I've been watching them on YouTube and seriously they're not far off from the Yessongs band, miles ahead of where Yes official are now. mostly the same set too, plus "Gates of Delirium"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

JAMOOOL posted:

any Yes fans in here might wanna see if Jon Anderson & the Band Geeks are playing anywhere near you, because I've been watching them on YouTube and seriously they're not far off from the Yessongs band, miles ahead of where Yes official are now. mostly the same set too, plus "Gates of Delirium"

The tour just ended in America.

I saw Anderson during his limited run with the Paul Green School of Rock last year, and the kids with him weren't that bad. I don't know how his voice has stayed this good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jon Anderson rules.

My friends mom who I miss dearly was a feng shui designer and her office was always full of hippy magazines and stuff like that. Invariably there would be an article in each one of them by Job Anderson about the healing power of crystals or how to talk to Celtic spirits or something like that. Living legend.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I caught Jon Anderson and the band geeks recently. I’ve seen real Yes 3 times in the early 2000s and this was better than all those times. Jon sounds just as good as ever, and I’m not sure how that’s possible at 78. If anything his pitch control is even more consistent than it was in the ‘70s.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I've been listening to parts of this Genesis BBC Broadcasts collection, and I think with that and Archive #2 I managed to compile an enhanced version of Three Sides Live:

quote:

Disk 1
- Turn It On Again (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Dodo (National Exhibition Centre, 81)
- Abacab (NEC, 81)
- Behind The Lines (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Duchess (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Me & Sarah Jane (Nassau Coliseum, 81)
- Follow You Follow Me (Lyceum, 80)
- Duke's Travels / End (Lyceum, 80)
- The Knife (Lyceum, 80)

Disk 2
- Misunderstanding (The Savoy, 81)
- In The Cage + Medley (NEC, 81)
- Afterglow (NEC, 81)
- No Reply At All (Savoy, 81)
- Man On The Corner (Savoy, 81)
- The Lady Lies (Lyceum, 80)
- One For The Vine (Drury Lane, 80)
- Fountain Of Salmacis (Unknown, 78)
- It / Watcher Of The Skies (Glasgow, 76)

Disk 3
- Paperlate
- You Might Recall
- Naminanu
- Me And Virgil
- Submarine
- Evidence Of Autumn
- Open Door
- The Day The Lights Went Out
- Vancouver

...This my most autistic post thus far

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I've been listening to parts of this Genesis BBC Broadcasts collection, and I think with that and Archive #2 I managed to compile an enhanced version of Three Sides Live:

...This my most autistic post thus far

If you haven’t heard it, there’s also a bootleg called Three Discs Live (It’s on YouTube) that’s basically an complete version of all the songs played on those tours that’s pretty solid.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

fartknocker posted:

If you haven’t heard it, there’s also a bootleg called Three Discs Live (It’s on YouTube) that’s basically an complete version of all the songs played on those tours that’s pretty solid.

OHHH nice let me see aaaaaaaaaaaand video removed.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
How did I miss both Threshold and Seventh Wonder dropping albums last year?

I gotta get my poo poo together.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Name the actual albums:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got all of them except the last one

also "go now" and "stop" (while not prog) are still quite catchy

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 30, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I feel embarrassed I only got three of them off the top of my head:

Lizard’s Feet in Gelatin = Larks Tongue in Aspic
Over the Hedge = Close to the Edge
Crying all Night = Calling All Stations

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fartknocker posted:

I feel embarrassed I only got three of them off the top of my head:

Lizard’s Feet in Gelatin = Larks Tongue in Aspic
Over the Hedge = Close to the Edge
Crying all Night = Calling All Stations

You managed to not get The Final Cut?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jedit posted:

You managed to not get The Final Cut?

Never would have had it. I don’t like Pink Floyd and probably wouldn’t recognize any of their album covers beyond Dark Side of the Moon.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

surprising myself by realizing i only have two of those eight on vinyl. i should probably buy a $1 copy of love beach at some point, just to complete my collection of their pre-breakup stuff

i definitely should have copies of stand up and the magnificent moodies

weirdly, i kinda like parts of the final cut better than a lot of the album that came before it

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

weirdly, i kinda like parts of the final cut better than a lot of the album that came before it

I don’t think that’s weird. Gunner’s Dream and Two Suns in the Sunset are both really good later PF songs. The album as a whole is inoffensive, when parts of the Wall are really dumb. But it’s got some great songs, obviously.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

agreed - also i am inevitably biased against double albums

you gotta really need that space if you're making me flip that many sides

to say nothing of the triple live set, you gotta deserve that. i really like the band, but rock of ages and the last waltz are each on their own excessive. together, they're a loving problem

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Final Cut is a snoozefest.

I'm partial to Momentary Lapse myself. Some bangers on there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so what was the eighth record in the cartoon?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

hexwren posted:

so what was the eighth record in the cartoon?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present_(Van_der_Graaf_Generator_album)

I started to bug me so I had to search for it.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

BigFactory posted:

I don’t think that’s weird. Gunner’s Dream and Two Suns in the Sunset are both really good later PF songs. The album as a whole is inoffensive, when parts of the Wall are really dumb. But it’s got some great songs, obviously.

Gunner's Dream and Fletcher Memorial Home are my highlights. I think it's an ok album - not close to one of their best but a bit unfairly maligned.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Gunner's Dream and Fletcher Memorial Home are my highlights. I think it's an ok album - not close to one of their best but a bit unfairly maligned.

I don’t mind it and I hate most Pink Floyd after meddle. Although I listened to Division Bell this summer for the first time since the 90s and it’s not bad!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It's a fascinating album to read about though. Gilmour didn't even have a writing credit on it, I don't think, because of Waters. Just a completely dysfunctional mess at the end.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I don’t mind it and I hate most Pink Floyd after meddle. Although I listened to Division Bell this summer for the first time since the 90s and it’s not bad!

I think if they had cut a couple tracks and edited a couple others down - I did the math on this once, but forget which I picked - you could make a single LP of division bell that would have been fantastic

oh, here it is:

hexwren posted:

Division Bell would be great if it was boiled down to the length of a short LP.

Basically, I'd say if it went

Cluster One (edited down a bit)
What Do You Want From Me
Poles Apart
Marooned
Wearing the Inside Out
Keep Talking
High Hopes

which comes out to 44:23 before you edit down Cluster One a bit, you've got the starting point of a pretty drat good record---moreso if you trim down the other songs a bit. It wouldn't be the match of anything they did before 1980, but it wouldn't be the bloated mess it is now.

oh, huh. that's definitely a group I need to listen to more than just the one record of, maybe I'll snag that one next.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 2, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wiltsghost posted:

It's a fascinating album to read about though. Gilmour didn't even have a writing credit on it, I don't think, because of Waters. Just a completely dysfunctional mess at the end.

The Final Cut is basically just songs that were excised from The Wall for length. Gilmour didn't want a credit on it because as he put it, if they weren't good enough for The Wall they weren't good enough now. I think he was pissed off at the time - When The Tigers Broke Free was certainly a good addition to the movie, and not all the other songs on TFC are bad - but it's still valid to say that as a collection of offcuts it wasn't really necessary and describing it as "essentially a solo album" is 100% accurate.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Well’p. Just spent a mildly silly amount of money on a front row floor seat for Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, and Animals as Leaders in Vancouver this July. JP’s side of the stage. Gonna be looooooud

I just got tickets, 8 rows back at a heavy discount. Sounds like they aren't selling many tickets at any of their stops. I'm pretty much only going to see Devin, I've seen AAL before and don't care for Dream Theatre. I wonder if the three acts don't have as much cross-promotional appeal as Dream Theatre hoped. Or if their fanbase has fallen off more than they expected. I know if they didn't discount the prices I wouldn't have paid that much just to see the one act I wanted...

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Never really listened to much Steve Hackett solo stuff but I came across this song in a youtube comment and have been listening to it a bunch lately. The rest of the album is pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJSPwMqx68

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dreamsonic 2023 Vancouver trip report:
-bold choice of Dream Theater to be the worst band on their own tour
-John Petrucci's forehead is HUGE. Good lord. Must be all the HGH. And that haircut is not working for him. He looks like Thulsa Doom from Conan the barbarian.
-Devin playing the last song with dream theatre just made everybody in the venue realize how good the DT show could have been with a real frontman. I overheard some chatter from other people who weren't familiar with Devin. No lyric sheets at this point, he knows the song
-unlike the DT bassist or keyboardist apparently? Just staring at the charts on their iPads the entire show.
-of all the bands, Animals As Leaders made me want no seats on the floor the most. A couple pretty heavy sections. Everybody was standing the rest of the concert anyway so seats just got in the way.
-Devin was so good. Thought I'd be over deadhead from all the concert vids I've seen, but live it hits hard. The rest was all just good fun.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 22, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh hey my buddy and I were there. Second row, right in the middle. Great show, brilliant encore. I caught JP's pick when he threw one at the end of the set!

I think James actually sounded better than the last DT show I went to. There was at least one pretty decent scream I wasn’t expecting him to belt out.

e: Definitely echoing the part about Deadhead being just so powerful to witness live. The opening to Kingdom making basically everyone freak out was awesome too.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I knew they'd be together on tour, but Devin used to have a thing about not performing songs that he didn't write or contributed to, so it's nice that he joined the fun. There are videos of the last song from different gigs, and LaBrie's performances are very hit and miss (mostly miss), while Devin just gets better the more they perform together. I guess it's not fair to compare, since LaBrie had to struggle to keep his voice after the injury, while Devin expanded his range, and his voice only improved with years. Still, it's night and day when they are together on stage. Devin is simply one of the best live performers out there.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

stratdax posted:

-Devin playing the last song with dream theatre just made everybody in the venue realize how good the DT show could have been with a real frontman. I overheard some chatter from other people who weren't familiar with Devin. No lyric sheets at this point, he knows the song

what song was that?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Spirit Carries On. Tosin came out for it too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used to be frightened of singing I used to think James was the end. But that was before I'm not scared any more.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I have remastered the poo poo out of When Dream And Day Unite, the Falling To Infinity demos, and the NYC 3/4/93 show with the original Change of Seasons.

PM me if you'd like .wav files.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

My friend and I normally see DT every single opportunity we can, but they’ve reached the point where their albums since ADTOE have all just been decidedly mediocre and forgettable, and if I remember tickets were laughably expensive so we just aren’t going anymore.

Plus across the last few times we’ve seen them they’ve played all of Images and Words, all of SFAM, and I think even all of Awake, with A Change of Seasons in there too, so there’s no point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

TL playing Sleepless just now, at TOAPP